Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Invisible Inc.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just finished the game on Expert with retro Banks and Internationale. I got a pretty lucky last mission, as there were 2 long path leading to the security server room, which allowed me to avoid crossing the gards, and stun 5 at the same time with a double shock trap. I didn't even have to use my EMP in the mission.
For the mission before, given that I had 4 guards in the second room (2 patroling and 2 stationary), I ended up KOing everyone and leaving 2 agents to babysit them all. It made the whole level much easier.

ColCol

Arcane
What does Archive Shalem offer? Am I missing something? He seems lacking.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
What does Archive Shalem offer? Am I missing something? He seems lacking.

What gets me about Archive Shalem is he is archived as 'combat medic'. I can understand regular Shalem isn't very good because he is an assassin and that isn't what you want most of the time. The Vehicular Lance is a bit of a weakish item overall too. Also it kind of seems to me that quite a few of the archive agents aren't quite as good. I have the impression that they aren't all supposed to be equal anyhows.

spectre

Arcane
^Its because the ventricular lance used to be a reusable medikit, it even has the same icon and description. Guess they made a quick and dirty item swap and forgot to clean up.

Yep, currently the differences between shalem versions are very superficial, archived version gets one more shot per reload and you can fully customise his cybernetics. He also gets a better zapper.

ColCol

Arcane
Tried a run with Monster and the faust program. The daemon spawning potential of this build ensured that my team did not make it past the first mission.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If you use Faust you probably want to use Brimstone and take Central, too.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's not THAT noticeable but it's better than nothing. Plus playing with Faust and Central (she gives you +5 power whenever a daemon activates) power will never be an issue so the +3 cost is manageable until you find a better hacking program at one of the cat-dude shops. Also, although it's not well explained, you still get the 10% passive bonus to 'reversing' a daemon merely by having it in your software list. Was confirmed be one of the devs on the Steam forums.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Also, although it's not well explained, you still get the 10% passive bonus to 'reversing' a daemon merely by having it in your software list. Was confirmed be one of the devs on the Steam forums.

So in other words :1 You have a 10% chance each turn to reverse a Daemon.
2 Each Daemon you have installed has a 10% chance to go away.
Sorry if it seems like I am nit picking but these would be a bit of a difference between these two things. Also I now think perhaps having this program might not be so bad if you could get to a server farm before doing too many missions. Thanks for the info btw.

Edit : Yeah it seemed fairly clear that Central had been designed to go hand in hand with Faust.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Anytime a daemon triggers there's a small chance (default) to turn into a positive one. Reversing is a bad choice of words on my part. Not every bad daemon has a corresponding good daemon -- you simply get one of the good ones instead of one of the bad ones (the good ones are limited to three that I know of: +credits, +agent AP for X turns, and -power costs for hacking programs for X turns). Having the Brimstone program in your software 'tray' ups that chance by 10%.

But, yeah, it's anytime a daemon would activate. Either when you hack into an object in the mainframe or by having it 'spawn' because of Faust. You'll either get the negative one or you'll win your roll and get the positive one. Yes, it's still a low chance. Would I ever consistently use Faust? No. Would I buy Brimstone if I had the credits to stick it in my hacking tray? Yes.

Edit: To clear up something Hatred said, once you're 'infected' with the negative daemon there's no getting rid of it. The game won't reroll every turn and flip it to positive. It's only on the initial trigger.

So, again, if you ARE going to use Faust, you should go ahead and take Brimstone as your initial hack and put Central on your starting squad. Otherwise don't bother with Faust.

Edit 2: Brimstone's effect, albeit small, can be extremely helpful on the later days of Endless games where on arrival you will get infected by particularly brutal daemons (one I got was +3 to all item cooldowns for TWENTY turns). If you can get Brimstone to trigger, you'll avoid it.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Thanks again Metro ! I was quite mistaken about what I thought it did and you have saved me from some in game frustration and then some. :salute:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No problem. I was unclear about it myself but there are a lot of developers on the Steam forums who respond to threads.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Klei is very hands on (in addition to being able to develop excellent games). It's for that reason and Mark of the Ninja, Don't Starve, and Invisible Inc. that I'll preorder whatever project they announce next (since you usually get it at a significant discount).

Athelas

Arcane
Just finished the campaign. It's surprisingly good. The game throws some interesting curveballs your way (hack turrets so they don't shoot you - turrets end up shooting guards which raises the alarm). The fact that the alarm rises over time can make the 'careful' approach just as risky as a more aggressive playstyle. The only thing I was missing was the ability to draw guard attention to a specific square by throwing stuff or something (although that probably would have made setting up ambushes and the likes way too easy).

The final mission ended up being somewhat easy thanks to Gladstone's PWR augment and because I stocked up on lots of armor-piercing stuff. I was even ready to make a dramatic last stand in the mainframe room by barricading everyone inside and arming the door with a shock trap, but it wasn't even necessary.

Will have to replay since I feel I've only scratched the surface.

Are agents you rescued in a previous game supposed to be selectable when you start a new game? Because only one of the agents I rescued was, the other one wasn't.

Last edited:

ColCol

Arcane
Are agents you rescued in a previous game supposed to be selectable when you start a new game? Because only one of the agents I rescued was, the other one wasn't.

No, only when you unlock them with (finished) campaign points.

roshan

Arcane
Wow this is really good stuff! Just doing the first mission (post tutorial) and fucked up almost irreversibly, is there anyway to restart it from the beginning?

spectre

Arcane
You can restart a mission fully on the lowest difficulty setting (or by enabling the level restart option), but I've never tried that tbh.

Athleas said:
The only thing I was missing was the ability to draw guard attention to a specific square by throwing stuff or something (although that probably would have made setting up ambushes and the likes way too easy).
Apart from "ping", you can do this by manipulating doors or by running while in hearing range. It's been deliberately made difficult and/or risky as otherwise it made the game way too easy.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Wow this is really good stuff! Just doing the first mission (post tutorial) and fucked up almost irreversibly, is there anyway to restart it from the beginning?

You can use rewind(s) depending on your difficulty. Also dependign on dfficulty, it's possible to re-do a mission. But if you do, the layout gets regenerated so it's a "new map". Or if you're ojnly just out of tutorial, you cna always restart the campaign.
For the maximum fun though, try to make the best of what you've left and get as far as possible. You're meant to fail the first half dozen tries or so while learning.

Silva

Arcane
Shit. I was at the penultimate mission on Experienced and got wiped because I tried to get just one more safe instead of going to the exit. Well, at least I opened a couple new "skins" for my boys - one where Decker has Blade Runner´s Deckard gun, and other where Banks begins with a pwr-to-money converter by default. Cool.

And BTW, is it just me or Decker starting implant (the one that identifies daemons) doesnt fit his style at all ? I mean, he is clearly a infiltrator/scout, he should have got some mobility-related ability or something.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And BTW, is it just me or Decker starting implant (the one that identifies daemons) doesnt fit his style at all ? I mean, he is clearly a infiltrator/scout, he should have got some mobility-related ability or something.

Thats been brought up on their forums.
He certainly needs a better aug and Shalem needs to be rethought or made less likely to turn up in detention.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
I want to try this game but it constantly gives out "MSVCR110.dll is missing error" no matter where i download it from. I guess i will try it out when it's on steam discount.
I'm kind of curious what the go with people pirating cheap games is. Where I live (Australia) the game costs about 1.3 hours of minimum wage. I can understand someone pirating AAA crap like tw3 since the price is more like most of a days pay.
I see a lot of people talking about how they cannot afford games which cost almost nothing and I don't really get it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom