Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I am enjoying again Oblivion

Sentenza

Scholar
Excrément said:
[............]

MW was not that good but you liked OB???

For fuck sake, I kinda liked MW despite all his flaws; but in OB they literally improve things they don't need to improve (I don't give a shit about grafix/combat) and fucked everithing else in a manner I woulnd't think it will be possible

and note that, technically, I'm not even an 'RPG fan'...

match000

Novice
actually i have started playing oblivion for 2 weeks now and it is really good.

Pro's:

fast travel - straight to the action, no time wasted traveling
quest markers - faster action, dont have to waste time finding shit

dialogue - simpler than the wiki crap that MW had. this makes it easy to talk to NPC cuz they only say what is important not a bunch of junk

graphics - really good, even on my geforce 7300 LE

quests - more varied than MW, alot less fetch and fedex crap. combined with fast travel, they are much less tedious

Con's:

no uber loot scattered in the world - i spend time exploring dungeons to find absolutely nothing other than some stupid glowing 'welkynd' stones. i want someo massive uber loot hidden everywhere, and tons of varieties of loot

thievery - sucks alot. nothing like thief - not able to noise distract guards or ppl, no water arrows, no vine arrows, no wall climbing, light detection/hiding sucks, and NO BLACKJACK

magic - not enough cool magic spells with uber graphics animations

npc level scaling - was wack so used some mods.

sabishii

Arbiter
match000 said:
quests - more varied than MW, alot less fetch and fedex crap. combined with fast travel, they are much less tedious
It should have a button to complete the quest without going anywhere. That would be even less tedious.

Sentenza

Scholar
match000 said:
Pro's:

fast travel - straight to the action, no time wasted traveling
quest markers - faster action, dont have to waste time finding shit
Scanning for Sarcasm ========================== [Failed]

Chip

Educated
match00, you realize none of those pro's you mentioned make it a good rpg.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Admiral jimbob said:
How's the performance on the 98 Emulator? Better or worse than DOSBux?
What he's using is NOT an emulator, it's a virtual machine. It is also NOT an application running under XP. It is a virtual machine, which is really running Windows 98 directly (nearly) on his hardware with a very minimal translation layer. (Less if the CPU supports hw virtualization at the CPU level AM2 Athlon/FXs, and P4s or newer IIRC.)

It's performance should be NEAR that of the OS having been directly installed and used as the main, and so, should be better performing overall than DOSBOX. The drawback is that you have to install the OS in question which with windows/linux can be sizeable. If you stuck with using it for running DOS(or clone) the size is trivial(few hundred k).

Shoelip

Arbiter
"Progress Quest is a next generation computer role-playing game. Gamers who have played modern online role-playing games, or almost any computer role-playing game, or who have at any time installed or upgraded their operating system, will find themselves incredibly comfortable with Progress Quest's very familiar gameplay. Progress Quest follows reverently in the footsteps of recent smash hit online worlds, but is careful to streamline the more tedious aspects of those offerings. Players will still have the satisfaction of building their character from a ninety-pound level 1 teenager, to an incredibly puissant, magically imbued warrior, well able to snuff out the lives of a barnload of bugbears without need of so much as a lunch break. Yet, gone are the tedious micromanagement and other frustrations common to that older generation of RPG's."

http://www.progressquest.com/

Sorry, no uber graphics, but you won't have time to look at them anyway since it's streamlined to avoid all that bothsome interaction. It's not really my thing, but to each their own.

Excrément

Arbiter
Sentenza said:
Excrément said:
[............]

MW was not that good but you liked OB???

For fuck sake, I kinda liked MW despite all his flaws; but in OB they literally improve things they don't need to improve (I don't give a shit about grafix/combat) and fucked everithing else in a manner I woulnd't think it will be possible

and note that, technically, I'm not even an 'RPG fan'...

I really didn't enjoy Morrowind, storyline was as dumb as the oblivion storyline, 4 hours of play and you were a supernatural god (I prefer a broken level scaling system like in Oblivion and in Daggerfall that this non-challenging game), no gameplay, dungeons were boring, too many bugs, too static, no depth (as in Oblivion), no surprises.
the only good thing of Morrowind was maybe the graphics and the character creation system.

KreideBein

Scholar
Actually, Morrowind has Oblivion beat in several other categories.

Exploration: In MW, exploring was actually fun and meaningful. Unlike OB, the dungeons in MW were often quite creative (though there were many "three room" type dungeons as well), and had nice, hand-placed loot in them that actually made the trip worth it.

Mutliple ways to solve quests: Okay, both MW and OB completely suck in this regard. But MW manages to slightly edge out OB in this category, since there were quite a few quests that allowed the player multiple ways of accomplishing their goal.

Dialogue: Once again, both MW and OB are total crap with dialogue. But again, MW is better than OB. In MW, the dialoge, though incredibly boring, was much richer and had much more information. In OB... well, "I saw a mudcrab yesterday." And that's all I have to say about that.

Art style: The art style in OB is just a generic fantasy setting that is very samey no matter where you go. In MW, there were quite a few artistically creative areas, such as the Telvani and Redoran buildings.

Longevity: The longevity of MW is vastly higher than OB. Because of the level and loot scaling of OB, there's little reason to play more than fifty or so hours (if you can tolerate it for that long). Also, there are a lot of great mods out for MW that can add hundreds of hours of gameplay. Perhaps OB will have similar mods later, but most of the current mods are just item additions or gameplay changes.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Where are all these cool dungeons everyone is now claiming Morrowind had? 50% of the game consists of caves, which are filled with exactly 3 Dunmer each, usually equiped with common clothes or maybe Netch leather, and 14 crates filled with silverware and pots. The next 25% are codex locations, which consists of halls with office cubicles (stocked with office supplies and random gold coins on the ground). And the last 25% are Dwemer and Daedric ruins, which have either the Dwemer set of bad guys (ghost, roly poly fighter robot, and robot spiders) or the Daedric set (scamps, daedra, dremora, golden saints, winged twilights, Orcs in robes), respectively. In Dwemer ruins you get a lot of valuable stuff that weights a lot, and in the Daedric ruins you may get a jewel on a platter under a statue. WOOO DUNGEONS FIVE TIMES BETTER.

sheek

Arbiter
I think it's clear Oblivion beats Morrowind. TES3 was one of the worst piece of shit ever made, and it wasn't only for being a non-RPG. The fighting was awful, the dungeons stupid and the graphics were horrible. From what I've heard Oblivion improved in all three areas (but in nothing else) so it would be a decent Action game.

I still haven't played it and I never had the impulse to buy it but I am not going to criticize Excrément or whoever enjoys it casually. I don't like any Action game anyway, it's a difference of tastes.

suibhne

Erudite
Lord Chambers said:
Where are all these cool dungeons everyone is now claiming Morrowind had? 50% of the game consists of caves, which are filled with exactly 3 Dunmer each, usually equiped with common clothes or maybe Netch leather, and 14 crates filled with silverware and pots. The next 25% are codex locations, which consists of halls with office cubicles (stocked with office supplies and random gold coins on the ground). And the last 25% are Dwemer and Daedric ruins, which have either the Dwemer set of bad guys (ghost, roly poly fighter robot, and robot spiders) or the Daedric set (scamps, daedra, dremora, golden saints, winged twilights, Orcs in robes), respectively. In Dwemer ruins you get a lot of valuable stuff that weights a lot, and in the Daedric ruins you may get a jewel on a platter under a statue. WOOO DUNGEONS FIVE TIMES BETTER.

There were some pretty cool dungeons out there - a sunken Daedric tomb in the west, an underground Daedric sepulchre north of the Ashlands with a magical Daedric mask, a cavern (in the southeast iirc?) which ended in an maze, an underground tomb with a boat, some pretty nifty vertical caves with deep waterfalls requiring levitation, etc. Many had hand-placed loot like a Daedric bow, Daedric arrows, pieces of Daedric armor, or powerful magical weapons. The fact that I still remember some of these dungeons, yet can only recall two Oblivion dungeons from maybe six months ago...well, that says something, and not about my memory loss. :wink: Furthermore, MW dungeons were more meaningful apart from their design simply because the (occasional) hand-placed loot was genuinely worth it: Glass, Ebony, and Daedric pieces were exceedingly rare throughout the gameworld, so the reward for discovering them was significant. All of Morrowind offered less than 2 full sets of Daedric armor iirc, whereas you can leave a single dungeon in Oblivion with multiple sets of Glass, Daedric, etc. armor and a boatload of weapons.

Deacdo

Liturgist
What about all the mods? I hear there are ones that adjust skill development, remove scaling, and add new quests (and adjust old ones) that are well received. Has anyone tried the game with some good mods?

I didn't have much interest in the game when it was released, but if some of the mods it has it may be worth a look.

Excrément

Arbiter
if you forget all the PR bullshit, the famous dev quote ("there are a lot of political intrigues, radiant AI is sometimes too clever..."), the ESF fan base, the dumbs journalists reviews that angers you.
and now, imagine daggerfall and morrowind never existed and Oblivion is the first game from bethesda since Arena. imagine also that bethesda isn't the vilain that buy the fallout licence but a "small budget company" who have in his team a lot of black isle developer.
would you still say this game suck? won't you be a little bit more enthusiastic? I won't be surprised if many of you think this game is TEH best game EVAR!!!

I just want to point out that Oblivion-hate at the Codex is as irrational as the the Oblivion-love we see in the ESF.

sabishii

Arbiter
Excrément said:
if you forget all the PR bullshit, the famous dev quote ("there are a lot of political intrigues, radiant AI is sometimes too clever..."), the ESF fan base, the dumbs journalists reviews that angers you.
and now, imagine daggerfall and morrowind never existed and Oblivion is the first game from bethesda since Arena. imagine also that bethesda isn't the vilain that buy the fallout licence but a "small budget company" who have in his team a lot of black isle developer.
would you still say this game suck? won't you be a little bit more enthusiastic? I won't be surprised if many of you think this game is TEH best game EVAR!!!

I just want to point out that Oblivion-hate at the Codex is as irrational as the the Oblivion-love we see in the ESF.
I enjoyed playing with Oblivion... just as a child enjoys playing with a new toy for a couple days and then puts it away for eternity. The combat system was more intuitive and maybe more complex (melee-wise, at least) than Morrowind, and yes I was impressed by the graphics. But it did not offer me any reason to keep on playing it. Quests? Same redundant unimportant sidequests that affect nothing except more loot and some experience. While Gothic III definitely had some repetitive kill X number quests, there was a greater goal in gaining reputation with different factions. And not just for the goal of having the title of "leader" as in the TES games but in order to affect the game world itself by eradicating the other faction and what-not.

So there's no incentive to continue playing in terms of the setting. What about character advancement? Obviously, there is little due to level scaling. I hardly feel more powerful as I level up, so there's no incentive to level up. Besides that, even, there's still little incentive to gain experience. As I gain experience, all I gain (melee-wise) is more damage tacked onto my attacks. Of course, this is the same in the previous TES, but those games had substance in the game world, i.e. the previous paragraph, whereas this one does not and is thus simply an action game. In Diablo II I have incentive to play more because I get new, different abilities as I level and put in skill points. Back to Oblivion, treasure is also scaled so there's no incentive to get new loot. Bleh.

So, Oblivion had a nice little engine that I played with like a toy and then threw away. The world and setting offers nothing exciting, and the character advancement system is the same. There's simply no reason to keep on playing it.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Excrément said:

Wait, so pretending all of that stuff never happened is rational?

Excrément

Arbiter
Shoelip said:
Excrément said:

Wait, so pretending all of that stuff never happened is rational?

yes because the external environment destroy the objectivity.
all the people here know very well the rpg industry, read each biased reviews, know the predecessors of the game and are consequently ifluenced in their judgment.
if you are a new gamer, kiddie or adult, you don't give a shit to all this environment and so these people tend to react differently.
Each time I play a game, I wish knowing nothing because, I don't know for you, my best video game experiences dated back when I was discovering a new genre. that's why I have the nostalgy of railroad tycoon, daggerfall and indianpolis 500.
but strictly speaking, after playing agin these old games, I found rail road tycoon 2 better, oblivion better and indy car racing 2 better also even if I prefer the old games.

denizsi

Arcane

And you assume that no one has done that ( imagine this wasn't that etc.) based on... ? Apparently you still haven't grasped that people are capable of being objective, as illustrated by regular Codexers many many times, or that you simply don't read much. The third option is teh horror: you read but do not comprehend. Otherwise, you shouldn't be able to reach such bullshit conclusions.

I just want to point out that Oblivion-hate at the Codex is as irrational as the the Oblivion-love we see in the ESF

Perhaps you're mistaking regular Codexers with post-release ex-Oblivion-lover ESF refugees. Figures.

Excrément

Arbiter
denizsi said:

And you assume that no one has done that ( imagine this wasn't that etc.) based on... ? Apparently you still haven't grasped that people are capable of being objective, as illustrated by regular Codexers many many times, or that you simply don't read much. The third option is teh horror: you read but do not comprehend. Otherwise, you shouldn't be able to reach such bullshit conclusions.

I just want to point out that Oblivion-hate at the Codex is as irrational as the the Oblivion-love we see in the ESF

Perhaps you're mistaking regular Codexers with post-release ex-Oblivion-lover ESF refugees. Figures.

THat's the most "voulournish" argumentation ever made on this forum.
just replace "figures" by "period" it's like "You are a moron. Period"

Excrément

Arbiter
Monolith said:
Excrément said:
yes because the external environment destroy the objectivity.
You call it external environment, we call it standards.

huh? the PR non-bullshitness is a "standard" now? don't mix "honesty" with "standards".

VenomByte

Scholar
Morrowind still has a damn sight more to it than Oblivion.

- Vastly more lore
- A much deeper and more useful enchanting system
- A varied landscape (as opposed to Oblivion's hilly forests and foresty hills)
- Far more factions
- A lot of unique items

Olbivion is a 'go anywhere, do anything' RPG where there is no fucking point going anywhere or doing anything because it is shallow, empty, and the same wherever you go.

Morrowind may also have had sucky quests and dodgy combat, but the game world was at least interesting enough to bother exploring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom