Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I am enjoying again Oblivion

Excrément

Arbiter
as you may know I was one of the elderscroll series fan (even if morrowind wasn't that good) when oblivion was released and was consequently optimistic about it.
so when I played the game, I didn't have at all any prejudice and so did enjoy it even if I was disapointed by its lack of depth and originality.
but I did play the game only 60 hours and get bore.so I said to myself maybe the codex was right and I am a moron so I stopped playing the game 4 months ago.
I decided two weeks ago to try again, and holy fuck, I am still enjoying the game and for the first time in a elderscrolls game I really feel the difference between my two characters (the first one was stealth oriented, this one is a mage) in term of gameplay.

so yes there are no consequences in this to your action (like any elderscrolls game), the storyline isn't original at all (contrary to daggerfall), the quest compass is annoying at hell (but sometime useful for non-fun explorating part...) but it is the first time in a elderscrolls game that I feel three different balanced way of playing (mage/stealth/warrior), that dungeons are awesome and the combat system is finally quite good (no tactic at all but intuitive and immersive).

so yes according to your standard this game is definitively not a RPG (I fucking don't care), charmless, childish but ... excellent. and if I was a new comer to the series I am pretty sure this game would be for me the best game EVARRRRRRR! it's only because I have the nostalgy of the old days of daggerfall that Daggerfall will remain my favorite elderscrolls game.

am I the only "moron" here?

Nedrah

Erudite
If it had suceeded as an action game, the shitstorm here would have been considerably toned down. Whatever, I think we should let the dead horse rest in peace - can't use it for fighting anyways.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Personally, I dislike it because it failed to meet my expectations. I didn't buy into the hype, and I didn't scour the intarnets for every bit of info on it, but I still ended up being disappointed.

It's not bad from an anecdotal dungeon crawl experience. It has many negative points that you just can't chalk up to "It's fantasy! Give it a break!"

Although I find that Dark Messiah of M&M has much better combat and a killer online component. If you're looking for purely an action game, it's quite high on the list (in my opinion.)

I didn't buy either of them, though. I just played them on my brother's machine. Best of both worlds.

Castanova

Prophet
That's normal. Like a Paul W.S. Anderson or Michael Bay film, it'll keep you on your couch for an hour pretty easily. It's just that splash of existential malaise afterwards that makes you question the time investment.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Yeah, as I've mentioned before as a tech demo I'd give it a 9/10 or an 8/10 as an action-adventure game, while rating it a 1/10 as an RPG...

Also, it's makes for a nice stress and system stability test for my system whenever I make non-trivial changes/upgrades...

AZ

Liturgist
It has a nice engine, interesting as an action game, but fails as an rpg, as many has said.

My first thought was after playing it a bit, that whit a lot of work somebody might be able to make a nice total conversation mod out of it. But in this state it's not really fun.

suibhne

Erudite
Castanova said:
It's just that splash of existential malaise afterwards that makes you question the time investment.

QFT

The dungeons aren't good. The game is perfect for people who only scratch its surface, because they never realize everything underneath is the same everywhere; for those (like me) who love to explore every nook and cranny of the gameworld, the bland sameness quickly becomes downright painful and then makes us stab our eyes out with broken ale bottles.

Morrowind A) had much cooler unique dungeons, and B) provided more of a (gameworld) rationale for the dungeons cropping up everywhere.

Hazelnut

Erudite
suibhne said:
Castanova said:
It's just that splash of existential malaise afterwards that makes you question the time investment.

QFT

The dungeons aren't good. The game is perfect for people who only scratch its surface, because they never realize everything underneath is the same everywhere; for those (like me) who love to explore every nook and cranny of the gameworld, the bland sameness quickly becomes downright painful and then makes us stab our eyes out with broken ale bottles.

Morrowind A) had much cooler unique dungeons, and B) provided more of a (gameworld) rationale for the dungeons cropping up everywhere.

That sums it up nicely.

I think the only aspect you missed is that the game seemed to go out of it's way to break consistancy and consequently immersion. The veil was simply too fucking easy to pull back!

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
It's a fun game if you played like it was designed: for a casual player. That means no more then 60-90 minutes per day, otherwise the slow and annoying boredom and even fustration will start to kick in in the first 20 hours, but you're replaying it so it may start at 12 hours give or take.

I know I lasted arround 75 hours or so, completed everything there was to do quest-wise

Voss

Erudite
Nedrah said:
If it had suceeded as an action game, the shitstorm here would have been considerably toned down. Whatever, I think we should let the dead horse rest in peace - can't use it for fighting anyways.

Bah. You can still rip out a chunk and beat someone to death with it.

I recommend a leg bone, still gooey with rotten flesh, as a weapon of choice.

Then you can cut open the horse carcass and stuff the bodies of your victims inside.

Its perfect for dumb mother fuckers who are still making troll posts about fucking Bethesda and their shitty games.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Oblivion fails as an action game as well. Fable is a good action game. There is a lot going on, you fight multiple interesting enemies at a time, and have access to spells that actually do shit. There is nothing exciting about clicking rapidly to cockslap a Runt, or holding your shield up while a troll punches your shield. Possibly the only satisfying melee moment is when you power attack forward and kill a goblin in a single swipe. Possibly the single most dissapointing aspect of the action in Oblivion are the horrendously bad spells. Paralyze does something useful. Shooting fireballs, while everyday, is there. Shield even can be fun from time to time. Those. Are. The. Only. Cool spells. In the game. Fable lets you freeze time, enflame the ground all around you, and other, not amazingly hard to concieve of spells that are not increase luck by 10 or dispel for 35 points. God, Oblivion sucks. The only thing it succeeds is giving players an open world to LARP it up, which is something I guess I can't really enjoy since I don't have an imagination anymore.

Darkflame

Scholar
You enjoy it, good for you. Enjoy it while it lasts, which won't be long at all...

Oblivion's definitely a weak game, but you have to hand it to the guys who did the Dark Brotherhood quest line. That's probably one of the better representations of evil I've seen in an RPG. It's also deliciously morbid and disturbing.

golgotha

Liturgist
suibhne said:
Castanova said:

QFT

It's not even that so much as that Morrowind actually gave you a reason to explore those same dungeons. You never knew when you'd find a legendary item or a piece of Daedric armor in a hard to reach spot in a dungeon. Oblivion has none of that, making the feel of adventuring completely missing. Morrowind, to me, was a very good Action/Adventure game, while Oblivion doesn't even succeed in the Adventure department at all.

I thought I'd have at least a half decent time with Oblivion, especially since the Dark Brotherhood quests gave me such high hopes, but man did those crash down quickly.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I enjoy (or rather, did enjoy for the whole week I played it) sneaking around at night, breaking into people's homes and stealing their stuff.

I don't enjoy that no-one actually has anything that's worth stealing.

Oh and that I can't sneak-kill people (well, you can but not really) and then drag their bodies into the basement and hide them in a chest because:
  • You can't drag bodies through magical portal doorways;
  • You can't drag bodies upstairs (unlike in Thief where you hoik them over your shoulder);
  • You can't put bodies in chests but hey, that's innovation for you.

cutterjohn

Cipher
DarkUnderlord said:
I enjoy (or rather, did enjoy for the whole week I played it) sneaking around at night, breaking into people's homes and stealing their stuff.

Oh and that I can't sneak-kill people (well, you can but not really) and then drag their bodies into the basement and hide them in a chest because:
  • You can't drag bodies upstairs (unlike in Thief where you hoik them over your shoulder);
BS you can'y really drag bodies anywhere,I should know I tried just b4 I quit...

BTW: I used the attack & hide or whatever mod...

cutterjohn said:
BS you can'y really drag bodies anywhere,I should know I tried just b4 I quit...

Actually, not 100% true. When I killed the Argonian in the swamp on the Dark Brotherhood quest, I dragged his body all the way to the coast. It took me 15 minutes, but I got him floating down there eventually.

I agree on the compass, level scaling, and how retarded it was. You could be 3 football fields away and your compass will show you where a dungeon is located, that was extremely immersion breaking for me. Also, the no chance of finding kick-ass loot in these dungeons sealed the deal for me. At least in Morrowind their was a small chance of finding something that owns Umbra :) and finding an unexplored dungeon that just pops up right in front of you wasn't too bad either.

Chork

Scholar
Oblivion is crap in almost every possible way. The roleplaying is crap, the action is crap, and the exploration/sandbox elements are crap.

edit: And mods don't do anything to fix the fact that the game is rotten to the core.

Chork said:
Oblivion is crap in almost every possible way. The roleplaying is crap, the action is crap, and the exploration/sandbox elements are crap.

edit: And mods don't do anything to fix the fact that the game is rotten to the core.

So, from what I gather you think Oblivious is Rotten Core Crap. Needs a little more originality if you want me to be immersed in your post. But I don't think you care anyway so I will NOT submit this post. WHOOPS!!!

WittyName

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:

Indeed. You can get the same "stealth/thief mode" gameplay from GTA or even Return to Castle Wolfenstein that you can get in Oblivion.

WittyName said:
You can get the same "stealth/thief mode" gameplay from GTA or even Return to Castle Wolfenstein that you can get in Oblivion.

Bloodlines has a Teh Bestest stealth mode for an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom