Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

mondblut

Arcane
Finally, Might & Magic X and Heroes VII... Limbic's old-school enthusiasm is palpable, but fearing a Unity crash-fest, and having a considerable backlog, I still haven't actually tried the former

I finished MMX with addon, and I don't remember any crashes. While it is not World of Xeen, it is very much "good for what it is" in these dark times we live in. Nothing to fear there.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Hello Councillors!

We are pleased to announce you that Might & Magic Heroes VII preload is now available on Uplay & all supported PC platforms! Thanks to the preload, you will be able to anticipate your download of the game and be fully prepared to play the game on Tuesday!

The M&M Team

https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/pre-loading-now-available

Strangely, the Codex hasn't received a review copy yet. Probably a simple oversight on Ubisoft's side.

Archibald

Arcane
If that was positive then I shudder to think what would have been "neutral" report.

Black

Arcane
Man, my 7yo self would go "WOW, THERE'S 7 HEEROS OF MIGHT AND MAGIC".
Now I can only go "oh god, they're still making them".

Reject_666_6

Arcane
There is only one Hero of Might and Magic:

1148489-crag_hack.png

m_s0

Arcane
I don't trust a company to have its priorities set right if in their player facing communication every third second sentence contains the corporate bullshit lingo "franchise".
I don't see why that's even an issue.

So, do they mention anything new about the content in this particular product of the MMH franchise?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Strangely, the Codex hasn't received a review copy yet. Probably a simple oversight on Ubisoft's side.
Do you think they would even bother to give you a review copy free of charge? Pay you bastards like everyone else.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Wow Tuesday already? Prepare of major butthurt from die hard fans.

(I'm actually happy with any pirated game, but some fans couldn't be pleased.)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Do you think they would even bother to give you a review copy free of charge? Pay you bastards like everyone else.

You wouldn't believe how many people get review copies simply because they run a youtube channel with 50 subscribers. In a just world, the Codex would get free copies for every game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Youtube channel is something completely different. Actually this reminds me I probably solved my microphone problems...

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Release is today at 2 PM CEST. Who here is FIRED UP for some old school TBS action?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Reviews:

One of the biggest problems I found with the game is that, no matter where I looked, I couldn’t find any sort of tutorial, or even a guide system. While existing players of the series may scoff at my inability, newcomers could find some of the game’s nuances as debilitating as I did early on.

The movement mechanic, for example, is never explained to players, and so I found myself desperately stuck after just twenty-two hero moves in the first minutes of my first campaign stage. It took a frantic Google search and the use of a Heroes Of Might & Magic III wiki to help me discover that the game was broken down into days, with the end of each day representing the end of the player’s turn and thus the reset of such stats. A painfully simple solution, but one that was mysteriously hidden from me in the game.

I absolutely don’t think that Might & Magic Heroes VII is a bad game, but it’s definitely one that is its own worst enemy. The great pacing of each stage and slick blend of RPG and strategy elements were definitely signs for encouragement once I wrapped my head around what was going on. The visual struggles and the game’s apparently refusal to easily open the experience to new players are major disappointments, though, and it’s these failings that could ultimately see it fail to reach any audience outside the series’ already faithful players.

6/10

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/magic-heroes-vii-review/

The biggest problem with Might & Magic Heroes VII is that newcomers might have some trouble understanding everything that happens, even if they start with the relatively tame Haven campaign, and a dedicated tutorial would have been a good way to welcome them.

Might & Magic Heroes VII is probably the best entry in the series since the original trilogy, an experience that understands what makes the series great and delivers slightly updated takes on the core mechanics without any revolutionary features.

The tactical battles are the highlight of the package, challenging without being too difficult, with players pressed to carefully consider their moves and find the best way to employ each unit and each opportunity to launch a spell.

The strategic layer could have used a little more innovation and can become a little dry, but the campaign levels are well designed and always give the player clear objectives to chase.

The development team is also including an editor in the game package, which should make it relatively easy for gamers to create their own content, which can range from unique factions to units and maps, with an option to use the Shadow Council network to then share it with the rest of the community.

8/10

http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/games/pc/might-magic-heroes-vii-review-493006.shtml

German review, translation stolen from elsewhere:

+ story and its presentation via voice acting
+ interesting and diverse campaign missions
+ music
+ editor
+ general scale of the game (campaigns, scenarios, multiplayer, editor, 114 creatures, around 100 spells, more than 120 hero skills)

- in many ways more or less the same as the previous games
- combat and creature sound effects
- battlefields are not varied enough (Heroes Online, King's Bounty and Disciple are cited for better examples in this regard)
- no tutorial

88/100

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/might-magic-heroes-7/test/might_magic_heroes_7,51546,3236960.html

French review, not gonna translate that stuff, French is a world language:

Might & Magic Heroes VII prolonge dignement la série, il ne possède malheureusement pas d'innovations renversantes ni d'arguments capables de séduire ceux que le gameplay particulier des titres précédents rebutait déjà. Néanmoins les graphismes légèrement améliorés et les nombreuses fonctionnalités introduites dans ce 7e opus devraient satisfaire les fans malgré le manque réel de nouveautés. On regrettera entre autres que la campagne ne soit pas mieux présentée et plus ambitieuse, l'absence d'une des factions les plus populaires a aussi de quoi chagriner. Si vous êtes fan de multijoueurs et que vous avez envie de toujours plus de Might and Magic, vous devriez trouver ici votre compte. Si vous attendiez une vraie révolution ou quelque chose de conséquent vous resterez sur votre faim.

+Fidèle à la série
+La direction artistique
+Les forts, les ponts, les caravanes
+Les options pour accélérer le jeu

-Une histoire mal menée et mal présentée
-Pas de faction infernale
-Encore quelques bugs
-Interface parfois peu pratique

73/100

http://www.millenium.org/might-and-...-mh7-ubisoft-limbic-entertainement-mtj-134663

The French review seems to be the most reasonable so far, especially because of this:

Cela arrive un peu trop souvent, dans ce cas il est heureusement possible d'abandonner (et de perdre toutes ses troupes sans faire de dégâts) ou d’accélérer la vitesse des animations et des déplacements par un facteur de quatre ou cinq si le cœur vous en dit.

We brought that up in our Gamescom interview! The Codex knows what people want :M

Last edited:

Archibald

Arcane
The movement mechanic, for example, is never explained to players, and so I found myself desperately stuck after just twenty-two hero moves in the first minutes of my first campaign stage. It took a frantic Google search and the use of a Heroes Of Might & Magic III wiki to help me discover that the game was broken down into days, with the end of each day representing the end of the player’s turn and thus the reset of such stats. A painfully simple solution, but one that was mysteriously hidden from me in the game.

Is reviewer complete retard or is interface so shitty that people can't find end turn button?

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
The french review looks like it was written by someone literally afflicted with autism

+Faithful to the series
+Artistic direction
+Forts, Bridges, caravans
+Options to speed the game up

-Badly led story, Badly presented
-No infernal faction
-Still a few bugs
-UI occasionally clunky

73/100

That's his final conclusions :lol: . Artistic direction a strong point :lol:. Fort, Bridges (bridges are saving this game, I like bridges, WOULD YOU LIKE SOME CHOCOLATE), Caravans now major points in the game. Options to speed the game up. Does he even know how to present a conclusion?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I think you're supposed to read the review before reading the conclusion. That way you could interpret "les ponts" as "the options to defend or destroy bridges based on your strategic situation", and "les caravans" as "the replacement of courier heroes with automatic caravans that move troops to specific forts or cities, but which can still be attacked by the enemy." "Faithful to the series" covers a lot of the other stuff.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
But I did you popamole crusader, it's a shallow disjointed listing of features he noticed. If you have to make a synthesis of your review of a game you don't mention specific minor features that you appreciated. Where is the gameplay analysed as a whole? Nowhere, because he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Where is the gameplay analysed as a whole?

When is that ever done in a pre-launch review? That sort of analysis has always been the prerogative of the 6-months-later Codex review.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom