Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
The HOMM lore has touched on aspects that brought enlightenment to the many people. This achievement of creativity will remain an example of the best humanity has to offer and I truly understand those fought for not letting any Science-Fiction element stain this immaculate setting.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Grotesque

The didn't want to add Forge because of the lore, they wanted to add it because it was simply a great idea. Technology-based castle to compete against fantasy ones. Magic vs technology - a wacky battle in spirit of the series. Instead we've got Conflux - a totally pointless waste of time besides bringing phoenixes back into the game.
Outcry was widespread? Seriously? Compared to what? Modern SJW write articles in international press and rally thousands of people. I don't think Forge haters had any important journalists on their side. If CDP:Red was as easily swayed as 3DO Geralt would be replaced by a transsexual woman of colour.
Well at least now they can finally be happy because modern HoMM universe is all their wishes come true. Totally serious and exceptionally boring fantasy world where everyone was carefully castrated in order to not offend anyone.[/QUOTE]

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Magic vs technology
That is not Arcanum's magic vs tech we're talking about. :)
The sudden apparition of Orcs with rokets, cyberzombies and minotaurs with jetpaks was so alien and poorly stapled together as the apparition of Sabre Rider and the star sheriffs in the next season of Game of Thrones.

besides bringing phoenixes back into the game
...oh, and don't forget the sprites

In my opinion, with "The Forge" fiasco, the devs clearly understood that Heroes players form an entirely another animal than they thought and this animal had a brutal awakening when faced with their bare titties naga tank dual-dualwielding "uzis". (which I personally find cool)

tank.jpg

Those breasts sure look surgically enhanced. At least in this department they remained consistent.

Grotesque
But the entire point of M&M and HoMM is that it's campy as hell. Even since HoMM 1 with it's wacky purple dragons and piglike orcs. If you try to take the HoMM serious you end-up with HoMM V-VII. I mean sure, the Forge city might have been bad. But because of the bitching we ended up with a city that never had any chance of being good. I understand that some people might find it a bit too out of place, but how can anyone prefer getting that abortion of a castle I don't understand. At worst case people would just have to disable it for tournaments, which they have to do either way because this shit is broken.

Also, you don't have to show me concept arts, I saw them when they were released in the gaming magazines, too bad I didn't have Internet back in 99. Perhaps enough death threats would convince them to put it back in.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Forge was fucking retarded, I'm glad it never materialized. Conflux units may be shitty, but at least it has a nice grail building. :smug:

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love the Forge idea, but... yeah, it may not have worked very well. Perhaps they should have toned it down a bit, give it a more steampunk vibe and less Strogg-like from Quake. It is not such a stretch of the imagination to jump from a medieval setting to some 19th-century dystopia, but minotaurs with jetpacks? That's a bit too much even for my wacky sense of humor. Now, steam-powered minotaurocopters on the other hand... that's something. Perhaps a mage unit could have been more futuristic, with laser or something.

Forge was fucking retarded, I'm glad it never materialized. Conflux units may be shitty, but at least it has a nice grail building. :smug:

Conflux grail building was some sort of a shit cherry on top of a shitcake.

I love the Forge idea, but... yeah, it may not have worked very well. Perhaps they should have toned it down a bit, give it a more steampunk vibe and less Strogg-like from Quake. It is not such a stretch of the imagination to jump from a medieval setting to some 19th-century dystopia, but minotaurs with jetpacks? That's a bit too much even for my wacky sense of humor. Now, steam-powered minotaurocopters on the other hand... that's something. Perhaps a mage unit could have been more futuristic, with laser or something.

On the other hand I'd take Conflux over that shit. Steampunk forge would actually be worthy a couple of death threats.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The worst thing about conflux is that it is really op and clearly something they didn't think through very well.

bloodlover

Arcane
The worst thing about conflux is that it is really op and clearly something they didn't think through very well.

Actually it was mentioned in the previous interview that it was supposed to in a future expansion so it would have gotten into the game anyway at some point. I don't hate Conflux very much and we probably would have gotten it anyway sooner or later but it's just a shame it had to be instead of a possible great faction when we could have had both.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Forge didn't really suited here.

I mean, how the fuck were you going to balance that if somebody cared about a lore? Sci-fi in M&M was lategame, so should this faction be horribly powerful but slow growing and expensive or something?

Adding few monsters, high level ones would make a sense, but I can't imagine whole faction.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
If you take the HOMM franchise seriously you end up with HOMM 3. If you take it like the Warhammer ripoff you end up with HOMM 6 which was only 1 step back from adding in Laser Guns.

spectre

Arcane
Yeah, I had the very same realization when I ditched WinXP for 7 two years ago. I kept hearing, man how can you still be using this. It's fucking old.
Eh? You know what's old? Atari XL/XE. Norton Fucking Commander. That's old for me, and I am still hale and hearty.

And then it hit me, of course it's old of you, being twenty-something, you gits were fresh out of diapers when it came out.

If you take the HOMM franchise seriously you end up with HOMM 3. If you take it like the Warhammer ripoff you end up with HOMM 6 which was only 1 step back from adding in Laser Guns.
This one doesn't really click with me. How do you ever "take seriously" something that is pretty standard everything-and-a-kitchen-sink fantasy. It even has lightning-shitting birds, teleporting devils, chicken legged harpies, skeletony necromancers and hippie sorceresses with flowers in their hair.
Of course, there's degrees to banality, but let's not pretend that the homm setting is suddenly highbrow.

m_s0

Arcane
And too bad JVC starts the interview talking about making games for cellphones and tablets, at which point I lost interest.
There is still good in him. Or so I'd like to think :negative:

The interview is pretty flat anyway. It doesn't help that the interviewer barely speaks English.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Forge was a retarded idea and good thing it was cut out- nobody cares if it's a staple of M&M. High tech always feels out of place in an otherwise almost entirely medieval fantasy world. Consistent tone is writing 101.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
It would fit to the world, but it wouldn't fit to the gameplay.

Talking about consistency in a game where you have things like Tower(Gremlins from English folklore, Gargoyles from hmm... Notre Dame Cathedral, because gargoyles had many shapes, Golems from Jewish folklore, Mages from everywhere, Djinns from Arabic world, Nagas from Hindu and Titans from Greek mythology) is little bit dumb.

Removing it caused more harm than good as well. Without that decision, conflux might have been less shitty.

Yeah, good thing that HoMM VII is going to be the most consistent HoMM title to date. No more silly bullshit like Dwarves and Elves living in the same city

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
The consistency is that it's about folklore instead of space gadgets and pseudo scientific monstrosities.

You know what?

You're right.

We have:
Nature-loving hippies(with horse being kind of central theme) - Bastion.
Lizardy-lizards(with two exceptions) living in swamps - Fortress.
Barbarian greenskins who's high tiers are gigantic mythical monsters.
Demonic aliens, who's entire upgrade path is a "road to hell" of sorts.
Medieval humans
Necromancers.
Folklore-based mages.
Dungeon-delving monsters.

While forge would have a central theme(conflux... well, kinda with "elemental elements" but phoenixes ruin that theme), it's kinda too alien to those all. All of tem have sort of anchor in mythology and folklore, this doesn't. If it was some fraction of kreegans/necros whos late tiers would have those mechanical parts - I guess it would work(coupled with Egyptian theme, you know)
ancient-aliens-guy.jpg
but in the way they've tried to make it(you have 4 tiers all of which are vanilla robo-humans) would be just too much. The most homogenic faction - Castle would be diverse and interesting when compared to them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom