Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hate Bioware games, but Im on a Star Wars fever... Will I like KOTOR ?

Lorica

Educated
The problem is that they're all over the fucking place.

Well, one of the problems.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The worst creation of George Lucas before Jar Jar Binks on the worst movie of the original trilogy? I don't think when people talk about Star Wars, the first thing that come to their mind is how the Ewoks defined the original trilogy tone as lighthearted action/comedy movie for kids(The new trilogy is exactly that).
Cue Anakin's face getting melted off in lava.

The prequels are shit, but they aren't really lighthearted.
Maybe grimdark/lighthearted aren't the right words. Star Wars was never high brow stuff but on the original trilogy, the movies had a certain art direction and were pretty much consistent, they had their comic relief moments but you could take them seriously as entertaining sci-fi movies. The new trilogy was so full of nonsense, that when Anakin got his face melted on lava, I was happy that the movie was ending instead of feeling anything about it. The Phantom Manace and Clone Wars in particular felt more like platforms to sell merchandizing for kids than entertaining movies.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I only brought it up because people often use that as an excuse, "oh it's just a movie for kids, it doesn't matter that x, y, and z are retarded". When in fact, Lucas was clearly aiming for an adult audience just as much as kids, and just fucked it up completely.

Caim

Arcane
I only brought it up because people often use that as an excuse, "oh it's just a movie for kids, it doesn't matter that x, y, and z are retarded". When in fact, Lucas was clearly aiming for an adult audience just as much as kids, and just fucked it up completely.
I think Walt Disney once said something along the lines of that a good children's cartoon can also be enjoyed by adults.

Which, if Walt's legacy holds true, can promise some good things for the upcoming Star Wars movie.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I still enjoy watching a lot of old Disney animated films as an adult, like Beauty and the Beast or Lion King, but that could be nostalgia.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
BROS, gimme a hand. Im in this Star Wars vibe, re-watching the original saga, playing Tie Fighter like crazy, and even considerin the new FFG tabletop rpg. (Im sick, I know)

Then my brother says "You must play KOTOR! Its Awesome! How can you never played it before ??"

What do you think ?

Thanks BROS.

I played it awhile back for the same reason.

If you allow yourself to get involved with the setting, plot, and characters to the extent you can overlook their flaws, then you can have an enjoyable role-playing experience.

If you go in as a critic where everything must be "just so", then there isn't a chance. The game can fluctuate between immersive and boring pretty quickly and there are a lot of hammy lines to swallow, especially from the PC. Although, that is pretty consistent with the spirit of Star Wars.

Reading the Tales of the Jedi or Knights of the Old Republic comics first can help lube you up for the setting, although the writing in the former can get hokey.

Kotor II on the other hand (with the Restored Content Mod) lives to the high praise Obsidian fans heap on it.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I wouldn't spend more in time Bioware's Star Wars universe than KoTOR II and KoTOR.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

You mean kids don't enjoy long drawn out senate scenes and poorly conceived political subterfuge?

DemonKing

Arcane
In retrospect it is easy to dismiss KOTOR as just another typically structured Bioware story with the patented Twist, but people forget this was really the first Bioware game to follow that structure so it did seem quite so cliched at the time.

I would recommend it - the story is not terrible and in particular there are some nice evil options included. Korriban was probably my favourite area in the game but most of the others have some merit. There are some really memorable characters (particularly HK-47). The game does capture the Star Wars vibe quite nicely and the soundtrack and music sound authentic.

My criticisms would be that the combat is fairly mediocre, there are annoying and pointless mini-games thrown in and the villain is a cardboard-cut-out cackling bad guy. Also Qarth. Other than that it's worth a play and as it's relatively short it shouldn't take too long to burn through. I enjoyed it more than the sequel.

Turjan

Arcane

You mean kids don't enjoy long drawn out senate scenes and poorly conceived political subterfuge?

The best thing about the "new" SW trilogy is the Plinkett Reviews. Don't switch them off after 5 minutes, they get better. I was laughing tears after some time.

I can still thank George Lucas for making his films, because otherwise these reviews wouldn't exist.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I probably spoiled myself because I played KOTOR2 before I played KOTOR, but I couldn't finish it. The writing is downright juvenile compared to KOTOR2 and below even Bioware's low standard in the tutorial level. There were some interesting points, like solving the crime on the Jedi planet, but overall the game is too much an archetypical 3 act Bioware RPG and hits all the same plot points all their games do.

Would not recommend if you don't like Bioware games.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I probably spoiled myself because I played KOTOR2 before I played KOTOR, but I couldn't finish it. The writing is downright juvenile compared to KOTOR2 and below even Bioware's low standard in the tutorial level. There were some interesting points, like solving the crime on the Jedi planet, but overall the game is too much an archetypical 3 act Bioware RPG and hits all the same plot points all their games do.

Enjoyed the Jade Empire more than original Kotor despite being made in the same formula to be honest; Kotor II being Obsidian game has its :obviously: Obsidian writing but it it more or less complete game only since fan made restoration project was completed... and BTW Kotor II Music >>> Kotor I Music best soundtrack ever.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Enjoyed the Jade Empire more than original Kotor despite being made in the same formula to be honest; Kotor II being Obsidian game has its :obviously: Obsidian writing but it it more or less complete game only since fan made restoration project was completed... and BTW Kotor II Music >>> Kotor I Music best soundtrack ever.
At the very least JE has an interesting setting. Asian fantasy isn't explored much in games AFAIK. I also liked that you could turn a companion evil, which is something that I wish Bioware would do more of in their games. The combat in JE is completely broken and awful, though.

The combat in JE is completely broken and awful, though.

Broken and awful? It's simplistic and overall pretty easy, but it's not awful. And I recall there being a lot less trash mobs than your usual Bioware game, so I can forgive the poor combat more than I can in a game like NWN/ME/DA.

Severian Silk

I thought KOTOR and KOTOR II were equally boring. Not sure where all the love for the sequel is coming from...

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I think it's Kreia. She reminds codexers of their moms, who will mock your life decisions no matter what.
And she's sexy.

kreia_by_clc1997-d4ka87o.png

Xor

Arcane
I thought KOTOR and KOTOR II were equally boring. Not sure where all the love for the sequel is coming from...
KOTOR2 is pretty much only good because of the writing. Part of that might be because I was a huge Star Wars fan back in high school, and when the game came out I was cooling toward the setting. KOTOR2 is a deconstruction of several aspects of Star Wars, and it asks questions that most Star Wars related material doesn't ask. It rejects the black and white nature of the setting and analyzes the Force in depth. Plus it's the personal story of one exiled Jedi, everything that happens in the story revolves around your character. And it handles exposition in a really interesting way - rather than asking about stuff your character should already know, you get dialog responses that contain exposition in them and also help shape the personality of the Exile. The writing really is top notch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom