Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hate Bioware games, but Im on a Star Wars fever... Will I like KOTOR ?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Star Wars flight sims were my babysitter for several years when my cousin and I were younger.

RE: DF, I remember watching that little white shuttle thing in the Nar Shaddaa level for quite a long time wondering how to get on it.

EDIT:
DaleyFlay said:
I hope this Abrams fellow realizes the dark junk future style of Empire Strikes Back is why people love this franchise.

This is the guy that hit us over the head with ad placements in Star Trek 2009 and reduced the series to tribal face tattoo villain and deus ex machina Red Matter.

But hey, at least he can't do worse than Episodes 2 and 3.

Amn Nom

Learned
I'd skip the first one, its typical Bioware and not that interesting outside of a few areas.

The second one on the other hand, like pretty much everything Obsidian does, is a flawed gem. Apply the community restoration patch and you should have a pretty good time in it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
DF is a solid doom clone.

I disagree, it's much more than just a Doom clone. Heretic is basically a 1:1 Doom clone. Meanwhile, Dark Forces already had stuff like varied objectives, jumping, puzzles, scripted events and more environmental interaction like slippery ice etc. It was also more story-focused, with voice acting (in and out of missions) and cutscenes.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
One thing Knights of the Old Republic did well was strategic depth; there were a lot of different ways you could configure your different three man parties. So this is something I enjoyed - planning out some characters and then seeing them into reality. Sadly, this strategic depth was never meaningfuly exploited through encounters or quests. Some conversation options were amusing too.

Another Star Wars game that you can try is Rogue Squadron II. It is not a sim like the brilliant, uncomparable game that is TIE Fighter, so don't expect that. Nevertheless I found it enjoyable when I was 14.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
DF is a solid doom clone.
Dark Forces ran on its own ray casting engine, which like the Build engine and unlike the Doom engine, could do rooms ontop of rooms, bridges etc. This means that Dark Forces could have levels that would be impossible to implement in Doom. The trade off is that in these kinds of levels the convinent 2D overlay map loses some of its convenience (it can be more confusing).

Dark Forces also used IMUSE, like TIE Fighter (which I really liked).

I enjoyed the first 9? levels of Dark Forces and did not play any more. Not because I thought it was a bad first person shooter, but because I don't have much interest in the genre in general.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Does this mean you liked Episode 1 more?

Just curious, not going to bash you. I feel like each of the three has a decent movie somewhere in it, but all three were ruined by stupid bullshit (and none of them got the aesthetics right except maybe 3 towards the end).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really disliked this game initially, but it started to grow on me from the moment my character became a Jedi, and I really enjoyed the latter 2/3s of the game. Overall, I rank it below the original trilogy, but above anything else SW-wise I have experienced* (with the possible exception of KoTOR 2). If you really are a Star Wars fan, @Silva, you should definitely play it.

*There is not that much of it, though, I am more of a Trekkie.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The Sith Lord says:

KotOR is good for what it is as a Star Wars game. Play it. You'll only have to stomach that dimwit Carth a tiny bit at the start, and during a sequence near the mid-game. Same-ish with that bitch Bastila. Dark Side protip: go to Korriban last. You can make the head Sith there serve you. No in-game effect, but nice fluff anyway. General protip: visit every planet's surface with every party composition - sidequests are triggered or not depending on presence of certain party members.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I tried playing both parts and quit after sth like 6-8 hours afair. I don't remember much, but first Kotor is definitely the best Bioware game bar BGs, which of course doesn't say much. The fact that I can't really recall stuff about them and at the same have no urge to come back shapes my verdict: pretty banal, not very shit, pretty boring.

TripJack

Hedonist
tedious gameplay mixed with a dull, predictable plot and a mix of uninteresting and annoying characters

the one good thing in the game is the bender clone who wants to kill all humans, by the time you finish this piece of shit you will be quite sympathetic to his cause :dance:

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Skip KOTOR 1, play KOTOR 2 instead.

And make sure to play the adventures of Kyle Katarn: Dark Forces was pretty good, Jedi Knight was a lot of fun, Jedi Outcast pretty much aces the lightsaber battles like no game since has (and it has Billy Dee Williams in it), Jedi Academy expands on it (though the single lightsaber is still the best.

And a friendly reminder that Jedi Knight has choices and consequences too, with a light side and dark side ending. Light side of course means the bad guys are dead and everything's a-okay, while in the dark side...

EmperorKatarn.jpg

Hail Emperor Katarn I!

Ninjerk

Arcane

Does this mean you liked Episode 1 more?

Just curious, not going to bash you. I feel like each of the three has a decent movie somewhere in it, but all three were ruined by stupid bullshit (and none of them got the aesthetics right except maybe 3 towards the end).

I like that a lot of the sets look like they had physical props than total CGI, I like Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor, and I think that little kid in Episode 1 was less capable of dragging down the performances of the veteran actors than Hayden Christiansen.

It's hard for me to say I like Episode 1 more than 2 or 3 because really, which turd is better than the others.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I like that a lot of the sets look like they had physical props than total CGI, I like Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor, and I think that little kid in Episode 1 was less capable of dragging down the performances of the veteran actors than Hayden Christiansen.

It's hard for me to say I like Episode 1 more than 2 or 3 because really, which turd is better than the others.

I think if Jar Jar could be erased from history somehow Episode 1 would be the better turd of the turd trio.

Meh, these movies have far worse problems than Jar-Jar and even Paul Newman wouldn't play the shitty script like something memorable.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think Empire is a legit good movie. The other two do a great job of creating worlds and characters, though whether they are good movies or not is pretty debatable.

Ninjerk

Arcane
The duel in the carbon freezing chamber is one of my favorite scenes in any movie, barely edging out the Korean nightclub in Collateral and the bank heist in Heat.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Jedi Knight and outcast are obligatory to any FPS and Star War fans, they had that grimdark feeling that the old movies had...

Dude, there's nothing "grimdark" about Ewoks.
The worst creation of George Lucas before Jar Jar Binks on the worst movie of the original trilogy? I don't think when people talk about Star Wars, the first thing that come to their mind is how the Ewoks defined the original trilogy tone as lighthearted action/comedy movie for kids(The new trilogy is exactly that).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The worst creation of George Lucas before Jar Jar Binks on the worst movie of the original trilogy? I don't think when people talk about Star Wars, the first thing that come to their mind is how the Ewoks defined the original trilogy tone as lighthearted action/comedy movie for kids(The new trilogy is exactly that).
Cue Anakin's face getting melted off in lava.

The prequels are shit, but they aren't really lighthearted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom