Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has this company ever made a single good game?

DraQ

Arcane
Couple of days pretty much as you can guess by my post count. This forum is like an RPG world in itself, you guys have a whole lore on why and how to hate things. It's hard to catch up in a few days.
It's not that hard. I mean most of the time the main reason for us to hate something is it existing.

It's Bioware's version of putting something in your drink, it seems.
Alas it doesn't make you forget.
:negative:
- "Sheppard, if we fuck I might melt your brain"
- "Nah, it's totally 'kay. Let's fuck!"

GAME OVER
:incline:
I felt a great disturbance in the farce, as if millions of horny landwhales suddenly cried out in butthurt and were suddenly silenced.

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Eh might as well do mine.
(only including the ones I actually played and finished)

MDK2: decline over the first, but not that bad in its own right. Ok-ish I guess.

BG1: sue me but I liked it. Yes it's mostly empty maps that they filled up with trash mobs. Yes, RTWP. But aside from the RTWP it was a decent computerization of AD&D2, the parts of the plot that didn't deal with the Bhaalspawn were subtle and quite interesting (too bad this part is not the one people remember), despite the trash mobs it had quite a few fun set piece battles (usually the opposing parties) and the expansion added Durlag's Tower, and it was a great dungeon crawl.

BG2: probably their most solid game. Carries over some problems (RTWP), adds new ones (the writing is... well, variable. Let's leave it at that and not go into the romances), but all in all I think it's good to very good, and I'm more tempted to push it towards the very due to the encounter design. I don't think I realized how good we had it with BG2 until I played everything that came after.

NWN1: I hated the game. It's the RTWP and empty maps and trash mobs of BG1, except we now have pre-3.5 3E, with all its idiocies, running on one of the clunkiest engines ever made ("DtU's was much worse" is about the only good thing I can say about Aurora), with a completely idiotic plot, rubbish encounter design, ugly graphics, just ugly everything. I don't care how good some of the modules are (and some are quite good), their running on such a clunky engine was enough to ruin most of them for me.

KOTOR: good god, this is it, the one that cemented the Bioware formula. There's the romances from BG2, the endless trash mobs from BG1, the same clunky engine as NWN1, except now we also have the TWEEST! which happens to be one of the worst-written, most predictable, most patronizing twists I have ever seen outside of M. Night Shyamalan (or however he spells it) movies. And one of the shittiest minigames ever (seriously, WHY did they even bother). Of course it's Star Wars AND it's Bioware so everyone loves it.

JE: a better KOTOR, mostly. Same engine, same story structure, same companion system, except it's shorter, the combat isn't any better but goes faster and so doesn't make you feel that running from province to province in Daggerfall would be a better use of your time, and while the setting is pure schlock at least it's not something we've seen hundreds of time before.

ME1: a better JE. It's actually the closest Bioware game to "average" that I can think of. Nothing in it is brilliant in any way, but nothing is really so incredibly bad that I'd rather play Oblivion (eat your heart out, Mako haters). The setting has plenty of idiocy (see DraQ posts above) but I can ignore it more easily.

ME2: let's take ME1, and instead of fixing its RPG aspects we'll rip them out entirely and replace them with a horrible, HORRIBLE corridor shooter. And then everyone will love it, even on the 'dex. Needless to say, I don't. Also, Human Reaper. And Collectors. And just about every single piece of writing related to the MQ.

ME3: huge improvement over ME2's shooting mechanics, mainly because you have more than one or two abilities to cycle through while patiently waiting for moles to pop. Plays like something in between ME1 and ME2. Story is one of the stupidest ever written for a computer game, and reaches magnificent (though entirely predictable, considering what came all the way back in ME2) heights at the finale.

DAO: better than NWN1, but still a shit game. Fake C&C by the truckloads, enough to fool even the hardest to please C&C fans. Absolutely horrendous combat system lifted straight out of WOW, and that could only be made worse by absolutely horrid encounter design that's perhaps even worse than NWN1's. Some cool set pieces. Completely and utterly retarded story set in Grimdark Fantasy Generica 101. The actual C&C that is there is good, the few (very, very few) not-trash-mobs fights would've been pretty cool if the spell system wasn't so broken, but none of this saves the game. This and NWN1 are the only 2 Bioware games I actually regret finishing.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I felt a great disturbance in the farce, as if millions of horny landwhales suddenly cried out in butthurt and were suddenly silenced.

It would be good if it was an actual surprise. The game warns you 41161651654 times you're going to die and the chick even says so right before you confirm your decision.

Modern games. God forbid if the player was forced to pay attention to anything other than his choice RIGHT BEFORE IT HAPPENS.

Oh, and I never bothered with ME3. Don't know why anyone would after seeing the ending of ME2.

DraQ

Arcane
("DtU's was much worse" is about the only good thing I can say about Aurora)
The Witcher was built on it.
:smug:
Now you have two.
The setting has plenty of idiocy (see DraQ posts above) but I can ignore it more easily.
I could ignore it too if not for Asari.
:abyssgazer:

It would be good if it was an actual surprise. The game warns you 41161651654 times you're going to die and the chick even says so right before you confirm your decision.

Modern games. God forbid if the player was forced to pay attention to anything other than his choice RIGHT BEFORE IT HAPPENS.
Some people can't see it coming even if they literally see it coming so it would still work.

Oh, and I never bothered with ME3. Don't know why anyone would after seeing the ending of ME2.
I don't know why would anyone do anything but take up hardcore professional, competitive drinking after that. And don't stop until dead.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I disagree with combat in JE not being any better than KoTOR. In JE you have to dodge, know when to strike, use abilities, swich styles sometimes, manage your focus and mana etc. Sure it's shallow but you do something. In KoTOR you just click your favorite super-strike if you are a fighter and your paralisis power then your lightning power if you are a mage. You also heal and buff from time to time.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
biowarerpg.jpg

(from the Codex archives, I forget who did this)

pippin

When that green Asari lady appeared, it looked like something straight out of a hentai.
Also, was it ever explained why that particular asari was green and not blue?

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ofc they haven't.

And jaesun is a massive faggot for bashing bethesda all day while praising ass defect 2 which is arguably worse than even oblivion/fallout3.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
ME2 was shit. Couldn't even finish. The popamole combat is as bad as Spec Ops: The Line and its 'RPG elements' were more watered down than ME1. My hunch is Jaesun only likes the ME games for their story vignettes (since he's got a hard on for adventure games) which is fine... I suppose. But they should go ahead and dispense with the awful combat bits and shallow exploration.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Everyone who dislikes ME2's popamoling did not play as Vanguard
I played as uh... I dunno I had some biotics. It's still popamole. There's very little strategy involved other than 'throw dude,' 'freeze dude,' 'charge dude.'

DraQ

Arcane

Thane Solus

Arcane
-i loved Kotor for what it was back in the day, unfortunately was plagued by small maps, but still a good game for me, and it still holds up today, even on graphics. Kotor II was cool too - no edginess sorry
-both Baldurs Gate were good, i played less BG 2 tho i didnt finished. I liked BG1 more, even with its flaws(probably nostalgia)
-NW was ok, played half of it.
-loved MassEffect 1 as concept, but it never got better, they improved somewhat the shooting in ME 2, but destroyed what was left in a rpg, recovered some in ME3, it was a nice adventure, but plagued by Bioware devs, with retarded story, SJW, removing Macko, and thos fucking endings. I mean in ME 3 i was thinking, ok cool so i am gather support from all these people, and at the end its gona be a dynamic minigame with a cool battle/scenes. No it was shlocky cutscenes, and fucking retarded AI/baby. FU!
-DAO was the same, lots of potential, plagued by small maps and empty content, but i finished it eventually, much better combat and lighting/rendering on characters that POS, DAI.
-DAI - interesting things to do at first glance, but the graphics(rendering/lighting), combat, and story ... were shit, i played it 6 hours, so thats something, dont think i am gona touch it again ever ... but it made me go back to POE(Pillars of Infinitron) quite fast.

Bioware games are plagued by retarded stories and characters most of the time, and consolization (small maps, horrible rendering, low content) and lately(last 10 years or so) horrible combat and the absence of proper RPG elements, from UI to progression and character customization/builds. They restarted with ME 1 and DAO, but in the end they failed horrible, because they went mainstream for consoletards with atention spam of a monkey just to cash some extra money, but in the end i think they are at the same income or worse. Probably only 5-10% of the good devs still work for this studio, so let it die ffs.

Fairfax

Arcane
My list would be similar to Sceptic's, except I liked JE and I think ME1 is, by definition, above average. Considering the rest of the sci-fi 3rd person shooters out there, it's definitely above the average in the genre, and the I thought the art and the soundtrack were fantastic.

DAO was disappointing (yes, I believe the whole spiritual successor to BG thing back then), but it's the kind of game I'd like to play if there's no other RPG available, and I like to play at least two at a time.

ME3 was one of the most irritating games I've ever played in my life. I regret buying it, I regret playing it, I regret finishing, and to just think about it still makes me angry. Not that I expected a good game, but it was 95% of everything I hate about modern gaming (only F2P and intrusive DRM were missing). To think most people believe the ending was the game's only problem still blows my mind.

Deleted member 7219

• BG - banal, shit, boring
  • BG 2 - seemed to me like it was just like the first, but with a better story. Didn't get that far into it. Think I stopped playing before I got to the Underdark
  • Shattered Steel / MDK2 - don't care
  • NWN - great systems, great MP, OC and SoU had some good moments, HotU was very good
  • KOTOR - great game all round. KOTOR 2 was better, but KOTOR was still a good game
  • Jade Empire - great game all round
  • Sonic Chronicles - don't care
  • Mass Effect - great game all round, with some boring parts
  • Dragon Age - great game all round, with some boring parts
  • Mass Effect 2 - great game all round, with a slightly weak main story
  • Dragon Age 2 - good game, shit ending
  • Mass Effect 3 - good game, shit ending
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic - MMO. So, not great
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition - many things wrong with it, mainly to do with area design and the really fucking awful sidequests. But it's ok overall
Yes, they've made some good games. NWN, KOTOR, JE, ME 1, DA 1, ME 2, ME 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frozen

Arcane
Seriously all of their games are objectively trash.

Yes, but back in the day it was trash with some fought and effort put into it and it was trash targeted to a certain specific demographic.
Now its a cash grab for consoletards, mmo lovers, and apeshit stupid people in general with as little effort as possible done by people with no taste.
I really couldn't play DAI even if someone pay me. Its that fucking boring slob.DA2 is a masterpiece in compare. And I hated that game.
I mean kids never had good taste, but in a certain way BioWare is a testament of how each new generation is more and more degenerative.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
About Mass Effect:

I love action sci-fi as a setting, so I've tried to play ME a couple of times but could never get over the shitty combat, inventory, navigating citadel quests etc, and play it for more than a couple of hours.

Recently I was really itching for a sci-fi game again and thought "I'm just gonna try that shit one last time and focus on the story bits".

Yes, it's console retardation in it's mechanics and that is it's greatest flaw, but the setting is well done and it's a fun game if you manage to discard the gameplay and go at it like a storyfag. There's some parts where I feel like I'm watching a nice sci fi tv show episode. I have to make an effort to imagine some of the action sequences and delete the set piece cover obstacles that make some parts feel ike a paintball arena, but it's a good experience overall.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Maybe there are some good story bits, but the crucial parts of the narrative (council, spectre, the whole Asari stuff, Shepard death and rebirth/reconstruction, Elusive Man, Human Reaper, Kid in the end, 3 colored ending) are a disgrace. The setting had some promise, but most of the characters I seen (to be fair not even half) are horrible and dialogue always tacky unless it's seting exposition.

my rating for the series: :2/5::0/5::0/5:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom