Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has this company ever made a single good game?

hivemind

Seriously all of their games are objectively trash.

racofer

Thread Incliner
iEqqk.png

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
I liek NWN1!

The campaigns were meh, but playable and the online mods... Ah, the online mods...

:desu:

DraQ

Arcane
I've heard some good things about BG2.

NWN is the one I particularly detest due to not merely being a crap game but also tangling Morrowind into that stupid release date race.
Other BW games have at least kept their shittiness to themselves (or had it aped by others out of their sheer cluelessness as opposed to the grim realities of the market).

Last edited:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Jade Empire I thought was "decent". ME1 and ME2 were better than good - quite close to excellent since they held my attention long enough to completion. I would even say I enjoyed them as during the play through I got quite involved in the backstory and universe they had created.

The others that I have played were naff.

DraQ

Arcane
ME universe is automatically disqualified from being good (even for what it is) by the existence of Asari.
ME2 is further disqualified by jelly mould human reaper.
ME3 is then disqualified by being ME3.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ME universe is automatically disqualified from being good (even for what it is) by the existence of Asari.

The Asari are awesome.

ME2 is further disqualified by jelly mould human reaper.

Yeah, that was fucking retarded, no arguments there. Still even with such stupid shit, the rest of the game was great.

Gozma

Arcane
ME2's design that was completely centered around the companion shit and focused on having you plow through a shallow but pretty slick game for like 15 hours that hustles you through before you have the chance to get sick of it was just right for Bioware. They also hid most of the standard Bioware 20-hours-of-bloat content (shit where an intern threw together a pointless dungeon filled with MMO spawns) and had it give almost no XP or other powah-uppah so you have to be really asking for it to find it.

It also showed off some nice short term slash and burn EA style because everyone working on it obviously did not give a fuck about how hard it was gonna be to work with all the C&C the next sequel would need and the top people left the problems to someone else.

DraQ

Arcane

The Asari are awesome.
Ban dumbfuck!! Jaesun.

non-tl;dr version:
Umm... No. Asari are not just awful sci-fi (even by space opera standard - good space opera should be something like Known Space) but awful sci-fi for the sake of thinly disguised fap-bait alone.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Umm... No. Asari are not just awful sci-fi (even by space opera standard - good space opera should be something like Known Space) but awful sci-fi for the sake of thinly disguised fap-bait alone.

This is awful sci-fi?

The overall idea of the Asari and their role in the game is actually a pretty neat sci fi concept.

Prothean society, though formidable, was homogenized, so defeating them was simple arithmetic to an obviously technologically superior opponent like the Reapers. Knowing that the civilizations of future cycles would never be able to achieve technological parity with the Reapers before the next reaping commenced, the Protheans decided to use extensive genetic rewrite and cultural indoctrination on the Asari to make their race sexually compatible with any species, using sex, romantic attachment, and children as an adhesive to tie disparate groups of biological organisms together -- like rival human tribes embracing intermarriage as an alternative to war (the Aeneid anybody?). An all female librul race as dominant galactic species (and Asari are the dominant galactic species in Mass Effect) would preserve the diverse approaches to technology and combat doctrine necessary to split and confuse the Reapers' military efforts.

Thus Turian and Krogan tactics working in tandem during the Reaper War resulted in the Miracle at Palaven, the most serious beating the Reapers ever took in their entire history before the Battle of Earth.

I loved Mass Effect 1, and while 2 had some great companions the gameplay and meager RPG elements plummeted.

While Mass Effect was a goofy space opera it had some pretty solid world building with interesting races that had a relatively believable dynamic. The most fun I had in the game was listening to the banter between Wrex and Garrus on those elevator rides. Mass Effect 1 was Citadel was also a great sci-fi game city, best locale in the series by far.

I liked HK-47 a lot when I first played KOTOR, but I think Mordin Solus is probably the best Bioware companion, that might be a credit to the voice acting though.

DraQ

Arcane

This is awful sci-fi?

The overall idea of the Asari and their role in the game is actually a pretty neat sci fi concept.

(...) sexually compatible with any species, using sex, romantic attachment, and children as an adhesive to tie disparate groups of biological organisms together -- like rival human tribes embracing intermarriage as an alternative to war (the Aeneid anybody?). An all female librul race as dominant galactic species (and Asari are the dominant galactic species in Mass Effect) would preserve the diverse approaches to technology and combat doctrine necessary to split and confuse the Reapers' military efforts. (...)
Yes, this disgustingly awful sci-fi.

For starters they are not just sexually incompatible, they are supposedly universally attractive. That's like trying to come up with an unified set of characteristics that would sexually appeal to both you and your dog.
With three important caveats:
  • An alien capable of spaceflight will probably have much longer and more demanding list of things they consider "hot" than even the smartest and most adorable shaggy leg-humper.
  • You and your dog are at least both mammals, which puts both of you really fucking close when it comes to what you consider fuckable, compared to most of the aliens conceivable and most of the ME aliens as well.
  • You and your dog at least share a common ancestor so somewhere down the line both your lineages shared common lady ideal (even though it was probably something along the lines of "small, furry, squeaks and pees the right sort of pheromone", so chances are both you and your dog would find this ideal a bit old fashioned).
The reasoning that attempts to cover this up is just as much of a barefaced bullshit as the thing it tries to conceal - yeah, right, headtacles frill (Turian) VS blue (Salarian) VS pretty much every single characteristics other than frill and blue color (human). Seems legit.
If you ever want to buy a car call me.

Second, universal sexual compatibility, even just physical, IKEA style, is also a bullshit. There are so many types and sizes of junk on Earth alone (not just vertebrates, think insects, or octopi, or fucking spiders) that it's just sheer physical impossibility.

Both problems would be largely mitigated if ME-verse consciously tried to emulate campy rubber-forehead sci-fi flicks or if the Asari were some sort of shapeshifters, but neither is the case.

There is also the problem with Asari reproduction in that it doesn't make any fucking sense in any way.

tl;dr:
Really, I expected you, at least, to be able to see right through a thin and clumsy disguise ineptly draped over an insertion of space lesbians for space lesbians' sake.

pippin

Completing Baldur's Gate 2 (Shadows of Amn only) was a nice moment for me. Even though the most commented fights (dragons and Irenicus) were easier than what I expected. I can't say the same about nwn1 though, even when I only remember some brief instances of fun.
I didn't specially hated anything from Dragon Age Origins, but I didn't specially liked anything about it as well. It was a "meh" experience. The ending was BAD. Awakening was way more fun, like DA:O sans bullshit.
I kept going through the ME Trilogy to experience that fabled c&c everyone kept talking about. Most of it came in the form of cameos and text file updates. The only noteworthy c&c event was choosing between Kaidan or Ashley.
I've KotOR installed but haven't started yet, but I know it's a "Bioware" game.

So yeah, I'd say Baldur's Gate 2 was the best thing Bioware ever did.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
tl;dr:
Really, I expected you, at least, to be able to see right through a thin and clumsy disguise ineptly draped over an insertion of space lesbians for space lesbians' sake.

A lot of that stuff is just nitpicking. You could make the same sort of criticisms about Fallout, or really any work of speculative fiction. Including hard science fiction likes the works of Michael Crichton.

Their universal attractiveness is spurred by the fact they exude a pheromone (which is the real source of all attraction, not physical qualities) that affects any biological organism. Probably a contribution of the Protheans.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Baldurs Gate 2, by far.

DraQ

Also you assume that every lifeform in the universe mates based on physical attraction. Even your example, a dog, would counter your argument since they hump everything, everywhere.

Asari being shapeshifters was something i expected to find out in the course of the game though to be honest. It would fit their concept much more and it would also inherit a nice twist to movies like "the thing" to see such a lifeform behaving as actual social beings.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Dragon Age 2 may be crap, but it's fun and probably the best perversion of CRPG out there. ME games were good (the second being perhaps the best popamole ever made) until 3; plus space lesbians give points.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not saying they're good games, but I have actually liked:

KotOR (it's "expanded universe" SW, and I played it first right after reading the KOTOR-series of comic books by Dark Horse, which is awesome)
NWN (I loved the first chapter, the "urban" one, and custom, real-life-GM-managed campaigns, which actually felt as close to "digital D&D" as one could get)
ME (it's a bland RPG but ok-ish, despite feeling like a KOTOR mod in many aspects, plus it's space opera and occasionally provides a great atmosphere. Yet, I wonder how the fuck people like ME2 more than ME...)

PS - I agree the Asari are utter, fanservice, teenage-pleasing shit, but that's not enough to completely ruin the game's world to me.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
People genuinely love ME2 but judge me for enjoying NWN 2 OC? :rpgcodex:

I loathe both, the latter solely because of the camera (sadly, no amount of patches/fixes/mods ever persuaded me to give it another serious chance), admittedly. XD

PS - people who "genuinely love" ME2 should get their Codex account insta-converted to an xbox-magazine one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom