Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has this company ever made a single good game?

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Even if you don't like RTwP, Baldur's Gate 2 is, at the very least, replayable. Battles that involve high level spells are cool, there are plenty viable strategies with all classes and kits, and mods like Tactics/Ascension/Improved Battles are a good test for those who really dissected the game. All the joinable NPCs fill in cool niches (except Cernd, fuck Cernd) in combat. There's banter.

Granted, Baldur's Gate has also royally fucked over Druids and Bards and the implementation of D&D mechanics has been lackluster in places, especially in comparison with IWD, whose writing feels much more mature. I wouldn't call it objectively bad, nevertheless. I still have fun tinkering with it and doing oddball stuff. The multiplayer is good for that purpose too.

Doktor Best

Arcane
People genuinely love ME2 but judge me for enjoying NWN 2 OC? :rpgcodex:

Nobodys judging you, i also kinda enjoyed NWN2 OC which i played until i wrecked my savegames. It was certainly better than NWN 1 OC which was a major dissapointment for me. Its all about managing expectations, as in not expecting a worthy Baldurs Gate successor.

Same with Mass Effect, i liked the series as a sort of dialogue heavy FPS with some rpg-light elements and i digged the cheesy perry rhodan setting. Mass effect 2 even more so than mass effect 1 because it had better gunplay, was better balanced, had better writing and mission design, and the "complexity" it cut from mass effect one was not interesting at all so that was not a big loss.

Aslong as you dont consider it a crpg or compare it to that genre, everything is fine.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Nobodys judging you, i also kinda enjoyed NWN2 OC which i played until i wrecked my savegames. It was certainly better than NWN 1 OC which was a major dissapointment for me. Its all about managing expectations, as in not expecting a worthy Baldurs Gate successor.

Same with Mass Effect, i liked the series as a sort of dialogue heavy FPS with some rpg-light elements and i digged the cheesy perry rhodan setting. Mass effect 2 even more so than mass effect 1 because it had better gunplay, was better balanced, had better writing and mission design, and the "complexity" it cut from mass effect one was not interesting at all so that was not a big loss.

Aslong as you dont consider it a crpg or compare it to that genre, everything is fine.

NWN 2 OC is quite enjoyable, especially for those that REALLY enjoy 3rd Edition D&D ruleset. Tons of build paths you can take + fun items + fun crafting. Making the perfect murder machine is FUN. The "How fast I can murder Locke with my build" game never really gets old.

But, hey, NWN 2 OC is not a bioware game. And OP is very, VERY, tryhard.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I think asking if they have made a good game is silly. They make pretty good games..sometimes. They might not be very good RPG's, but I have found them entertaining. I liked KotOR back in the day, but I never really considered it a great RPG like Fallout. Good Star Wars game though.

Also, Mass Effect is shit. I don't feel like it is a RPG and the romance sub-plots are gay.

DraQ

Arcane
tl;dr:
Really, I expected you, at least, to be able to see right through a thin and clumsy disguise ineptly draped over an insertion of space lesbians for space lesbians' sake.

A lot of that stuff is just nitpicking. You could make the same sort of criticisms about Fallout, or really any work of speculative fiction. Including hard science fiction likes the works of Michael Crichton.
Crichton is by no means some sort of high water mark for hard sci-fi, especially that he rarely strode out of the five-minutes-into-the-future realm of what is commonly referred to as techno-thrillers.

And sure, a lot of fairly classic sci-fi (mostly TV/cinema) were full of blunders, embarassingly retarded shit or intentional camp.
However ME is in an uncomfortable situation of being somewhat less rubber-foreheady or intentionally campy which makes its blue space lesbian gurls stick out like a sore thumb compared to rather carefully constructed (for an unashamed space opera, at least) rest of the setting, further exacerbated by having its main glaringly retarded feature being clearly designed as fap fetish for horny landwhales.

It's like having stiletto heeled chainmail bikini outfit among otherwise reasonably designed armors and weapons VS having it as part of campy mishmash of bondage gear for suicidal martial exhibitionists. See the difference?

When I facepalm at crew members in ST "devolving" in some primitively looking salamander things the brain pain involved is nevertheless dulled by the fact that I should have expected this kind of retarded blunder from ST occasionally, the fact that it's a flick revolving largely about people with glued on rubber foreheads pretending that they are aliens and that it probably happened purely by accident because the person who wrote that just happened to be a fucking cretin.

OTOH with Asari I know full well that they are part of an assembly of alien races that are rarely humanoid beyond general body plan (more than a handful couldn't be emulated by applying conventional rubber foreheads to conventional human actors, at least) and feature a number of decently thought out concepts (not superb, mind you, but just about good enough to not get a free pass based on rubber forehead logic) and I know full well that they are as much of an outlier only because someone really wanted to have blue space lesbians banging everything, regardless of sex or species, even if it looks like a fucking jellyfish or a goriphant.
It also makes the issue of physical incompatibility crop up in much the same way it does not when the supposed alien races only differ in skin colour and shape of their rubber foreheads.

Their universal attractiveness is spurred by the fact they exude a pheromone (which is the real source of all attraction, not physical qualities) that affects any biological organism. Probably a contribution of the Protheans.
Yeah, well, the pheromones tend to be highly specific, you see.
DraQ

Also you assume that every lifeform in the universe mates based on physical attraction. Even your example, a dog, would counter your argument since they hump everything, everywhere.
Umm... no.
I just assume that there is a good chance many sophonts would mate based on fairly complex set of criteria rather than simple single-stimulus trigger (which is rather reasonable given that complex brain allows you to process complex information and mate selection is kind of a big thing) and that with multiple sophonts having long lists of multiple things they find attractive you would inevitably run into many mutual exclusives between species.
Also consider uncanny valley - almost nailing the right combination with only few extreme outliers may be even worse than completely missing it. There are many reasons to consider uncanny valley not a strictly human phenomenon.

Asari being shapeshifters was something i expected to find out in the course of the game though to be honest. It would fit their concept much more and it would also inherit a nice twist to movies like "the thing" to see such a lifeform behaving as actual social beings.
It would also not suffer from being *inevitably* doomed to not making any fucking sense.
After all it is much easier to be sexually attractive and compatible with multiple alien species when you don't have to be both to all of them at once.

And if you really insist on inserting your fetish into your sci-fi, it really helps to make a plausible cover and a lot of it - no one wants to discover they are actually inside an awful slash-fic when already half way through the experience.
It's fiction's equivalent of waking up in bed with a throbbing headache and no recollection of prior events (barring very sketchy and ambiguous fragments of presumably the earliest and least interesting ones) next to a ball-gagged sheep and a large guy named Bob.

Asari are obvious fapbait but the concept of a race obsessed with genetic diversity (to the point of looking down on asari that breed with asari) was kind of interesting. The opposite of the typical space elf who is borderline redneck with their racial purity spiels, but still keeping most of the haughtiness. I wish we saw more of the Hanar too, but they were mostly relegated to comic relief (Shepard: "IT'S A GODDAMNED JELLYFISH").

The early game dragged on for ages, even if you skipped the tutorial village (that gives Vault 101 a run for its money), which probably doesn't inspire many people to continue and see if the rest is any good.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
71209-37835-1.jpg

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
Yes they have.

Camera is horrible in each of them but It's nothing you can't get used to in half an hour or so. Well ME has decent TPS camera. Especially ME2.
The quality is definitely in constant decline since BG2, but IMO they have only reached horrible with Dragon Age series.

Deleted member 7219

All their RPGs have been great, with flaws. Same as any other company really, but Obsidian and CDPR are better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom