Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has there ever been a monster/enemy you could not beat?

baronjohn

Cipher
Cliff Racer. No matter how many times I killed him, he just kept coming back.

SKREE SKREE SKREEEEEEEEEEEEE

Melcar

Arcane
Sigma in Mega Man X. Hated that fucker and could never beat him until I got older and came back to the game years latter. My kid brother beat him on his first try though, fucking next-geners.
Kangaxx also comes to mind. Eventually did managed to kill him though, but only after my 5 replay of the game.
The Flee Queen in Plok. I guess I was always too tired and annoyed with the game by the time I got to that part, so frustration was probably what prevented me from beating that boss.
Most end bosses from Capcom´s Vs. games. Always die in some cheap fashion and never bother with it again.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Darth Roxor said:
Motherfucking Megadragon in mm5
Need some pointers? :smug:

I don't think I ever managed to kill the Megadragon in MM2, though apparently others have (there's videos in youtube).

In MM5 you just need to be as high level as possible, and extremely lucky (his breath attack can eradicate). With my party fully buffed up I remember it taking about 6 rounds of hitting him with melee before he went down, relatively straightforward. It may be more efficient to use spells, though IIRC he's extremely resistant to magic.

anus_pounder said:
CRPG? Nope.

Any game in general? Yes, this fucker -

skifree.gif

That was so awesome, in what today's sport game does a evil yeti come and eat you?

oldmanpaco said:
Oesophagus said:
Kangaxx :oops:

Never had the patience for the fucker...

Mace of Disruption FTW.

Scroll of Undead protection or magic protection, any +4 weapon, maybe Ring of the Ram because it looks funny when the skull flies across the place into a wall. There was nothing difficult in that fight other than you had to have a few items, at first I lacked that +4 weapon. Anyway I find the Red Dragon tougher, there's no single item that helps you totally destroy that fucker (or is there?)

Melcar said:
Sigma in Mega Man X. Hated that fucker and could never beat him until I got older and came back to the game years latter. My kid brother beat him on his first try though, fucking next-geners.
Kangaxx also comes to mind. Eventually did managed to kill him though, but only after my 5 replay of the game.
The Flee Queen in Plok. I guess I was always too tired and annoyed with the game by the time I got to that part, so frustration was probably what prevented me from beating that boss.
Most end bosses from Capcom´s Vs. games. Always die in some cheap fashion and never bother with it again.

Mega Man X isn't a CRPG too... Anyway I couldn't even beat Sigma Spider back then. And can't beat Mega Man 9's last boss now, I have finished 1 and 2 but somehow this fucker is too much.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I never did beat the Ruby and Emerald weapons in FF7. But then again, I only played the game once and haven't even considered playing it again.

As for Baldur's Gate... both Kangaxx and Demogorgon I can kill. Likewise the Beholder and Mind Flayer lairs. But I couldn't beat the endgame of Throne of Bhaal with the Ascension mod. I'll have to try again... someday.

Megadragon died the last time I played through WoX. I haven't played any of the Wizardry games for longer than 10 minutes so I can't comment on the Beast of 1000 Eyes.

I remember... when playing through MM7, you eventually side with one faction, and all the monsters in the other faction's city will attack you. I had a hell of a time clearing out a dungeon related to one of those towns... I think it was the one full of Behemoths in the "Evil" city.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sceptic said:
Need some pointers? :smug:

Well, if I tried again now, I would probably make it. MM4/5 also has the power shield thingy from MM3, right? 'Cause that was retardedly overpowered against the Dragon Lord in mm3, and I guess the same gimmick should be used against the Megadragon. I didn't quite notice/use the power shield spell when playing Xeen, though.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sure. Almost all of the dungeon population in Nethack. I "beat" the game by cheating my ass off.

Dungeon hell levels were still nightmareish even with full immunities and greyswandir and mirthil plate and 4 attacks per turn and shit.
:thumbsup:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Yep, WOX does have Power Shield. I just go with the Day Of Protection/Sorcery spells though, Sorcery includes Power Shield and Protection gives you Heroism and other useful stuff. Drinking from the +level fountain on the NE corner of Darkside is also a good idea.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Sceptic said:
I don't think I ever managed to kill the Megadragon in MM2, though apparently others have (there's videos in youtube).
I remembered it, but I thought what it was unbeatable, being plot device and all. Impressive indeed.

Erebus

Arcane
The Ascension mod made many fights in ToB much more challenging. I recently felt like playing ToB with Ascension again (without having played SoA before) and Improved Illasera kept raping my wizard with her arrows of dispel until I finally gave up and brought back normal Illasera. With a complete party, of course, I wouldn't have found it so impossible !

I never could defeat Improved Demogorgon. If I remember correctly, the fucker keeps summoning mariliths, who have very high magic resistance and protect themselves with Stoneskins.

I never could win the final Ascension battle. The one time I was doing rather well, it crashed my computer... :/

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Fowyr said:
Sceptic said:
I remembered it, but I thought what it was unbeatable, being plot device and all. Impressive indeed.

I'm pretty sure I beat the Megadragon when I played MM2 on my Amiga. AFAIR I mapped every single square of that game.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The game protects itself.

"So you think you're winning motherfucker? Cheese this! *CTD*".

I managed to solo Demogorgon once with a F/M/T boosted to higher levels that he should be and cheesed with backstab and the solar summon.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It is apparently possible to kill Iuz and St. Cutberth in ToEE (if you glitch it so they don't dissappear).

St. Cutberth has a CR of 60. Iuz has one of 35 or so.

Black Cat

Magister
Has there ever been a monster/enemy you could not beat?

The ones who come to mind in role playing games, like the Doppelgangers on SMT2, are more of i'm too lazy to manually kill a random enemy I can't AUTO through so let's just run away and call it a day instead of them being actually impossible to defeat for me. So not really, at least in role playing games.

The only enemy who comes to my mind upon reading the thread title is from a shmup, Rin Kaenbyou from Subterranean Animism, who I have never managed get past without spaming credits in her general direction, and I have tried so very much it's not even funny any more. I would truly hate her if she weren't a Kasha Necromancer and, thus, the very definition of what my mind finds to be cool and awesome, and kawaii too. So instead I just made her my favourite character ever and now I can lose to her try after try after try (after try after try after try) without feeling bad about it. After all I'm losing to my heroine.

And she's the very reason I admire Kefit so bloody much.

DaveO

Erudite
SSI games usually had at least one if not several high level encounters that were difficult to win. Zeus from Phantasie I, Anawt from Eternal Dagger, and from what I've read a good number of SSI's Gold Box games had tough fights.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DaveO said:
a good number of SSI's Gold Box games had tough fights.
Off the top of my head I only remember the Mulmaster Beholder Corp, though it was tough. And Gothmenes, but that one was fucking required. PoD, how I love to hate thee. Were there any other optional tough/impossible boss fights in the Gold Box games?

Fowyr said:
I remembered it, but I thought what it was unbeatable, being plot device and all.
That's what I thought as well, so I never bothered. Besides, if you're fighting it, it means the king is dead and you can no longer finish the MQ.

octavius said:
I'm pretty sure I beat the Megadragon when I played MM2 on my Amiga. AFAIR I mapped every single square of that game.
You don't need to kill the Megadragon to map it all out IIRC, as the automap doesn't distinguish between time periods. Still, killing him is an impressive achievement. As for mapping, I didn't map out the 8 squares around Ground Zero that kill a character when you step on them. I also clearly remember 2 squares in Dragon's Dominion that I could never access (Etherealize doesn't work). To this date I have no idea if they're accessible (no walkthrough I've seen has been into them, IIRC not even the cluebook).

Oesophagus

Arcane
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Scroll of Undead protection or magic protection, any +4 weapon, maybe Ring of the Ram because it looks funny when the skull flies across the place into a wall. There was nothing difficult in that fight other than you had to have a few items, at first I lacked that +4 weapon. Anyway I find the Red Dragon tougher, there's no single item that helps you totally destroy that fucker (or is there?)

I guess I went there too soon, since he just basically mazed the fuck out of me (which is even more silly as the main char "dies" when he gets imprisoned). The Red dragon is a bitch too, cause you meet him fairly early in the game. Then again you can use cheese tactics on him :smug:

CrimHead

Scholar
Pretty much anything in Gothic 2 without abusing quicksaves/quickloads

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Oesophagus said:
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:

I guess I went there too soon, since he just basically mazed the fuck out of me (which is even more silly as the main char "dies" when he gets imprisoned). The Red dragon is a bitch too, cause you meet him fairly early in the game. Then again you can use cheese tactics on him :smug:
Is using right spells in a right way a cheese tactic or not? Because every fight is a piece of cake if you use them properly.

For Kagnaxx there is a protection from the one selected realm spell (just choose the one that has imprisonment in it, I don't remember the name).

For dragons there is lower resistance x2 (and then just anything will do, even magic missiles).

For mind flyers and beholders there are summons like 7th level swords or stalkers.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sceptic said:
DaveO said:
a good number of SSI's Gold Box games had tough fights.
Off the top of my head I only remember the Mulmaster Beholder Corp, though it was tough. And Gothmenes, but that one was fucking required. PoD, how I love to hate thee. Were there any other optional tough/impossible boss fights in the Gold Box games?

There were the Dave's Challenges in Death Knights of Krynn and PoD. The former was tough but by no means impossible. The other I never tried because I couldn't answer the riddle.

Dark Queen of Krynn had some vert tough, almost impossible battles. On my latest runthough I gave up when I ran into a host of vampires under the city attacked by dragons ((Christobal?) and realized my party was just too weak to survive. There was also an underground area later where it was impossible to rest and there were lots of large patrols of high level human spell casters and fighters and you had to unleash most of your Delayed Blast Fireballs to survive without being to beat up.
And meeting the Queen herself seemed to be pure luck if you suvived or not

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom