Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has there ever been a monster/enemy you could not beat?

Just wondering if anyone has ran across any creature's or enemies in a CRPG that they simply could not defeat.

My own is from Magic Candle 2.

Doombeasts. Weird, blue things in the deeper levels of dungeons, that are damn tough by themselves, but constantly spawn new 'beasts'. I have never been able to defeat them, and had to engineer my own dirty trick to get past them whenever I encountered them. I would cast timestop, followed by teleport spells, moving each member of the party to the other side of the room (or where ever the other exiting door is) and fleeing out.

Ruprekt

Scholar
Trying to remember what I did with doombeasts. Maybe I excised the failure from my memory.

I'm pretty sure there was something (or somethings) in Drakkhen I could never figure out how to kill.

7hm

Scholar
I gave up on Exile 2 when I was in one of the castles right at the end and I met a Doomguard. I had never figured out how to kill them (I was young!) and I ended up in a position I couldn't get out of. I figured I had put enough time into the game to consider it "done enough".

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Still to this day I have a difficult time handling beholders and mindflayers in Baldur's Gate. Usually dropping down a difficulty level or two would "fix" it.

That's all I can think of though.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Doom Beasts, hm, I remember what I sprayed them with arrows to find real one.
My own nightmare - Beast of the 1000 eyes. In the last run after many tries I defeated it, but my party was broken.

Erebus

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Motherfucking Megadragon in mm5

Same here. And also the dude from the spaceship in MM7 (fortunately, you can steal the item you need from him). Attacks that can instantly desintegrate a PC are just not fair.

circ

Arcane
Not in RPG's and the like. There's always some cheap way to take shit down. In shmups and other arcade games, different story.

Flemeth for instance I think was pretty easy with cone freeze spam or something.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Erebus said:
Darth Roxor said:

Same here. And also the dude from the spaceship in MM7 (fortunately, you can steal the item you need from him). Attacks that can instantly desintegrate a PC are just not fair.
protection from magic is your friend.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
hoverdog said:
Erebus said:
Darth Roxor said:

protection from magic is your friend.
Indeed. On the other hand, you don't have such protection in the M&M6 and Terminators tried to rape you really hard.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Can't recall anyone from unmodded games.
But The Butcher in The Hell Mod for Diablo was virtually unbeatable.

JrK said:
That annoying bricks-flying-across-screen end stage boss in Megaman1/3.

Yellow Devil? Yeah, couldn't beat that fuck without the elec man weapon glitch. That's not a CRPG, however.

Neither is FF7, but I couldn't beat either of the weapons because beating them requires you to play a bunch of really annoying minigames.

In actual CRPG's, can't think of anything 'cept Wizardry 8, I'm not apparently very good with that game and the 3D maneuvering really drives me off it. There are those fucking bats that aren't so tough but inflict status effects that are expensive to heal, then there are those things in that rat tree city that cast instant death spells at you from a long range, and a bunch of other things, creatures that have more HP than your entire party and they usually don't come alone, either. I suppose you can deal with all of that somehow but really, I'd much rather play a straightforward step-by-step game where maneuvering into corners, attacking you from unlimited range and monsters biting your mage's butt doesn't come into play. Like Wizardry 7, a better game in all ways.

The Wizard

Educated
Andyman Messiah said:
Still to this day I have a difficult time handling beholders and mindflayers in Baldur's Gate. Usually dropping down a difficulty level or two would "fix" it.
wizards eye, mordenkainen swords(or skeleton warriors) = dead llithid.

come to think of it: summoning stuff and sending them of together with a wizards eye is my solution to everything in this game.

anus_pounder

Arcane
CRPG? Nope.

Any game in general? Yes, this fucker -

skifree.gif

KalosKagathos

Learned
The Reaper in Persona 3, although I wanted the game to be bloody over at that point and didn't particularly try.

SkepticsClaw

Potential Fire Hazard
Ha, the SkiFree Yeti! Many's the time I tried to escape from him when I was but a lad. I was absolutely convinced that if I could just get away somehow I'd complete the level.

In RPGs? I've never got to the point where I thought 'I'll never beat this guy aargh', but I've gotten to a really difficult fight, failed, then not played the game ever again. I just dislike having to reload games, my instinct apparently is if I get thrashed enough times then I'm dead and therefore not allowed to continue. Or something. Also I'm terrible at completing end bosses, when I get to that stage I know there isn't anything more to play and therefore often don't get around to actually finishing the game properly.

Ammar

Scholar
Wisps and Shadowlords in Ultima 5 if you don't have the Crown. Megadragon from M&M, most of the Gorrors in Wiz 7. Doombeasts were annoying, but a combination of arrows and jump spells or if absolutely necessary a Destroy would take them down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom