Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Goat's Quick and Dirty RPG 2014 Ranking Poll

Which of the following RPGs do you deem worthy of a RPGoTY 2014 award?

• Banner Saga

• Blackguards

• Bound by Flame

• Child of Light

• Consortium

• Dark Souls 2

• Dead State

• Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

• Divinity: Original Sin

• Elminage: Gothic

• Eschalon: Book III

• Halfway

• Heroes of a Broken Land

• Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok

• The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II

• Legend of Grimrock II

• LISA

• Lords of the Fallen

• Lords of Xulima

• Might and Magic X: Legacy

• NEO Scavenger

• Quest for Infamy

• Risen 3

• Shadowrun: Dragonfall – Director's Cut

• South Park: The Stick of Truth

• Unrest

• Valkyria Chronicles

• Wasteland 2

• Xenonauts

• Kingcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I just don't know how you can not pick kingcomrade in every poll.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The only games I played for the first time in 2014 were Fallout 2, The Witcher and Wasteland 2.

Seeing as Fallout 2 was released in 1951 and The Witcher in 1025, I had no choice but to vote Wasteland 2 and Kingcomrade.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
If I like this poll does it mean I'm a bad person? :D

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
You did pretty lousy job, then. Lords of the Van Helsing Souls my ass. :roll: Cut it down to the 5-10 real ones, then we talk.
That. Quality>Quantity...

I don't understand why people make lists with a truck load of games. Is it just to impress people that you played some game nobody else did?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Every game gets a chance, it's quite arrogant to pre-select what games can or cannot be voted for. Just think of How many mainstream polls excluded NEO Scaveneger without ever giving it a chance...

Also, it serves as a control group. The more entries, the easiest to spot patterns and tendencies.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Every game gets a chance, it's quite arrogant to pre-select what games can or cannot be voted for. Just think of How many mainstream polls excluded NEO Scaveneger without ever giving it a chance...

Also, it serves as a control group. The more entries, the easiest to spot patterns and tendencies.

But is it fair to add games that only a small percentage has played and liked?
I don't want to bash Neo Scavenger as I have not played it. It might be superb, even the best in the list. But is it really fair to include it in top 3 if only a very small minority has played it?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I wouldn't call 16% a small minority. Of all the 54 games in the list, only 2 (D:OS and W2) were played by more than 50% of the voters. There were a lot of good releases this year, and everyone played a different game.

And the survey had +1200 votes. Those 16% mean 198 people. That's not a small group by any means - NeoGAF's Essential RPG list this year had less voters than that.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I wouldn't call 16% a small minority. Of all the 54 games in the list, only 2 (D:OS and W2) were played by more than 50% of the voters. There were a lot of good releases this year, and everyone played a different game.

And the survey had +1200 votes. Those 16% mean 198 people. That's not a small group by any means - NeoGAF's Essential RPG list this year had less voters than that.

Yeah that's cool and all, but you can get into situation when 16% nominate the best game of year. By no means this does not mean that the game can not be the best that year or all time, but 16% is not that representative. I think (this is arbitrary) that around 30% should be the bare minimum to make the sample representative.

And the game was released only in December.
A non - argument.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah that's cool and all, but you can get into situation when 16% nominate the best game of year. By no means this does not mean that the game can not be the best that year or all time, but 16% is not that representative. I think (this is arbitrary) that around 30% should be the bare minimum to make the sample representative.
:hmmm:

Like, you won't even try to back that up with something? "16% is bad, 30% is better - yes it's arbitrary" the end? Do you even realize that out of 54 games, only 9 have more than 30%? We couldn't even make a Top 10 this way.

This would be our "Top 9" GOTY:

Divinity: Original Sin
Shadowrun: Dragonfall – Director's Cut
Wasteland 2
Might and Magic X: Legacy
Dark Souls 2
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Blackguards
Banner Saga
Dragon Age: Inquisition

Fucking awesome eh?

Stelcio

Savant
A non - argument.

Yeah, because games released in December have as much time to build critical acclaim and fanbase before the awards as those released in January... only they don't. Especially those less promoted.

Weasel
"Top 9" GOTY:

Wasteland 2
Dark Souls 2
Blackguards
Banner Saga

Fucking awesome eh?

Now we're talking

:kwafuckyeah:

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
This would be our "Top 9" GOTY:

Wasteland 2
Dark Souls 2
Blackguards
Banner Saga

Fucking awesome eh?
Does not look to bad, actually. Get rid of Dark Souls 2, DA, shift Xulima somehwere in. Maybe swap BG, Saga, SP around. Honest, well-played list.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Does not look to bad, actually. Get rid of Dark Souls 2, DA, shift Xulima somehwere in. Maybe swap BG, Saga, SP around. Honest, well-played list.

You also need to push WL2 down a bit and plug NS and HQ into the top 5, but yes, very good list.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
:hmmm:

1. Like, you won't even try to back that up with something? "16% is bad, 30% is better - yes it's arbitrary" the end? Do you even realize that out of 54 games, only 9 have more than 30%? 2. We couldn't even make a Top 10 this way.

1. One third of population and a bigger number. It could be close to 30, not necessarily more than 30. This would help to escape a situation when a small hardcore population would nominate a the winner of the year.
2. That could be adjusted with larger weights for more players. No point in dramatizing situation.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Or you could just use a bayesian average that adjusts for how many people vote for each game. That way games wouldn't get cut out just because enough people didn't play them.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
You could write a small script for the front page that lets every visitor put in the cutoff number they personally deem appropriate. Then they click Confirm and get taken to a dynamically generated list of titles based on that number. The top 3 could still get individual blurbs, provided the staff is willing to write a summary and create a small banner for every mathematically possible top three game.

Mortmal

Arcane
If you consider that felipepe poll is not good enough i think the only fair way to chose the rpg of the year is gathering every codexers in an arena. Use swords, axes,etc, keep it at medieval weaponry level so things dont get too expensive. The last man standing will nominate 3 titles.

Also its a butthurt poll, show me on the Doll where dragon age inqusition touched you .

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Or you could just use a bayesian average that adjusts for how many people vote for each game. That way games wouldn't get cut out just because enough people didn't play them.

But what's the point in picking codex No. 1, if you are going to pick something that only a few people played?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom