Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Goat's Quick and Dirty RPG 2014 Ranking Poll

Which of the following RPGs do you deem worthy of a RPGoTY 2014 award?

• Banner Saga

• Blackguards

• Bound by Flame

• Child of Light

• Consortium

• Dark Souls 2

• Dead State

• Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

• Divinity: Original Sin

• Elminage: Gothic

• Eschalon: Book III

• Halfway

• Heroes of a Broken Land

• Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok

• The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II

• Legend of Grimrock II

• LISA

• Lords of the Fallen

• Lords of Xulima

• Might and Magic X: Legacy

• NEO Scavenger

• Quest for Infamy

• Risen 3

• Shadowrun: Dragonfall – Director's Cut

• South Park: The Stick of Truth

• Unrest

• Valkyria Chronicles

• Wasteland 2

• Xenonauts

• Kingcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.
Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
So I've taken felipepepe's voting list, trimmed it of most JRPG crap and other games I don't think qualify into one handy forum poll since his didn't even require a Codex account to vote. This prestigious poll also have an very important additon of an Kingcomrade option in case you thought everything released this year was shit. Let the voting begin.
+M

roshan

Arcane
So I've taken felipepepe's voting list, trimmed it of most JRPG crap and other games I don't think qualify into one handy forum poll since his didn't even require a Codex account to vote. This prestigious poll also have an very important additon of an Kingcomrade option in case you thought everything released this year was shit. Let the voting begin.
+M

Isn't that kind of fucked up if it doesn't require a Codex account? The poll could have easily been spammed by people from other forums or game specific fan sites.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
Isn't that kind of fucked up if it doesn't require a Codex account? The poll could have easily been spammed by people from other forums or game specific fan sites.
Yeah, supposedly the results were pretty in line with the Codex's general consensus but we'll see about that when he publishes the final results.
> removes Underrail and Age of decadence
> adds Child of Light and Van Helsing
Underrail and AoD aren't out yet, you dummy. This is the 2014 GOTY poll, not the list of upcoming incline. While what has been released of Underrail during 2014 really is GOTY material I don't think it is fair to include it.

roshan

Arcane
Yeah, supposedly the results were pretty in line with the Codex's general consensus but we'll see about that when he publishes the final results.
Underrail and AoD aren't out yet, you dummy. This is the 2014 GOTY poll, not the list of upcoming incline.

I like the way this poll is set up. Voting for multiple games, but only the top tier.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Underrail and AoD aren't out yet, you dummy. This is the 2014 GOTY poll, not the list of upcoming incline. While what has been released of Underrail during 2014 really is GOTY material I don't think it is fair to include it.

Ouch, you were quick, I edited that within a minute of posting. The point still stands on some of the games on that list.

APGunner

Augur
Banner Saga, Halfway, Shadowrun and Kingcomrade are games I enjoyed the most last year.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm a bit puzzled that Xenonauts was included in the list as a RPG. But it's a gud gaem, so I voted for it anyway.

Also, poll is missing DA:I. It may be shit, but it's a 2014 release. I guess KingComrade votes are votes for DA:I.

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I actually really like the way this poll is set up. (That is, the fact that you can select an arbitrary number of games but not rank them)

I like the way this poll is set up. Voting for multiple games, but only the top tier.
I didn't read this post before replying. Looks like we are on to something here.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
I'm a bit puzzled that Xenonauts was included in the list as a RPG. But it's a gud gaem, so I voted for it anyway.
It was on the original list, I thought about excluding it but decided not to since there are a lot of tactical games that's only vaguely RPGs on the list that I might have to exclude too to be consistent.
Also, poll is missing DA:I. It may be shit, but it's a 2014 release. I guess KingComrade votes are votes for DA:I.
It's intentionally absent, just like Sacred 3, it's one of those games that doesn't qualify. If you want to be edgy, funny, clever or just stick your nose outside GD long enough to mess with the nerds the KC option is there for you. Besides, there wasn't room enough for it in the poll. It's not that it is a shitty game, there are quite a few of those on the list, it's the fact that it is tard bait that made me decide not to let people vote on it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
[poll is missing DA:I] It's intentionally absent, just like Sacred 3, it's one of those games that doesn't qualify.

So you include Dark Souls 2 (which only has RPG stat/fighting mechanics and there are no other RPG mechanics other than that), but don't include DA:I?

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
Where's the "this poll is stupid and OP is a goat" option?

It's funny how you include Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls, Van Helsing II, Daruku Souru II, but not Dragon Age Inquisition or Elder Scrolls Online.

Either make an all-inclusive RPG list, or trim it down to the few non-consoletarded titles that deserve attention. Instead, you arbitrarily included some consoletardation but not other, and games which are not rpgs (Diablo, Xenonauts).

You're a fucking idiot, Goat Vomit.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
How is Unrest an RPG? Specially, I'm wondering about the P and G parts.

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So you include Dark Souls 2 (which only has RPG stat/fighting mechanics and there are no other RPG mechanics other than that), but don't include DA:I?
Well, Dark Souls 2 is a good game at least. So it has that going for it.

Nyast

Cipher
Agreed, I wouldn't have voted for it anyway, but not including DA:I in that list just because you don't like it, totally invalidates this poll. It's retarded.

Gregz

Arcane

This poll isn't much better. Unproven newfags with week-old accounts can both see and vote in this poll.

The one true poll should be listed in GD, invisible to those who are not yet at one with the hivemind.

btw OP, there is more than one goat on this forum, and Night Goat is not amused by your antics.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
People sure are sore about DA:I not being on there, I'm most pleased about this.
:M

The current top three is pretty much what I expected.

1. Divinity: Original Sin
2. Wasteland 2
3. Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Directors Cut

I didn't think Wasteland 2 would come out on top over Dragonfall since a lot of impressions I've seen was sort of disappointed with it but I guess those people were just a vocal minority. The final outcome might change still though. I don't want to comment on the other entries until the poll is over since many of them are quite close and I wouldn't want to influence any straggler voters, but it is nice to see smaller games get some love even though they can't really compete with the big releases.

felipepepe, would you say my results are more or less popamole than what the mass of pleb voters have provided you with so far? Does having a codex account make any difference in your taste?

roshan

Arcane
Comparing the data on this thread with the thread on RPGs purchased, this yields some interesting results (of course tons of assumptions exist, including no piracy, no demoing, limited exclusive use of kingcomrade etc.).

GAME BOUGHT VOTED %VOTE

Blackguards 45.2 20.6 46%
Lords of Xulima 26.5 18.6 70%
Wasteland 2 69.7 45.1 65%
Dragonfall 65.8 37.3 57%
MMX 34.8 16.7 48%
Divinity OS 68.4 53.9 79%
Dead State 25.8 5.9 23%
Banner Saga 35.5 8.8 25%
Neo Scavenger 23.2 15.7 68%

Out of the games it seems that Dead State is the worst performer as only 23% of purchasers think it is GOTY material. Banner Saga also performs poorly at 25%.

The top performer seems to be Divinity Original Sin at 79%. Close on it's heels are Lords of Xulima (70%), Neo Scavenger (68%) and Wasteland 2 (65%).

The Dragonfall stat might be highly inaccurate as the other thread counted it together with the SRR.

I don't know if this shit needs to be adjusted due to different numbers of votes (around a hundred people seem to have voted here versus about 150 in the other thread) but I doubt it as we are looking at percentages versus percentages.

Blackguards and MMX have mediocre conversion rates.

One thing this makes clear is that more Codexers need to give LoX and Neo Scavenger a shot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom