Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Goat's Quick and Dirty RPG 2014 Ranking Poll

Which of the following RPGs do you deem worthy of a RPGoTY 2014 award?

• Banner Saga

• Blackguards

• Bound by Flame

• Child of Light

• Consortium

• Dark Souls 2

• Dead State

• Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

• Divinity: Original Sin

• Elminage: Gothic

• Eschalon: Book III

• Halfway

• Heroes of a Broken Land

• Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok

• The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II

• Legend of Grimrock II

• LISA

• Lords of the Fallen

• Lords of Xulima

• Might and Magic X: Legacy

• NEO Scavenger

• Quest for Infamy

• Risen 3

• Shadowrun: Dragonfall – Director's Cut

• South Park: The Stick of Truth

• Unrest

• Valkyria Chronicles

• Wasteland 2

• Xenonauts

• Kingcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe, would you say my results are more or less popamole than what the mass of pleb voters have provided you with so far? Does having a codex account make any difference in your taste?
I told you guys there was a trend since the survey was only abut 50 bros and limited to codexers. The data is very similar.

However, the results differ due to the methodology I chose. We all knew that D:OS and W2 would get the most votes, simply due to their popularity, so I use a bayesian average & a rating system to compensate. That way we get the games people enjoyed the most, not the most played. And we know just how much did people enjoy each game.

For example, the current #1 game in my survey has eight hundred votes, and more than 50% of those are 5/5. Now THAT is GOTY material.

Weasel
For example, the current #1 game in my survey has eight hundred votes, and more than 50% of those are 5/5. Now THAT is GOTY material.

It seems Dark Souls 2 is even more popular than expected

:troll:

Looking forward to the results. The 'played' figures will be interesting to see too, especially for lesser known titles like NEO Scavenger.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
However, the results differ due to the methodology I chose. We all knew that D:OS and W2 would get the most votes,

Yeah, and this we absolutely cannot allow. Voting, as we know, is not about who or what gets most votes, it is usually done to confirm the predefined assumption of the organiser(s)?

Other things aside, I cannot (or I should not) still vote for a game that I have not played, so your system is not waterproof.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is not like I'm changing the methodology mid-voting, I stated very clearly I would use a bayesian average from the start. I do it because rating by popularity is pointless IMHO, it's obvious that the big releases will get more votes than something like NEO Scavenger or Xulima. I want to know what people liked the most, not played the most.

And I never claimed my system was waterproof. Ideally, people should only vote once and only on games they played, but there have been trolls giving 1/5 to all games or trying to vote many times in a row. Still, I'm quite confident that the result reflects the views of the Codex.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm just pissed that your voting is on an external site where anyone can vote (unless you have changed it and I haven't noticed). I did not actually vote on your poll because of this.

The problem is also that because of limited free time, I only play games that are initially well received at the Codex (+ some others that are not RPG's). So my opinion is kind of biased by the Codex itself.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Every system has it flaws. Got more than 1200 votes so far, no fucking way this would happen if the voting was just on the forums. The Top 70 RPGs voting ran for a month and only had about 350 votes.

Also, it's very practical. All data is automatically sent to a google spreadsheet. I say this recalling just how much time I spent typing all 350 votes into excel last year... The only real downside is how open to trolls & outsiders it is. If we could get a survey addon running on Xenforo, we could fix those for next year's voting.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think Divinity: Original Sin will win. Which I think sucks, because in my opinion Wasteland 2 deserves to win, and I'd be very content with Dragonfall winning.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So our votes were deleted again? This is the third time I vote.

For me, Blackguards and Divinity: Original Sin where the games from this list that I enjoyed the most. I enjoyed other games, too, but these two are my top picks.

I liked Shadowrun: Dragonfall, but it still needs some improvements to be GOTY material in my opinion.

roshan

Arcane
Is not like I'm changing the methodology mid-voting, I stated very clearly I would use a bayesian average from the start. I do it because rating by popularity is pointless IMHO, it's obvious that the big releases will get more votes than something like NEO Scavenger or Xulima. I want to know what people liked the most, not played the most.

And I never claimed my system was waterproof. Ideally, people should only vote once and only on games they played, but there have been trolls giving 1/5 to all games or trying to vote many times in a row. Still, I'm quite confident that the result reflects the views of the Codex.

What will happen to the troll votes? Will they be edited out of the results?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yes, but only the obvious ones, like those who vote 1/5 to every game. I cannot just say that everyone who gave 5/5 to Dragon Age: Inquisition is a troll and delete their vote...

himmy

Arcane
Yes, but only the obvious ones, like those who vote 1/5 to every game. I cannot just say that everyone who gave 5/5 to Dragon Age: Inquisition is a troll and delete their vote...

Well, this thread assumed that anyone even thinking of voting for DA:I is a troll, so completely took out the option, because OP is an idiot.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
Poll still sucks because retard OP takes it upon himself to decide what does and does not qualify as a viable vote, meaning the list is affected Goat's subjective opinion. I still don't see what hack-and-slash non-RPGs like Diablo 3 and Daruku Souru 2 are doing on this list, while non-hack-and-slash ostensible RPG Dragon Age Inquisition is not even an option.

The only objective criterium for being included in the poll is any game marketed as an RPG and released in 2014. Anything else is just some moronic faggot forcing everyone to go along with his biases and bellyfeels. If DAI is indeed a piece of shit (which it is) let it get the lowest score on the list. What's the point of excluding it from poll altogether - afraid it will get a GOTY even on the Codex, revealing the utter hypocrisy of its membership?

Not to mention the utter idiot who said "deleting troll votes". Not only does the OP get to decide which RPGs we are allowed to vote for, but now he (and his circle-jerkers) get to decide which votes count as 'real', and which are 'troll votes'?! Might as well write "MY FAVORITE TITLE GETS RPGOTY BECAUSE I SAID SO".

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think Divinity: Original Sin will win. Which I think sucks, because in my opinion Wasteland 2 deserves to win, and I'd be very content with Dragonfall winning.
Win what? This poll (which it seems to, by a pretty good margin), or the other one, or both?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Man, what a great year this was! There were so many good games, I still haven't even played some of the ones that were released near the end of 2014 (I hope to get around to Grimrock 2, Xulima and Valkyria Chronicles soon-ish).

My personal GotY is far and away Divinity: Original Sin - in fact, it's the best game of the last several years.
Runners-up: Wasteland 2, MMX, Blackguards - and any of these would easily have been GotY in 2012 or 2013.

My non-RPG GotY: Xenonauts.
Runner-up: Endless Legend.

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
Poll still sucks because retard OP takes it upon himself to decide what does and does not qualify as a viable vote, meaning the list is affected Goat's subjective opinion. I still don't see what hack-and-slash non-RPGs like Diablo 3 and Daruku Souru 2 are doing on this list, while non-hack-and-slash ostensible RPG Dragon Age Inquisition is not even an option.

The only objective criterium for being included in the poll is any game marketed as an RPG and released in 2014. Anything else is just some moronic faggot forcing everyone to go along with his biases and bellyfeels. If DAI is indeed a piece of shit (which it is) let it get the lowest score on the list. What's the point of excluding it from poll altogether - afraid it will get a GOTY even on the Codex, revealing the utter hypocrisy of its membership?

Not to mention the utter idiot who said "deleting troll votes". Not only does the OP get to decide which RPGs we are allowed to vote for, but now he (and his circle-jerkers) get to decide which votes count as 'real', and which are 'troll votes'?! Might as well write "MY FAVORITE TITLE GETS RPGOTY BECAUSE I SAID SO".

Nice, very edgy. You will fit in well here.

Whiran

Magister
That's funny, I hadn't even realized that Dragon's Age: Inquisition wasn't listed as an option.

It should be.

The game may be considered terrible by some but there will be some out there who really think it's amazing as well. The game is an RPG... more so than Diablo 3 for sure.[/QUOTE]

Unwanted

Mr Fantastic

Andhaira
Andhaira
The fuck is LISA?

The fuck is Elminage Goth-shit doing on this list?

The fuck is Derpsouls 2 doing on this list?

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
The fuck is LISA?
I'm not sure, but it looks sort of cool.
MkfTmzy.png

Really now, Andhaira? You pick on the dungeon crawler of all games?
:rpgcodex:
The fuck is Derpsouls 2 doing on this list?
It's a sequel to a game that came at place 14 in our top 70 RPGs ever list. I haven't played it but I thought it was fair to make it an nomination.
:M
Well, this thread assumed that anyone even thinking of voting for DA:I is a troll, so completely took out the option, because OP is an idiot.
If you really think it is goty material you can always vote manually. Post "I LIKE DA:I THIS MUCH" in this thread with big bold pink letters and I will count it as a vote for it.

imweasel

Current Top 3:

1. Divinity: Original Sin
2. Wasteland 2
3. Shadowrun: Dragonfall (Director's Cut)

Which is pretty much what I was expecting.

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And it continues with M&MX on 4 and LoG2 on 5. Each of which is better than many winners over the past decade. I don't see much a lot of reasons to complain.

Goth-shit? Really now? That's the best you can do? Come on.
Also, although I don't consider it GotY material, it's about as hardcore a Wizardry-like as you can get, why wouldn't it be on the poll?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom