Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you shouldn't enjoy - but do

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Pool of Radiance : Ruins of Myth Drannor. What can I say ? I love huge dungeons and turn based combat.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Fair enough. I just recall some WH40K nerds finding the prospect of the sisters having sex with anyone horrifying, or something similar.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Except for them right?

My guilty pleasures of gaming

Mass effect 2: What can i say? it's popamole, but it's got a somewhat decent storyline and some interesting characters.

As for jrpgs, a few of the earlier ones(breath of fire, final fantasy 1-6) i have no quams about playing: they are what they are. I'm not so hivemind that i would not admit to liking a game, regardless of what other people might think. Gaming is a hobby, and as much as i'd like to think that I have superior tastes(like movies,comics and books amongst other things) i still use it for entertainment.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Stereotypical Villain said:
I actually liked Prisoner of Ice, and I finished it without updating my LP thread.

This is my shame, now tell me yours.

I am dissapoint
:rpgcodex:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
DefJam101 said:
Turok games
What's wrong with the Turok games (1, 2 and Rage Wars, fuck the rest)? Despite having horrible N64 controls (not counting the PC ports of 1 and 2, that is) and fog that doesn't let you see 5 feet in-front of your face they were pretty solid FPS games.

Also, haters gonna hate. As much as I hate consoles for what they've done to so many PC genres, 5th gen consoles had some good FPS games (again, with horrible controls).

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Probably a bunch. I like WoW and when the expansion comes out I'll buy it and renew my sub for a month or two. I....kind of like Final Fantasy games, FFX I thought was pretty awful but that's mostly because of unskippable cutscenes.

Zomg: I love the Dynasty Warriors games. They're fun. I'm thinking about ordering one for my PS2 again, but I'm not sure which one is the best for PS2 so I'll have to look into that. I had DW4 and I got everyone kitted out.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Ok I just ordered Dynasty Warriors 5 and Samurai Warriors (I had DW4 and I've played 3 so why not). Samurai Warriors was 3 dollars plus shipping, lol. DW5 was 6 dollars plus shipping.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Probably Fable 1. It was pretty empty and hollow, but I still enjoyed it. Fable 2 was better but I couldn't stand it. Odd.

CrimHead

Scholar
Oh yeah, probably Dreamfall too, considering it has virtually no gameplay.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
fizzelopeguss said:
Turok had sweet weapons, cool enemies and quality death animation.
And some very, very nice level design in 1 and 2. Backtracking, lots of open spaces, some good exploration. They were good games. Shame about 3 and Evolution sucking so much.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
CrimHead said:
Oh yeah, probably Dreamfall too, considering it has virtually no gameplay.

Completely forgot about that. It's probably the game where my "I think this is objectively pretty fucking awful" and "I enjoy this!"-ratios are extremely weird.

I like the pokemons. Haters gonna hate, at least it's bullshit-free and doesn't rely on lolmature content. Here are some monsters, go ruin some fag's shit.

I need a goddamn DS. If only they stopped releasing new, better models every week so I could decide.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
I like the pokemons. Haters gonna hate, at least it's bullshit-free and doesn't rely on lolmature content. Here are some monsters, go ruin some fag's shit.

I need a goddamn DS. If only they stopped releasing new, better models every week so I could decide.
Am I the only fucking furry/scaly that absolutely hates them pokey-men?
:x

Apparently, since it was made for deviants too

lopunny.png

edit: while we're on that

http://www.novirginsallowed.com/adultsw ... anime.html

DefJam101

Arcane
Reconite said:
DefJam101 said:
Turok games
What's wrong with the Turok games (1, 2 and Rage Wars, fuck the rest)? Despite having horrible N64 controls (not counting the PC ports of 1 and 2, that is) and fog that doesn't let you see 5 feet in-front of your face they were pretty solid FPS games.
Specifically the stuff you mentioned, but also overuse of flat, open spaces, a very small field of view, and framerate problems. Highly enjoyable games once you get past that stuff, though.

Soundtracks of 1-2 are badass as well

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Clockwork Knight said:

Again, nothing wrong with them.

Anyway, just grab a Lite. The Lite was the standard Nintendo "hee hee, here's a model of this handheld that you can actually see the screen on" edition, everything since has just been bullshit.

Heechee

Liturgist
X-Com 3 Apocalypse, mainly for its retro future design and the single city focus.

Various hack&slash games. Not just Diablos, but also the less known specimens such as Darkstone or Harbinger.

Septerra Core, first and only jrpg I played, never finished, but always returning to it every three or four years because of its world design.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
larpingdude17 said:
Rollercoaster Tycoon

Eh, what's wrong with enjoying that? I have fond memories of dropping customers into a lake when I was a wee one.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lesifoere said:
larpingdude17 said:
Rollercoaster Tycoon

Eh, what's wrong with enjoying that? I have fond memories of dropping customers into a lake when I was a wee one.

Deliberately building rollercoasters that would fly over the rails and kill everyone sitting in the coaster was also lots of fun.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Satori said:

Are they supposed to be clones or something? In the second pick they all sort of look the same.

On topic: Mass Effect 2, Alpha Protocol, Mafia 2. I obviously don't consider them shitty (AP more or less), but I'm posting 'em here considering the codex average impressions regarding these games.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
What turok? Sorry, awesome Unreal soundtrack was drowning you out. :smug:
Hey Turok 2's soundtrack was pretty awesome. Just because Unreal's was awesome too doesn't change that. All in all I'd say Unreal did almost everything a little better than Turok, but Turok had the open-endedness going for it. You could backtrack to ANYWHERE. Which was annoying as fuck if you forgot something... but at least this was back in the days where console shooters had no quest compass or any of that shit. You missed something? too bad, go look back and pay more attention this time. Nothing essential was TOO well-hidden either, it was pretty well-balanced in this regard.

larpingdude17 said:
Anvil of Dawn
Why? It's an excellent dungeon crawler with a good story even. No reason whatsoever why you shouldn't enjoy it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Borderlands. Flaming, or exploding Bloodwing is interesting. Also there is a lot of absurd dialogue, and well fitting stuff. Yes and that romance between that woman, and her PDA...

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Possibly Morrowind. It's certainly not irredeemable, it does a lot of things right, but I like it a lot more than I should - it's probably my favourite game, and I enjoy doing things in it that are manifestly not fun. Just solving fetch quests in it can keep me relatively happy and sedated; I guess everyone has something they can't judge objectively, and Morrowind is definitely mine. It was one of the first real RPGs I ever played, and even before I played it, it introduced me to the world of RPGs, and - perhaps having a more striking effect on me than anything else - the world of modding. I was a naive young child, and just reading through pages and pages of Morrowind Summit, all these fantastic additions people had made - new lands, new creatures, even mundane utility mods, making what sounded like a rich, fantastic experience literally endless and with the promise that I too could join in the fun - my fertile little imagination went wild. Mods, reviews, glancing through walkthroughs and 2003's rough equivalent of LPs (which didn't tend to involve screenshots) all had me giddy with excitement when the (delayed) shipment finally came through the door. It was like nothing I'd ever played or heard of; I loved it, I told my friends, soon they all loved it as well. And hell, they all hated Oblivion to a man and they were pretty bad console kids otherwise, so I must have done something right. I stayed in the Morrowind community a long time, getting deep into the modding world, and altogether spent a hideously embarassing amount of my life on that game.

Anyway, mildly tangential reminiscing aside, yeah. Morrowind was so fucking cool to me as an impressionable 12/13-year-old that, no matter what lame excuses about lore and atmosphere I come up with to defend it, I know it's pretty much just a poor man's Gothic and I still love the shit out of it. It's hard to explain - other games, I know I'm playing through, I know that once I've exhausted all the quests in a town, I'm moving on to the next area. Even Gothic's a bit like that, except with chapters and areas of the island. I recognise that Morrowind's lack of that is probably a flaw more than anything, and given that I felt the same way about Oblivion, it's probably an entirely fabricated distinction... guess the game just feels like home.

Also I kind of liked CoD4. Would have liked it more if every shooter made since (that wasn't a Gears of War clone) hadn't been CoD4.

i feel your shame buddy

i would also spend the weekend browsing uhh... the better bodies forums

then i found alienslof's shit back in the day, i was quite literally "i am 12 what is this". I told my friend that he would go to this link to make the combat better. I think this is around the time I started using 4chan as well

my childhood sure paid off 8)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom