Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you shouldn't enjoy - but do

jazzotron

Liturgist
So tell me of your guilty pleasures. Games that by all rights are shit, and yet you are able to wring some kind of enjoyment out of them for whatever reason.

This is my shame: Gothic 3.

This game is a clusterfuck. Bugged to hell and back, appalling combat, poor translation (English version), terrible optimisation. You will never hear me defending this game from criticism because all criticism is deserved. And yet I have completed repeat play throughs. :oops:

Elements I enjoy:

* huge world with lots to do
* beautiful attention to detail
* quirky humour on the occasion

For all its faults inducing me to rage frequently at my monitor, I still sink hours into this title. What can I say - I'm a sucker for punishment.

So what games do you enjoy that, on paper, you really shouldn't?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Possibly Morrowind. It's certainly not irredeemable, it does a lot of things right, but I like it a lot more than I should - it's probably my favourite game, and I enjoy doing things in it that are manifestly not fun. Just solving fetch quests in it can keep me relatively happy and sedated; I guess everyone has something they can't judge objectively, and Morrowind is definitely mine. It was one of the first real RPGs I ever played, and even before I played it, it introduced me to the world of RPGs, and - perhaps having a more striking effect on me than anything else - the world of modding. I was a naive young child, and just reading through pages and pages of Morrowind Summit, all these fantastic additions people had made - new lands, new creatures, even mundane utility mods, making what sounded like a rich, fantastic experience literally endless and with the promise that I too could join in the fun - my fertile little imagination went wild. Mods, reviews, glancing through walkthroughs and 2003's rough equivalent of LPs (which didn't tend to involve screenshots) all had me giddy with excitement when the (delayed) shipment finally came through the door. It was like nothing I'd ever played or heard of; I loved it, I told my friends, soon they all loved it as well. And hell, they all hated Oblivion to a man and they were pretty bad console kids otherwise, so I must have done something right. I stayed in the Morrowind community a long time, getting deep into the modding world, and altogether spent a hideously embarassing amount of my life on that game.

Anyway, mildly tangential reminiscing aside, yeah. Morrowind was so fucking cool to me as an impressionable 12/13-year-old that, no matter what lame excuses about lore and atmosphere I come up with to defend it, I know it's pretty much just a poor man's Gothic and I still love the shit out of it. It's hard to explain - other games, I know I'm playing through, I know that once I've exhausted all the quests in a town, I'm moving on to the next area. Even Gothic's a bit like that, except with chapters and areas of the island. I recognise that Morrowind's lack of that is probably a flaw more than anything, and given that I felt the same way about Oblivion, it's probably an entirely fabricated distinction... guess the game just feels like home.

Also I kind of liked CoD4. Would have liked it more if every shooter made since (that wasn't a Gears of War clone) hadn't been CoD4.

CrimHead

Scholar
Majora's Mask for the N64 and Earthbound for the SNES. They were two of my favorite games growing up and I just can't seem to stop replaying them every few years, despite having matured beyond them.

deuxhero

Arcane
Final Fantasy 2 (NES). I think it is how badly the game can be broken that appeals to me.

On the flipside, Fallout is of a type of game I normally enjoy, but the interface is complete shit and makes it unplayable for me.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO COULD YOU BE ANY MORE OF A CONSOLETARD YOU ARENT SUPPOSED TO LIKE ANY OF THE GAMES LOLLOLOL FAGFACE BRO GO PLAY HALO REACHAROUND

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
LOLLOL BRO GO BACKJ TO GAMEFAGS YOU ARENT ALOWWED TO LIKE MAMNY GAMES

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
MINE IS MASTRUBATING THE BIBLE SAYS IT IS WRONG BUT IT FEELS SO RIGHT

Multi-headed Cow

Games I shouldn't enjoy but do according to Codex standards would probably be Oblivion and Fallout 3 for the big ones.

Games I shouldn't enjoy but do to my own standards, MMOs. And it's a weird love/hate relationship because as I'm playing them I keep thinking "God this is boring as shit, I could be playing other games and having a better time" and yet I keep playing the damn things. I played Soul Calibur on a Dreamcast while I was doing Dark Age of Camelot for fuck's sake. Fortunately I've been kicking the habit, and these current free to play MMOs help me keep off the smack. I can take a hit of LotRO for half an hour and remind myself how much I dislike them and then I don't start snorting lines of WoW off a nerd's fat pimply ass.

Edit: And even reading that, I never mentioned enjoying it. And mostly that's true. Even in my longest running MMO (WoW) moments of enjoyment were few and far between, and mostly involved playing with buddies which I could do in other games. Well, could do in other games if the buddies weren't already in the clutches of MMOs and actually played other games.

jazzotron

Liturgist
Felix said:
Games you shouldn't enjoy

Wat? What's wrong with enjoy something?

I guess I didn't express it clearly, but Multi-headed Cow clarifies:

Multi-headed Cow said:
Games I shouldn't enjoy but do according to Codex standards

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Morrowind

Thats another of mine - I think I've sunk 100's of hours into that one, traipsing about, exploring every m^2. I had way too much time on my hands back in the day.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Final Fantasy VII maybe. Pirated it when it came out for PC, and liked it.

Also, I fap furiously to the Baldur's Gates, which I think are some of the best games ever made.

Also, I don't think Bioware is a horrible company :oops:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Multi-headed Cow said:
I can take a hit of LotRO for half an hour and remind myself how much I dislike them and then I don't start snorting lines of WoW off a nerd's fat pimply ass.

LOTRO is enough to cure anybody of MMO itch. That shit is horrible and tedious, it's almost as bad as going back in time to play EverQuest.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Fuck your retarded concept of guilty pleasures.

Oh God, I shouldn't enjoy it, I'm gonna lose cred, nooooooooooooooooo

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Darth Roxor said:

Not so much that (for me at least, since I've always admitted it). It's more about myself; when I play FFVII for instance, it's hard for me to explain why I enjoy it, and I can find 50 things about it I hate.

Therefore = guilty pleasure.

No matter what, I think a little peering into the self-realization pool would be good for the Codex ;)

Topher

Cipher
entertainer said:
this is one retarded thread

Probably.

I enjoyed Morrowind immensely and I also really enjoy Bioware games the only exceptions being NWN and Dragon Age.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
CrimHead said:
Majora's Mask for the N64 and Earthbound for the SNES. They were two of my favorite games growing up and I just can't seem to stop replaying them every few years, despite having matured beyond them.
Majora's Mask is a brilliant game with only a handful of childish trappings. You don't mature beyond that kind of shit any more than you mature beyond Grimm's-style fairytales.

It's not a guilty pleasure if the Codex thinks it's bad and you genuinely think it's good, it's a guilty pleasure if you know it's shit but you get an unexplainable enjoyment out of it in a way anyway.

CrimHead

Scholar
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Majora's Mask is a brilliant game with only a handful of childish trappings. You don't mature beyond that kind of shit any more than you mature beyond Grimm's-style fairytales.

Woman.

Yeah, I guess you're right. It just seemed like I needed to include it because of the general consensus around here that console games= auto-faggotry.

My opinion is that while there is certainly a larger percentage of good games on PC compared to good games on consoles (I don't think anyone here would dispute that), I still think consoles can produce some pretty amazing stuff.

Project: Eternity
Clive Barker's Clive Barker's Jericho, by Clive Barker. It's just fun SHOOTAN TEH MONSTARS using any of the ridiculous characters in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom