Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that you had a lot of fun with but are obscure?

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
abnaxus said:
summoner-1166.jpg

One of my favorite games. Still have to try Summoner 2 to see how bad it became.

Zomg

Arbiter
Drugwars

Edit - then I looked it up on wiki and they made a Zynga game out of it. My obscure BBS download from 1990 is being whored. What's next they will make some kind of worm-themed Scorched Earth??

sser

Arcane
Developer
Powerplay Tennis for the DS. Best tennis game out there.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Rorke%27s_Drift_-_1990_-_Impressions_Games.jpg

Rorke's Drift. Wasn't very well known even back in 1990 but man if I didn't have a blast with it, shooting Zulu's in the face for hours and hours. Of course, I thought I was a master tactician for pretty easily winning but it turns out that the Zulu AI was clinically retarded. At least it worked, most of the time, which is more than can be said for the AI in Charge of the Light Brigade. Oh Impressions, you made some ambitious games that never worked...

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Shouldn't the AI in Charge of the Light Brigade be retarded?
:lol: :salute:

Unfortunately, it just didn't work. IF you played Allies, the Russians would just simply stand there. Not much fun. At least in Rorke's Drift the Zulus attacked, even if they were total morons about it.

Phelot

Arcane
:lol: I'm not going to say this is good, but it is pretty obscure. I remember playing a demo of it:

beatdown_screen003.jpg

BEATDOWN! Where you control your own virtual Afro-American gang full of homies.

beatdown_screen004.jpg

196745_pc.jpg

I don't remember there being no white peoples in dis game!?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Wow. I remember that and the other one... Hooligans, I think.

Phelot

Arcane
I would LOVE to do an LP of it (and then abandon it) but I can't find it anywhere on the net.

Phelot

Arcane
Good suggestion, but it doesn't look like they have it. They've requested it!

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Second Sight might count. I really liked the game when I was younger, not sure how well it'd hold up now, and I have to have some grievance against it because it was one of the forerunners of the popamole. However, the psychic powers are ridiculously fun to use - chucking hapless Russians at each other and off rooftops with telekinesis never gets old - and the story is pretty great. Fun little game overall that was unfortunate enough to come out at the same time as Psi-Ops: The Mindgay Conspiracy and get entirely ignored as a result.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
mangsy said:
lightbane said:
The Little Big Adventure series of course. Screw Link, Twinsen is much better than any of his incarnations.

Yeah, this too, of course. LBA 1 was one of my first DOS games (my first computer games were actually all Mac). So much nostalgia for these games... Definitely among my favorite adventures. Amazing music, art, personality, etc.

@ Zed: Yeah man, it's really obscure. I've only met two people IRL who've played it.

Now that you mention it....
It's also the only game I know of where you can kill yourself by running into a wall :M

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
udm said:
It's also the only game I know of where you can kill yourself by running into a wall :M

I know of two others.

In Legend of Faerghail, bumping into walls costs you health to the point that you can kill a 6-man party by trying to show a wall who's boss.

In Thief 1, the "bunny hop" accelerates Garrett with each jump, and about the 7th or 8th consecutive jump he will have achieved terminal velocity - dead on contact.

DraQ

Arcane
Unkillable Cat said:
udm said:

I know of two others.

In Legend of Faerghail, bumping into walls costs you health to the point that you can kill a 6-man party by trying to show a wall who's boss.

In Thief 1, the "bunny hop" accelerates Garrett with each jump, and about the 7th or 8th consecutive jump he will have achieved terminal velocity - dead on contact.
In System Shock 2 running and jumping into walls at max agility could bruise you pretty badly.

Wolfus said:
Another very hard game was (is!) Project Firestart:
Project_Firestart.png
How is THE seminal survival horror game 'obscure'?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Trash said:
Dunno. It got some pretty rad reviews back in the day but quickly sank into obscurity. I think that perhaps it was too hardcore in some aspects.

It had meaty system reqs as well, one of those games that was pushing the newly released geforce 3.

There was a semi sequel released, and black cactus were working on an rts set in the crusades before they went tits up.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Unkillable Cat said:

Good find, I didn't know about that. Gotta try that someday when I reinstall Thief.

zool

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
Rorke%27s_Drift_-_1990_-_Impressions_Games.jpg

Rorke's Drift. Wasn't very well known even back in 1990 but man if I didn't have a blast with it, shooting Zulu's in the face for hours and hours. Of course, I thought I was a master tactician for pretty easily winning but it turns out that the Zulu AI was clinically retarded. At least it worked, most of the time, which is more than can be said for the AI in Charge of the Light Brigade. Oh Impressions, you made some ambitious games that never worked...

You might be interested in Jeff Lapkof's upcoming The Drift 1879 game then.

the_drift_01.jpg

rd_options.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Unkillable Cat said:

The same can be done in Painkiller.

Also, Phelot's post reminded me of one game called Gender Wars.

gender-wars-action.png

Squad-based isometric tactical shooter, where you take one of the two sides - womyn or manly men - to eradicate the other one :thumbsup:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fuck yes, Gender Wars! I seriously LOVED it. Nothing like exterminatin' all those dirty chauvinistic males. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom