Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that you had a lot of fun with but are obscure?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I remember warrior kings.
pretty easy, but fun to march some cannons and blow up shit.

Deleted Member 10432

Lunar Command / Moonbase. Great llittle game and surprisingly addictive.

racofer said:
Peggle for the incontinent?

Trash said:
Septerra Core was a fun jrpg that somehow seemed to be missed by everyone. By no means an awesome game but much better than I expected.

Aaaaah, I played this one. Actually, sometimes it gets mentioned in these "obscure PC games" threads. The magazine advertised it as being "for fans of FF7" :) . But unlike in FF, there were plenty of hard battles. I remember having to sneak by wolf packs in the "tutorial" area, because sometimes a stronger wolf would show up in combat and fuck my shit up. I also don't remember any retarded or WACKEE characters, everyone acted like normal people. It was also cool how two characters could steal from shopkeepers, but if you were caught they get pissed off, change their dialogue and charge you more.

It was fun and the graphics were p. cool, but still very much a jrpg, so pretty railroaded (to the point of not being able to choose party formations to take on the final bosses). I think you could sometimes advance into areas supposed to be for a higher level party, though.

septcore004_640w.jpg

1242153875151.jpg

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Besieger. AI not very good, but a pleasant enough RTS with a focus on attacking and defending fortifications. Your mileage may vary of course, but I enjoyed it.

besieger_02.jpg

besieger_03.jpg

besieger%5B2%5D.jpg

mangsy

Educated
SCO said:
That encarta puzzle game.

What?

Haha, dude, I remember this shit. Definitely spent some hours playing this as a kid. :salute:

Reminds me of other random educational games I used to play:

piccolo.jpg

NXBG5631NXNXBG5631NX.jpg

(Ancient Lands isn't really a game, I guess.)

And of course mainstream titles from MECC (e.g., Amazon Trail), The Learning Company (e.g., Gizmos and Gadgets), etc.

My favorite obscure game is probably Gahan Wilson's Ultimate Haunted House:

SVDB7248SVSVDB7248SV.jpg

Puzzles were good, art was unique, and the game had a great sense of humor (but still managed to be kind of creepy at times, at least when I was young). So many good memories.

Plenty of other games come to mind as well, esp. point and click adventures, like Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster (not sure if this is considered obscure, but I never hear anyone talk about it). Also lots of old shareware RPGs (some, like Exile, ended up becoming relatively popular; others faded into obscurity, like The Odyssey) and adventures/puzzle games.

mangsy

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:
Trash said:
Septerra Core was a fun jrpg that somehow seemed to be missed by everyone. By no means an awesome game but much better than I expected.

Aaaaah, I played this one. Actually, sometimes it gets mentioned in these "obscure PC games" threads. The magazine advertised it as being "for fans of FF7" :) . But unlike in FF, there were plenty of hard battles. I remember having to sneak by wolf packs in the "tutorial" area, because sometimes a stronger wolf would show up in combat and fuck my shit up. I also don't remember any retarded or WACKEE characters, everyone acted like normal people. It was also cool how two characters could steal from shopkeepers, but if you were caught they get pissed off, change their dialogue and charge you more.

It was fun and the graphics were p. cool, but still very much a jrpg, so pretty railroaded (to the point of not being able to choose party formations to take on the final bosses). I think you could sometimes advance into areas supposed to be for a higher level party, though.

Yeah, I still own my copy of Septerra Core. It was kind of fun. And you're right, it was fucking hard sometimes. I got bored with it the two times I tried to play through it though. Would always get about 3/4 of the way through then move on to something else.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
mangsy said:
I remember playing a game with a similar CD cover when I was a kid.
Did this game have that Monster Mash song in it?

mangsy

Educated
Yep! When you assembled all of Frankenstein's parts and brought him to life, he would dance to Monster Mash. So good. :lol:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
JaySn said:
Hunter Hunted, created by a special (and short lived) division of Sierra.

Fuck yes. Excellent game :thumbsup:

As for on topic stuff, probably all of the games I have in my signature count:

First is Horde:

Manage your village and repel incoming enemy hordlings that want to eat it. Sounds simple? No, it doesn't!

UO0050.jpg

It also has the best LARP cut-scenes ever.

UO0232.jpg

Then there's W40k: Rites of War, a Panzer General clone, but in W40k. What else could a man want from life?

row1060.jpg

After that we have Rage of Mages 2, an incredibly clusterfucky and rage-inducing party-based real time hack'n'slash. It also has the best mage outfits in gaming history:

rom2633.jpg

rom1691.jpg

And last is GROM, another party-based real time rpg that has unmatched clusterfucks when it comes to combat. Still, you are a potato ex-commando fighting Nazis in Tibet. What else would you want? Which reminds me, I should update the LP.

grom0785.jpg

Not to mention the incredibly awesome barter minigame:

grom0298.jpg

And, of course, one cannot forget The Shivah. Play the role of the most extreme rabbi to be found in Manhattan.

Shivah1127.jpg

zool

Arcane
Prisoner of War. I used to love this game when I was a kid, although I never managed to finish it. Tried to replay it recently and I must admit it's a pretty bad port of a console game. Graphics have aged too but are still passable. Still, I was really drawn into it - how I'd love to regain that ability not to see everything with a trained critical eye. It was pretty fun to go out at night and explore the camp while making sure you would be back for the roll call at dawn.

POW1.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
mangsy said:
Yep! When you assembled all of Frankenstein's parts and brought him to life, he would dance to Monster Mash. So good. :lol:
That's one of my earliest memories from playing computer games. :manlytear:
I didn't remember what the game was called, and I couldn't find shit when I was googling for it.

Thanks bro. :salute:

lightbane

Arcane
The Little Big Adventure series of course. Screw Link, Twinsen is much better than any of his incarnations.

mangsy

Educated
lightbane said:
The Little Big Adventure series of course. Screw Link, Twinsen is much better than any of his incarnations.

Yeah, this too, of course. LBA 1 was one of my first DOS games (my first computer games were actually all Mac). So much nostalgia for these games... Definitely among my favorite adventures. Amazing music, art, personality, etc.

@ Zed: Yeah man, it's really obscure. I've only met two people IRL who've played it.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Clockwork Knight said:
Trash said:

septcore004_640w.jpg

1242153875151.jpg
I don't know why but it makes me think of crabs.

Wolfus

Arcane
This is Tir Na Nog for C64 I used to play as kid. Never finished it, of course.
tir_na_nog_02.gif

Another very hard game was (is!) Project Firestart:
Project_Firestart.png

God, I have to finish those games!

Phelot

Arcane
I've mentioned it before, but Pathways into Darkness is pretty obscure I guess. Good luck playing it without an old ass Mac, though.

Pathways_into_darkness-screenshot.png

mangsy

Educated
Oh man, Pathways Into Darkness! That was the first game I played on CD (came with the external CD drive I ordered for my LC II). Scared the shit out of me!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom