Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that you had a lot of fun with but are obscure?

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
Just remembered another one. Evil Islands http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrI4XrqpMwE

a russian stealth rpg/strategy game that was a sequel to Allods games (never played them but curious). This was insanely hard game and I dont remember ever managing to beat it but it was fairly good.

Another good russian game was Paradise Cracked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPlzEm9 ... re=related

Turn based combat tactical rpg. It had pretty good soundtrack and I enjoyed combat.

Severance:Blade Of Darkness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhmUB2e1-JM

Awesome slasher with lots of gore acompanied by 4 different characters each with their own fighting styles. Was pretty hard at points.

Die By The Sword is another slasher with one of the best combat system in any game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvfcrmOC ... re=related

Revenant an old rpg hack em up with pretty unique combat system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU2TCIf1k0U

ChristofferC

Magister
I like Silver and Tropico too but I didn't know they were obscure.

I had a lot of fun with the Svea Rike games by Paradox Interactive.

JaySn

Educated
See guys. Told you those demo disks would come in handy.

But you didn't believe me! Well, whose prancing now?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I like those old-adventure games, so recently I dug reaaaaaally deep to find a copy of WRATH OF THE GODS! It plays very much like the old King Quest series, but I dare to say it's better (there are few fedex quests).

rlm8ly.png
157j141.png

The puzzles are chalenging, fun and it recreates the greek mythology like no other game I ever seen. It has those filmed actors like Phantasmagoria, but the art direction is way better, you don't get (much) of those horrible 3D renders that look like shit.

Urban Chaos is awesome, I remeber I upgraded my graphics card just for this game! But the controls were a little shitty...

Marobug

baronjohn said:
Pathologic, The Void, Cargo, Outcast, Perimeter, Precursors, Earth 2150, Earth 2160. Imperium Galactica, Abuse, Penumbra Overture, Tremulous, suteF, Star Ruler

Star ruler is a awful, unpolished turd. I won't even comment on how it was at release.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
mugarod said:
Die By The Sword is another slasher with one of the best combat system in any game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvfcrmOC ... re=related

Good pick. I still go back to it from time to time. Multiplayer DM is a blast.

Rocket Jockey, as mentioned by someone earlier, is also a lot of fun, and has aged quite gracefully too.

Darkwind is another obscure game that I still play on occasion, although depending on whether I have the time for it. Despite being an MMOG of sorts, it's still worth subscribing to, if only because its gameplay represents :incline:

Renegen

Arcane
felipepepe said:
I like those old-adventure games, so recently I dug reaaaaaally deep to find a copy of WRATH OF THE GODS! It plays very much like the old King Quest series, but I dare to say it's better (there are few fedex quests).

rlm8ly.png
157j141.png

The puzzles are chalenging, fun and it recreates the greek mythology like no other game I ever seen. It has those filmed actors like Phantasmagoria, but the art direction is way better, you don't get (much) of those horrible 3D renders that look like shit.

Urban Chaos is awesome, I remeber I upgraded my graphics card just for this game! But the controls were a little shitty...

That brings me back so much. This whole thread does. I played the demo to Wrath of the Gods (didn't remember its name) on some obscure demo disk 15 years ago. I would just play through every single demo on the CD, no matter how bad it was, no matter if I had never heard of it. That was my only exposure to new games. Made some of my best purchases that way...

I always thought it sucked, because of the FMV style. I guess I can give the game a try, if I find it. I also played the Hunter Hunted demo, I thought it sucked really hard.

Hmm, obscure games I played, on a hardcore website to begin with? Only 2 games come to mind that may be unknown to you.

The first is a adventure game, Moment of Silence. It's a great story set in the near future. What makes the game very special is that it uses the gameplay to set the mood and tell the story. Many adventure games have very sterile gameplay, let's face it, but so does this world. It works really well to draw you in. Therefore, it's one of the very few games that don't feel like games, but an experience.

The second is an RTS called Armies of Exigo. It has Warcraft 3 graphics, and it borrows heavily from Blizzard RTS, but it's done in a great way and is better than them. Sort of a homage.

And here's a bonus third one: Armageddon Empires. it's a recent indie TB strategy game that plays a lot like a boardgame. It's set in a post-apocalyptic world. Great graphics, fun gameplay. You probably heard of it, but I never saw it discussed here.

edit: This thread was made for 1 game and 1 game only. I can't believe I forgot about it. That's probably because I play it to this day and it's in my top 10 games ever. Trade Empires. What an incredibly impressive game. It was made by the same people who did Imperialism, so you know it's good. Its closest cousin is Transport Tycoon and Railroad Tycoon. You play as a merchant company - across human history. Every interesting period of human history is there. The game is heavily influenced by history and it shows. Want to build a merchant empire in Mesopotamia, High Middle Ages, Age of Exploration, Industrial Revolution? You can. It actually improved on the Transport Tycoon formula a lot by making the game more dynamic, but alas, it wasn't popular.

waywardOne

Arcane
Legacy of the Ancients. Introduced me to an awesome mini-game I still enjoy playing IRL with dice.

zool

Arcane
Quilty said:
In my case it's the first Tropico. I'm not sure how many of you played it, but something about that game just draws me to it. I replay it every year and usually in long-ass marathon sittings.

Same here, but I'm not sure it fits into the "obscure" section - the game is pretty well-known.

catfood

AGAIN
mugarod said:
For me personally it had to be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzar:_The_ ... _the_Crown I remember having a lot of fun playing skirmish in demo and in full game as well. The game itself is like an age of empires with an rpg system tacked on but for some reason I spent more time playing it then any other strategy out there.

Another one of my favorites is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spellforce series. I enjoyed all expansions and sequels though I don't believe the game is popular enough to make any more sequels.

Well is there any games out there that some of you enjoyed but most prolly never heard off?

In before people start mentiong Planescape:torment, Ultima's, wizardy's and such and decline of new generation.

Do the Spellforce expansions bring any sort of UI/interface improvements? I remember playing the original when it first came out. It was a pretty fun game. Kinda grindy, but the character development and customization gave it wings. However the interface pissed me off. No aggression levels a la AOE 2, or commands such as patrol, stop, attack ground and the like from Starcraft. Commanding troops was a pain in the ass.

Also, since we're talking about RTS hybrids, Urban Assault is a very underrated RTS/FPS combination. Nowhere near as good as Battlezone but still worth checking out. You can download it from the link I posted together with two unnoficial add-on packs.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Septerra Core was a fun jrpg that somehow seemed to be missed by everyone. By no means an awesome game but much better than I expected.

40547_full.jpg

Star Wolves got a little bit of exposition here but seemed to be missed by almost everybody else. Homeworld with rpg stats, traits and little starfighters. The first game is pretty good, second a disaster and I never tried the third. Heard some promising things though.

star-wolves.jpg

However I'm pretty sure the third is the charm. Warrior Kings by Microids. Something like a fantasy version of the Total War games with quite a few paths to take that either favour magic, technology or religion or some combination. Good and evil paths included as well. All in all it was a pretty fun game back in the day, It had a sequel which I never played but which is rumored to be a bit more streamlined.

20080430180829.jpg

mugarod

Liturgist
catfood said:
mugarod said:
For me personally it had to be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzar:_The_ ... _the_Crown I remember having a lot of fun playing skirmish in demo and in full game as well. The game itself is like an age of empires with an rpg system tacked on but for some reason I spent more time playing it then any other strategy out there.

Another one of my favorites is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spellforce series. I enjoyed all expansions and sequels though I don't believe the game is popular enough to make any more sequels.

Well is there any games out there that some of you enjoyed but most prolly never heard off?

In before people start mentiong Planescape:torment, Ultima's, wizardy's and such and decline of new generation.

Do the Spellforce expansions bring any sort of UI/interface improvements? I remember playing the original when it first came out. It was a pretty fun game. Kinda grindy, but the character development and customization gave it wings. However the interface pissed me off. No aggression levels a la AOE 2, or commands such as patrol, stop, attack ground and the like from Starcraft. Commanding troops was a pain in the ass.

Also, since we're talking about RTS hybrids, Urban Assault is a very underrated RTS/FPS combination. Nowhere near as good as Battlezone but still worth checking out. You can download it from the link I posted together with two unnoficial add-on packs.

I dont remember there being any improvements in ui or interface, I think expansions mostly added a new storyline a new tech tree(not sure), more units and phat lewt. 2nd expansion had a huge city to explore and even reminded me of an actual rpg, but yeah it was mostly grind for loot but I enjoyed it more then any hack and slash games.

Septerra Core was another good one, very grindy though but I would not mind playing it again and try to actually finish it now.

Space Wolves I got through steam and it was indeed a great HW alike. Tempted to try out sequels but I also read a lot of negative things about them so it might be a good idea not to ruin good impressions of the first by its sequels.

JaySn

Educated
catfood said:
I was thinking of doing an Imperialism 2 LP actually.

No, catfood. You've started writing one . . .

What about SSI's War Wind?

mugarod

Liturgist
Did anyone play Heroes of Annihilated Empires?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoh9yzOs ... re=related

from Stalker creators I understand its like spellforce but I never tried it out. How good is this one?

Also GSC made quite a few good strategy games that were not as well known outside ukraine/russia

like Cossac series and American Conquest series.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Traffic Department 2192

Gene Wars

Jetpack

Pizza Tycoon

Forgotten Worlds, Growl and Fighting Masters for the Genesis.

Knights of the Round

Floor 13

Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain

Imperium Galactica I & II

Zombie Smashers X2

Warning Forever

Wacky Wheels

Big Red Racing

Twinkle Star Sprites

Usurper and LORD especially if the place installed fucking weird modules :salute:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hardwar. They called it an action flight simulator back then, but today it would probably be called a hardcore old-school trading sim with RPG elements.

Much better trading game than Freelancer (since prices actually changed, and you could buy a base and have several ships), and a better story than X2,3 and X3TC because it actually has an end. Plus brilliant music which came in good old CDDA on the discs.

spekkio

Arcane
commie said:
So many turds games mentioned but not Terra Nova Strike Force Centauri?
It'a a LGS game, so it's not obscure.

It's like talking about "obscure" Michelangelo's works.

:smug:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Many games mentioned here are only obscure compared to right now, they were not so obscure when they were released.

I remember Silver. I remember playing it until I got to the first boss and just giving up due to boredom.

I have Septerra Core sitting on my shelf. I didn't play it for long back when I last tried to play it.

I also have Silent Storm: Gold Edition sitting on my shelf. I got it for a song back in 2005 and I've NEVER installed it or tried to play it.

Lands of Lore 2 was never obscure, it was a sequel to a well-known title by a well known developer and an even bigger publisher.

Big Red Racing was underrated for certain, but I'm not so sure about obscure.

Wacky Wheels was well known upon release and for many years after that, but mostly for being a carbon copy of another well known racing game on the SNES...

TD 2192 was definetely obscure. It wasn't a mainstream title, just a little shareware title released around the time when Doom came and Changed Everything. The story is surprisingly good, much better than you'd expect from a game like this.

My contribution to "obscure" game I enjoyed, is a game that I didn't get to play until about 5 years after its release - Dr. Drago's Madcap Chase. Think Wacky Racers (the cartoon show) meets Monopoly, with up to 8 players racing across Europe. There are LOADS of little things to discover in this game, and will sorely tax your relationships with your friends if you play it too much. Its biggest problem is that it barely runs under Windows XP and later OS's, though I haven't exactly tried getting it to run recently. And yes, I own an original copy of this game as well.

Another game that remained obscure for many years after its release was DROD - Deadly Rooms of Death. It was originally released back in 1995, but I never heard about it until 2003, and didn't play it myself until 2005 when the sequel was released. By then it had gathered a small but noticable following. It remains one of the hardest puzzle games I've ever played, and I feel good about having completed it... and the sequel... and the sequel to the sequel, though that one is outright piss-easy compared to the original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom