Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fuck this shit, I'll be BIOWARE EVIL in the end anyway (DA2)

Who to play?

• Male

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Female

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranny <kingcomrade>

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Konjad.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Konjad said:
Bloody fools and ignorants. But yeah, keep being so close-minded little angry cunts. Unlike you I can appreciate something and even enjoy it. I like Dragon Age 2 and I will probably like other games that are going to be released this year - TW2, Risen 2, DE3 and others... I will spend my time with pleasure playing them while you will be raging about minor things on the forum like an insecure teenagers who are bullied IRL or can't cope with their problems so they rage on internet forums about trivial things.
They have very specific expectations. They are, like the battered girlfriend, not looking for something new or better necessarily; rather, they want something that resembles their emotionally distant father. They won't admit this. But it's pretty much the case. They don't want a new game. They want Fallout. Or Planescape: Torment. Or Baldur's Gate 2. Even though they already have that. Even though they've had that for years now. You would think that eventually, after a decade of playing BG2, one would have their fill of it, but no. Not PC gamers. They are endlessly hungry for the experience they already had, which they no longer wish to repeat, but want recreated in a new game that is not too new -- because whatever else it is, it must still be their emotionally distant, possibly abusive father.

They are bitter, jaded, dreamers. Every PC game that is announced has the potential to be The One. The great game that will give them that same experience they had the first time they played Torment. And it could do that, if it only possesses these specific features. The ones on their private checklist that will make it more like their daddy who left home when they were children. And then every detail that is released about that new game proves that it is not their daddy, and they are angry -- betrayed. It's as if a person went to an art gallery, browsed the paintings an artist was showing, and became insensed that there were no portraits of Fluffy, the cat they owned when they were nine. Then berates the artist for failing to produce what they wanted. Apparently not understanding a) Nobody else knows what the hell Fluffy was like and b) If they had wanted such a painting, they would have to commission it in advance. You will not find such a painting being spontaneously offered for purchase.

Mary Kirby's blog is my latest favorite blog. 'Squee.

Cynic

Arcane
Okay, now I'm seriously, I think this game is fucking rubbish.

I will admit it, I liked DA:O, and I even liked Awakening. The combat in the expansion was rubbish but I was a storyfag for it because I liked the idea of the darkspawn gaining thought and the Architect was a pretty cool antagonist because he was kind of ambiguous.

But this, this fucking abomination hurts my brain. I will admit more, I had the special edition thing pre ordered. When the demo hit and the reviews came out, I thought fuck I better pirate this shit before I waste my cash.

I pirated it, and I cancelled the order right away.

I actually have no interest, whatsoever in playing this game. I'm not going to write some huge essay on what's wrong with it, I'll just say that it is a thrown together, subpar, watered down, action wannabe pile of shit.

Nothing fits together, it's like someone puked in the middle of the code and they thought it looked better that way.

In short, Origins managed to pull me in, Rise to golden shower just pushes me away. If this is "evolution" then fuck you Darwin. It's back to Tactics Ogre, which fucking smashes this, not even worth pirating pile of shit to little pieces.

Fucking lol at this game

:x

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Konjad said:
Unlike you I can appreciate something and even enjoy it.

Unlike you were are not so desperate to appreciate something that we need to force ourself to enjoy some turd. :smug:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Konjad said:
Okay, okay, I'll stop now :(

Too late, you have been waylaid and must defend yourself.

59442677.gif
59442677.gif
59442677.gif
59442677.gif
59442677.gif

End of line

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Konjad said:
Bloody fools and ignorants. But yeah, keep being so close-minded little angry cunts. Unlike you I can appreciate something and even enjoy it. I like Dragon Age 2 and I will probably like other games that are going to be released this year - TW2, Risen 2, DE3 and others... I will spend my time with pleasure playing them while you will be raging about minor things on the forum like an insecure teenagers who are bullied IRL or can't cope with their problems so they rage on internet forums about trivial things.

I actually agree somewhat that there is so much ridiculous rage here that often makes no sense. I mean shit, some here rage at EVERY SINGLE GAME that exists, apart from some 'classics' they hold on to and which also may have flaws but oh no they cannot be criticised because they are from another time etc. Worst is the lack of consistency: DA2 is raged at for being streamlined, yet we have many who love ME2 for taking out what little RPG elements there were left from the first one! Wouldn't it actually make more sense to rage at ME2 for not enhancing the RPG experience?

What the fuck do they want? If someone dares to suggest they liked a game for what it is(smug.gif), all of a sudden a dozen fanatics come out of the woodwork to deride the person, even if said person has proved to have been consistent in appreciation of quality games agreed on by the bulk here in the past. Why is it a crime to try and make the best of what you can and find enjoyment in the games that are available now? We don't have a PS:T or Fallout, nor a Might and Magic or Wizardry to chose from now, so why deny the attempt to try and make do with what you have?

(Though DA2 does seem to suck in an Arcania way, although I will play it more to see for myself.....you'd have a lot more mileage with me if you liked Two Worlds. ;) )

Dele

Liturgist
commie said:
Konjad said:

I actually agree somewhat that there is so much ridiculous rage here that often makes no sense. I mean shit, some here rage at EVERY SINGLE GAME that exists, apart from some 'classics' they hold on to and which also may have flaws but oh no they cannot be criticised because they are from another time etc. Worst is the lack of consistency: DA2 is raged at for being streamlined, yet we have many who love ME2 for taking out what little RPG elements there were left from the first one! Wouldn't it actually make more sense to rage at ME2 for not enhancing the RPG experience?

What the fuck do they want? If someone dares to suggest they liked a game for what it is(smug.gif), all of a sudden a dozen fanatics come out of the woodwork to deride the person, even if said person has proved to have been consistent in appreciation of quality games agreed on by the bulk here in the past. Why is it a crime to try and make the best of what you can and find enjoyment in the games that are available now? We don't have a PS:T or Fallout, nor a Might and Magic or Wizardry to chose from now, so why deny the attempt to try and make do with what you have?

(Though DA2 does seem to suck in an Arcania way, although I will play it more to see for myself.....you'd have a lot more mileage with me if you liked Two Worlds. ;) )

ME was never good because of the rpg elements it had, 'twas because of the interesting setting and some well-explained lore, removing the fluff rpg elements didn't detract anything from the game(in most areas).

on the other hand DA:O was interesting only because of the rpg elements and combat(there was just way too much combat in some areas).

thats my take on it

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Roguey said:

:salute:

I'm actually on a pilgrimage since I discovered Underground Gamer in 2009 to download every single old game that ever existed(and new ones from elsewhere) in a chimeric dream to find something that will give be back that feeling that I had when playing the old immortal games for the first time, that sense of anticipation and awe, that genuine excitement....I know it's a fools errand but I cannot stop.

On the other hand, knowing that those times will never happen I've come to the realisation that you can either rage impotently for the rest of your life, or try and find stuff to like in new games, all the while accepting that they'll never subjectively or objectively be as good as what you've loved in the past.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
commie said:
I actually agree somewhat that there is so much ridiculous rage here that often makes no sense.

And how will you explain shitstorm among mainstream gamers, mr. smartass? :smug:

Why is it a crime to try and make the best of what you can and find enjoyment in the games that are available now? We don't have a PS:T or Fallout, nor a Might and Magic or Wizardry to chose from now, so why deny the attempt to try and make do with what you have?

The problem here is that some of us don't actually expirience any shortage of sufficiently entertaining games, so we don't need to eat shit and pretend it's entertaining. I played Dragon Knight Saga, Space Quest 1 and Killzone 3 before DA2 and enjoyed all of them, Killzone 3 and SQ1 in "good for what it is" way and DKS turned out to be a really great game. Pretty symbolic trio, an oldie, popamole console game and modern RPG turned out to be good. So "i am making do with what i have" alright and don't need to squeeze enjoyment out of turds.

or try and find stuff to like in new games
The proper way to do it is to go through new games until you find ones that actually has some good stuff in them, not grabbing some new shitty game and forcing yourself to enjoy it because "there is nothing better" like you and Konjad propose.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Roguey said:
Konjad said:
They have very specific expectations. They are, like the battered girlfriend, not looking for something new or better necessarily; rather, they want something that resembles their emotionally distant father. They won't admit this. But it's pretty much the case. They don't want a new game. They want Fallout. Or Planescape: Torment. Or Baldur's Gate 2. Even though they already have that. Even though they've had that for years now. You would think that eventually, after a decade of playing BG2, one would have their fill of it, but no. Not PC gamers. They are endlessly hungry for the experience they already had, which they no longer wish to repeat, but want recreated in a new game that is not too new -- because whatever else it is, it must still be their emotionally distant, possibly abusive father.

They are bitter, jaded, dreamers. Every PC game that is announced has the potential to be The One. The great game that will give them that same experience they had the first time they played Torment. And it could do that, if it only possesses these specific features. The ones on their private checklist that will make it more like their daddy who left home when they were children. And then every detail that is released about that new game proves that it is not their daddy, and they are angry -- betrayed. It's as if a person went to an art gallery, browsed the paintings an artist was showing, and became insensed that there were no portraits of Fluffy, the cat they owned when they were nine. Then berates the artist for failing to produce what they wanted. Apparently not understanding a) Nobody else knows what the hell Fluffy was like and b) If they had wanted such a painting, they would have to commission it in advance. You will not find such a painting being spontaneously offered for purchase.

:x

Coyote

Arcane
commie said:
I actually agree somewhat that there is so much ridiculous rage here that often makes no sense. I mean shit, some here rage at EVERY SINGLE GAME that exists

True.

apart from some 'classics' they hold on to and which also may have flaws but oh no they cannot be criticised

False. I would have thought that you'd know better than this by now, commie. It's pretty much universally agreed upon here that combat sucks in Arcanum and Planescape (and somewhat less universally, Bloodlines), that Fallout 2 would have been much better without the lulzy elements, that the Temple of Trials sucked, etc. And there are also criticisms that are less universal but still have a good deal of support, such as 70% of Arcanum's main quest being one long, tedious fetch quest, Fallout's combat not being tactical enough due to the fact that eye-shots with small guns/laser weapons are optimal most of the time, and so on.

Worst is the lack of consistency: DA2 is raged at for being streamlined, yet we have many who love ME2 for taking out what little RPG elements there were left from the first one! Wouldn't it actually make more sense to rage at ME2 for not enhancing the RPG experience?

People seem to have trouble understanding this for some reason I can't fathom, so I'm going to go ahead and spell this out for you. ME2 removed RPG elements, resulting in what is for all intents and purposes a shooter/action game. For many, its gameplay is fun because it's got fast-paced combat that requires you to keep on your toes and have good reflexes, at least on higher difficulties; this is in contrast to ME1 where the ability to aim was somewhat important, but you were never really tested because combat relied more heavily on your character's skills and enemy behavior and encounter design were simpler and more predictable. DA2, on the other hand, removed RPG elements but is still some sort of action/RPG hybrid. The combat is still like the combat in DA:O, but faster and with less of an emphasis on tactics (at least in the demo) and more of a [failed] emphasis on awesome things happening when you press a button.

In ME2, the removal of RPG elements along with the improved encounter design resulted in a sort of gameplay that's fun for a different audience, people who enjoy games that test player reflexes and the ability to act fast under fire. Basically, you could say that the game wasn't dumbed down so much as the focus was shifted to a different demographic. Sure, it was dumbed down if you still think of it as an RPG, but that's not the whole story; it went from being a mediocre RPG and a mediocre shooter to a poor RPG but a much better shooter. In DA2, on the other hand, your twitch skills aren't tested because the combat still consists of clicking on enemies and letting your character do all the work, but you're no longer required use abilities in as (semi-)tactical a manner because the developers wanted to make a game that could be played without having to pause and issue commands. It was dumbed down as an RPG, and that is the whole story; it went from being a decent RPG and a crappy action game to a worse RPG and still a crappy action game.

On this I agree somewhat. If someone personally found a game enjoyable, he shouldn't be derided for that. But if he claims that the game is good, there will be people who feel the need to explain why they disagree; that's just how it is.

Also important to keep in mind is that what passes for derision on other sites is more like gentle ribbing on the Codex, so not everything that looks like derision really is. I haven't seen anything in this thread that strikes me as particularly hostile so far.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
commie said:
Konjad said:

Then again, there is no real need for you to post how you loved some game. Why would you do it? Do you need confirmation from others your enjoyment is legitimate? You know how this place ticks.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Roguey said:
Konjad said:

The irony here is that i, personally, would not rage if i didn't constantly see potential in new games and technologies. For example DA2 shows that cinematic approach combined with more personal story can be great if implemented properly.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just finished DA2. It's a good game, much better than the first DA (although lack of tactical view sucks and dying animations... I mean blowing animations sucks too). The ending sucks of course as well. I enjoyed the game greatly though. I will buy this, it's worth it.

Actually it definitely is one of the best Bioware games, I think only Baldur's Gate series is better. When comparing to other cRPGs it's good, although there are a lot of better cRPGs of course.

It is a good game.

Hater's gonna hate though.

Dele

Liturgist
Konjad said:
I just finished DA2. It's a good game, much better than the first DA (although lack of tactical view sucks and dying animations... I mean blowing animations sucks too). The ending sucks of course as well. I enjoyed the game greatly though. I will buy this, it's worth it.

Actually it definitely is one of the best Bioware games, I think only Baldur's Gate series is better. When comparing to other cRPGs it's good, although there are a lot of better cRPGs of course.

It is a good game.

0/10

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Konjad said:

It is a good game.

God, this frightens me. I'll be starting the game tomorrow, and I'm afraid that I will like it. And then I have to come back here and admit that I was wrong and this is not a terrible game. But it is still a dumbed down action-rpg! :x

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gord said:
SCO said:

And yet what he says may be quite appropriate at times. Not always, but still...
Yeah, I only ever-so-slightly agree with her and don't appreciate the generalization. I don't think it's too much to ask/expect for them to take the conventions that worked in (previous title) and slowly build and improve on them rather than this lateral shift into whatever they're doing now. It usually just trades one set of a flaws for a different set of flaws and also adds in a heap more for good measure.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Konjad said:

It is a good game.

:lol: Thanks for the signature material.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Konjad said:

It is a good game.

Glad to hear you're happy. Perhaps you could direct your attention to boards more befitting your sublime tastes, such as Bioware Social, RPGWatch or fanfiction.net.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've committed to not playing DA2 and I'm sticking to that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom