Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fuck this shit, I'll be BIOWARE EVIL in the end anyway (DA2)

Who to play?

• Male

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Female

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranny <kingcomrade>

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

waywardOne

Arcane
If these P.C. Man Childs want to let a game ruin they life they can go on a head. Me ill just continue to love the game that I put 60 big ones on and make "poop" into glittery diamonds.
:thumbsup:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
HULIQ projects sales of Dragon Age 2 will reach 3.25 million in six months and 4.5 million in twelve months. For comparison purposes, Wedbush Securities analysts Michael Pachter shared his firm’s prediction, which is 2.5 million units in the first six months.

:(

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
racofer said:
It seems we have a mole.

When you google the topic url you get the actual bioware thread and this thread. You may want to start masking your links or something.

Derpy

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
commie said:
Coyote said:
False. I would have thought that you'd know better than this by now, commie. It's pretty much universally agreed upon here that combat sucks in Arcanum and Planescape (and somewhat less universally, Bloodlines), that Fallout 2 would have been much better without the lulzy elements, that the Temple of Trials sucked, etc. And there are also criticisms that are less universal but still have a good deal of support, such as 70% of Arcanum's main quest being one long, tedious fetch quest, Fallout's combat not being tactical enough due to the fact that eye-shots with small guns/laser weapons are optimal most of the time, and so on.

So people hate this and that from the old games, I know that. That's not what I was talking about. Check that the same problems with old games do not have the same weight as similar problems with new games. That is what I meant by no real criticism.

People seem to have trouble understanding this for some reason I can't fathom, so I'm going to go ahead and spell this out for you. ME2 removed RPG elements, resulting in what is for all intents and purposes a shooter/action game. For many, its gameplay is fun because it's got fast-paced combat that requires you to keep on your toes and have good reflexes, at least on higher difficulties; this is in contrast to ME1 where the ability to aim was somewhat important, but you were never really tested because combat relied more heavily on your character's skills and enemy behavior and encounter design were simpler and more predictable. DA2, on the other hand, removed RPG elements but is still some sort of action/RPG hybrid. The combat is still like the combat in DA:O, but faster and with less of an emphasis on tactics (at least in the demo) and more of a [failed] emphasis on awesome things happening when you press a button.

In ME2, the removal of RPG elements along with the improved encounter design resulted in a sort of gameplay that's fun for a different audience, people who enjoy games that test player reflexes and the ability to act fast under fire. Basically, you could say that the game wasn't dumbed down so much as the focus was shifted to a different demographic. Sure, it was dumbed down if you still think of it as an RPG, but that's not the whole story; it went from being a mediocre RPG and a mediocre shooter to a poor RPG but a much better shooter. In DA2, on the other hand, your twitch skills aren't tested because the combat still consists of clicking on enemies and letting your character do all the work, but you're no longer required use abilities in as (semi-)tactical a manner because the developers wanted to make a game that could be played without having to pause and issue commands. It was dumbed down as an RPG, and that is the whole story; it went from being a decent RPG and a crappy action game to a worse RPG and still a crappy action game.

I don't fail to understand it at all. I understand that many people are apologists for Bioware getting rid of RPG elements in one game while at the same time raging at this in another game. The final result is moot. Whether ME2 ended up better as a result or not is not the issue. Rather, on a fucking RPG forum I would have expected people to want BETTER RPG elements in ME to make it a better RPG and not all of a sudden suck Bioware dick because they got rid of the RPG elements to make a shooter! I don't give bioware kudos for making a shooter, I damn them for not making an RPG! How can people then rage at the streamlining in DA2? Bioware was just doing the same thing as in ME2 though with less benefit, yet the rage is not about their lack of result as much as it is them having done this dumbing down in the first place. This is the lack of consistency in the rage that I'm talking about. Bioware should be cursed for making a shooter instead of an RPG, just as they should be cursed for making a poor H&S instead of an RPG.

Very Very Well Put! :salute: :incline:

:bravo:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
More important, why does the Codex give a shit about BIO 'dumbing down' DA in the first place since the Codex loathes DA anyways. FFS

The Codex is full of morons who play with barby dolls and suck it up all day long, every day. Then post about it on the Codex, feeling superior to their mainstream counterparts. Thats why the hivemind cares so much. They love but deny it, like a pedophile on trial.

Captain Shrek

Volourn said:
More important, why does the Codex give a shit about BIO 'dumbing down' DA in the first place since the Codex loathes DA anyways. FFS

I personally thought that DA was a decent RPG. But you must be kidding, right? You have been here way longer than me and do know that Codex Disapproves of ALL dumb down whether new or old.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Volourn said:

:smug:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Volourn said:
I asked this long before you did. Vault Dweller even replied to me! Stop stealing my critically acclaimed posts, asshole. Goddammit I'll kill you if you don't pay me royalties.

Andyman Messiah said:
Volourn said:
I asked this long before you did. Vault Dweller even replied to me! Stop stealing my critically acclaimed posts, asshole. Goddammit I'll kill you if you don't pay me royalties.

Gore him with your unihorn. You'll have to find a spot that isn't protected by 2 feet of blubber, however.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
L0L The 'ol fat joke which always fails 'cause while I'm many negative things, being fat isn't one of them./ R00fles!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Serious_Business said:
Volourn said:

This is Reasonable

I'm really worried with Bioware's influence extending towards the media will scare away prospective investors from putting their money into indie's pockets. I mean, that would lead to the death of the classic RPG scene if all investors wanted are 'Blood splatters and High-Paced Awesome combat laced with gay / lesbian romances to appeal to the mass.' (what DA 2 was all about)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Serious_Business said:
Volourn said:

This is Reasonable

I actually like some of Bioware's games and it pisses me off to see them fall to mainstream shit. It means they will be less likely to release another game I'll like in the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom