Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software future souls: open-world or not?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd like to see them make another game in the style of Demon's Souls, and less twitchy combat. They have several styles of games down now, so I would like at least one game that copies, and improves on the Demon's Souls formula. Decently challenging bosses, with levels that are the biggest challenge. The feeling of finding a a shortcut or a bonfire in Demon's Souls is unmatched for me.

Elden Ring 2 (it will happen, probably) being open world makes sense.

Spike

Educated
I would like them to stop re-making the same fucking game over and over again and start something new for a change.

I'm clearly fed up of Dark Souls, enough.
There's no law requiring you to play FS games you know. Tons of soulslikes, souls-lites, soulsvanias and other shit by now from other devs.

You want kindda souls but different? Play Nioh or Darksiders 3 or Ashen or Remnant or Jedi or a plethora of 2D plaformer "souls" like Salt&Sanctuary. All of them very good games that took a few elements from souls but are otherwise doing their own thing.
I'll add to this, FS can only make games at the pace it does by reusing assets and iterating. You want something totally new every time? You'll get like 1 game every 5 years.
Elden Ring took 6 unless you want to count Sekiro and I don't think many people do. It's such a worse game and is clearly a Westernised Tenchu made for activision missing the charm of the original series and none of the good aspects of the Souls games. All but shovelware.
Congratulations, you have one of the top 3 worst opinions I have ever read in my time on this site.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I would like them to stop re-making the same fucking game over and over again and start something new for a change.

There's no law requiring you to play FS games you know. Tons of soulslikes, souls-lites, soulsvanias and other shit by now from other devs.

You want kindda souls but different? Play Nioh or Darksiders 3 or Ashen or Remnant or Jedi or a plethora of 2D plaformer "souls" like Salt&Sanctuary. All of them very good games that took a few elements from souls but are otherwise doing their own thing.
I'll add to this, FS can only make games at the pace it does by reusing assets and iterating. You want something totally new every time? You'll get like 1 game every 5 years.
Elden Ring took 6 unless you want to count Sekiro and I don't think many people do. It's such a worse game and is clearly a Westernised Tenchu made for activision missing the charm of the original series and none of the good aspects of the Souls games. All but shovelware.
Congratulations, you have one of the top 3 worst opinions I have ever read in my time on this site.
Call me when your grappling hook works like this instead of being set jumping points.

Spike

Educated

Call me when your grappling hook works like this instead of being set jumping points.

This is superior grappling, yes. However, the grappling was just to get around in Sekiro. It wasn't a highlight mechanic. Sekiro is a combat game where the sword is all. It is like an arcade game suped up to a full-fledged blockbuster PC/console game. It's fantastic and a true achievement in gaming.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I would like to see some innovation in the Dark Souls game loop...

8010.jpg

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Elden Ring is still pretty much Souls with the open world.

I'd say it should follow Armored Core's idea, mission-based level design with mission-ranking.
Fuck muh immershun.
Based. I'm a big fan of AC's game structure. TBH it'd be easy to disguise as a continuous world, though as far as I'm concerned there is no need to.

REhorror

Educated
Elden Ring is still pretty much Souls with the open world.

I'd say it should follow Armored Core's idea, mission-based level design with mission-ranking.
Fuck muh immershun.
Based. I'm a big fan of AC's game structure. TBH it'd be easy to disguise as a continuous world, though as far as I'm concerned there is no need to.
Based taste.
I like the military feel of the thing where you have briefing - execution - extraction.

Machocruz

Arcane
From have been an interesting, diverse talent forever, some bad games notwithstanding. And such talent shouldn't be "wasted" on doing one or two things. I don't want them to pull a Rockstar, who look like they are going to alternate between the same two properties for the foreseeable future; to quote Lord Humongous, what a puny plan.

Now to kind of contradict myself, I think another game like STA would hit big these days. Immersive, first-person, in an original dark fantasy setting, melee and gun combat, solid but not overly-punishing difficulty.

But I'd be interested even if they got away from the fantasy battle thing for their next game. Revolutionize the dating sim genre, make something heterosexual males would want to play. Whatever.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Revolutionize the dating sim genre, make something heterosexual males would want to play. Whatever.
The dating sim genre was 'revolutionized' by Catherine and it's still only appealing to incels and women. The genre has bled into CRPGs and there's not much more that can be done to make it appeal to straight men outside of that. Unfortunately it's also harmed the genres it's bled into where you have crap like BG3 where you get jumped by a gay guy for wanting to learn magic unless you constantly reject him.

Another king's field would be interesting and could be done on a much smaller budget than a souls game. Most the environmental stuff is already in place with their library of textures and combat can be more basic and not revolve around constant rolling.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'd love a stealth game by FromSoft.

Stealth games are notoriously high-profile/low-sales but if FromSoft could sell 3 million copies of a 3rd person robot shooter, they could make even stealth sell well.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

Stealth games are notoriously high-profile/low-sales but if FromSoft could sell 3 million copies of a 3rd person robot shooter, they could make even stealth sell well.
Isn't that Sekiro? A failed Tenchu prototype turned into a souls like with a party mechanic instead. Stealth seems like some thing best left in the hands of indie devs. They benefit from little to no cut scenes and the graphics are secondary to the gameplay. Lots of copy and pasted bugman huts with the same roof tops can make up a level pretty successfully. There has to be an indie Tecnhu clone right?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Isn't that Sekiro? A failed Tenchu prototype turned into a souls like with a party mechanic instead. Stealth seems like some thing best left in the hands of indie devs. They benefit from little to no cut scenes and the graphics are secondary to the gameplay. Lots of copy and pasted bugman huts with the same roof tops can make up a level pretty successfully. There has to be an indie Tecnhu clone right?
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. Like, at all.

Sekiro is a soulslike where you can stealth-kill shit. It's not a stealth game.

And if graphix are important anywhere it's arguably in proper, Thief-like stealth games where immersion and great execution of light and shadow matters a lot.

A spiritual successor of Thief made by FromSoft with the AC6 mission structure would make me poopoo my peepee.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
m not exactly sure what you're talking about. Like, at all.

Sekiro is a soulslike where you can stealth-kill shit. It's not a stealth game.
Sekiro started life as a Tenchu game.

Who gives a fuck what it started as? It's not a stealth game, period. And only a retard would think that it is.
It's not a stealth game despite the tutorial teaching you how to use stealth and the first area having like 10 enemies so stealth is basically expected? Okay sure. Tekken isn't a fighting game because it has a beach ball mini game.

It's not a stealth game despite the tutorial teaching you how to use stealth and the first area having like 10 enemies so stealth is basically expected? Okay sure. Tekken isn't a fighting game because it has a beach ball mini game.

You must really suck at the game if you have trouble going through it without that shitty popamole stealth system. No wonder you are butthurt about it.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

You must really suck at the game if you have trouble going through it without that shitty popamole stealth system. No wonder you are butthurt about it.
You realize it's a self own here right? The game teaches you to use Stealth, way beyond the way Elden Ring does. If you're not supposed to use it then why give you a tutorial on it and have a special area laid out to teach you how? I thought the game sucked with and without stealth but I'm not going to defend the game misrepresenting it's intended playing style by giving you tutorials.

Machocruz

Arcane
The dating sim genre was 'revolutionized' by Catherine and it's still only appealing to incels and women. The genre has bled into CRPGs and there's not much more that can be done to make it appeal to straight men outside of that. Unfortunately it's also harmed the genres it's bled into where you have crap like BG3 where you get jumped by a gay guy for wanting to learn magic unless you constantly reject him.
Oh I thought it was a puzzle game primarily. Atlus games have a lot of soy anyway, they aren't the ones to make dating sims palatable to normal men. Just because they didn't change the game, no one else can? I was presenting an extreme example anyway, anything far removed from hack and slash or mech battles would suffice.

You realize it's a self own here right? The game teaches you to use Stealth, way beyond the way Elden Ring does. If you're not supposed to use it then why give you a tutorial on it and have a special area laid out to teach you how? I thought the game sucked with and without stealth but I'm not going to defend the game misrepresenting it's intended playing style by giving you tutorials.

Game includes a stealth kill option to take down regular enemies with and bothers informing players of its existence with a tutorial. Therefore it must be a stealth game. Doesn't matter that is by far the least developed aspect of it and nobody plays it that way. Or that you cannot take down bosses with stealth. No, it's totally a stealth game because you saw a tutorial about it. And the tutorial area totally encourages stealth despite the enemies in it being pushovers that have their posture broken with a single deflect. Ok buddy.

Last edited:

Dr1f7

Scholar
meh who cares souls peaked at dark souls 1 and it's been steep decline from there it's over miyazaki

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom