Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software future souls: open-world or not?

Silva

Arcane
No matter If a sequel (Dark Souls 4 or Bloodborne 2?) or a new IP in the souls formula, should future entries be open-world or not? Is the formula better with or without it? Or maybe some middle ground, assuming it's possible?

Spike

Educated
Would prefer that no, it is not needed. I would like an expanded version of Demon's Souls, honestly. Give me big wide (maybe interconnected) expanses, not a fully open world. The game design overall suffers. Mile wide but an inch deep sort of thing. A focused, carefully designed experience is much better than open world slop.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
It's irrelevant what we want. Elden Ring pretty much sealed that deal.
What I loved about the games is called Legacy Dungeons now. lel

Spike

Educated
It's irrelevant what we want. Elden Ring pretty much sealed that deal.
That actually might not make another one open world. They said they just wanted to do that with this one.

Machocruz

Arcane
Labyrinthes with some open environments > open world. Just finished up The Gutter in DS2 and navigation is a game in itself. I don't know what the consensus is on that level, but it's fresh on my mind.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
No matter If a sequel (Dark Souls 4 or Bloodborne 2?) or a new IP in the souls formula, should future entries be open-world or not? Is the formula better with or without it? Or maybe some middle ground, assuming it's possible?
It's been observed many times that the best content of Elden Ring resides in the "legacy dungeons" and the underground areas, which are quite similar to Demon's/Dark Souls levels, so there won't be much controversy among Codexers over asserting that From Software's next Souls-like will be better if not Open World. However, Elden Ring handled the integration of the Open World poorly by having an extreme amount of content (I think it's about the length of all 3 Dark Souls games combined) and filling it with far too many micro-dungeons, even to the point of reusing bosses and having some micro-dungeons nearly indistinguishable from others. A Souls-like could be Open World while having fewer but larger dungeon-equivalent areas, which would greatly improve the overall level design while reducing the amount of trash mobs and re-used boss monsters.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
The stuff and the number of times they reused it is disgusting in ER.
Compiling a comprehensive list would take forever; caves, catacombs, tunnels, graves, ruins, churches, towers, evergaols, dragons, erdtrees, bosses(!).
The whole game is like 6 gigantic Demon Ruins/Lost Izaliths with different colour palettes with about 10 or so half-decent to good "legacy dungeons" sprinkled in, none of which reach the quality of the Dark Souls series' highlights.
And most bosses are awful.
It's a fucking shame this game was so successful.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I could do without. It'd never happen, but I'd actually like to see From take the linear, mission-based structure from Nioh.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
On one hand, Japanese studios aren't as beholden to the almighty dollar as certain others, so they could actually say no to the bajillion dollars from Elden Ring and hypermainstream success.

Part of that is just from the gradual audience building From has been doing for decades anyways, not entirely because it's open world.

On the other hand,

Money.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Like Tyranicon said, there's no real way to predict what From Software will make next. Miyazaki is as Miyazaki does. So I see this as a bit of a moot discussion.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Old Zelda fan reading this: :negative:
On the bright side, fans of old zelda games have spinoffs in new settings they can play instead. Dark Souls is the same deal. It's taken a while but some decent takes on the genre seem to have emerged, though I haven't played them yet myself.

REhorror

Educated
Elden Ring is still pretty much Souls with the open world.

I'd say it should follow Armored Core's idea, mission-based level design with mission-ranking.
Fuck muh immershun.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Yeah, ignore the relevant part then, faggot.
Besides, DeS is also way better than ER's boring open world, many even think of it as the best Souls game.
retard.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I'd say it should follow Armored Core's idea, mission-based level design with mission-ranking.
Fuck muh immershun.
I'd actually love to see that, it'd bring a fresh new take on the formula.

Unfortunately sales-wise AC6 has been FS' least successful game since DS2. And given the differences in the size of the market and the studio's renown....maybe since Demon's Souls. Plus it didn't win any major awards or GOTYs. Wasn't even nominated for most of them. While Elden Ring is the exact opposite in all those respects.

So I guess we'll get another boring open world in a genre that absolutely doesn't fucking need it.

REhorror

Educated

Fuck muh immershun.
I'd actually love to see that, it'd bring a fresh new take on the formula.

Unfortunately sales-wise AC6 has been FS' least successful game since DS2. And given the differences in the size of the market and the studio's renown....maybe since Demon's Souls. Plus it didn't win any major awards or GOTYs. Wasn't even nominated for most of them. While Elden Ring is the exact opposite in all those respects.

So I guess we'll get another boring open world in a genre that absolutely doesn't fucking need it.
AC6 sold like 3 millions and generate huge revenues on Steam alone tho.

And it won the TGA's Action Game of the Year.

Anyway, let's hope I guess. I really hope From takes a page from AC and Capcom's game design with self-challenge, ranking mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom