Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy XIII

Perkel

Arcane
The worse thing about this porting fiasco is that I definitely remember before the game was out they said they had started development on PC before porting it to the other consoles (as it's usually done before a console specs and dev kits are out). So it's probably not actually a port. It's the original version of the game that got completely shat upon.

I think people just misinterpret what devs did say. Every game on console is created on PCs then moved to devkits or in ps4/xbone case devkits work in tandem with PCs as for example PS4 API is plugin for Visual Studio.

Also API they run on PC is different to API normal PC users use (OGL or DX). So they can have game completely on Win based environment but on API and drivers for hardware which you won't be able to get.

Gonna try now to unlock all levels of crystalium trees as i am in chapter 4.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So when I set 4x in NVidia control panel I just replicated a standard setting?

Perkel

Arcane
more or less yes. We don't know if default is msaa or something else as there are problems still with scaling.

after 5 minutes i menaged to open lvl 4 crystalium tress (when i had only lvl 2). In next 5 minutes i will have whole path open. So who is in for a save with open all trees to develop and start actually playing game instead of waiting 30-40 hours to finally enjoy battle system ?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I think you should wait when you are playing it for the first time. (Also battles would be much easier.)

Perkel

Arcane
I think you should wait when you are playing it for the first time. (Also battles would be much easier.)

I am playing this second time. I beat it on PS3.

Also i don't think battles will be that much easier as in campaign you don't have usually enough CP to max all trees either way even if rest are closed. Also with each higher part of tree CP amout to add new skill goes up a lot so grinding is way to worthless.

What this will change though is that now you will be able to specialize with characters differently instead of fallowing one scheme where for example Lighting is needed to be commando or Vanille Medic.

Also this was discussed already but first part of the game is reaaaaly annoying in combat as there are no hard battles and you are locked in your build for at least 40-60 hours before it opens up.

It isn't cheat imo. It is just like FX international edition where you could from start specialize as you want instead of fallowing one set path as in japanese FX

Perkel

Arcane
ok now i have my crystalium at lvl 10 but i only have 3 classes. i know that classes are added later in game but i wonder how to enable them via cheat engine.

Perkel

Arcane
It isn't that bad. Also you rarely actually fight big groups of enemies at end game, just switch to have one medic and work your way up. When you have full life then change to something more offensive.

Changing roles is essense of FFXIII battle system. I usually change them in short fights like 6-10 times. Also first change and then randomly next one fills up your ATB. So you can for example set 3 stage combo and when last part of combo starts then you change roles and your dude will still attack. When he uses his last combo shot he will have full ATB guage to do stuff again.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I've spent all my crafting materials on marry suing Lightning by upgrading her gladius. Now two of her Blitz AoEs basically instakill every large group consisting of smaller enemies. She's furthermore buffed by having a ravager in her team, not to mention that the said ravagers can also throw firas. Some single enemy fights can be a little annoying though, especially when I suddenly don't have Lightning.

Perkel

Arcane
Looks like my HD7970 decided that this is its time. Gotta send that for guarantee repair (maybe cashback) and for now i will be using my old HD6870.
I believe 4k is currently no go.

Perkel

Arcane
lol my HD6870 @ 1080p works butter smooth. Better actually than my HD7970. And above all locked 60 fps even in battles.
wtf is going on.

Perkel

Arcane
Imo i think that there are some weird bugs with game using newer architectures and this is why there are people who can't get even stable 30fps with GPUs such as 980 or 290x.

We finally reached point where we have too good GPU for games...

... or Sqeeeee programmers suck which is the case.

Deleted member 7219

Imo i think that there are some weird bugs with game using newer architectures and this is why there are people who can't get even stable 30fps with GPUs such as 980 or 290x.

What I've heard from PC Gaming Wiki and the rest is actually, because they are targeting this at the internet cafe market, they've optimised it so much that powerful GPUs go to sleep and don't use enough of their processing power. Ironically, poor performance is the result. I definitely think this is what is happening to me.

I've been told that changing the graphics card settings to high performance solves this, but it doesn't for me. I've set it in NVIDIA Control Panel, I've set it in NVIDIA Inspector and I've set it in the Windows control panel (maximum performance for the PC), and nothing seems to solve it. I'm absolutely certain this is what is causing my frame issues. The game doesn't want to use my GPU at all.

Perkel

Arcane

From what i heard jap game programers suck generaly

more like PC gaming is dead in Japan so they only program for consoles. In therm of skills they are no different than western devs. They just have different focus. So when they release something on PC they treat PC as console. One resolution locked framerate and that is it.

In therms of skills they are no different than western devs and imo some of them are really pushing games now in therm of GF:

5Xy4.gif

Perkel

Arcane

What I've heard from PC Gaming Wiki and the rest is actually, because they are targeting this at the internet cafe market, they've optimised it so much that powerful GPUs go to sleep and don't use enough of their processing power. Ironically, poor performance is the result. I definitely think this is what is happening to me.

I've been told that changing the graphics card settings to high performance solves this, but it doesn't for me. I've set it in NVIDIA Control Panel, I've set it in NVIDIA Inspector and I've set it in the Windows control panel (maximum performance for the PC), and nothing seems to solve it. I'm absolutely certain this is what is causing my frame issues. The game doesn't want to use my GPU at all.

Yes this definitely happened to me. My 7970 didn't even get to 40c where my 6870 does work a bit. Also stutters are gone

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

You can change this in the NVIDIA control panel. I think it helped me reduce stutter, but it's still so-so. GTX 770 2GB.
CJxKoCW.png
At least I think it helped. Could be just the placebo effect.

Last edited:

Straight elf

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I tried to play this game, but did not get far due to super retarded story. I have played some Japanese games before (FFs and Personas) and they always had a bit naive narrative but this looks like someone spent 100s of millions on production value and then let his 8 years old son to do the writing.

Like there is this very evil government, which decided to transport some people to a place where they will die for sure because they found a being from that place in the neighborhood but that's just what they want you to think, because the government really wants to kill everyone for lulz. Luckily there are some street dudes with big muscles who are like real heroes but they have real feelings too. Terrible.

Deleted member 7219

You can change this in the NVIDIA control panel. I think it helped me reduce stutter, but it's still so-so. GTX 770 2GB.
CJxKoCW.png
At least I think it helped. Could be just the placebo effect.

Didn't work for me. Really strange.

Grinolf

Arcane
I tried to play this game, but did not get far due to super retarded story. I have played some Japanese games before (FFs and Personas) and they always had a bit naive narrative but this looks like someone spent 100s of millions on production value and then let his 8 years old son to do the writing.

Like there is this very evil government, which decided to transport some people to a place where they will die for sure because they found a being from that place in the neighborhood but that's just what they want you to think, because the government really wants to kill everyone for lulz. Luckily there are some street dudes with big muscles who are like real heroes but they have real feelings too. Terrible.

As if it wasn't known that FF 13 and sequels are the worst part of FF franchise (amongst single player games at least)? So it is suprising that there is still someone unprepared, who didn't eliminated all his expectations before trying, since it is the only way to play this game.

Still it is unfair to blaim all on the story. It is combination of retarded story, mostly annoying characters and gameplay, that most of the time is just about running in a monotonous tunnel with locked out mechanics, which allowed Square to reach the new lowest point of their career.

Perkel

Arcane
*for the most of game

it worked for me because i tried to figure what was going on and before that happened i was on Gran Pulse enjoying game.
It is kind of like you would stretch every corridor in Irenicus Dungeon for 50 hours and then you would come out of it in atkalia.

End game is seriously good part of FFXIII but most of people dropped game before or didn't care for it because they were already annoyed by story so they skipped it and gone to ending.

Also it is weird to compare FFXII end game and FXIII eng game because in essense they are the same (hunts) but FXII ones were simply annoying where FXIII are interesting (especially the last ones).

Also weapon/accesorry upgrade is interesting later on. Especially getting those traps.

Perkel

Arcane
Is XIII-2 much different?

Even worse story but i heard it has better gameplay. Though only 2 characters + monsters.

LR has best gameplay but story sooo bad that you will question your own origins and how the hell you ended up playing it.

Martius

Liturgist
Its fixed some issues of XIII. You have access to more roles from start, two party members will always stay same (third is pet monster which can be swapped), its not so linear and feature time travel as plot theme and game mechanic. Plot and writing are still bad but overall its bit better game than XIII. Personally I would recommend to skip XIII and go straight to XIII-2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom