Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy IX Remake

cruel

Cipher
Square is done. They're spending more time remaking old games than making new ones. They don't have any creative talent left.

notpl

Arbiter
So instead of making an insane new thing that at least has some novelty and entertainment value like FF7r, they're just going to sell me the same game but uglier and with a bunch of performance problems? What a treat.

911 Jumper

Educated
Almost all of these Japanese companies are getting by by either producing another entry in a long running franchise or remaking hit games from the early 2000s.
This is the reality of “Japan's back!”

Hell Swarm

Educated
9 was never a very popular FF. It's like 12. The big ones were 6, 7 and 10. With 8 and 13 having dedicated fanbases but just as many haters. 9 hit right as JRPGs got over saturated and the PS2 hype train was building.

9 was never a very popular FF. It's like 12. The big ones were 6, 7 and 10. With 8 and 13 having dedicated fanbases but just as many haters. 9 hit right as JRPGs got over saturated and the PS2 hype train was building.

According to Gamefaqs, /vrpg/, and r/JRPG, FF9 is the best Final Fantasy game along with FF6 and maybe FF10. People don't overall love FF7 in its entirety. They like the disselpunk dystopia on disc 1. No one's favorite memories are of disc 2. Likewise with FF8, people like the disc 1 story about a special forces team that fails and is wiped out. Squall is a contentious protagonist. 10 is the only other Final Fantasy game that is overall liked with no common criticisms (beyond the meme "hahaha" scene the Spoony generation liked to make fun of).

Hell Swarm

Educated
10 is the only other Final Fantasy game that is overall liked with no common criticisms
What planet are you on? FF10 has a very common criticism. It's a fucking hallway simulator that makes FF13 look open ended. The first 20 hours or so are literal hallways with 1 dungeon offering 1 alternative path.

ColonelMace

Novice
More like 13 retrospectively made 10 appear open-ended (and it comparatively was, since 13 didn't even allow you to revisit any part of the main storyline).
FF9 may have been poorly received among emo edgy teenagers back at release due to its return to fundamentals and lack of gunblades and other ridiculous contraptions featured in 7 and 8, but to pretend it's "never been as popular" as the rest of the golden age of japanese blobbers is dubious at best.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
You're talking about tranny furry hipster fans that have taken over all those spaces. They like it because it sucks, like themselves.

I remember ff9 at launch, it landed like a dry turd. No one cared and even then the jrpg genre was known for being linear series of cutscenes with minimal gameplay. Ff9 did not break that mold at all.

ColonelMace

Novice
The point he's trying to make is that FF9 was never a popular FF.
It's blatantly false, and I don't even understand how anyone could pretend a game released right in the middle of what's unanimously considered the highlights of the series (for better or worse, that's not the topic here) could not be a popular one today.

Vivi's portrait was one you'd stumbe upon regularly on 2000s forums. Along Auron's, Raziel's from Legacy of Kain etc.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
It's blatantly false, and I don't even understand how anyone could pretend a game released right in the middle of what's unanimously considered the highlights of the series (for better or worse, that's not the topic here) could not be a popular one today.
It wasn't though. The game was overshadowed by the ps2 and dreamcast. Everyone kind of forgot about it until the rise of reddit and they tried to meme it into being popular. It's the Brony game of the series.

ColonelMace

Novice
Again, the original point was that FF9 was never a popular FF.
It's ludicrous to pretend so.
The initial reception doesn't mean much.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
It just wasn't. I don't know what to tell you, I was there. Even penny arcade made a joke about it.

20010817-yT8kaXaR-p1@2x.jpg

Hell Swarm

Educated

Vivi's portrait was one you'd stumbe upon regularly on 2000s forums. Along Auron's, Raziel's from Legacy of Kain etc.
9 sold half as many copies as 7, 8 and 10. It's objectively the least popular of the golden era of Final fantasy. Internet forums aren't how you judge popularity.

Hell Swarm

Educated
9 sold half as many copies as 7, 8 and 10. It's objectively the least popular of the golden era of Final fantasy.
This means 9 was the least popular at release. Which nobody denies here or elsewhere.
Internet forums aren't how you judge popularity.
Indeed and I'll gleefully ignore your disastrous takes on the matter.
I still have my original copy. I was heavily invested in FF until the PS2 era where I got sick of JRPGs as many others did. FF9's art style was considered a huge mistake at the time. With the PS2 moving towards more realistic graphics and FF8 having been a smash hit with it's presentation (the draw system meme of today comes much later) FF9 looked woefully out dated. The cast isn't very memorable and lacks real personality. Even Vivi is mostly remembered for his design rather than his personality. Kingdom hearts 1 didn't even have any FF9 representation while 7, 8 and 10 all appear. Which tells you exactly how FF9 was thought of at the time.

I genuinely don't care what Reddit says about FF9 now because there is always some group of retards who will never shut up about a game and fake it's popularity. It's really easy to brute force a meme online if you're autistic enough and that's basically what any sort of FF9 popularity is. It's a steep decline into the railroad style FFs and it doesn't fit well in either the classic or modern era. So it's a sort of red headed step child the same way FF15 is now. Doesn't make it a bad game, but it's not a good one because Vivi was in a lot of forum signatures in 2003

ColonelMace

Novice
I genuinely don't care what Reddit says
Neither do I on any topic.
but it's not a good one because Vivi was in a lot of forum signatures in 2003
Nobody claimed it made it a good game. I do claim it could hint at its popularity though.
If quality and popularity were at least correlated, this website wouldn't exist.

If you want to claim that FF9 is the worst entry of all PS1 titles, that's very much fine by me.
It most certainly is the least ambitious, with the least interesting systems. And that's factual.
But it's outright delusional to pretend it has never been popular.
Every single game from the golden era of FF was. That's why it's their golden age to begin with.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Almost all of these Japanese companies are getting by by either producing another entry in a long running franchise or remaking hit games from the early 2000s.
This is the reality of “Japan's back!”
Still better than everything else, lmao. If it wasn't for the japs and some random indie devs gaming would be ded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom