Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 2, Still looking pretty cool.

Shoelip

Arbiter
They only have to be attentive and discerning for a second, which everyone is once in a while, and then they've got to deal with a whole bunch of lawsuits. Sure they're bound to get thrown out, but they're still a pain in the ass. And there's also the fact that the minority of parents who actually are attentive might not being willing to get their kid a game with realistic bullet hit effects on flesh. That would also lower profits.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and once one starts suing, it becomes allot more likely that more will. Besides, if they had that with the people you'd complain that they didn't have it with the animals, and if they had it with the animals they'd get PETA after them...

Wyrmlord

Arcane
This is not to diss on Far Cry 2, but what's with this emphasis on "feeling" the game these days? There's no really no need for a game to emulate real life, since it's all about fun. I don't think making it all realistic will necessarilly be a limiting factor in the game being fun.

I suppose it's an interesting detail to add, but I personally can do without it. I never really felt that I had to feel like I am in the game's world in order to enjoy it.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Well I guess you're not a sucker for detail. I've done without details like this in almost every game ever made, but I actually like details. So I'm happy to see a game that has them.

Let me put it this way. Would you enjoy Fallout more if it didn't have aimed shots?

elander_

Arbiter
It's interesting that most games that are called rpgs and don't have faction choices and consequences are called rpgs just because of chargen or personal stats and this game doesn't have chargen or personal stats but has faction choices and consequences.

deuxhero

Arcane
DiverNB said:
Moral grey areas and consequences in my FPS?

Sounds great! Those explosion were purtty too.

It's more likely then you might think.

inwoker said:
Haha, this new farcry game would be better rpg than fallout 3.

You say that like it is hard.

DiverNB

Liturgist
I think as long as it has the same general gore level of Far Cry I'll be satisfied.

I still wish that more games would incorporate Mercenaries Destruction on Demand. I'd love to call in arty strikes and bombing runs in that world, but I'm sure it'll be great regardless.

Divinity: Original Sin
i'd like that they at least put some reference to the first game. not trigens, but jack carver, doyle and/or val. make them NPCs, or some easter egg.

After all, it's far cry. and please, dont turn this into final fantasy, where the games have nothing to do with each other other than the title. So far cry 3 will be in the amazon and with other characters? put things in the same universe. make things cannon. or create a new name.

other than that, it looks great, and if they don't reference the previous game, well, no problem. i think ubisoft is a big corporation but still makes its own games and normally they are good, and even when bad, they're no that bad, like some games made by EA.

Deleted member 7219

Far Cry took place on an Earth where big mutants exist.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Most of them were actually rather small. But I digress. Far Cry 2 takes place in the same world I'm pretty sure. Just, there's no mutants in it cause Jack Carver killed them all, and it's in Africa.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
just wondering if there will be lions eating dead humans with realistic behavior of the female waiting for the male to finish eating it before taking a bite?

Deleted member 7219

Predators aren't included because the devs think they'd eat all the herbivores like the gazelle...

Kaiserin

Liturgist
ViolentOpposition said:
Check this one out. Not a bad player wounds system...

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39274.html

Nice point on infamy/moral gray areas too.

Looks like this'll beat the shit out of Crysis, which was the 'real' sequel to Far Cry.
Sweet Jesus @ the utter retardation found in those comments.
SxyGunR said: the gun jaming is alittle unrealistic..isn't it?
Yeah I mean WTF, guns never jam anywhere but the movies..
timewarrior66 said: Actually considering the game is set in the African Wilderness you have to have gun jamming. As dirt, and other debris gets built up in the gun from various activities, the higher chance of misfire. So the gun jamming is very real, very possible. I was out pheasent hunting and the gun I was using ( A twelve gauge) actually jammed. because I left the gun on the ground like an idiot while climbing over a fallen tree. and the gun jammed So yes it is possible for guns to jam and even explode from over use.

Uh huh, your twelve gauge shotgun 'jammed?'

On person said, in response to a complaint about how dark the game is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...rest)
The canopy of a rainforest is typically 10m thick, and intercepts around 95% of sunlight.\n
The more you know.... Anyway, the game looks better and better with every video release and I can't wait to play it.
I'll be damned if this game doesn't take place in a savannah.

Sissified cult of amateurism.

Less rant oriented, this game looks pretty good, as long as the AI puts up a half decent fight it should be entertaining for longer than the average shooter.

Destroid

Arcane
Games with realistic guns where you have to shoot the enemy 50 times to kill them piss me off.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Matt7895 said:
Predators aren't included because the devs think they'd eat all the herbivores like the gazelle...

oh man, no lions. sad. :(

This looks good if they really can deliver on the promise of freeform gameplay in the African wilderness, and if you are given ample chances to snap your twisted limbs back into place. Thank god they're not doing more fucking tropical jungles.

We need lions though.

Shoelip

Arbiter
There are actually some African jungles as shown in various videos, though I don't think they'll play a huge role since it's kind of hard to drive cars through thick undergrowth.

thursday

Novice
New RPS interview. Looking even better:
To tell a meaningful and engaging story in an open, non-linear world, we decided we needed to tell an open, non-linear story – a story that adapts itself to the player’s actions the same way the non-linear gameplay experience adapts to the player actions. In order to do it, we more or less invented the field of narrative design. Patrick Redding – our narrative designer – is tasked specifically with making sure the story adapts to the player’s actions and decisions. That means that major characters, such as the Warlords, Captains, Lieutenants, and the Buddy characters can live or die based on the actions the player takes and the story will dynamically change based on who lives, who dies, and who the players friends are at any given moment. It was an immensely difficult creative, logistical and technical challenge that required among other things hiring the best writers in the industry to ‘fill in the blanks’ of a truly massive script. We hired Susan O’Connor – one of the writers of Bioshock – to help us bring all these characters to life in the nearly infinite number of permutations possible in the script.

There are 12 Buddy characters. Your very first action on starting a new game is to choose one of them as your avatar. The other 11 go on to populate the dynamic story. You can meet any of them in virtually any order and the ones who live will rise in importance in the main story. The ones who die will be… well… dead.

Well, except for
diamond tracker that is in you GPS

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Dynamic changing stories in my shooter?

My god. What are these people setting themselves up for? Do they really think they can do everything that even STALKER only barely managed to do in all its years of development? That even most RPGs don't do?

It's a Far Cry sequel, which is good enough, so I can gladly settle for less. But making promises like these, are they sure they can even live up to them?

thursday

Novice
Seems like a step in the right direction, regardless of the genre. On paper, anyway. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the story and characters have any more depth than they did in the prequel. It's true that neither are really the point of the game, but if they're sincere about it, this could be the first time (afaik) that this has been done in an FPS, and would seem to suit the game they're trying to make. However,
we more or less invented the field of narrative design
Is rather molyneux for my tastes in interview responses. So yeah, probably just hype. Be nice if it weren't, though.

Nael

Arcane
I was disappointed with Crysis. Despite all the hype it still felt like more of the same to me. Sure you could choose to disable this GPS tower here, or take out a base there, but what kind of fucking idiot wouldn't? You had very little freedom of movement thru the game. The path was wide, but it was a path all the same.

I predict Farcry 2 will be the same as well. Until I'm proven wrong I call bullshit on this game's hype and you're all fools for falling for it.

Deleted member 7219

The main things that ruined Crysis for me were the poor performance and the aliens.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom