Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Kinda off-topic, but i dig something in Zenimax Website.

https://www.zenimax.com/about

Board of Directors

Robert A. Altman
Chairman & CEO

Ernest Del
President

Jerry Bruckheimer
Jerry Bruckheimer Films

Michael Dominguez
Managing Director, Providence Equity Partners Inc.

Leslie Moonves
President & CEO, CBS Corporation

Cal Ripken, Jr.
President & CEO, Ripken Baseball, Inc.

Harry E. Sloan
Chairman and CEO, Global Eagle Holdings, LLC

Robert S. Trump
President, Trump Management, Inc.

Donald Trump brother ?

:mrpresident:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Let's assume that that's true - what's the value of staying consistent with the lore when the lore is a random combination of garbage ideas anyway?

:mob:

Fallout's lore was pretty great until Bethesda started fucking it up.

There's literally nothing of value introduced by Fallout 3, unless you consider "good BoS against evil Enclave while Super Mutants play in the background" something of value. New Vegas on the other hand really expanded on NCR, introduced Caesar's Legion, the Dam, Mr. House, and a bunch of other factions, with a good plot to boot.

Get rid of FO3 and nothing of value is lost, and if Obsidian were to release a FO4-based Fallout game, we may as well get rid of Fallout 4 too.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fallout 4 adds a little bit more lore value than 3 with the introduction of the Minutemen and the Institute; but that's not saying much.

circ

Arcane
There's nothing wrong with Minutemen or the Institute on a superficial level. Especially MM being a classic Fallout concept of taking something old and seeing it in a future setting. But from a good concept Bethesda turns it into a faction that does nothing else much than running around being bitches for the settlers. And the Institute is something like 100+ years old. Their motivation is apparently to take over the US and insert their own ideals in there. But after 50+ years or so of having third gen synths, they haven't accomplished a fucking thing.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I could see something interesting being done with the Institute though it still sounds a lot like Big Mountain, another research and development organization with a lot of very advanced technology that could radically alter the world.
Even the synths might have worked (yes I know, their concept stretched Fallout lore regarding technological development a lot) if they had been thought better out.
I think that instead of the concept of synths being made from artificial organic tissue, complete with human like digestion track, that perhaps the generation 3 synths should perhaps have been more 'terminator esque' instead of replicants, an exo skeleton like the Gen 1s and 2s with cloned flesh grown or grafted on or poured on.

I know this is cheap and I would rather have gone with something like the story from Van Buren, the player's main nemesis being a rival party of adventurers, but the plot of the synths being another mystery army like the Super Mutants in Fallout 1 and the Enclave in Fallout 2 could have been used. The synths being a 'recent' appearance in the wasteland and the only stories so far being about the mechanical ones.
Only slowly the player starts finding out there are also infiltration versions that can pose as full humans and that some people have been replaced by look a likes.

The big revelation would be that the synths are revealed to be the descendants of some pre war government project to create infiltration agents. The Commonwealth institute of Technology worked on this project before the War, and even after the war it was continued by the scientists for some time until they created the first true artificial intelligent and self aware synth or android.
The androids continued this project after their creators had died off, keeping improving themselves and creating more advanced models and eventually getting this idea that they are basically Humanity 2.0, and that they should replace the original humanity. (the player could debate with their 'leader' about this and perhaps through experiences in the wasteland reveal to it that the synths are perhaps to human like, some of them cheat, steal, and perhaps even murder/destroy other synths. So much for a flawless second humanity)

Back on No Mutants Allowed I was playing with the idea that the synths are trying to download human personalities and memories into synth bodies (as part of their project to replace the original human species), with the player being one of their victims.
The player's mind was successfully transferred to a look a like synth but the synths did not expect that the player would come out of this alive. (people tend to die during the transfer process as it burns out their brains).
So now the player would have to find out what is going on and during this learn that there is a look alike of him/her somewhere out there, doing stuff that either hurts or aids the player's reputation. (my idea would be that if the player is some paragon of virtue, the double would be the complete opposite, some nasty raider/slaver type who kicks puppies and kills children).
One of the major questions of the main campaign would be which of you is the original?

Just a load of stupid wannabe writer wank. It would probably be better if Fallout 3 and 4 had never been made.

Drakron

Arcane
Of course there is a lot of potential that is never realized, even FO3 Enclave had potential that amounted to nothing.

The Institute is simply retarded because they do nothing beyond screwing things up for no reason, they could say rebuild the Commonwealth and use it to keep them safe by manipulating them from the shadows, instead they sabotage any attempt to build any kind of civilization and pass it on as "things are bad out there" ... no shit but what the fucking point of stalling them? you gain nothing from it.

The Synths would work if that was the means of the Institute to pull the strings, it would even a call back to Sci Fic of the 50's that played with the whole Red Scare but instead they are nothing but ... do nothing really, they replace people for what purpose outside shit and giggles? If it was to control then having a centralized government would be more effectively controlled that ... well nothing really.

FO3 and 4 dont build on anything, they regurgitate what was done before, their themes are just "Father!" and "Son!", they dont even do anything with them ... its a damn waste and gameplay is even worst, they just steal concepts from other games and dont even implement them correctly.

Deleted Member 16721

I think Far Harbor looks beautiful. It strangely makes me want to move to Maine for some reason...

Can you actually play Fallout 4 effectively with quest markers turned off? Just curious.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Choosing Children of Atom as a main faction shows just how much Bethesda can recycle and still get a positive reception. First they present them as cardboard villain wackos, nothing more than parody characters. And suddenly they're a group you can side with - why would anyone, ever? They're already established as deranged maniacs, there's no incentive to agree or sympathize with them. And then DiMA and Captain trying to make you feel bad for getting rid of them - SO MUCH CRINGE. There's literally nothing redeeming about them, the island should be thanking you. You can see they tried to pull a New Vegas with grey zone meaningful faction choices, but missed the point as per usual. Beth is undeniably a master of print screen - because they get money despite a constantly sloppy job.

Yeah. And they tried to defend it even after it's established that CoA has brainwashed and kidnapped people from Far Harbor in the past. They're just trying to get along with us, everyone has a right to co-exist even genocidal cultists! And when the CoA leader has no issues themselves with blowing FH the shit up.

The entire logic when it comes to CoA and why DiMA defends them is fucking baffling. "They're the only group that welcomed us, just because their religion is strange, doesn't mean we should kill them!" Uh, no, DiMA, their religion is not just strange, it's completely fucking dangerous, a group that believes in killing others with radiation is one of couple ways they can only 'save' the blasphemers, the other forcing them into their doctrine and making them one of their own. They're paranoid, the leaders get power-hungry, and their 'missionary movements' are literally just full on assault teams shooting Gamma radiation at innocent people. They should be destroyed when given the chance, seeing as they don't appear to sway from their religion.

Sounds like solid writing to me, they pretty much just plagiarized modern Kwa/European Union politics. :troll:

typical user

Arbiter
Let's assume that that's true - what's the value of staying consistent with the lore when the lore is a random combination of garbage ideas anyway?

Maybe creating a realistic world where people can rebuild from a disaster, don't establish towns near supermutant nests and don't act like Amnesty International saving terminators? Even in Warhammer - a fantasy world let me remind you - people have to eat and act reasonable like - surprise - a real people.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Ironically I thought the "peaceful" ending was surprisingly decent for a Bethesda game. Especially considering that the main game only had "YOU HAVE TO KILL OF FACTION X (and y) BEAUSE WE SAY SO!" offered by any faction.
In the end I did excactly what the institute does, covering up and even actively replacing humans with synths to further my goals. Doing what everyone was afraid of. And I felt right doing it. Because I did it for the greater good! :obviously:
Why couldn't Beth give the Institute a similar agenda? No, everytime you think "huh, turned out better in the end", you just find a terminal entry telling you they intend to kill the whole experiment off in the end.
Meh, guess Beth needed some evul faction even the SJWs can kill off without shedding a tear.

circ

Arcane
Speaking of Bethesda reactivity.

I got DiMA killed previously. I started FH with Valentine but he was so boring I kicked him out and swapped to Longfellow. Anyway, I swinged by his office after coming back to the mainland. First thing he said was, it's a shame DiMA had to die, though he wasn't present. Fair enough.

So later I swing by his office again to finish off his personal quest.

Well I guess it's some kind of reactive.

lUMKiPG.jpg

omwpCLt.jpg

Yeah... you do that Nick. Good luck.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-06-row-over-stolen-fallout-4-mods

Row over "stolen" Fallout 4 mods
UPDATE: Bethesda: "We take these reports seriously."

UPDATE 7th June 2016: Bethesda has told Fallout 4 mod creators who believe their work has been stolen to file a Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown request.

In a post on the Bethesda forum, the company insisted it takes reports of users uploading mod content that does not belong to the mod creator seriously.

The issue was brought to light after the launch of mods for the Xbox One version of Fallout 4. A number of the most popular mods on Xbox One were found to have used mods already on PC and without a credit.

In the post, Bethesda outlines the process of issuing a DMCA takedown request (this is the kind of thing publishers such as Bethesda use to get leaked videos removed from YouTube).

The reaction from the modding community has been mixed. On the one hand, they have praised the acknowledgement of the rights of mod creators. On the other, they have criticised the effort required of them, which in effect means mod creators will have to file legal documents with Bethesda parent company ZeniMax every time someone steals their work. That's a lot for mod creators, most of whom improve games in their spare time, to do.

The hope, however, is the DMCA takedown process will put off people from stealing mods in the first place, thus acting as a preventative measure. But maybe we'll see Bethesda actively remove some mods from its download platform, too.

ORIGINAL STORY 6th June 2016: There's an ongoing row over "stolen" Fallout 4 mods.

jpg

Spawn Items is the second most popular Fallout 4 mod on Xbox One.

It appears that some of the most popular mods available for the Xbox One version of the game include mods made by PC players. And in some cases, these mods are not credited.

The issue emerged last week in a thread onReddit when a mod creator accused "Spawn Items" - at the time of publication the second-most popular mod for Fallout 4 on Xbox One - of including a copy of a popular mod already available for the PC version.

Another mod was found to have lifted a popular mod created by DDProductions83, who made a lengthy rant video about the situation and uploaded it to YouTube. (Warning, there's plenty of swearing in the video. It's NSFW.)

Last week Bethesda said Xbox One's Fallout 4 mod traffic Was 50 times bigger than the PC's at launch, so it's clear the initiative has been hugely successful. But PC modders complain that they suffer a lack of recognition when their mods are ported to Xbox One uncredited. Another issue is that many of these mods were not designed for console, where there is a 2GB limit. There are reports some of these mods result in game crashes and corrupt save files on Xbox One - and the original creators are having to bat off complaints.

It doesn't help that it's impossible to create mods on Xbox One. Bethesda's set-up means all mods available on console were created on PC first. So, console players benefit from PC players' hard work - and there's no current way to return the favour.

The situation has got to the point where some mod creators are "hiding" their mods on PC so they cannot be stolen and made available on Xbox One. Others have said they're considering giving up mod creation altogether.

The rights and wrongs of the situation are being debated in a thread on Reddit. One popular Fallout mod creator, DogtoothCG (the artist behind the NCR Veteran Ranger mod that was used in the Spawn Items mod), summed up the stance from the modding community in a post on their website:

It will sort itself out in time, but in the meantime, without any sort of compensation, the notoriety of being THE author of a file is all that a mod author gets. That control over the file has been the standard since Morrowind, and has suddenly changed with the introduction of console modding, so naturally, there is some aggression and assumption on both sides.
The debate is being fuelled by the age old "console vs PC master race" rivalry. The person behind the Spawn Items Fallout 4 Xbox One mod defended his actions, railing against "PC elitists". He is, clearly, unrepentant.

jpg

Now, many are calling on Bethesda to step in and do more to block mods comprised of stolen mods from popping up on Xbox One.

Bethesda PR and marketing chief Pete Hines suggested users report mods believed to have stolen content.

circ

Arcane
That thing's working so well. An example. Mod creator has his work stolen and uploaded to bethesda.net. Mod creator is unaware someone stole and repackaged their content and uploads the mod they created to bethesda.net. Creator of stolen mod reports creator of original mod for uploading their own work. Original mod creator's mod is taken down.

Meanwhile a few days ago Bethesda released a new beta patch. Most of the fixes pertain to the mod handler caked in FO4. Some optimization, but no word of broken quests fixed.

Everytime I see someone cosplaying Fallout I immediately think they are paid shills to promote Bethesda games. Rarely I see someone cosplaying something from New Vegas
Every dweeb and their grandma has cosplayed an NCR ranger vet. I've actually seen more Fallout: NV cosplayers than anything. Legionaries, Cass, Arcade, etc. I've never seen anything from Fallout 3 besides a generic vault suit with some leather on it.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Everytime I see someone cosplaying Fallout I immediately think they are paid shills to promote Bethesda games. Rarely I see someone cosplaying something from New Vegas
Every dweeb and their grandma has cosplayed an NCR ranger vet. I've actually seen more Fallout: NV cosplayers than anything. Legionaries, Cass, Arcade, etc. I've never seen anything from Fallout 3 besides a generic vault suit with some leather on it.

What I always wonder is, if these are Fallout New Vegas fans, where are they on the forums?
I think so far only one cosplayer has ever shown up on NMA.
You can't tell me these people only post on the Bethesda forums if they ever visit a Fallout community.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected

One of prominent modder from nexus had responded regarding reporting mod theft.

https://community.bethesda.net/thread/22955?start=0&tstart=0

Following GStaff's recent post on reporting stolen content we seriously need more answers than a token lawyer's response to a legitimate community concern. Is more information going to be posted soon about what Bethesda hope to do about this serious situation, or was that response all we're going to get?

I ask because it seemingly sets an awful precedent, and seemingly reverses well over 14 years of commonly accepted (and strictly enforced, I'll add) etiquette within "your" very own community.

The inherent problem is in the first two lines:
A number of you have reported instances of users uploading Mod content that allegedly does not belong to the Mod creator. We take these reports seriously and want to protect copyright holders and authors of the Mod content shared on Bethesda.net.

In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we request that anyone who believes their content was wrongfully uploaded to Bethesda.net formally submit a DMCA takedown request. Please Note: These reports should only come from mod authors and other copyright holders who believe their content was stolen.
The first line talks about users (many of whom are not the original authors) reporting stolen content, and that you take these reports seriously. That's good, that's how it should be. The second line talks about mod authors using DMCA reports to report stolen content.

The first line is about community enforcement; where the community has come together to report to you that content has been stolen, against a mod author's express and written permissions. In these instances, you're expected to analyse the reports yourself, confirm that content has indeed been stolen and act accordingly to remove said content and reprimand the violator. You by no means need to be as strict as the Nexus in terms of reprimanding the violator. How you discipline is your prerogative, of course. But the key point is, the community (not just the wronged mod author) reports the content to you, and you handle it in a timely manner.

The second line presents a major caveat, removing the community element from your reporting system and relying on the original mod author/copyright holder being made aware of their content being stolen and jumping through legal hoops to have their work removed. This is a major difference from the system mentioned above and is a serious break away from what the community has stood for and has come to expect.

I won't even go in to how disappointing it is that an official mod distribution platform can be created without serious consideration for how it'll be moderated.

Because the post from GStaff was obviously written by a lawyer type who couldn't give a rats arse about this community, what it's stood for and how it's operated these past 14 years, I wanted to see if we could get some actual answers and try to understand if this is the only way Bethesda are going to deal with stolen content, or whether this a stop-gap measure until you can bring your moderation tools up to scratch (and my god, do they need to be brought up to scratch). If DMCA reports are the only reports you're going to action. That's bad. That's really bad. The inherent problem is that GStaff's post didn't mention anything other than using DMCA to report stolen files. So here are the key questions before everyone loses their marbles and goes (more) mental at you:
  • Are DMCA reports going to be the only method for reporting stolen content? If yes, why?
  • If no, what plans have you got in the pipe-work to help rectify this issue, both on the front-end for people reporting the content, and on the backend to bring Bethesda.net in to the 21st century/the digital age where your moderation is much closer to being global, rather than working on US Eastern office hours, 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday? Your site is global, your community is global, your moderation should be global too!
  • Is there any point in people using the current report system on Bethesda.net to report stolen content when the stolen content isn't theirs to begin with?
  • Please can we have an update on what measures are being taken to help improve the moderation on the site?
I'd like to remind you that when the Far Harbor DLC was released via torrents a full week before the official launch and some muppet uploaded it to Nexus Mods a few days later, it was removed from our site within 2 hours and 20 minutes, despite it being uploaded on a Sunday morning at 3.16AM GMT (or 10.16PM EST time). Indeed, by the time Matt had emailed me asking me to remove it at 1.56PM GMT, the file had already been removed andthe user who uploaded it banned a good 8 hours before hand. We didn't wait for your DMCA to remove it. We removed it because it was the right thing to do. And anyone who's anyone in this community expects you to do the same for the mod authors.

If Nexus Mods can do it (and it doesn't cost us a penny, because all our moderation team are gracious volunteers), so can you.

Please give us more answers about this serious topic.

Thank you.

Bonus, Arthmoor response.

https://community.bethesda.net/message/125919#125919

You planning on giving them more than one day to fix this or will you be bombing Maryland by noon tomorrow if they don't?

Seriously. I get people are pissed about this but come on. Yes, it's a mess, yes, they need to do something about this, but yes, you need to give them the chance to do so. Decisions on this scale DO NOT happen overnight. They have to go through proper approval channels and anyone who has worked a corporate IT project of any sort knows this doesn't happen in a day, or even a week. Especially not when there are a pile of other projects still going on as well.

Going scorched earth will accomplish nothing other than annoying your fans too. If you guys really think Bethesda doesn't care at all, then why would you ever think they'd care if you blow up your mods and stop offering them to anyone at all?

And resorting to calling them childish names won't help either. If you really are to the point of doing that, you've lost already and must have no actual reasoned arguments to make.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just played Blood and Wine and I laugh at Bethseda at how incompetent they are at making interesting games,how they keep getting outskilled by a bunch of Polish cunts paid with bread and water.

My big question for Bethesda would be,where the fuck are all those money going?They sold tens of milions of copies since Morrowind and all their games looks so outdated and voided of content.What the hell are they doing with all those hundreds of milions?

Laughing all the way to the bank with sacks of millions.... People keep buying their products by the MILLIONS...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just played Blood and Wine and I laugh at Bethseda at how incompetent they are at making interesting games,how they keep getting outskilled by a bunch of Polish cunts paid with bread and water.

My big question for Bethesda would be,where the fuck are all those money going?They sold tens of milions of copies since Morrowind and all their games looks so outdated and voided of content.What the hell are they doing with all those hundreds of milions?

Laughing all the way to the bank with sacks of millions.... People keep buying their products by the MILLIONS...

That's why there is no God....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom