Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

pippin

My big question for Bethesda would be,where the fuck are all those money going?They sold tens of milions of copies since Morrowind and all their games looks so outdated and voided of content.What the hell are they doing with all those hundreds of milions?

Marketing.
They managed to get an actual hype train for FO4. A real train with FO4's stuff on it.

Athelas

Arcane
I just played Blood and Wine and I laugh at Bethseda at how incompetent they are at making interesting games,how they keep getting outskilled by a bunch of Polish cunts paid with bread and water.
True, the Witcher 3's elaborate level scaling system would put even Oblivion to shame.

circ

Arcane
I'm sure someone else can actually answer properly but here are some reasons anyway.

Bethesda is actually a very small studio. Zenimax gets the money I would guess and probably does the marketing as well.
All the actual talent left Bethesda about 20 years ago. The remainder (some talent) left around the time of Morrowind.
The remaining personnel is aging, complacent and not interested in actually learning new things.
Their development team is actually incompetent - as evidenced by other developers that have worked with them and people who have used their toolsets.

Now something to think about. Fallout 4 got pretty bad review scores all things considered. A few other studios have begun exploring large scale open world games. Bethesda's next showing had better be something exceptional because they can't keep this up for much longer. A lot of the reputation and goodwill they've built up over the years is eroding now with console modding fuck ups and PC modding ignorance. They're probably aware of this, and my guess would be that they'll start acquiring more IPs and do more publishing.

hknt

Literate
Bethesda's next showing had better be something exceptional because they can't keep this up for much longer. A lot of the reputation and goodwill they've built up over the years is eroding now with console modding fuck ups and PC modding ignorance. They're probably aware of this, and my guess would be that they'll start acquiring more IPs and do more publishing.
Probably, but not anytime soon. Copying other successful games elements seems to work for them so far, just look how Far Habor got better user scores simply because they keep mixing in more into the pot, including that weird minecraft/portal hybrid part. Most negative feedback I see comes from performance issues, so they can keep this up quite long. My guess there'll be at least one more "fallout" game before switching to something else.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bethesda's next showing had better be something exceptional because they can't keep this up for much longer. A lot of the reputation and goodwill they've built up over the years is eroding now with console modding fuck ups and PC modding ignorance. They're probably aware of this, and my guess would be that they'll start acquiring more IPs and do more publishing.
Probably, but not anytime soon. Copying other successful games elements seems to work for them so far, just look how Far Habor got better user scores simply because they keep mixing in more into the pot, including that weird minecraft/portal hybrid part. Most negative feedback I see comes from performance issues, so they can keep this up quite long. My guess there'll be at least one more "fallout" game before switching to something else.
also their audience has shifted immensely, and to be honest, the core RPG audience doesnt bring as much money as the stupid, trigger happy kids that's willing to buy anything as long there's gun inside the game

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Remember: there are people out there who'll complain about how the RPG elements of the older Fallout games (yes, even Fallout 3) made them 'boring', and yet are content spending literally tens of hours doing nothing but wandering around shooting trash mobs and getting identical loot and fiddling around with the nonsensical and non-consequential minecraft settlement building.

typical user

Arbiter
Everytime I see someone cosplaying Fallout I immediately think they are paid shills to promote Bethesda games. Rarely I see someone cosplaying something from New Vegas and literallly nothing from original games. How can you make a cosplay of a shitty game? Does Fallout really have this wide audience for cosplays? Maybe they are all legitimate but still I think it looks fake. How can you like a game where you just loot trash in same locations? Warhammer, StarCraft, League of Legends, Dota, Stalker, all of those have some artistic thought, Fallout 3 and 4 are terribly mimicking Fallout 1 and 2 so why I don't see someone in blue jumpsuit with 13 on his back? Why they promote those bad games?

hknt

Literate
Choosing Children of Atom as a main faction shows just how much Bethesda can recycle and still get a positive reception. First they present them as cardboard villain wackos, nothing more than parody characters. And suddenly they're a group you can side with - why would anyone, ever? They're already established as deranged maniacs, there's no incentive to agree or sympathize with them. And then DiMA and Captain trying to make you feel bad for getting rid of them - SO MUCH CRINGE. There's literally nothing redeeming about them, the island should be thanking you. You can see they tried to pull a New Vegas with grey zone meaningful faction choices, but missed the point as per usual. Beth is undeniably a master of print screen - because they get money despite a constantly sloppy job.

Last edited by a moderator:

circ

Arcane
Yeah. And they tried to defend it even after it's established that CoA has brainwashed and kidnapped people from Far Harbor in the past. They're just trying to get along with us, everyone has a right to co-exist even genocidal cultists! And when the CoA leader has no issues themselves with blowing FH the shit up.

Zerginfestor

Learned
The entire logic when it comes to CoA and why DiMA defends them is fucking baffling. "They're the only group that welcomed us, just because their religion is strange, doesn't mean we should kill them!" Uh, no, DiMA, their religion is not just strange, it's completely fucking dangerous, a group that believes in killing others with radiation is one of couple ways they can only 'save' the blasphemers, the other forcing them into their doctrine and making them one of their own. They're paranoid, the leaders get power-hungry, and their 'missionary movements' are literally just full on assault teams shooting Gamma radiation at innocent people. They should be destroyed when given the chance, seeing as they don't appear to sway from their religion.

Epsilon

Cipher
Everytime I see someone cosplaying Fallout I immediately think they are paid shills to promote Bethesda games. Rarely I see someone cosplaying something from New Vegas and literallly nothing from original games. How can you make a cosplay of a shitty game? Does Fallout really have this wide audience for cosplays? Maybe they are all legitimate but still I think it looks fake. How can you like a game where you just loot trash in same locations? Warhammer, StarCraft, League of Legends, Dota, Stalker, all of those have some artistic thought, Fallout 3 and 4 are terribly mimicking Fallout 1 and 2 so why I don't see someone in blue jumpsuit with 13 on his back? Why they promote those bad games?
Bethesda don't care about the lore of their games, this has been proven many times over with recent iterations of both Elder scrolls and Fallout. And subsequently, to be a fan of those games. You have to either be willing to completely forgo the story in the games and just run around mindlessly killing things, but then why not play something thats better at that?. Or you don't care about lore or the established universe either.
I don't think it'll be long before Bethesda announces the Fallout universe has been 'rebooted' and the two original titles never happened.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Bethesda don't care about the lore of their games, this has been proven many times over with recent iterations of both Elder scrolls and Fallout. And subsequently, to be a fan of those games. You have to either be willing to completely forgo the story in the games and just run around mindlessly killing things, but then why not play something thats better at that?. Or you don't care about lore or the established universe either.
I don't think it'll be long before Bethesda announces the Fallout universe has been 'rebooted' and the two original titles never happened.

I'd say they care about the elder scrolls quite a bit though, it's just that the elder scrolls universe doesn't have a proper idea of what is canon. Also, it's been made clear before that every elder scrolls game is just a historical recount that may of been subject to editing by some unknown party.

In terms of Fallout: You can argue their changes are bad, terrible even, but I don't see any real errors they've made. They've retconned a few things, but it's their IP now so they're allowed to do that. Unless there's something I'm not aware.

Epsilon

Cipher

I'd say they care about the elder scrolls quite a bit though, it's just that the elder scrolls universe doesn't have a proper idea of what is canon. Also, it's been made clear before that every elder scrolls game is just a historical recount that may of been subject to editing by some unknown party.

In terms of Fallout: You can argue their changes are bad, terrible even, but I don't see any real errors they've made. They've retconned a few things, but it's their IP now so they're allowed to do that. Unless there's something I'm not aware.
Where to start? I suppose first of all there's the monetary system employed in Fallout 3 and 4. The bottle caps.
The system of trading with bottle caps was first started and used by the traders of The Hub on the west coast, it's unlikely that it would've spread as far as the east coast, in the time allowed. Speaking of spreading that far. What about the super mutants? They have no reason for being on the east coast either, and certainly not as numerous as they are.
And why is it that many of the super mutants in Fallout and Fallout 2 were intelligent? you could even reason with them.
In Fallout 3 and 4 they're nothing but pseudo-orcs who want nothing but to murder and maim and collect "gore bags". Thats not at all how they were established in the original games, they had purpose and reason for doing what they did, why would they suddenly turn around and become something like what they're portrayed as in Fallout 3 and 4.

It was also clearly established that the FEV was a "shifting-absorptive megavirus" that due to it's transformative properties and rewriting of the genetic genome completely transforms and cures the victim of any illnesses the victim might have contracted in the wasteland, including cancer from radiation poisoning. But in Fallout 4 we learn that "The Institute" has developed a "cure" for FEV, that can reverse the effects of the virus. This effectively means that they can cure anything with FEV, due to being able to completely reverse the ill effects that it causes.
But after having had this developed they seemingly shut down the "FEV Lab" and left the cure there. It's also revealed that The Institutes director is dying of cancer, despite being made the director due to having 'clean genes' without any mutations caused by radiation. So not only do they have the cure to cure their director, they also have the cure to cure him of the ill effects that it would cause. And this is the same guy they all speak of in reverence, the same guy they based all their third generation 'synths' on. But they forgot that they can cure him, and probably the director would know what they've developed over time and what resources are available to them, but he forgot as well.

Concerning artificial intelligence, it's established in Fallout 1, 2 and even 3. That if you have an artificial intelligence, it's a big fucking databank, that takes up a lot of space. But in Fallout 4 anything can have an artificial intelligence, even a mister handy. That was never inside the institute or was upgraded with their "advanced" tech.

In the original games The Brotherhood of Steel is this reluctant faction that only allows you access to their bunkers after having sent you on a suicide mission, that you, despite their best efforts, survive. Then you learn that the Brotherhood of Steel not only wants to preserve old age tech, they're also creating new tech based off ideas from pre-war technology.
Their most holy ideals concern the preservation of all advanced tech, both for the future, but also to ensure that it can never be used again by anyone who doesn't understand the implications of it. You get to talk with General Maxson, the alleged Founder of the Brotherhood, and these ideals.
In Fallout 3 the brotherhood of steel is this joke of a faction that just wants to 'rescue' the wasteland. It's full of goodie-two-shoe non personalities. But a few years after the events of Fallout 3 where the Brotherhood saves the wasteland of D.C from the enclave that wants to kill all mutants.
The leader of the eastern Brotherhood dies, and a new leader is elected, by the same people who fought the enclave for reasons previously stated. They elect a leader who wants nothing more than to destroy all advanced tech and purge the wasteland of all mutants. And he's Maxson's great-great-great-grandchild.

And another issue, new power armor keeps on cropping up with each new installment of Fallout. Despite it being established that power armor production was only kicking into gear when the war started, that's what makes it so rare. Not a lot of it was ever made, never mind the time they'd have to spend on research and development to iterate upon it.

There's many more issues, but I don't feel like going on, it makes me sad to think about it.

typical user

Arbiter

They've put kid in fridge who survived without defecation, water, and food for 200 years. They've put cultists miraculously immune to radiation and who aren't ghouls - I can understand phenomenon of one person but hundreds of people? Jet is now a pre-war drug not post-war narcotic discovered by Myron. All Power Armors operate now on fusion cores which won't last a week opposed to built in reactors which can power them for 200 years. It would make more sense to have suits with depleted reactors needing very hard repair process and finding a new one but they chose to make a game mechanic to justify placement of first suit at the beginning of their game. They've abandoned most weapons designed by Black Isles and created their own energy weapons which look like water-guns with junk strapped into them. You can find unspoiled food after 200 years. After 200 years people haven't created anything more sophisticated than metal shacks. After 200 years people still scavange pre-war food, drugs, ammunition. In Fallout 3 no one cared about lack of clean water and it was made as core plot to produce not irradiated water from river but player's dad was an idiot and chose the most ineffective solution which included GECK - a device more useful elsewhere but Bethesda being Bethesda had to shoehorn it hoping it would please old fans. You have a dog in Fo4 who can miraculously track people miles away with their smell left on a object few weeks ago. People in their games have problem with synths or dragons but don't care for supermutants or undead surrounding their town.

Last edited:
In terms of Nazi Germany: You can argue their changes are bad, terrible even, but I don't see any real errors they've made. They've retconned a few things, but it's their country now so they're allowed to do that. Unless there's something I'm not aware.

:troll:

vean

Scholar
There's some extreme nitpicking going on here.

Come on this a game series where one of the core ideas is that radiation makes you an immortal zombie and traders use bottle caps instead of establishing a system of credit and tons of other haphazardly throw together nonsense ideas.

Space Insect

Arcane

Come on this a game series where one of the core ideas is that radiation makes you an immortal zombie and traders use bottle caps instead of establishing a system of credit and tons of other haphazardly throw together nonsense ideas.

circ

Arcane

I don't think you know what you know. It's not nitpicking to point out that Bethesda can't stay consistent or that their own lore is poorly realized and so doesn't make sense in the established universe.

Todd will break the rules because it's AWESOME. Too few power armors in the game? Fuck that. Everyone gets power armor. Not a big enough explosion? Fuck that. Here's a nuke launcher.

vean

Scholar
I don't think you know what you know. It's not nitpicking to point out that Bethesda can't stay consistent or that their own lore is poorly realized and so doesn't make sense in the established universe.

Todd will break the rules because it's AWESOME. Too few power armors in the game? Fuck that. Everyone gets power armor. Not a big enough explosion? Fuck that. Here's a nuke launcher.
Let's assume that that's true - what's the value of staying consistent with the lore when the lore is a random combination of garbage ideas anyway?

circ

Arcane
The point is - random though it may be, it's consistent enough to build a believable world. When you introduce new elements with no thought other than - WOULDNT IT BE AWSUM? - you break that world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom