Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lemming42

Arcane
Everyone being bisexual is kinda silly, but the romance options are only there to get people to obsess over the probably otherwise-completely-boring companions. It's impossible to have an engaging romantic story in a videogame so might as well just go all out and make it a bisexual love-fest, it saves modders the extra 5 seconds of work it would have taken to remove the gender flags and Todd gets to bask in the glow of being progressive and LGBT-friendly.

Jozoz

Prophet
1b0f3efd4d0362f9b20960542dd477f3

Here's another snippet of Reddit.

This is one of the biggest straw man arguments I have ever seen, but I honestly saw it coming. It's gonna take great power not to call him a retard.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
Why would the bisexuality bit make it cheap? The whole thing is cheap.

People criticise all the prostitution in video games, but realistically over the time periods games take place, that's the only way any character is getting laid. Is any player going to sit still for hours of getting to know you chit-chat in an RPG? As for marriage, the shotgun wedding in Fallout 2 is the only way that's ever going to make sense. It cheapens the whole game when you can just hand an NPC ten bear pelts and she swoons and declares herself yours forever.

Who is this "romancing" crap even for? Are there really people who see the ability to declare yourself married to some plastic-faced, vapid talking mannequin as a selling point?

pippin

Who is this "romancing" crap even for? Are there really people who see the ability to declare yourself married to some plastic-faced, vapid talking mannequin as a selling point?

Mainstream people think "rpg" means "extensive customization". That only includes cosmetic elements, however, like clothes, voice sets, and romances, among other things. Then there's the waifu crowd who want that kind of stuff in games to enjoy it unironically. I do agree with your post, because while modern games promote romances, they won't even try to include elements like STDs or loyalty as game-changing elements. Even DA:O had this thing where you would unlock abilities for your characters as your relationship with them advanced. It's not that hard to make it a true gameplay element, but we're talking about a game with mainstream aspirations, so there's not much we can do with this other than wait for mods, in true Bethesda fashion.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You got the point , however , I toyed with mods for quite a while and they don't fix the game for me . You see mod makers can't fix fundamentally broken things ( engine , lore , dialogues , mechanics ) , some of them try , but it's either done badly or decently , but the game still feels flawed for me . Bethesda's games are bugged and this heavily affects gameplay with mods , it's the game instability I am talking about .
So now you only play flawless games? I'd love to see that list.

likaq

Arcane
Benny, the reason I disliked Fallout's combat is because it feels derivative and inappropriate for the setting. The game gives you a very limited array of abilities, which are all just shallow attacks. This feels inappropriate for turn based combat, which is supposed to have the player making tactical and creative choices in order to win.Other turn based games are much more strategic, and force the player to make more demanding decisions. Once again, I love turn based combat when it is done right (X:COM 2 is my most hyped title this year,) but the issue is that Fallout's choice of gameplay feels more dictated by the norms of that gaming era rather than an intuitive decision made by the developers. I would actualy consider the last two Fallout games to have *much* deeper and more creative combat, however controversial that may sound.

^
New gem from fallout 1 steam forum.

:flamesaw:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh. Can't say I really disagree with the guy. The choice between crappy turn-based combat and crappy FPS combat isn't a thrilling one. Does anyone here really think that Fallout's combat was a masterpiece? It's down to whether you prefer cute sprite animations of rats exploding or kewl 3D cinematic killcams. The combat system isn't exactly first on the list of why Fallout is better than Fallout 3.

Lemming42

Arcane
One of the most consistently annoying things in the universe is people ripping on Fallout's combat because they wanted to play a tactics game instead.

Not that the combat's particularly great, but it does everything it has to and it's a perfect example of style over substance done well.

Inspectah

Savant
The dude may even have a point, but talking about turn based combat and then saying xcom did it right removes any kind of credibility he might have had

Jozoz

Prophet
I don't disagree that Fallout 1 and 2 had meh combat, but saying that the newer ones have *much deeper* combat is just false.

They're both mediocre in their own ways. The newer games' combat can get pretty good with the right mods though.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The good thing with the 10 perks for every attribute design is that it provides a reason to go all the way to 10 in each attribute.

The bad thing is that it's needlessly categorized, and the aforemented incentive could have been better achieved in other ways. I mean, how many worthwhile Charisma-themed perks can Bethesda come up with? Where would you put a fun perk like Cannibal - END 7 because you can stomach eating human flesh, AGI 5 because you swallow it before you throw up, LCK 2 because you happen to like the taste? Where would something like Fight the Power! or Cowboy go?

Zombra

Patron
One of the most consistently annoying things in the universe is people ripping on Fallout's combat because they wanted to play a tactics game instead.
I'd say it's about on the same level as ripping on Fallout 3's combat because they wanted to play a dedicated FPS instead.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd say it's about on the same level as ripping on Fallout 3's combat because they wanted to play a dedicated FPS instead.

Well, good ole Bethie has listened to those people and refurbished their FPS design. Not so far from a dedicated shooter anymore.

Like I've read around the webz: "The tech is finally there for Fallout to be what it was always meant to be."

:troll:

Mech

Cipher
The dude may even have a point, but talking about turn based combat and then saying xcom did it right removes any kind of credibility he might have had
Which XCOM? Because if you are talking about the new one, then you are a retard because that is the best implementation of turn-based combat that actually has a chance of succeeding in the market place and getting subsequently approved upon.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Hmmm. Since skills are now perks, that means that either the game now only has seven "skills" (one for each attribute, the score 1 perk) or that dumping an attribute can actually prevent you from having certain skills entirely. So like maybe a guy whose INT is really low can never learn to hack if Science is a score 2+ perk.

I wonder how this interacts with stuff that boosts your SPECIAL attributes.

These are reasonable questions. Questions that Bethesda conveniently leaves out when discussing the game instead choosing to focus on relationships with the companions, combat, and goofy outfits.

As far as the combat comments go. Xcom had better combat than Wasteland 2. At least until they release the patch that makes the game how it should have been at launch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom