Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Giskard

Augur
Just saw this at Fallout 4 Forums http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1528556-perks-have-special-requirements-confirmed-quakecon-report/

Todd Howard said Perks every level.

When you level up, you go to the Perk Chart on your Pipboy.
The chart was shown briefly hanging on the garage and is in your pipboy.
The header row lists each Special Stat.
There are 10 perks listed under each one listed as 1 through 10.

What ever your rating in a Special Stat determines which perks you can take.
Have 4 in all seven Special Stats then you can chose from the the first through 4th rows on each stat.
Most perks can be taken more than once.
If you stat is not high enough then the perk is greyed out.

There are no level requirements.
To take Sniper (a Perception Perk on the ninth row), you have to have a nine in Perception.
So you start with a nine In Perception, you can start the game with Sniper.
This makes sense if the Sole Survivor is a vet.

There are 70 base stats and most of them but not all have four ranks.
So the Science Perk has Science Rank 1 through Science Rank 4.
Tod Howard said with all the Perk ranks there were something like a 170 perks total.

He said they found limiting what perks you can take by your Special Stats makes the Sole Survivor very unique with vary different play styles.

Discuss!!!

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
When the game comes out, someone please dump the list of names from the data files.
I want to do a dramatic reading of all 1000. It'll be more damning than any review could possibly be of this shit show.

I think the names are going to reflect market research on their target demographic.

Could be more interesting than people might expect.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
To take Sniper (a Perception Perk on the ninth row), you have to have a nine in Perception.
:thumbsup:

Giskard

Augur
A few more tidbits... http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/24/90...ns-upgrades-special-customization-progression

Some higlights from the article:

The 10-minute demo featured countless firefights, gory executions and exploration to recount in full, but here are some of the highlights:

• The demo showcased a ton of different weapons, from sniper rifles to wind-up laser shotguns to the returning "Fat Man," a mini-nuke launcher. They all look and behave differently, and the makeshift weapons are particularly eye-catching — one rifle featured a player-made scope that was simply a short section of pipe with two screws drilled into its sides, forming a crude focal point.
  • In the 10 minutes this demo ran, I'd estimate maybe a dozen heads exploded. I wasn't sure if it was ramped up for the QuakeCon crowd, but it certainly seemed like the Bloody Mess perk was in full effect.
  • There are some familiar ways of getting around and interacting with the world that don't involve bashing someone's head in. During the demo, the player activated a helpful security bot by hacking into a computer terminal, who dealt with his foes for him. Stealth is also a viable option, letting you sneak around foes or get the drop on them.
  • The lockpick system looked identical to how it functioned in Fallout 3.
  • Pitting different enemy factions against one another seems like it's going to play a big role in your survival in Fallout 4. At one point the demo, the player watched as the Brotherhood of Steel, a band of Raiders and a few unlucky Ghouls fought among themselves.
  • Your dog companion arches his back and growls when enemies are near, making him a particularly handy alarm for Ghouls, who will try to get the drop on you from ceilings and through windows.
  • Radiation seems to have a much more direct effect on the player in Fallout 4 — the more radiation you're exposed to, the more your maximum health is reduced, until you can purge it from your system.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm. Since skills are now perks, that means that either the game now only has seven "skills" (one for each attribute, the score 1 perk) or that dumping an attribute can actually prevent you from having certain skills entirely. So like maybe a guy whose INT is really low can never learn to hack if Science is a score 2+ perk.

I wonder how this interacts with stuff that boosts your SPECIAL attributes.

Last edited:

likaq

Arcane
or that dumping an attribute can actually prevent you from having certain skills entirely

It is 2015 AAA game made by beth. Are you insane? :)
There is no way that they will prevent you from having certain skills entirely just because you don't have high enough in attribute x.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Just saw this at Fallout 4 Forums http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1528556-perks-have-special-requirements-confirmed-quakecon-report/

Todd Howard said Perks every level.

When you level up, you go to the Perk Chart on your Pipboy.
The chart was shown briefly hanging on the garage and is in your pipboy.
The header row lists each Special Stat.
There are 10 perks listed under each one listed as 1 through 10.

What ever your rating in a Special Stat determines which perks you can take.
Have 4 in all seven Special Stats then you can chose from the the first through 4th rows on each stat.
Most perks can be taken more than once.
If you stat is not high enough then the perk is greyed out.

There are 70 base stats and most of them but not all have four ranks.
So the Science Perk has Science Rank 1 through Science Rank 4.
Tod Howard said with all the Perk ranks there were something like a 170 perks total.

He said they found limiting what perks you can take by your Special Stats makes the Sole Survivor very unique with vary different play styles.

Discuss!!!
They removed skill points, and they are using perks instead.

So you take sniper at level 1 and then crit crit crit...

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
They removed skill points, and they are using perks instead.

So you take sniper at level 1 and then crit crit crit...

You can expect it to be an even dumber version of skyrim's skill trees. You'll have to have at least one point in all the previous tier skills in that line before you can take the tier nine skill.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Pitting different enemy factions against one another seems like it's going to play a big role in your survival in Fallout 4. At one point the demo, the player watched as the Brotherhood of Steel, a band of Raiders and a few unlucky Ghouls fought among themselves.

This sounds nice. It actualy what was in fallout 1/2 where you would meet a random encounter and patrols from different factions would fight each other.

Sjukob

Arcane
Look , I am generally slow at some things and I read this topic rather inattentively , but people who post here give me an impression that they are actually going to install the game , may be even buy it . Are you seriously going to do that ? Donwload it on your pc and launch the .exe file , how reasonable is that ? Looks like nobody here has any illusions about quality of Bethesda's games , yet I am not sure in your motives . Did I misunderstood something , am I wrong ?

darthaegis

Cipher
I'll buy it when the GOTY edition is at 10€ like I did with Skyrim, but there are a lot of people who preordered already most likely.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
A lot of people who even hate Bethesda will buy it simply because of the modding support. Regardless, the codex will still shit on this game, however, I can see a slight chance through the released info and from the improvements they've made that perhaps this game may surprise the codex.

Lemming42

Arcane
Look , I am generally slow at some things and I read this topic rather inattentively , but people who post here give me an impression that they are actually going to install the game , may be even buy it . Are you seriously going to do that ? Donwload it on your pc and launch the .exe file , how reasonable is that ? Looks like nobody here has any illusions about quality of Bethesda's games , yet I am not sure in your motives . Did I misunderstood something , am I wrong ?

Eagerly awaiting your first impressions after the Day-1-purchase

Sjukob

Arcane
A lot of people who even hate Bethesda will buy it simply because of the modding support. Regardless, the codex will still shit on this game, however, I can see a slight chance through the released info and from the improvements they've made that perhaps this game may surprise the codex.
You got the point , however , I toyed with mods for quite a while and they don't fix the game for me . You see mod makers can't fix fundamentally broken things ( engine , lore , dialogues , mechanics ) , some of them try , but it's either done badly or decently , but the game still feels flawed for me . Bethesda's games are bugged and this heavily affects gameplay with mods , it's the game instability I am talking about .

Eagerly awaiting your first impressions after the Day-1-purchase
There will be none . I am here just to generate hatred towards Bethesda and read other messages that mock them . In fact , I don't even know the release date .

Jozoz

Prophet
Does this mean every character is automatically bisexual?

That's a really lazy and cheap move. What about different characters with different sexualities as part of their character? That's how Veronica and Arcade Gannon were handled in New Vegas and it worked great.

I really hope this is not the case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom