Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: the Technopaladins

Section8

Cipher
One thing I disagree is the idealists vs nihlists comparison. I see it more as idealists vs pragmatists.The outcasts realize that helping the locals in the long run won't mean a thing.I believe,all things being equal,the outcasts want to help the locals they understand that they can't fight everyones battles for them.It is sink or swim time for humanity.If you give them food they give you a gun and tell you to point the noisy end towards the bad guy and wish you good luck but that is the extant of thier generosity.

Sorry, I didn't explain this properly. My "nihilists" are the Super Mutants, who admittedly haven't been talked about in depth. However, every mention of them seems to paint them in the light of mindless aggressors and enemies for the sake of having enemies.

But that's not entirely fair. There's no saying what role the Enclave will play (though my money would be on thme being somehow responsible for the Super Mutants, thereby reducing Fallout's two main "evil factions" into a single source of pantomime evil) and there is of course the "Outcasts" who are as you say, pragmatists. I just hope they have more depth than simply being "tomb raiders" out to loot pre-war tech.

Would this be a fair evaluation of the BoS mindset?

They're not quite that selfish, and they're not unified in their views. They're happy to fight battles they believe they can win at minimal cost, and their technology enables them to earn dominant victories against enemies beyond the means of regular wastelanders, so in some respects they are protectors.

Yet when it came to the mutant threat, they were reluctant to believe there was an army amassing, and very reluctant to commit toward any offensive action. Without the Vault Dweller's influence and persuasion, it's unlikely the BOS would have done anything but defend the Lost Hills Bunker to their grim demise. There was a certain amount of division in the BOS ranks, but probably not as much as you'd expect from the seemingly regular schisms in at least three (not necessarily released) Fallout games.

Also has there ever been a discuussion of the BoS goals past survival(I bet that one is pretty high on everyones list in the wastelands)
Such as
Become the teachers and guides for humanity when the time is right.
Become a Machiavellian power behind the throne who controls the power structure
To create a Utopian society for them and them alone
I ask because it seems they have an agenda beyond basic survival and was wondering if it has been mentioned anywhere.

I'm sure there has been at some point, but I don't remember seeing one here. It's definitely worth reading The Vault, since it has some good summaries of what is "known" from previous games.

Ausir

Arcane
There was a certain amount of division in the BOS ranks, but probably not as much as you'd expect from the seemingly regular schisms in at least three (not necessarily released) Fallout games.

Well, there was already a schism pretty early on, when Allen's people left to explore the Glow.

{1111}{Cab_64}{Oh, well, in the Exodus, the Brotherhood split into two groups. The
group that broke away robbed the others of some of the weapons
an-and went southwest. About ten years ago, we sent out knights to
look for them, but all they found was ruins. No one knows what
happened.}

I'm sure there has been at some point, but I don't remember seeing one here. It's definitely worth reading The Vault, since it has some good summaries of what is "known" from previous games.

According to ACE:

{221}{}{The Brotherhood of Steel is a paramilitary organization dedicated to the salvation of mankind through the proper use of technology. All other information is classified.}

Matt:

{122}{}{At one time we were the sole bastions of technology left on the planet. We set ourselves up as what could best be called 'technology police.' We hoarded the old knowledge and only doled it out in small parcels. Of course, it was only to those who we felt deserved it and had the wisdom to properly use it.}

Vree:

{1103}{Vree303}{The only salvation this tortured planet and its people have.
Without us, humanity is sure to perish.}

Tharkin

Novice
Thanks Section8 and Ausir.I am heading to the vault now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom