Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: the Technopaladins

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
aries202 said:
Slightly off topic: I still don't get the idea with our leaving Vault 101 looking for Qui-Gong, ehm, I mean your Father.

I don't know why but I'm rather optimistic here that Bethesda are going to provide a real reason in game.
And I really hope it will be stronger than "your beloved father has gone missing. search him." ... Perhaps I don't want to love my father and decide to hate him... and therefor hunt him dawn. bwahahaha.... :twisted:

Texas Red

Whiner
I don't remember, was the Father a rugged, handsome scientist or was he something, you know, real?

Tharkin

Novice
There is an awful lot of conjecture from an outline.It is like reading the cliffs notes version of LotR and saying the story has no depth.

You know exacly one person has broken from BoS doctrine.OMG the BoS are "good" guys now.

From the outline given explain to me what the motivations are of those that stayed behind are.

Some have stated that is unrealistic to send a contingent of soldiers across country to recover what is(or may be in)the DC area.If it is a cache of laser rifles I agree.But you,like me,have no idea what is (or could be) there.Therefore you and I do not have enough info to make a judgement on if it is worth it.

I believe a part of this is some of the FO fans trying to live up to the legend of the FO fan(I hate this more than you No I hate it more than you ad nauseum) but you should not abandon basic reading comprehension to make a point.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
GhanBuriGhan said:
My IQ has little to do with it. Look, I am resigned to the fact that this is not an actual sequel to Fallout.
Given that you keep invoking the issue of being an "actual" sequel of Fallout despite being completely and utterly unrelated to my post, I have to assume a mental defect of some sort is responsible. It also seems that by Bethesda's own words Fallout 3 will be smaller and considerably less of a sandbox than Oblivion. You further have no reason to expect or even hope for anything that's well thought out, not if you read this preview.

Last not least, you may want to look up "dumb" in the dictionary. You can have a genius' IQ and still be dumb, and you are. That's a fact. FACT. Stop denying the truth!

Why do you hate America?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
The only thing I'm sure is that Ork's are going to be really EVIL, no I mean E-V-I-L. And really, really dumb - so dumb that your gonne wonder "How the hell do they know how to use does rifles/laserguns?"

the_Consumer

Novice
The supermutants aren't evil, they belonged to the renegade pacifist faction, that defied the master, and headed east on a quest for peace, but they got mind-controlled by the enclave with the secret mind-controlling device found under the pentagon. So the moral dilemma will be: will you kill the poor slave mutants, or you help them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the_Consumer said:
The supermutants aren't evil, they belonged to the renegade pacifist faction, that defied the master, and headed east on a quest for peace, but they got mind-controlled by the enclave with the secret mind-controlling device found under the pentagon. So the moral dilemma will be: will you kill the poor slave mutants, or you help them.

No, the Enclave's radio program is the thing that mind-controls the mutants.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hay guys, something just popped into my mind 'cos you mention the radio again.

I recently played Stalker again, and was reminded of the PDA's inbuilt frequency scanner or whatever it's called.
Basically, it's the same idea Bethesda used. Proof that Beth is utterly devoid of creativity and original thought?

Bradylama

Arcane
But you,like me,have no idea what is (or could be) there.Therefore you and I do not have enough info to make a judgement on if it is worth it.

Well here's a bit of reasoning: why would the military store a cache of super secret tech under the most public face of their hierarchy? Why would it be in the capital of the country, which would likely be nuclear warhead target #1?

If the Brotherhood really was desperate to get their hands on some technology there are plenty of places near NCR that they could go to, they don't have to trek all the way across a continent risking unknown dangers on the chance that there might be something super sweet.

And yeah, maybe they did know that something super sweet would be in DC, but that brings us back to the first problem, which is why the Military or the US Government would leave their McGuffin Device in the capital. It's just dumb, regardless of whatever reasoning they come up with.

kris

Arcane
Naked Ninja said:
14 year old me feels really hurt right now.

14 years old and Emo, 2 times a loser.

jk ;)

But your point was close to home really. This thing and some other things I heard sound like something i would have done with this material... when I was 14.

Section8

Cipher
Tharkin said:
There is an awful lot of conjecture from an outline.It is like reading the cliffs notes version of LotR and saying the story has no depth.

Nobody is talking about the depth here, we're talking about plot outlines that are either nonsensical within context of Fallout, or simply poor literary devices. Imagine reading a plot summary of LOTR like this:

Hobbits are really courageous. Like, they're all amazingly brave. Two of them, and their seven year old daugher, Gollum, set out across the forbidding wasteland and threw a ring into Mount Doom. While deep in the heart of Mordor, they found that people were being horribly oppressed, so they set up the Citadel of Doom and dedicated themselves toward protecting the innocent people and finding the source of the Orcs.

Kinda sucks, yeah?

You know exacly one person has broken from BoS doctrine.OMG the BoS are "good" guys now.

Exactly one person... who happens to be the commanding officer. And interestingly enough - "Most of Elder Lyons’ soldiers supported his dedication to the people of the Capital Wasteland, and were proud of their leader’s commitment to honor and heroism."

Oops.

From the outline given explain to me what the motivations are of those that stayed behind are.

They forgot to set their nuclear alarm clocks and overslept.

Some have stated that is unrealistic to send a contingent of soldiers across country to recover what is(or may be in)the DC area.If it is a cache of laser rifles I agree.But you,like me,have no idea what is (or could be) there.Therefore you and I do not have enough info to make a judgement on if it is worth it.

Of course, if you're the author of such a tale you can invent any deus ex machina to make it worthwhile. That doesn't make that plot device reasonable or interesting. Nobody is saying "Zomg, there's nothing worthwhile, why they go?" People are saying - it's a stupid plot device to have the military's administration centre packed with high-tech supar seckrit weapons. Others are saying - it's a stupid plot device for a notoriously isolationist community to suddenly decide to go dig up the national treasure.

I believe a part of this is some of the FO fans trying to live up to the legend of the FO fan(I hate this more than you No I hate it more than you ad nauseum) but you should not abandon basic reading comprehension to make a point.

Nobody is abandoning reading comprehension here. But nor are we from the school of thought that says "you can't possibly make predictions about anything ever." Read between the lines. And while you're at it - read the lines themselves.

Bradylama said:
Well here's a bit of reasoning: why would the military store a cache of super secret tech under the most public face of their hierarchy? Why would it be in the capital of the country, which would likely be nuclear warhead target #1?

It doesn't have to be weapons. You could justify it more plausibly by having them discover information there. The question is whether Bethesda goes with that route or not.

As for the debate that has been going on about what kind of organisation the Brotherhood of Steel is, my personal opinion of the matter is that they're not a 'knightly' order in the sense of being overly concerned with chivalry - you know, being all holy and protective of the weak, polite to the ladies and all that. But ultimately the issue is beside the point - the real question is whether you will be given the choice in-game to determine what the organisation will be like. As some posters have mentioned, the Brotherhood that you come across initially could simply reflect the values of a particular splinter group or certain individuals.

Section8 said:

Exactly one person... who happens to be the commanding officer. And interestingly enough - "Most of Elder Lyons’ soldiers supported his dedication to the people of the Capital Wasteland, and were proud of their leader’s commitment to honor and heroism."

Oops.

Yeah that sounds a bit cheesy, but again, this isn't necessarily an irreparable problem. There are any number of plot devices which could allow the player to change the situation - the junior officers want a more isolationist, technology-focused approach consistent with Brotherhood doctrine, or alternatively you're simply a devious bastard who wants to get rid of the old guard and use the power of the Brotherhood for your own ends. The final question is whether the faction quest lines will be a railroaded, linear affair without choices as in Oblivion, or something more akin to...Fallout.

The_Pope

Scholar
The knights of the nine couldn't possibly be searching for information. Information is for learning, and learning is boooooooooooring. Maybe they could be blowing up schools to give children extra holidays so they can play their xboxes more!

Thats what true knights would do.

Tharkin

Novice
section 8

Depends on what group is proud of Lyons.If it is the locals brought into the BoS command I think they might be pretty happy with his actions.

If it part of the original contingent maybe he has a Col. Kurtz,Heart of Darkness situation going on.

Maybe being away from the bastion of BoS dogma and seeing the scale of the degradation and deplorable conditions changed a few minds.Think of Darfur,sure we know its bad hear the horror stories but if we actually went there do you honestly think it would have no effect on our perspective.

Both sides might be right.The BoS is the best custodian for info and technology.When the time is right they could be the ones to lead humanity back to its feet if they choose to.

The DC BoS is also right.They have the ability to make a difference the question is If not now ,when?Lyons chose now.

You may be entirely right that he is just playing King Arthur.It would be a shame.With what was written it is also possible my scenario is true.There just isn't enough info to support either one.

gc051360

Scholar
kris said:
Naked Ninja said:
14 year old me feels really hurt right now.

14 years old and Emo, 2 times a loser.

jk ;)

But your point was close to home really. This thing and some other things I heard sound like something i would have done with this material... when I was 14.

Emil writes at a 9th grade level...

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Emil: "I guess you missed the parts where the west coast BoS severed ties with Lyons, and how his non-dogmatic priorities caused a schism that led to many under his command to leave & form the "Outcasts?""

So apparently the outcasts are the equivalent of the West Coast BoS. This East Coast BoS is something entirely different.

Bradylama

Arcane
So, the West Coast cast out Lyon's Pryde, but Lyon's Pryde aren't the outcasts, and the outcasts support the West Coast and :psyduck:

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Bradylama said:
So, the West Coast cast out Lyon's Pryde, but Lyon's Pryde aren't the outcasts, and the outcasts support the West Coast and :psyduck:

Speaking of which, how do they support the West Coast from 3000 miles away?

Helton

Arcane
Commander Lyonidas, from the top of this giant-phallus all that you can see will be your's if only you swear allegiance to Neeson!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom