Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: the Technopaladins

DraQ

Arcane
Elhoim said:
Well, it would be at least somewhat good if you could choose between the "goodie-two-shoes" BOS and the outcast BOS.
It would be even better if the idealistic splinter group would get crushed after harsh post-nuclear reality slams into them.

It's simply too bloody naiive to have BoS in shiny armour running around killing things while protecting innocents. The BoS draws a lot from knightly orders, they have casts like knights and scribes, the former even have their shiny armour, but the knights are more interested in protecting the scribes and guarding the technology than saving damsels from ugly green muties. This is the thing BoS are dovoted to - technology.

Also, everyone naiive enough to think that real world knights were goody two shoes just sucks.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Keender_surprise said:
It doesn't have to be weapons. You could justify it more plausibly by having them discover information there. The question is whether Bethesda goes with that route or not.
No, it's not because they already said otherwise in the article. Deity, you clearly are their core audience for whom a couple of paragraphs of text are overwhelming.

Tharkin

Novice
If there are any FO fans with a grasp of the lore,using a ballpark figure, how large is the BoS around the time of Lyons mission?

Tharkin

Novice
Claw said:
Keender_surprise said:
It doesn't have to be weapons. You could justify it more plausibly by having them discover information there. The question is whether Bethesda goes with that route or not.
No, it's not because they already said otherwise in the article. Deity, you clearly are their core audience for whom a couple of paragraphs of text are overwhelming.

The diary mentions who knows what secrets -or equipment-they left behind.

Bradylama

Arcane
If there are any FO fans with a grasp of the lore,using a ballpark figure, how large is the BoS around the time of Lyons mission?

Uncertain. Big enough to launch an expedition, apparently.

You know what would be neat? If the whole retrieval mission was just an excuse to get rid of Lyons in the first place, but that's probably expecting too much.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
DraQ said:
Elhoim said:
Well, it would be at least somewhat good if you could choose between the "goodie-two-shoes" BOS and the outcast BOS.
It would be even better if the idealistic splinter group would get crushed after harsh post-nuclear reality slams into them.

It's simply too bloody naiive to have BoS in shiny armour running around killing things while protecting innocents. The BoS draws a lot from knightly orders, they have casts like knights and scribes, the former even have their shiny armour, but the knights are more interested in protecting the scribes and guarding the technology than saving damsels from ugly green muties. This is the thing BoS are dovoted to - technology.

Also, everyone naiive enough to think that real world knights were goody two shoes just sucks.

Did you even read the article?

"The war with the Super Mutants – a conflict that has continued unceasingly for over twenty years – rages on, and the Brotherhood is feeling the strain of this extended conflict. Without reinforcements from the West Coast, Lyons has been forced to recruit locally, and the results have been less than stellar: most new conscripts are overeager, unskilled, or both, and as a result their survival rate is atrocious. So low, in fact, that that word has spread throughout the Capital Wasteland – join the Brotherhood of Steel, and you’ll be dead within the week.

The Outcasts have grown in power since their split from the Citadel, and have re-dedicated their lives to what they consider the Brotherhood of Steel’s only mission – the acquisition of new technologies."

Section8

Cipher

Such optimism.

Bethesda said:
But its sub-levels remained intact, and contained enough pre-war technology and weaponry to keep Lyons’ forces going indefinitely (once the defense robots were destroyed). But there was something else, as well… a technological marvel that, if restored, could help the Brotherhood rebuild a strength and reputation that had been declining steadily for years.

<sigh>

There are any number of plot devices which could allow the player to change the situation - the junior officers want a more isolationist, technology-focused approach consistent with Brotherhood doctrine, or alternatively you're simply a devious bastard who wants to get rid of the old guard and use the power of the Brotherhood for your own ends. The final question is whether the faction quest lines will be a railroaded, linear affair without choices as in Oblivion, or something more akin to...Fallout.
Depends on what group is proud of Lyons.If it is the locals brought into the BoS command I think they might be pretty happy with his actions.

Yeah, I guess there's potential to make something from nothing, and theoretically a developer could go that route, but Bethesda aren't just any developer:

Bethesda said:
Without reinforcements from the West Coast, Lyons has been forced to recruit locally, and the results have been less than stellar: most new conscripts are overeager, unskilled, or both, and as a result their survival rate is atrocious. So low, in fact, that that word has spread throughout the Capital Wasteland – join the Brotherhood of Steel, and you’ll be dead within the week.

If it part of the original contingent maybe he has a Col. Kurtz,Heart of Darkness situation going on.

Maybe being away from the bastion of BoS dogma and seeing the scale of the degradation and deplorable conditions changed a few minds.Think of Darfur,sure we know its bad hear the horror stories but if we actually went there do you honestly think it would have no effect on our perspective.

There's a big difference between the very fortunate citizens of the first world suddenly being thrust into an indescribably horrific conflict and "a small but hardened contingent of Brotherhood of Steel soldiers" suddenly having an epiphany about the true nature of the desolate and corrupt wasteland they've always had to defend against.

Both sides might be right.The BoS is the best custodian for info and technology.When the time is right they could be the ones to lead humanity back to its feet if they choose to.

The beauty of it is, even they (Fallout's BOS) don't have that power. They're unquestionably the most powerful non-mutant faction in Fallout, but they don't have the means to help the world start over. In fact, they dedicate themselves mainly toward weapon design and production. General Maxson says:

Our main goal is to survive. The Scribes copy old plans for weapons or design new ones, and the Knights make the guns from 'em. Most guns come from us.

Which is something truly phenomenal to get your head around. They aren't working toward any kind of beneficial ecotechnology, they're not doing anything restorative - they're arming the populace. In some ways, it's a reasonable goal. The world is now a very hostile place, so people need to be able to defend themselves. But as in our own world, it's a big moral grey area.

It's not as though Fallout's gun runners or other dealers have any particular scruples about who winds up with those guns. Just who ever can afford it - which ultimately amounts to anyone who already has power, and there are a lot of immoral groups out there with a lot more power and money than your average citizen. Of the groups that aren't outright immoral, you have a large majority who are self serving, and out to protect themselves, not the populace.

So you have to question the Brotherhood's whole raison d'etre. Are they using their power effectively? Are they too selfish? Are they misguided? Immoral? Realists? There's a lot of nuances and subtle observations to be made of the BOS. They're an interesting faction for many more reasons than the fact that they have a couple of bad motherfuckers in power armour guarding their entry with miniguns.

So maybe one day they could lead mankind back to the path. But would that be particularly interesting?

The DC BoS is also right.They have the ability to make a difference the question is If not now ,when?Lyons chose now.

Yep, and I don't really see the problem with having idealists in a post-apocalyptic tragedy. But if that results in the main power struggle being "idealists vs nihilists" then suddenly you've lost a great deal of what made Fallout interesting - because ultimately the two major "opposing" powers of Fallout were a bunch of self-righteous isolationists against the army of a revolutionary thinker who does have a solution to get the human race back on its feet. Both factions have a vast mixture of "good guy" traits and "bad guy" traits.

In theory, Fallout 3 could have that sort of subtlety and depth, but the way it seems to me, is that you've got a bunch of idealistic fools who have been fighting the same fucking war "unceasingly for over twenty years" against the oppressive super-mutants.

Now if that doesn't scream "epic battle between good and evil" I don't know what does. You have one side inflicting destruction for what is at this point, no apparent reason, and another side who is opposing them because they're "the bad guys", and has enough conviction in that simple motivation to wage a twenty year war.

You may be entirely right that he is just playing King Arthur.It would be a shame.With what was written it is also possible my scenario is true.There just isn't enough info to support either one.

Well, nothing has been explicitly said, but the signs are there, and they point to Bethesda continuing the trends they've set in their previous games.

Well, Fallout 3 takes place in 2277. Take "over twenty" years off that for the time the Capital BOS have spent fighting the mutants, and that brings you to 2257ish for when they arrived in Washington after a "long trek". Fallout 2 starts in 2242, so there's 15 years of unknown activity, minus how ever long the trek took.

So it's hard to say. The BOS were in sharp decline in Fallout 2 - there couldn't have been more than a few dozen of them, but when the basic aspects are already so skewed, I don't think it really warrants analysis at that sort of depth.

I mean, how does a "small contingent" [...] "without reinforcements" and an "atrocious" survival rate of new recruits not just survive and protect itself for twenty years, but actively take the conflict to an enemy that has kept the populace under "constant threat of death or capture [...] for as long as they could remember"? How can they spend twenty years "simply keeping them at bay"?

And that's without referencing previous Fallouts. Fallout 3's Brotherhood of Steel as an isolated entity sounds implausible in isolation. When you add the anecdotal eveidence of previous games that indicates a single Super Mutant can at least match a Paladin one-for-one, then forget about it.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
There were other humans living in DC before the Brotherhood of Steel. There were also super mutants. Since the humans weren't exterminated, that means they were living peacefully.

That means that the super mutants aren't the aggressors in this 20-year-long war. The (new) Brotherhood of Steel are the aggressors.

Jaime Lannister said:
There were other humans living in DC before the Brotherhood of Steel. There were also super mutants. Since the humans weren't exterminated, that means they were living peacefully.
Well gee gosh darn whillikers aren't you cute! You don't actually believe Bethesda considered that, do you?

Section8

Cipher

Or not:

Bethesda said:
That’s why, for the people of the Capital Wasteland, the Brotherhood of Steel was the answer to their prayers. Scattered, hungry, and largely disorganized, they had lived with the constant threat of death or capture by the Super Mutants for as long as they could remember.

...so there's the still the question of how a completely oppressed populace can escape extermination at the hands of a vastly superior and steadily growing army - that "simply couldn’t be avoided." My money would be on Bethesda not having an explanation at all, let alone a clever one.

And for that matter - if they're scattered, hungry and disorganised - how the fuck are there whole human settlements like Megaton? Wait, if simply killing and capturing people is motivation enough for the mutants, how has a town full of humans and an undetonated nuclear bomb (in a bomb crater :lol:) not been over-run by mutants? Especially when there are mutants crawling all over the area around it, and in the fucking subway and sewers?

Nothing in this whole fucking game makes any sense - and that should be a pretty decent clue that you aren't going to get any clever twists on who are the real bad guys.

That means that the super mutants aren't the aggressors in this 20-year-long war. The (new) Brotherhood of Steel are the aggressors.

Bethesda said:
It didn’t take long for Lyons and the Brotherhood of Steel to find the Super Mutants, mostly because they didn’t have to: the Super Mutants found them.

You're giving them too much credit. Stop it.

Helton

Arcane
When Oblivion was coming out they gave a basic plot outline, much like they've done here and with Liam Neeson. It was very basic "Emporer dies and you must find his heir and give him the amulet to close shut the jaws of Oblivion!"

Now I liked Morrowind. I had expectations for something fantastic in the plot. Some kind of mystery or discovery. Something to turn it on it's head. Maybe, I thought, that's all just the first half of the plot and Martin will become some kind of tyrant king who you must overthrow.

No. Turns out those "plot outlines" were, in fact, the entire plot. There was no twist or florish or ambiguity. What you saw is what you got.

So for you all hoping there's going to be some "who's really the bad guys here!?" moment... Dream on, baby, dream on.

DraQ

Arcane
Helton said:
When Oblivion was coming out they gave a basic plot outline, much like they've done here and with Liam Neeson. It was very basic "Emporer dies and you must find his heir and give him the amulet to close shut the jaws of Oblivion!"

Now I liked Morrowind. I had expectations for something fantastic in the plot. Some kind of mystery or discovery. Something to turn it on it's head. Maybe, I thought, that's all just the first half of the plot and Martin will become some kind of tyrant king who you must overthrow.
At the very least I hoped for no daedra until at least half of the game, actually searching for the Heir, meandering between various counts and somesuch with their political agendas, and moral ambiguity in place of "demoan invashun form HELL!!!111". Even the invasion part was retarded - gates opened and instead of daedric hordes spilling out, wiping the cities (tiny walled villages, that is) off the map and ravaging the countryside we had a handful of bored daedra walking around the gates, waiting for the hero to come and close the gate by playing the "Capture The Palantir" minigame.

Radisshu

Prophet
DraQ said:
Helton said:

At the very least I hoped for no daedra until at least half of the game, actually searching for the Heir, meandering between various counts and somesuch with their political agendas, and moral ambiguity in place of "demoan invashun form HELL!!!111". Even the invasion part was retarded - gates opened and instead of daedric hordes spilling out, wiping the cities (tiny walled villages, that is) off the map and ravaging the countryside we had a handful of bored daedra walking around the gates, waiting for the hero to come and close the gate by playing the "Capture The Palantir" minigame.

... which easily could be closed by your Level 1 colloseum champion.

DraQ

Arcane
Radisshu said:
... which easily could be closed by your Level 1 colloseum champion.
It's Grand Champion. :P
Plus, you forgot Archmage, Master of the Fighters Guild, Gray Fox, Listener of the Dark Brotherhood and, with KoTN plugin installed, Divine Crusader.
All in one person in their full level 1 glory.

Bradylama

Arcane
There were some level requirements for the Mage's Guild, I think. Or was it the Fighter's Guild? Can't remember, just picking nits.

DraQ

Arcane
Bradylama said:
There were some level requirements for the Mage's Guild, I think. Or was it the Fighter's Guild? Can't remember, just picking nits.
I only know of level requirement for the MQ, namely, it required completion of at least one daedric quest, and those had level requirements. Since the lowest level requirement of a daedric quest is level 2, you can easily finish the MQ at this level.

I do know for sure, that there are no stat requirements for guild quests - yay for "Thogg smash things" orcish barbarian archmage?

Section8

Cipher
At the very least I hoped for no daedra until at least half of the game, actually searching for the Heir, meandering between various counts and somesuch with their political agendas, and moral ambiguity in place of "demoan invashun form HELL!!!111".

What would have been interesting would have been if there was no pre-ordained super heir with the blood of dragons and nobody with an indisputable claim to the throne - so suddenly there are any number of would-be rulers and their factions all vying for power. But even with a decent premise like that, you know Bethesda would have ended up with a plot along the lines of "hay guyz, wai we fight each other lets fighgt demonz k? Tamriel 4 eva!!!1!"

Joe Krow

Erudite
Section8 said:
At the very least I hoped for no daedra until at least half of the game, actually searching for the Heir, meandering between various counts and somesuch with their political agendas, and moral ambiguity in place of "demoan invashun form HELL!!!111".

What would have been interesting would have been if there was no pre-ordained super heir with the blood of dragons and nobody with an indisputable claim to the throne - so suddenly there are any number of would-be rulers and their factions all vying for power. But even with a decent premise like that, you know Bethesda would have ended up with a plot along the lines of "hay guyz, wai we fight each other lets fighgt demonz k? Tamriel 4 eva!!!1!"
Since nobody knew that an heir to the throne existed you would think somebody would have made a power grab. Then again the governors are not very ambitious in Tamriel. Most of them didn't seem too concerned about the open throne or the invading demons. The populace was equally passive. They ranked it right up there with the mudcrabs.

Tharkin

Novice
First off DraQ Thogg is a Nord,as all good barbarians should be.

Second Section8 thanks for the info on the BoS.
One thing I disagree is the idealists vs nihlists comparison.I see it more as idealists vs pragmatists.The outcasts realize that helping the locals in the long run won't mean a thing.I believe,all things being equal,the outcasts want to help the locals they understand that they can't fight everyones battles for them.It is sink or swim time for humanity.If you give them food they give you a gun and tell you to point the noisy end towards the bad guy and wish you good luck but that is the extant of thier generosity.

Would this be a fair evaluation of the BoS mindset?

Also has there ever been a discuussion of the BoS goals past survival(I bet that one is pretty high on everyones list in the wastelands)
Such as
Become the teachers and guides for humanity when the time is right.
Become a Machiavellian power behind the throne who controls the power structure
To create a Utopian society for them and them alone
I ask because it seems they have an agenda beyond basic survival and was wondering if it has been mentioned anywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom