Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 reviewed!

Black

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
Ohh yes, what a shame we don't have MSFD coming here making bold faced lies about his shitty games anymore. :cry:
Yes, isn't that sad, brother? :( Join me in my sorrow, we will surely miss all bethesda bullshit and lies they had to offer.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
fizzelopeguss said:
Seboss said:
Well, at some point we had all kind of developers posting here and giving interesting interviews, including people from Bethesda, and lucky we still have some (Obsidian staff mostly).

Ohh yes, what a shame we don't have MSFD coming here making bold faced lies about his shitty games anymore. :cry:

Yes you're right, we still have gaider here whenever a dragon age article pops up, we have obsidian devs and we have cd project guys occasionally. Basically all that's left of the CRPG genre.

Correction, you did have.

You think those people aren't aware of what depths you will stoop to?

Let's see how eager they are to share with you in the future.

Seboss

Liturgist
fizzelopeguss said:
Yes you're right, we still have gaider here whenever a dragon age article pops up, we have obsidian devs and we have cd project guys occasionally. Basically all that's left of the CRPG genre.
Exactly, and I'd like that it stays that way (dunno about gaider, I'm not all that interested in Dragon Age). I realize that as long as these people don't come here to spread their PR bullshit like MFSD did, there's no reason the Codex would throw poop at them.
But each time the Codex - well, a minority of its member but that does not matter to the outside world - crosses the line like with this (moderately funny) Hines animation, it's one step closer of being blacklisted by the whole industry.

I know I sound overly dramatic here, but please bear with me. Do you really want that to happen? Just for the lulz?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Seboss said:
I know I sound overly dramatic here, but please bear with me. Do you really want that to happen? Just for the lulz?
Remember the Mass Effect DRM thread?

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Stevee Wonder said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Seboss said:
Well, at some point we had all kind of developers posting here and giving interesting interviews, including people from Bethesda, and lucky we still have some (Obsidian staff mostly).

Because five or six clowns = the entire website, right?

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
Admiral jimbob said:
Stevee Wonder said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Seboss said:

Because five or six clowns = the entire website, right?

A few bad apples and all that jazz.

So yes, to the industry and the outside world yes a few clowns does represent the entire site.

Do you think that those uber cool devs that actually stop in to pander to you will differentiate between those who are worthy and those who are not?

Are you this naive?

xuerebx

Erudite
Seboss said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Exactly, and I'd like that it stays that way (dunno about gaider, I'm not all that interested in Dragon Age). I realize that as long as these people don't come here to spread their PR bullshit like MFSD did, there's no reason the Codex would throw poop at them.
But each time the Codex - well, a minority of its member but that does not matter to the outside world - crosses the line like with this (moderately funny) Hines animation, it's one step closer of being blacklisted by the whole industry.

It already happened though, do you see Beth giving a shit about the general opinion about them on here? Of course not, not when there's all this shit against them, and the fact that their forums where trolled. It's purely just for fun, for some internet cred, the rest it doesn't matter, Beth don't give a shit about the codex and the general opinion. This could go for other game companies too. Plus there's only a couple 5000 members of the codex, a petty minority.

When you visit a thread and 99% of the posts are unrelated to RPGs, and they're just petty insults, and mildly un/funny comments.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
WhiskyWolf said:
I think you're wrong Seboss, when people talk about the Codex and how it's declining they almost always forget about one impotent thing - the "freedom of speech" perk...
...which used to mean one thing - all well-presented and supported opinions are welcome. Not "every moron can post whatever the hell he wants and get away with it".

This is why *I* respect this site....
What exactly do you respect?

... if you want to fell elite go to Iron Towers.
Intelligent discussions = elite these days?

As for posting spoilers on ESF... It's pathetic. It's one thing to argue and present points, it's another to post the equivalent of "dumbledore died lol pwned!" all over their forums. You sure showed them. *rolls eyes.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Stevee Wonder said:
A few bad apples and all that jazz.

So yes, to the industry and the outside world yes a few clowns does represent the entire site.

Do you think that those uber cool devs that actually stop in to pander to you will differentiate between those who are worthy and those who are not?

Are you this naive?

Any developer who looks at a moderately large board with dozens of active users and judges it on the actions of a few - and what moderately large board doesn't have its share of idiots? - isn't one who's worth wasting our time on in the first place. A good number of worthwhile developers already know what the Codex is really like, and won't be deterred by stunts like this.

And no, sorry to disappoint you, but I can't be bothered taking your bait.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
xuerebx said:
Seboss said:
fizzelopeguss said:

It already happened though

And who is to blame for that? I'll give you a hint: it isn't Beth. It won't be Bioware or Obsidian or whatever indie dev that sweeps you off your feet onto a white horse and rides off into the sunset.

It's the people who perpetrate jackassery and all those who condone it. In essence, this site only has itself to blame for the rep it has gotten... all that crying over the 'media doesn't understand us! They just don't know how it feels!' is for naught. The media DOES understand you, and episodes like this are why.

Radisshu

Prophet
Well, that's the problem with internet anynomity for ya.

I haven't said anything about this, but here's what I think:
I think Bethesda has hurt the CRPG genre by their bullshit PR, which has made lots of sheep-minded people think turn-based and isometric are crappy and regressive, simply because they didn't want to go with it for their game. The same goes for the mainstream video game press.

And I guess they deserve some kind of retribution for this, but trolling attacks do not hurt Beth, at all. They hurt this site.

Seboss

Liturgist
Admiral jimbob said:
A good number of worthwhile developers already know what the Codex is really like, and won't be deterred by stunts like this.
I hope you're right jimbob. But I fear some uptight PR managers might not see it that way.
And no, 6 members don't make the Codex. But they can leave a big impact on how people perceive it. And like VD just implied, people should not get away with anything by brandishing the Codex first amendment.

As for Bethesda, they're not worth any ounce of respect from the cRPG community. But again, it's not Bethesda I'm worried about.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
Radisshu said:
Well, that's the problem with internet anynomity for ya.

I haven't said anything about this, but here's what I think:
I think Bethesda has hurt the CRPG genre by their bullshit PR, which has made lots of sheep-minded people think turn-based and isometric are crappy and regressive, simply because they didn't want to go with it for their game. The same goes for the mainstream video game press.

And I guess they deserve some kind of retribution for this, but trolling attacks do not hurt Beth, at all. They hurt this site.

Bethesda has NEVER said that turn based sucked.

Bethesda has said they don't do it. Frankly I would rather they do what they can do rather than fuck up trying something they can't do. Like program AI.

And no, they don't deserve 'retribution'. It's a fucking video game, not polar bears on melting ice floes.

The only thing they deserve is your money, or not. Don't buy it and don't support it. Spend your money (and stop pirating) on games that you like and the market will adjust. This is basic economics.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Stevee Wonder said:
Spend your money (and stop pirating) on games that you like and the market will adjust. This is basic economics.

*facepalm*

Radisshu

Prophet
Well, it might be the press or Bethesda, I know one of them has said that turn-based is an aged technology, which is complete bullshit. It's just another kind of gameplay.

And no, they don't deserve 'retribution'. It's a fucking video game, not polar bears on melting ice floes.

Yeah, and I don't think they should be killed or even beaten, I just want them to get the bad reviews they deserve and watch a better company make Fallout 3 and say "This is how it should have been made."

Bethesda has said they don't do it. Frankly I would rather they do what they can do rather than fuck up trying something they can't do. Like program AI.

Bethesda knows how to program AI? That's news to me.

The only thing they deserve is your money, or not. Don't buy it and don't support it. Spend your money (and stop pirating) on games that you like and the market will adjust. This is basic economics.

Piracy is a great way of seeing how good a game really is before buying it, since the mainstream press is bought by the gaming companies, all according to the laws of the infallible free market.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
Radisshu said:
Yeah, and I don't think they should be killed or even beaten, I just want them to get the bad reviews they deserve and watch a better company make Fallout 3 and say "This is how it should have been made."

Newsflash: just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad game. Maybe the game is fucking good in its own way. Why can't you handle that?

Radisshu said:
Bethesda knows how to program AI? That's news to me.

See those two words right before that sentence? 'can't do'? Yeah...

Solohk

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
WhiskyWolf said:
I think you're wrong Seboss, when people talk about the Codex and how it's declining they almost always forget about one impotent thing - the "freedom of speech" perk...
...which used to mean one thing - all well-presented and supported opinions are welcome. Not "every moron can post whatever the hell he wants and get away with it".

As for posting spoilers on ESF... It's pathetic. It's one thing to argue and present points, it's another to post the equivalent of "dumbledore died lol pwned!" all over their forums. You sure showed them. *rolls eyes.

This.

dragonfk

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
WhiskyWolf said:

+1

Radisshu

Prophet
Stevee Wonder said:
Radisshu said:

Newsflash: just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad game. Maybe the game is fucking good in its own way. Why can't you handle that?

Indeed! Maybe graphics in themselves constitutes a good game! Maybe even half-assed graphics, bad animation, buggy gameplay and a broken system that encourages cheating constitutes a good game. Well, they obviously do if you look at Oblivion.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
Radisshu said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Radisshu said:

Indeed! Maybe graphics in themselves constitutes a good game! Maybe even half-assed graphics, bad animation, buggy gameplay and a broken system that encourages cheating constitutes a good game. Well, they obviously do if you look at Oblivion.

And all you care about is graphics? That explains it. The graphics aren't good so the game sucks!

And you've personally played the game to see all the bugs and cheating? Awesome! Why not spam that on the ESF instead of 'IM A KOMPUTER!'

xuerebx

Erudite
Stevee Wonder said:
And who is to blame for that? I'll give you a hint: it isn't Beth. It won't be Bioware or Obsidian or whatever indie dev that sweeps you off your feet onto a white horse and rides off into the sunset.

It's the people who perpetrate jackassery and all those who condone it. In essence, this site only has itself to blame for the rep it has gotten... all that crying over the 'media doesn't understand us! They just don't know how it feels!' is for naught. The media DOES understand you, and episodes like this are why.

Yeah I know, I never blamed a game company. I know the codex wasn't like this before, but that's how it is now. I don't think it will change.

Solohk said:
Vault Dweller said:
WhiskyWolf said:

This.

Yes definitely, the posting of spoilers on the TES forums was so pathetic and childish. Especially the trolling in various threads, in fact the TES members replied more appropriately when dealing with some of those trolls. And ITS is absolutely the place to be if you want to discuss RPGs with mature level-headed members.

Seboss

Liturgist
Radisshu said:
Indeed! Maybe graphics in themselves constitutes a good game!
It seems that making people believe a game has good graphics is enough to make a good game.
Whatever way you look at it, Fallout 3 graphics are in no way "groundbreaking" or "state of the art". I don't remember any journalist using that kind of superlatives about the Witcher which sure looks prettier than Fallout 3 to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom