Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 reviewed!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Claw said:
Reading all those complaints about a "compressed world" I feel compelled to say that Piranha Bytes did a great job with that in Gothic and Gothic II.
When I played Gothic for the first time, I remember seeing a ruin on a mountain from the "starting area" and it took me many hours to actually go there. The game felt really big initially, until I realized that after wandering into the wilderness for hours I was actually just a few steps away from the Old Camp.
To me, the world map always looked like a larger map folded to take up less space. Many areas are very close together but seperated by natural obstacles so you can't tell how close together everything is when you play it for the first time.

I always felt that was a great strength: You can go exploring for hours - encountering something of more or less interest every few steps - and once you have explored the area you can go back to to your starting point in five minutes.
In Morrowind however, I got pretty bored on the way from Seyda Neen to Balmora. In Morrowind, there were multiple occasions where I actually tried to do something else while moving from A to B. Vivec was worst, of course. I don't believe I've ever had a more boring gameplay experience than travelling between cantons. Seriously, what the hell? Consequently Vivec is the place where I stopped playing Morrowind.

I'm not sure there is an insight here, unless it's this: No matter how Bethesda does it, it sucks because it's Bethesda doing it.
Or maybe you are biased because you are German. Who knows? :)

Xi

Arcane
flabbyjack said:
The travelocity travel gnome: Denouncer of Fallout Myths!

Myth 1 : All fallout games are the same.
"No way! Fallout 3 is much better." ... continue?

Myth 2 : Fallout was meant to be Isometric/turn-based by design.
"No way! Fallout 3 uses new technology, not that out dated stuff, it's much better!" ...continue?

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
You shitballs should be ashamed of yourselves. I mean how much more childish can you get?

It's okay to think FO3 sucks. It's okay to not agree with Bethforums mod practices but apparently they are completely justifyed by people like you.

I mean, I don't even care about the game but I can't even pop in and check the fucking forums in the offchance I may rent the game because you don't get your way and have to break the other kids' toys too.

It's a disgrace. And when the media portrays you and sites like NMA as whiny ranters who can't grow up and get over it this is why. You fuel the stereotype.

Fucking shameful.

ushdugery

Scholar
Stevee Wonder said:
You shitballs should be ashamed of yourselves. I mean how much more childish can you get?

It's okay to think FO3 sucks. It's okay to not agree with Bethforums mod practices but apparently they are completely justifyed by people like you.

I mean, I don't even care about the game but I can't even pop in and check the fucking forums in the offchance I may rent the game because you don't get your way and have to break the other kids' toys too.

It's a disgrace. And when the media portrays you and sites like NMA as whiny ranters who can't grow up and get over it this is why. You fuel the stereotype.

Fucking shameful.

Wow more unreasonable anger I have never seen on this forum before must be a troll...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Stevee Wonder said:

Fucking shameful.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Stevee Wonder said:

Fucking shameful.

It's a bit boring and defenitely uninpsired to use the same post in two different threads.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=26917&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=19

Seboss

Liturgist
I agree that posting the game plot in size 36 on every gaming boards across the planet is stupid.
I dislike Bethesda's take on Fallout as much as everybody else here and I perfectly understand the resentment.
But spoiling the plot for the people interested in playing Fallout 3, that's just stupid and childish.

I wonder how the Codex would react if some moron posted the entire script of AoD all over the place.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Seboss said:
I wonder how the Codex would react if some moron posted the entire script of AoD all over the place.
You know that it would be more then a page?

Mic Turner

Novice
Seboss said:
But spoiling the plot for the people interested in playing Fallout 3, that's just stupid and childish.

Nah, it's a charitable act; they're helping them save $50.

@Stevee Wonder
You can't go on the Beth forums anymore? Then you should be DOUBLY thankful: they helped you save both money and your IQ.
Edit: well, it seems it was already too late for the latter...

Black

Arcane
Seboss said:
spoiling the plot for the people interested in playing Fallout 3, that's just stupid and childish.

It's their fault for expecting deep storyline with interesting plot twists from a bethesda game.

Seboss said:

Seboss said:
people interested in playing Fallout 3

What exactly are you doing here? This is not a proper place for a young man.

Seboss

Liturgist
WhiskeyWolf said:
Seboss said:
You know that it would be more then a page?
Damn right.

I don't really care personally. I was not expecting anything from Fallout 3 storyline. I just want to fuck around the theme p..err wasteland until the stupidity and the generic quests bores me.
But, the guy who loudly exposes the intrigue of the movie he just saw on his way out of the theater while dozens of people are waiting in line to see it just a few feet away: petty and not funny.

Texas Red

Whiner
Damn straight, Seboss. The line between harmless lulz and just childish behavior had been crossed and screams of Decline. Throwing around photoshopped sex jokes about Pete and spoilers for the whole game would only make this place look like a joke(a very dumb, pubescent joke).

I'm the last person to hop on the Decline bandwagon but I stopped reading the leak thread because of sheer, immature stupidity. FO 3 wasn't criticized because of particular flaws but rather because some thought it would be cool to be nonconformist on the shady Codex. Calling the game omg its so shit lawl in a single line post is as equally ignorant as IGN giving Jade Empire 10/10.

Seboss

Liturgist
Well, it's not such a big deal really. The kiddos who streamed themselves playing the game are the ones to blame in the end.
I wish the Codex could get a grip. Between the somewhat elitist and snobish attitude and now this, so much for the credibility guys.
That's too bad really. There are many people here I hold in high regard and I wish the Codex would hold more weight in the industry. I'm all for the provocative humor and derision, but this kind of behavior is just self-destructive.

Decline of the Codex, blahblah...

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Seboss said:
I wish the Codex would hold more weight in the industry.

Oo

...how?

(I don't get why people make a big giant deal of spoilers. Maybe it's because I don't find any plot all that surprising anymore. Making Harry Potter fans shit kittens is funny, though, and had I been actually interested in FO3/Beth, I'd probably find all this amusing too.)

Seboss

Liturgist
Well, at some point we had all kind of developers posting here and giving interesting interviews, including people from Bethesda, and lucky we still have some (Obsidian staff mostly).
But with the kind of stunt we've seen during the last two days, I can't see how any major development studio could give any credit to the codex anymore.

I'm not saying the Codex should suck up to developers for interviews and stuff, but showing some basic respect for other people work would be a nice start.

But hey, if you guys prefer the lulz over having some trust from developers, that's fine by me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom