Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Even Call of Duty: Ghosts is going PC hipster these days - Released

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Will wait for the proper rips.

J1M

Arcane
That is not proof. :smug:

No shit, genius, that was merely a fucking question. Wanna start providing your own proof any time soon then, seeing how much you like this word? I'd be happy to accept that FOV size is related to performance, why the fuck not? I was just saying I've never seen a single sign of it being the case, after trying to see it in several games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It can supposedly improve framerate by showing less at once. Same with a large gun model blocking more complicated stuff. However that could all be bullshit misconception, I don't know. I'm not a techy.

Developers have maintained lower FOVs are to reduce fisheye, which became more obvious when we got more detailed environments. Whether you believe them or not is up to you.

Fish-eye is something that is a problem indeed when you set FOV too high. However, very often default FOV is much lower than it is needed to eliminate that problem. Regarding performance, perhaps difference actually becomes visible on a weak console GPU, I wouldn't know. Still not exactly an excuse to ship PC ports with console FOV.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It can supposedly improve framerate by showing less at once. Same with a large gun model blocking more complicated stuff. However that could all be bullshit misconception, I don't know. I'm not a techy.

Developers have maintained lower FOVs are to reduce fisheye, which became more obvious when we got more detailed environments. Whether you believe them or not is up to you.
It could give a marginal improvement, but you're looking at 1-2% I think. The geometry of everything still has to be accounted for regardless of it's it's on screen or not.

Plus, you're going to want to keep the textures in memory, even if they aren't being rendered, since they could be at a moment's notice. Most compromises on consoles are due to memory limitations, but I don't think low fov helps with that.

It could cut down on how much work shaders and lighting have to do.

I think low fov is used to hide the fact that the levels are tiny and keep the illusion alive. Also, you can't aim very fast with a thumbstick, and a low fov might help mask that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The geometry of everything still has to be accounted for regardless of it's it's on screen or not.

No, this isn't how it works at all. Occlusion is a really big deal in realtime 3D environments, with a critical effect on performance.

That said, I doubt FOV is a very important factor for occlusion. On the other hand, on a console, every little bit of performance might count.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, but you can't ignore geometry because things can be colliding even if you can't see them

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Fish-eye is something that is a problem indeed when you set FOV too high. However, very often default FOV is much lower than it is needed to eliminate that problem. Regarding performance, perhaps difference actually becomes visible on a weak console GPU, I wouldn't know. Still not exactly an excuse to ship PC ports with console FOV.

Well respected developers like Josh Sawyer have said anything higher than 75 FOV leads to too much fisheye. I'm sure it's a subjective thing, some people play Skyrim at like 110 FOV and I think 90 in that game is way too warped.

In the end I think the percentage who care either way is probably pretty small.

Bulba

Learned

YouTubebro said:
Looking forward to Call of NASA: Astronaut warfare.
I would play that game.

Not a CoD clone where you are in space, I want to play as an actual astronaut fighting other astronauts in space. Alien astronauts of course, since in space everyone is bros. Bonus points if they can licence real-life astronauts.

I agree competely to this post.
A FPS focused on Realistic (tm) hard space science fiction combined with interesting mechanics could be cool. Extra ponmts if destructible terrain is in.

don't you need oxygen for bullets to fire? harpoon fights with no sound and at a really slow pace will get boring in like 10 minutes.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not just 50GB of space, but a GTX 500 series and 6GB of RAM *required.*

Sounds like utter bullshit to me, but what do I know.

tuluse

Arcane

YouTubebro said:
Looking forward to Call of NASA: Astronaut warfare.
I would play that game.

Not a CoD clone where you are in space, I want to play as an actual astronaut fighting other astronauts in space. Alien astronauts of course, since in space everyone is bros. Bonus points if they can licence real-life astronauts.

I agree competely to this post.
A FPS focused on Realistic (tm) hard space science fiction combined with interesting mechanics could be cool. Extra ponmts if destructible terrain is in.

don't you need oxygen for bullets to fire? harpoon fights with no sound and at a really slow pace will get boring in like 10 minutes.

There is Shattered Horizon

MetalCraze

Arcane

Dude what the fuck. Lower FOVs are there so consoleros will actually see stuff on their screen.

Try playing a game with a typical PC FOV (85+) on a TV 2 meters away and report back.

Yes, because there are no historical records of any prominant women in the medieval ages Joan’sing for a fight

I love these types of articles because the “b-b-but, historical accuracy!” grognards come out of the woodwork, complaining about how women being represented a certain way would ruin their immersion or whatever

:butthurt:

RPS is one of the few places where you can't tell the betas and feminists apart.

Time to summon Lesi for a more educated view on the matter.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Yes, because there are no historical records of any prominant women in the medieval ages Joan’sing for a fight

I love these types of articles because the “b-b-but, historical accuracy!” grognards come out of the woodwork, complaining about how women being represented a certain way would ruin their immersion or whatever

:butthurt:

RPS is one of the few places where you can't tell the betas and feminists apart.

Time to summon Lesi for a more educated view on the matter.
And yet if the women are sexy warriors, much tears of butthurt and immersion break is shred. It's like they need the game to bend to their fantasy worldview.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
In case anyone thought this was bullshit the minimum specs are on Steam now and it does indeed require 6GB of RAM and a GTX 500 series or better. Pretty insane considering there is an Xbox 360 version but hey what do I know.

First game my PC does not meet the requirements for, I believe. Not that I was planning on getting it anyway.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Call of Duty adding Zerg: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/29/call-of-duty-ghosts-getting-guh-guh-guh-guh-aaaaaliens/

Aliens-meme.jpg

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
What an ugly ass game. Call of Gears or Gears of Duty, take your pick.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Well it was inevitable that they were going to add aliens as their fan base needs a new enemy and this one will feature zerg that is trying to spread communism in America. Also when you have a studio admitting that this is their fan base it really isn't a surprise why they would add them.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/21/call-of-duty-players-arent-hardcore-gamers-says-infinity-ward
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/21/call-of-duty-players-arent-hardcore-gamers-says-infinity-ward

that he didn't expect the imminent arrival of the next-gen consoles to have much of an impact on the make-up of COD's audience."Regardless of platform - people's gaming habits aren't going to change just because there's a new platform," he said. "We have an enormous amount of players who are more in the casual game space, but they play a lot.

"It's kind of a weird, ironic thing to say; They aren't hardcore gamers, or even gamers, but they play Call of Duty every night. And those guys are going to continue to play regardless of platform. So I think not only will we continue to engage with that existing player base, but we'll take next gen and see how far we can go with it."

Last week, Call of Duty publisher Activision threw down the gauntlet, warning GTA dev Rockstar that Ghosts would be snatching back all the records GTA V has managed to accrue since it released. By the sounds of things, the franchise's fiercely loyal fanbase will be crucial if it's to succeed.
[/URL]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom