Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Ensure the Warriors of Diversity will live on in Eternity

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
What was the exact specific info Fargo mentioned in the WL2 KS that is missing from Obsidian's Project Eternity KS?
The actual name of the game. :smug:

Plus it was based on a pre-existing license so there are a whole range of assumptions that can be made about the game-mechanics, enemies, setting, specific details of player races, type of weapons you're likely to find in-game and so on.

EDIT: Think of it as the difference between Lamborghini announcing the "Countach II", a car based on and inspired by the original Countach versus Ford announcing "Project: Forever" - which is going to be a car, with wheels. And it has seating. Think about what type of car the "Countach II" will be versus the complete lack of any idea as to what "Project: Forever" is. Is it a 4WD? A truck? Ute? How many seats? Will it be a fast car designed for racing?

The only reason I can see for people to be mad about this is that they believe DU's post will discourage some potential backers. But I am pretty sure no one here changes their thoughts and opinions based on DU (or any other poster).
Read the whole thread. People already did so.
Not any-one important though, just a few weak-minded unCodexian newfags. :smug:

If you're referring to me, i was only trolling ffs.
I am disappoint:(

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
You know, (and saying this as somebody who donated a few bucks) DU should just use the money from this fundraiser to upgrade the server and his whiskey / fluorescent crack pipe collection. I can already see the glorious result - and I'm not sure Project Eternity can deliver more entertainment than that would :lol:

MCA
Not any-one important though, just a few weak-minded unCodexian newfags. :smug:

Once again, apparently it's my "duty" to ensure that silly Codexian references appear in as many computer games as possible.

No, that is not my duty. Me thinks you over-estimate the importance of this fundraiser just a smidge. My duty is actually to keep this place running. If you think my duty is to raise money so that the Codex can be mentioned in random computer games, you're a sadly deluded individual with rather warped priorities.

I like how your argument has moved on from me "just not posting the news item" to "DarkUnderlord shouldn't say anything about it at all!" lest I taint someone's fragile little mind. You're a 2012 newfag and I can see you've got no idea how this place works.

This is an opinionated website. That means the staff and the users have a range of diverse and differeing opinions on a wide range of subjects. We do not censor those opinions be that person on staff, or in the forum.

If your mind is that weak that you can't handle someone who disagrees with you, you really shouldn't be here.

I know you've been trying really hard on this for a while, but I'm still not feeling the passion. Try throwing in a few derogatory insults about my mother. If that doesn't work, try a long parable involving donkeys and a lamb. People love animal stories.

Sane, logical arguments do have a tendency to make people change their minds. Your solution to that seems to be to stop all negative discussion on it, lest someone read something bad and have their frail sensibilities infringed upon.

Oh, so some people, who might've perhaps maybe donated haven't put their $5 contribution in because a few people said the game wasn't to their liking and Obsidian seemed to be a bit dumb about it.

Tragedy.

If you want me - and others - to be enthusiastic about this project, tell Obsidian to release some actual information about the game. Like decent concept art or detail about the game mechanics or a video. You know, something that doesn't suck. Heck, how about an actual fucking name for the game instead of a "project title"? That'd be a start.

Yes, I've read your idiocy. Once is enough. Your message is quite clear:

Behead all those who insult the Obsidian fundraiser!

Dissent must be silenced!

:lol: I love how you've been rabbiting on and on about ""my" duty to the Codex but apparently that's where responsibility ends. How about "your" duty - if you want this fundraiser to succeed - to point out why it's such a good and worthy project that people should donate to.

No, instead the best you can do is throw a few tame insults at me and demand that everyone who aren't huge salivating fans should just be quiet.

42% of the Codex doesn't want it. What about their views? Again, what you're actually asking for is for one side of the debate to be completely and utterly silent.

You really are new here so let me try and make it clear to you just one more time: We don't do that.

Welcome to the Codex. Understanding that small and simple principle will help you towards a much better understanding of why this site was founded.

Let's go over this again:

Once again, it is not the Codex's purpose to ensure as many references as possible are shoved into computer games that any given proportion of the forum community may or may not want. That's not why we're here. It is not "my job", "my role" nor is it "my duty". And it sure as hell is not "professional" for me to keep my opinion about a computer game or fundraiser silent.

This site was founded by Saint_Proverbius, Deathy, Calis, myself and a handful of others precisely because our opinion on IE-based computer games focussed on killing shit were shut-down in the developers official, "professional" forums. Here, have a history lesson.

So you want me, someone who founded a website deliberately built because my own opinion about games was being silenced, to silence my own opinion - so that only your view is heard?

You're an idiot who clearly hasn't "grasped" what this site really is about.

Until you get that through your thick head, you're going to have great difficulty understanding what my "role" here really is.

Now, here's what you've said:

This is your first claim. I need to be "professional" and completely ignore my own opinion (which is against the site's purpose).

Your second claim is that:

We've now added in a clear aim: We can't be negative. And then you go one step further:

In other words: Find someone who is willing to be positive and actively promote the game and get them to do the news post. To encourage as many people to donate as possible. Apparently this is so that we don't "disturb things".

According to you, that would be the "better" (and one would assume, much more "professional") way to go about this.

The implication is that if I'm not excited about a project, I should find one of our newsies who is and get them to post about it in a positive manner, so as to actively encourage people to donate. That is apparently "doing my duty" and "doesn't disturb things".

Right now, I'm "doing my duty" by:
  • Running the fundraiser in the first place. Remember kids, I could've just said no.
  • Ensuring the money raised gets to Obsidian. Remember kids, I could just spend it on hookers and booze.
But that is clearly not enough for you, given how many times you've thrown around "job", "role", "duty" and "profesional" with the implication that, despite running the fundraiser and sending the money to Obsidian, I'm not "doing my job". A job which you have further elaborated on now to include "staying completely silent" about my opinion on the fundraiser - to ensure that only a positive light is portrayed and that as much "assistance to the Codex community" is provided as possible.

You've even said "What means is that the fundraiser probably lost some money because of your actions, thus you have failed to properly assist your Codex bros."

If I were neutral in the news post (and still negative in the thread), my actions still would have seen the fundraiser "possibly lose some money". Your very clear implication through-out this thread is one that we should actively ensure that as much money as possible goes to the fundraiser.

This is rich, because you say this right before saying:

Like I said, you clearly think it would be more "professional" to actively promote the fundraiser as much as possible.

Sorry, but that is not "my duty". As I've said, my duty is to ensure the money that is donated gets to Obsidian and that we sort out what we're going to get for the amount we raise. Nothing more.

Oh please, if we'd been "neutral" in the news post (which would be a Codexian first - we mostly either hate or love things around here, try actually reading the news sometimes), you'd still be whining about my comments in this thread.

After all, you're not really dumb enough to think that a "neutral" news post from me, with me saying what I've said in this post, still wouldn't have affected anyone?

Nope. Like I said, you apparently live in a deluded world where me posting a "neutral" news post - and yet being highly critical of the KickStarter in the thread - wouldn't affect anyone. Despite the fact that I'd be the one providing all the updates, updating the tally and updating everything else. But then I guess you want to silence me completely and find someone else to do all of that too, right? Because that would be ensure your pet campaign gets funding more "professional".

You still need to work on the insults. Try calling me "son" directly, rather than just using the baby image.

I love it. You completely miss the point. The point is the bit you left on the end there: as much money as possible getting raised so that the fundraiser is successsful.

That is called selling out, you brain-dead idiot. Read that again: If my honest opinions prevent money going to this campaign, then I should be silenced.

You clearly don't understand the point of the Codex.

Spoken like a true The Brazilian Slaughter.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Do we really want shitty Codex memes to appear in this game? I mean, the warriors of diversity were amusing and all, but what if project Eterny turns out to be the next Planescape: Torment? The idea of fighting an adventuring party made out of a Nazi, a tranny, a cybernetic negro rape machine, and a snow fag degenerate, all armed with flailing, multi-headed dicks enchanted with asshole enlarging vorpal powers, would seems a tad out of place.

Stinger

Arcane
Do we really want shitty Codex memes to appear in this game? I mean, the warriors of diversity were amusing and all, but what if project Eterny turns out to be the next Planescape: Torment? The idea of fighting an adventuring party made out of a Nazi, a tranny, a cybernetic negro rape machine, and a snow fag degenerate, all armed with flailing, multi-headed dicks enchanted with asshole enlarging vorpal powers, would seems a tad out of place.

Planescape Torment also had the Sword of Wh'ynn, which a character referred to as 'The cheater's blade' and says something like "merely holding it will win the game".

The 4th wall wasn't completely stable in Torment either and besides the codex can come up with a party that still fits in the setting of the game.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Planescape Torment also had the Sword of Wh'ynn, which a character referred to as 'The cheater's blade' and says something like "merely holding it will win the game".

The 4th wall wasn't completely stable in Torment either and besides the codex can come up with a party that still fits in the setting of the game.

18. Restored Item Cheats - Not Recommended

Vrischika's dialogue has disabled conversation paths where she offers to sell you the "Sword of Wh'ynn" - aka "The Cheater's Blade" - and "The Tome o' Cheats". Their descriptions indicate what they are supposed to do, but neither of them actually did anything. Restoration Pack enabled them, allowing you to buy both of them and read the descriptions and, in the case of the Sword of Wh'ynn, reenabled it's power (which is basically to skip ahead to the final game cutscene, which basically just spoils the ending, which is why I don't recommend that one).
I don't know if that counts.

I am confident that the Codex party will just be based on ideals, and will fit the setting.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I threw in my 10 dollars. And fuck your for donating only 1200 so far.

Lottie

Educated
We do not censor those opinions be that person on staff, or in the forum.
HO HO HO

what my "role" here really is
Silencing dissent?
Why does your opinion that I should be redirected to the jewcamp override mine that I should not?
Can we stop redirecting me to the dreadful place?
I even disabled redirects in the browser...
And I am really getting tired of registering new accs...
But i am mostly running out of cool nicks................
:dance:

By the way, my opinion is that paying for digital goods that can be hand otherwise is retarded.
Also, Jaesun is a fucking moronic imbecile, whose every second post is either a "yay" or "newfag". He is an unemployed, retarded faggot shitpusher. Lol, just jokin.

St. Toxic

Arcane
It's estimated date of delivery, so it means nothing. Actually, we should encourage Obsidian (and inXile as well) to take their time and finish the game properly despite this date. Unlike publishers, we can wait a little more, especially if this means more polish to the game.

Damn straight. It's unimaginable that people who've put money towards a "dream game" would demand Obs rush development to fill some sort of release quota. People have invested towards a quality product, not for profit or a name brand, and if it takes another 6 months to deliver folks'll stand behind that decision, bitching or otherwise. Now, if they run out of dough at 75% due to mismanagement it's questionable whether or not they can rely on backers to put them back on track -- that shit would be a nightmare announcement if it dropped just before the estimated release date. That's why it's a good idea to limit stretch-goals to content that can be added as an afterthought, to keep the additional cash as a potential buffer in case of setbacks.

And, yeah, Fargo's track record on that front is def. better than that of Obs. Maybe crowd-funding means all bets are off though, it's hard to say how much of their previous success/failure is due to publisher relations and whether traditional management experience translates as well as one would expect when it comes to ks.

MCA
Cheer up, RTwP cocksuckers; GameBanshee has only raised $1.7K (out of 10K they aim at) despite being a far more popular and better known news site with its own little community:

http://gamebanshee.chipin.com/project-eternity

That said, they have cut a special deal with Obsidian:

It's been just over a week since we launched our ChipIn campaign for Obsidian Entertainment's Project Eternity, and I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate the fact that we've already raised roughly $1300 of our $10,000 goal. We still have a ways to go, though, so I'm pleased to announce that Obsidian has committed to offering an extra bonus to anyone who contributes $50 or more to our ChipIn campaign. Not only will you receive a custom "Immortalizer" badge in our forums and an eternal mention on our Immortalized! page, but you'll also be mentioned within the Project Eternity game itself.

Before I get to that, let me elaborate on what we're shooting for here. If we reach a top tier pledge goal, Obsidian is willing to build us a banshee-themed inn or tavern, a custom character, and a custom item (a weapon that emits a death-inducing wail on a critical hit, maybe?). Hell, we might even be able to convince them to tie all of these additions together into some sort of elaborate quest. And that would be nothing short of awesome.

So here's the deal. Along with the above in-game additions, the Project Eternity team will be adding the chosen names of all contributors of $50 or more to one of three areas in the game. You'll get to pick which fantasy-themed name you'd like to use (a favorite character name or maybe a switch-around of the letters in your real name) and it will be placed in the area of your choosing:

a) in a tome or book within the inn or tavern
b) etched into a table within the inn or tavern
c) chiseled into a tombstone in a nearby graveyard

Additionally, a $100 contribution will net you a GameBanshee Immortalizer-exclusive mousepad (I'm still working out the details on this, more info soon). And you'll get a lifetime of my personal gratitude, as well. So if you've enjoyed any of the content that we've produced here on GameBanshee in the 12+ years of our existence, please consider making a donation and helping the site and its amazing audience become immortalized into Eternity. Thank you - and thanks to Obsidian Entertainment for making this a reality!

Come on, why is the dough not flowing in yet? A lot of you promised to pay something and the current tally doesn't even add up.

It's also entertaining how Times mused whether Obsidian could raise $10M when it has taken them almost 10 days to get this far and they are still struggling to reach even $2M. It will probably max out at somewhere near $2.5M. It will never reach $3M. It will be a low budget indie shit with Real-Time with Crap and you will have backed this shit doomed to fail from the beginning.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
At this rate we'll have to combine our fundraiser with GameBanshee's.

EG

Nullified
Why donate?

Wasteland 2 had a purdy image of a statue, the game itself, and, at the time, it was rather novel. Now we're into our third "We have to put the Codex brand on their backsides, guys!" campaign, and frankly, I don't care enough about advertising you bunch of freaks. I have finished with my "rally around the Codex" mindset with the DeadState bust -- a game that, even as eternal vaporware, probably needed the money more -- and now there's nothing left to see but the results of this project.

They have more than they asked for. They'll continue to get even more (possibly 3 million, unlikely 4 million). If it's going to be shit at 2.0 million, 2.5 million won't make any difference.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
We do not censor those opinions be that person on staff, or in the forum.
HO HO HO

what my "role" here really is
Silencing dissent?
Why does your opinion that I should be redirected to the jewcamp override mine that I should not?
What you post isn't dissent, it's idiocy. There's a difference. :smug:

Cheer up, RTwP cocksuckers; GameBanshee has only raised $1.7K (out of 10K they aim at) despite being a far more popular and better known news site with its own little community:

http://gamebanshee.chipin.com/project-eternity

That said, they have cut a special deal with Obsidian:

It's been just over a week since we launched our ChipIn campaign for Obsidian Entertainment's Project Eternity, and I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate the fact that we've already raised roughly $1300 of our $10,000 goal. We still have a ways to go, though, so I'm pleased to announce that Obsidian has committed to offering an extra bonus to anyone who contributes $50 or more to our ChipIn campaign. Not only will you receive a custom "Immortalizer" badge in our forums and an eternal mention on our Immortalized! page, but you'll also be mentioned within the Project Eternity game itself.

Before I get to that, let me elaborate on what we're shooting for here. If we reach a top tier pledge goal, Obsidian is willing to build us a banshee-themed inn or tavern, a custom character, and a custom item (a weapon that emits a death-inducing wail on a critical hit, maybe?). Hell, we might even be able to convince them to tie all of these additions together into some sort of elaborate quest. And that would be nothing short of awesome.

So here's the deal. Along with the above in-game additions, the Project Eternity team will be adding the chosen names of all contributors of $50 or more to one of three areas in the game. You'll get to pick which fantasy-themed name you'd like to use (a favorite character name or maybe a switch-around of the letters in your real name) and it will be placed in the area of your choosing:

a) in a tome or book within the inn or tavern
b) etched into a table within the inn or tavern
c) chiseled into a tombstone in a nearby graveyard
Now where's that post earlier with the Unwashed Villagers from Fallout 2...

Actually it's funny, I've still never really seen much of the UV and I've been around the Fallout communities for over a decade now.

I still maintain that what most people who donate would want is a fucking copy of the game though. Having an obscure reference to you in a tavern is one thing, being able to actually play the damn thing is another (it's the one thing I keep getting asked - "if I donate, do I get a copy of the game from the Codex?" Answer: NO). Throw in 150 digital copies of the game for the $5,000 community tier and I reckon there'd be more interest.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Updated total to an impressive $1,400. Suck that GameBanshee, you have more visitors but can't raise more than the Codex - and you have to throw in all that special promotional stuff, while I'm openly denigrating it - how does that make you feel? :smug:

Two trolls now. Latest is for Semper

EG

Nullified
Updated total to an impressive $1,400. Suck that GameBanshee, you have more visitors but can't raise more than the Codex - and you have to throw in all that special promotional stuff, while I'm openly denigrating it - how does that make you feel? :smug:

Two trolls now. Latest is for Semper

Truly, we are a minor deity among the Internet gods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom