Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Go have a wank or something and come back in an hour. It's not that fucking hard to find stuff to do.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Gamma 1.01 is live.

Hi everyone,

Gamma 1.01 is on its way (6PM GMT), with fixes to some of the more pressing issues. Hope you're enjoying playing the Gamma as much as we are (when we get home of course).

Here's the full change log. Enjoy.

- Don't crash when we receive a LoginSuperceded event on login
- Prevent the game from crashing if the basic scan object doesn't exist, if a web request fails
- Prevent crash when cap ship launching fighters, but the fighter is already dead
- Bad system meta data causing disconnect on jumps
- Fix assert when entering Neptune’s ring
- Prevent weapon stream objects crashing when fired from dead ships
- Fix for faction ranks doubling their expected rank in the status panel
- When network startup fails, provide a clean path in final version that present a message box and exits the app cleanly
- Append local machine name to port mapping string in upnp so we don't clean up other people's port mappings on a shared router
- Upnp now uses an infinite lease by default; it's possible to set a finite lease in appconfig if required
- Remove some rare goods from AI load outs
- Ensure that the faction data gatherers for system map are only entered if their preconditions are true
- Fix trading badge not updating on rank increase
- Travel Tutorial now fixed with the Hyperspace binding change
- Fix broken environment map in some stations
- Send telemetry about interdiction
- Cap ship guns should no longer be able to kill other guns (and modules) on the same ship
- Fix some things spamming the message log in multiplayer
- The occurrences of Cox have been renamed to Pippin
- Explorer is now Trail Blazer (Ranks)
- Disallow nebulae from location targets for hyperspace

There are some server-side updates too:

- After strong demand from Commanders, The Revolutionary Party of Cosi are delighted to announce that Zorgon Peterson have agreed to supply the shipyard at Arrhenius Hub with their popular Hauler spacecraft.
- Fixed issue with the launcher not allowing some Gamma eligible players into the game.
- GalNet system news will now correctly show the 5 highest bounties.
- Removed the ability to rename a commander from the support system. This is now done entirely in-game.
- Fixes for duplicate commander names.
- Fixed various starting locations from the commander starter packs.
- Allow commanders to explore more procedurally generated star systems.
- Many minor bug fixes and performance improvements.

Thank you!
Cant connect, cant even play solo, how surprising...
It is on now. They updated the servers. Jesus, some people can't stop complaining.

Bradylama

Arcane
Do note that bounties on players only apply to the current system (and across the faction?). In order to claim all bounties on a pilot you need a K-Warrant scanner that will reveal the universal bounty value.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If some new doodz make it to Nahua in their crap hauler and need to get started, hit me up. Apparently we can jettison cargo without it being flagged as stolen now. I'll donate you a few tons of gold to kit out your eagle/hauler

Mortmal

Arcane
Gamma 1.01 is live.

Hi everyone,

Gamma 1.01 is on its way (6PM GMT), with fixes to some of the more pressing issues. Hope you're enjoying playing the Gamma as much as we are (when we get home of course).

Here's the full change log. Enjoy.

- Don't crash when we receive a LoginSuperceded event on login
- Prevent the game from crashing if the basic scan object doesn't exist, if a web request fails
- Prevent crash when cap ship launching fighters, but the fighter is already dead
- Bad system meta data causing disconnect on jumps
- Fix assert when entering Neptune’s ring
- Prevent weapon stream objects crashing when fired from dead ships
- Fix for faction ranks doubling their expected rank in the status panel
- When network startup fails, provide a clean path in final version that present a message box and exits the app cleanly
- Append local machine name to port mapping string in upnp so we don't clean up other people's port mappings on a shared router
- Upnp now uses an infinite lease by default; it's possible to set a finite lease in appconfig if required
- Remove some rare goods from AI load outs
- Ensure that the faction data gatherers for system map are only entered if their preconditions are true
- Fix trading badge not updating on rank increase
- Travel Tutorial now fixed with the Hyperspace binding change
- Fix broken environment map in some stations
- Send telemetry about interdiction
- Cap ship guns should no longer be able to kill other guns (and modules) on the same ship
- Fix some things spamming the message log in multiplayer
- The occurrences of Cox have been renamed to Pippin
- Explorer is now Trail Blazer (Ranks)
- Disallow nebulae from location targets for hyperspace

There are some server-side updates too:

- After strong demand from Commanders, The Revolutionary Party of Cosi are delighted to announce that Zorgon Peterson have agreed to supply the shipyard at Arrhenius Hub with their popular Hauler spacecraft.
- Fixed issue with the launcher not allowing some Gamma eligible players into the game.
- GalNet system news will now correctly show the 5 highest bounties.
- Removed the ability to rename a commander from the support system. This is now done entirely in-game.
- Fixes for duplicate commander names.
- Fixed various starting locations from the commander starter packs.
- Allow commanders to explore more procedurally generated star systems.
- Many minor bug fixes and performance improvements.

Thank you!
Cant connect, cant even play solo, how surprising...
It is on now. They updated the servers. Jesus, some people can't stop complaining.

Unstable, taking ages to get commodities market, universal cartographic still dont work .

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Just logged in. Am in commodities market. Bought stuffies. No problems. Will check cartographics after hitting an unexplored star system. the bulletin/commodity market servers may be separate from the flying in spehss servers and take a min or two to get back online.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Look at this handsome devil I met!

0EF4663920AD1D49A3D10105A47EDF99D3E765AE

EE1E0D6D7B38B559F0D210BC6A743F2ACA3E1C5A

He tried to follow me into the hangar... cheeky bugger.
A715777C93BA59531A7E5A134E055808B91184CA

bonescraper

And here's Ulmi the harmless who kicked my arse in 1v1.

77CCAEA91430C03B59D68CE14BAFD2A84AD42318

Get out of here, stalker.

678678CD992555C1070A6284F2D0567694F2AC1D

Quite shy that guy.

29E1BCF8ECBA48A67630AF13DE27E9136F136020

Top Gun shot. Like i said, he's quite shy, so he hid underneath the dashboard.

61FB2E43AA72E3489AC73377011AED092C45F147

The Fish

Arcane
If some new doodz make it to Nahua in their crap hauler and need to get started, hit me up. Apparently we can jettison cargo without it being flagged as stolen now. I'll donate you a few tons of gold to kit out your eagle/hauler

I'm next to Nahua at the moment. And poor as fuck. It took me far too long to realise that collecting bounties from npcs fucks you over even when they're a member of a pirate faction.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

I'm next to Nahua at the moment. And poor as fuck. It took me far too long to realise that collecting bounties from npcs fucks you over even when they're a member of a pirate faction.

Send a friend invite to Ulminati in the main menu. I'll hook you up with some shinies in 9-10hrs or so when I'm home from work. :3

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What you should really do Ulminati, is a Supercruise tutorial. I still have some problems with it, I either overshoot the target, or I slow down too early. It is also strange that sometimes I can accelerate easily, and sometimes I'm stuck at 100km/s, and not being able to accelerate further.

Problem no2: I tried my first assasination misison. I had to find a Wraak ship, and I was given 3 systems where it might be. Great. The thing I did was to travel to a system and supercruise back and forth in it, looking at contacts. But I had no luck and haven't find it. Am I doing something wrong?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
What you should really do Ulminati, is a Supercruise tutorial. I still have some problems with it, I either overshoot the target, or I slow down too early. It is also strange that sometimes I can accelerate easily, and sometimes I'm stuck at 100km/s, and not being able to accelerate further.

Your maximum supercruise speed is a function of how close you are to a gravity well. Fly really close to a planet or star -> max speed is low. Deep space -> max speed is high. If you leave your throttle in the middle of the blue area, you should automatically accelerate/decelerate to slow down so you're at ~200km/s when you're 1Mm away from your destination. It'll overshoot once in a while, but not by much.

If you find yourself about to overshoot for whatever reason, try to get as close as possible to the nearest planet/moon/star as you can while zooming past. (without hitting the green sphere of FSD emergency stop). That'll help bleed off your speed faster.

Problem no2: I tried my first assasination misison. I had to find a Wraak ship, and I was given 3 systems where it might be. Great. The thing I did was to travel to a system and supercruise back and forth in it, looking at contacts. But I had no luck and haven't find it. Am I doing something wrong?

They tend to hang around near planets and moons with no space stations. Keep hitting USS'es. In the case of missions where they can be in multiple systems, there are USS'es that can spawn where NPC ships talk in the comms channel and drop hints as to where your target is hiding.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Got it. And these show up just on the contact lists or do I have to use some scanner?

praetor

Arcane
so, bought joystick, will buy game after wednesday to get some practice in the tutorial missions. haven't used a joystick in forever, and i've been meaning to replay FreeSpace (1+2) with the SCP since forever so i thought it would be good practice... but then i read the yaw axis is severely nerfed in ED. so, do you guys use the funsticks like other spasims where the stick twist is roll, or like regular aircraft sims where the twist is yaw? i've tried briefly both in FS, and i found the former more precise, but i'd rather get used to the latter if it's the superior control scheme for ED (i doubt i'll be playing any other spasim until StarCitizen comes out in the next decade so better get used to it... :)) and searching online both have their advocates, although the proponents of latter (yaw on twist) seemed to be more monocled

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
praetor -- I'm not sure buying the game now will give you access to the Beta/Gamma. You may not be able to play until Dec 16th. Better google to avoid disappointment.

As for the joystick: forward/back = pitch, left/right = roll, twist= yaw. You'll barely ever use yaw outside of aligning to dock, since it's way faster to roll+pitch.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
so, bought joystick, will buy game after wednesday to get some practice in the tutorial missions. haven't used a joystick in forever, and i've been meaning to replay FreeSpace (1+2) with the SCP since forever so i thought it would be good practice... but then i read the yaw axis is severely nerfed in ED. so, do you guys use the funsticks like other spasims where the stick twist is roll, or like regular aircraft sims where the twist is yaw? i've tried briefly both in FS, and i found the former more precise, but i'd rather get used to the latter if it's the superior control scheme for ED (i doubt i'll be playing any other spasim until StarCitizen comes out in the next decade so better get used to it... :)) and searching online both have their advocates, although the proponents of latter (yaw on twist) seemed to be more monocled
Certainly use it as in a regular aircraft, as Ulminati says, i think it is more effective in fights. It provides a more responsive control.

Also, I'm certain you can't play the game now if you preorder, the gamma is closed now. Nov 22 was the deadline.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
On another topic -- any idea what the decal slots are for in the outfitting menu? They haven't popped any in the store (tey probably will). I'm kind of hoping you can get faction insignia for free if you reach a high enough rep/rank with them. :3

praetor

Arcane
praetor -- I'm not sure buying the game now will give you access to the Beta/Gamma. You may not be able to play until Dec 16th. Better google to avoid disappointment.

As for the joystick: forward/back = pitch, left/right = roll, twist= yaw. You'll barely ever use yaw outside of aligning to dock, since it's way faster to roll+pitch.

it's not the full game, just the tutorial missions will be available to all who preordered the regular version from tomorrow until release. at least that's what Braben said at that livestream event

and thanks. will practice more the monocled way

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
>text comms in a spaceship game

Looks like CMDR Kodex Kool Kommissar (I can never get "Blaine" of course, fuck those guys) will have to set up a VoIP so you fags can... most probably make excuses about how you don't have a headset or mic in order to hide your dorky voices, but in theory you could use VoIP to communicate.

I lost all my keybindings and shit and will need to set them up properly again at some point, probably after the holidays since I have no free time at the moment.

In any event, for those of you who worship this game as the most perfectest space sim evar, see here for what I consider to be fairly valid criticisms as well as some gen-yoo-wine undelivered promised features listed in the OP. There's been an explosion of pent-up whingeing ever since offline mode got axed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom