Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Bradylama

Arcane
Anarchic systems are the best locations to go player-hunting. They will be after release as well.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
How's piracy? Yo ublast shields, deal some damage and then can open a channel and demand a surrender or you simply kill the ship and grab anything that remains?

Mortmal

Arcane
How's piracy? Yo ublast shields, deal some damage and then can open a channel and demand a surrender or you simply kill the ship and grab anything that remains?

Just kill it and grab not much, piracy is not the way to make money, you will make 100X more just trading . The bounty and the loot is not worth the time invested, even sitting at a nav beacon .

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
You can get a utility/weapon that you can shoot other ships with to force them to jettison their cargo. Most poeple don't get it though. They'd rather complain people don't drop their cargo on their own. :3

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
In other ords the only viable way for criminal carreer is smuggling ilegal goods? That sucks. I hoped in this game you can actually live by piracy adn extortion.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In other ords the only viable way for criminal carreer is smuggling ilegal goods? That sucks. I hoped in this game you can actually live by piracy adn extortion.
Well I guess nobody is stopping you to blackmail a trader, and make him pay money, otherwise you blow him up with his goods.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
No, I hoped there will be a developed system of extortion, treats etc. with AI being able to evaluate his chances of survival and send messages for help to nearby bounty hunters\police forces.

Mortmal

Arcane
Well I guess nobody is stopping you to blackmail a trader, and make him pay money, otherwise you blow him up with his goods.

You wont blackmail a trader, any sane trader will do all his trade solo, and only log in combat ship.

You can get a utility/weapon that you can shoot other ships with to force them to jettison their cargo. Most poeple don't get it though. They'd rather complain people don't drop their cargo on their own. :3

Not seen anything like that availlable, but i also noticed the starting sectors are a lot more fleshed out than the far away new ones. In those sectors even the bulleting board can be blank, while on core sectors, theres even spefiici piracy order in freeport, and conflict zones.Maybe i missed stuff by exploring far away.
Well ven if i had that weapon, its only worth it if they carrry palladium and such, most of goods are really cheap for the huge risk you take.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Not seen anything like that availlable, but i also noticed the starting sectors are a lot more fleshed out than the far away new ones. In those sectors even the bulleting board can be blank, while on core sectors, theres even spefiici piracy order in freeport, and conflict zones.Maybe i missed stuff by exploring far away.
Well ven if i had that weapon, its only worth it if they carrry palladium and such, most of goods are really cheap for the huge risk you take.

Hatch breaker limpet controller. You shoot it at a ship whose shields are down, then the cargo spills into space. Then you tell them they have 10 secs to gtfo before you kill them and scoop up their stuff. Or just kill them and scoop up their stuff.

The high-grade limpets tend to make them poop out 7-12 tons of cargo (assuming they had that much when you shot them)

Bradylama

Arcane
You also still have the option of shooting out the cargo hatch and forcing them to jettison the vast majority of cargo, but that's MLG gaymerz only.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Phew, almost bought the beta access for Elite. Thankfully I came to my senses. No wai Sol access is worth it. Any idea what D1P price will be?

€40 I believe. If you preorder, you get an eagle on top of your sidewinder. But you can get that in 4-5 hours of play with a sidewinder. Less if you know what you're doing.
And you can still get Sol access. You just have to suck up to the federation and do a lot of jobs for them/kill a shitload of imperials.

[edit]

The one real treat beta backers get is a head start on regular scrubs. There's a wipe on Nov 22nd when the game goes "Gamma". All progess after that is saved. SO when the hrdes of newbies in sidewinders flock to the game on Dec 16th, we'll be sitting around with kitted out dropships and cobras, interdicting and murdering you. >:3

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Phew, almost bought the beta access for Elite. Thankfully I came to my senses. No wai Sol access is worth it. Any idea what D1P price will be?

€40 I believe. If you preorder, you get an eagle on top of your sidewinder. But you can get that in 4-5 hours of play with a sidewinder. Less if you know what you're doing.
And you can still get Sol access. You just have to suck up to the federation and do a lot of jobs for them/kill a shitload of imperials.

[edit]

The one real treat beta backers get is a head start on regular scrubs. There's a wipe on Nov 22nd when the game goes "Gamma". All progess after that is saved. SO when the hrdes of newbies in sidewinders flock to the game on Dec 16th, we'll be sitting around with kitted out dropships and cobras, interdicting and murdering you. >:3
Joke's on you, I won't touch the multiplayer.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Cowards_Die_In_Shame_by_BioHazaRd_Apocalypse.jpg

bonescraper

This is quite dumb. Elite is a "MMO" only in the scale department. Other than that, it's just a space game with multiplayer. Don't expect system wide chat, guilds and other MMO shit. You literally won't notice the difference between NPCs and players most of the time. So, if you're playing solo because you're afraid of being killed by other people, that's pathethic.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
This is quite dumb. Elite is a "MMO" only in the scale department. Other than that, it's just a space game with multiplayer. Don't expect system wide chat, guilds and other MMO shit. You literally won't notice the difference between NPCs and players most of the time. So, if you're playing solo because you're afraid of being killed by other people, that's pathethic.
I play solo because I hate people, specially you.

Branm

Learned
Hope they fix that in the direction of a more complete economic model.

One of the things I always disliked about the old Elites was that it was so easy to make money via trading.

And by that I dont mean that they should reduce the general profitability of trading. But they should make it less dependent on the amount of time you spend on hauling and more on your creativity in constantly finding new trade routes, on your ability to exploit dynamic economic connections and on your willigness to constantly venture into more dangerous but also more profitable areas of space.

Does this mean the economy isnt modeled like it is in Eve with supply/demand on literally everything?

Bradylama

Arcane
That's roughly their intent. Prices reflect both demand and supply. The more the supply the lower the demand and the lower the price. Primary difference between this and Eve is that there are no player-owned corporations. You own your ships and that's about it.

Branm

Learned
Are the ships built out of minerals though? I guess since its not a real sandbox mmo and I'm expecting way too much.

For instance in Eve if a huge super cap fight happens prices for such basic minerals as Trit will skyrocket due too so much of it being used in just building 1 titan etc.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
No. We've been over the economy model such as it is a dozen times in this thread already.

Stations have some goods they produce and some goods they require as defined by the system economy. Bringing stuff they require increases the rate at which they produce stuff. The greater their supply of a good, the less it costs to buy. The greater their demand of a good, the more they'll pay for it. supply/demand stockpiles (and subsequent prices) are updated in real time as players move things about. If a station has a supply/demand over a certain treshold, missions to transport that good are generated on nearby bulletin boards.

Ships are bought with credits from places with shipyards. Player crafting is not in the game, was never promised and is unlikely to show up. Ship modules are generated the same way as most other goods. If you supply a shipyard station with materials, it generates X modules from a list of modules it knows after a while, so long as its inventory isn't full. There's no "Bring 10 palladium to Aulin Enterprise for guaranteed Class A3 Power distributor".

Last edited:
If the singleplayer and multiplayer are completely separate beasts yet you can easily transfer a singleplayer character over to a multiplayer game, what stops me from launching singleplayer, memory editing a few values to give myself an ungodly amount of credits, then hop onto multiplayer?
Please tell me there's a decent cheating/hacking protection in place.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If the singleplayer and multiplayer are completely separate beasts yet you can easily transfer a singleplayer character over to a multiplayer game, what stops me from launching singleplayer, memory editing a few values to give myself an ungodly amount of credits, then hop onto multiplayer?
Please tell me there's a decent cheating/hacking protection in place.
I'm not sure where, but I recall reading that the multiplayer saves are stored in the cloud, so I don't know how it would be possible to edit those files. I think if you want to run a singleplayer game, where you want to be able to join the multiplayer, you have to use the cloud saves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom