Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
My launcher just began updating! :bounce:

NEW FEATURES & CONTENT
- New ship - Imperial Clipper added
- New ship - Federal Dropship added
- Added player driven interdiction
- Players can now interdict NPC ships and the NPC will be recreated in normal space along with the player (player interdiction is also possible)
- Fuel scooping from stars added
- Asteroid mining added (metal and rock)
- Players can own multiple ships

- Play area expanded (capsule 350ly long, radius 37 ly - 2400+ systems)
- Planet visuals overhaul
- Planet liquid colours now reflect chemical composition
- Atmospheric colours now reflecting their chemical composition
- Surface types and colours now reflect chemical composition

- Planets display volcanic features
- Complex Craters can create dust ejecta
- Crater frequency dependent on atmosphere thickness
- Ice planets now have fracture features
- Dynamic ice caps on all planets
- Dynamic liquid levels on all planets
- Asteroid belt clusters added
- Nebulae added to galaxy map
- Nebulae added to sky map rendering
- Make outpost landing pads more zero-g
- Status panel now shows faction reputation
- Improved range display and route finding in galaxy map
- Philanthropy missions added
- Partial name searching added to galaxy map

- Additional ships added to loading screen

O GOD ITZ HEAVAN!

Last edited:

Bradylama

Arcane
- Planet liquid colours now reflect chemical composition
- Atmospheric colours now reflecting their chemical composition
- Surface types and colours now reflect chemical composition

855988.gif

bonescraper

16A90D008F19B5C42F4581050FC287691EE0BBB9

Looks like we can store a small ship inside the Anaconda now? (and by we i mean the onepercenters T_T)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Naw, the stored ships is a list of ships you own but aren't flying -- in case you want to do trade-ins.

bonescraper

Read. The. Ship. Description.

Also, my Cobra now has 3 decal slots. Pretty cool, but i guess those, just like paint jobs, will be sold separately?

EF61A3292095B887F4929FE014BB3B0B372B25D9

3C482E0EA82A55E0BE9BE8259270A16C680D6B97

What an original name.
F2A828BC9CE71578448B1C2D54F0EB135B60BC04

E6F024C8E37BE7C03765893B14DE924255643945

Fuel scooping isn't as useful as i thought it could be. It only refules the jump drive. After 5 minutes in supercruise i still need to find a space station.

Anyway, beta 3 is the smoothest and most stable release so far. So if anyone's on the fence and would like to jump in early, this is a good time to do that. The game releases this year anyway, so there's what? Max 2 months till release? And just like SuicideBunny said, it's a good time to familiarize yourself with the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azazel

Arbiter
How does the Imperial Clipper have more hull mass than a fucking Anaconda? :retarded:

Missions are hugely bugged right now.

Don't accidentally turn off silent running while parked because turning it back on again doesn't work. I idled on the station for a while, launched to find this, and exploded shortly thereafter:

CW31g2A.jpg

bonescraper

Can anyone tell me what the fuck is up with fuel consumption? When i fly moderately fast in supercruise my fuel buns out crazy fast. But every time i come close to a station to refuel, it automagically replenishes itself. I'm nearly out of fuel, and then i'm at max fuel again. Is this a bug or what?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So it turns out mining is rather tedious -- who'd have thought? :M

There's some DISCUSS!!ion going on at the official forums about this. The main complaint is that the refinery requires a lot of micromanagement; the cr/min are way too low because of shitty yields and there's no real skill involved in pointing a flashlight at a static asteroid. The refinery is also kind of shitty at the moment. Every time you've collected enough rocks to process a unit of ore, you have to manaually decide whether to keep/discard it (no autoprocess at the moment). And if you have a partial ore unit, you can't queue up rocks with different ores in them. It's fixable of course and that's what betas are for.

For the refinery, the simple way would be to make rocks take up 4-5x as much space as the ore and going directly into your cargo bay. That way you could scoop up a bunch of rocks and process everything in one go. It'd make it a bit harder to mine in ships with tiny cargo capability, but I don't really see a problem with that. If you're going mining, you're probably carrying a hauler anyway. For further decreased tedium, it could be nice to have a utility mount drone for gathering rocks as they break free, or at the very least reducing the speed they move at so you can mine bigger batches at once.

For the credits/hour issues and lack of actual skill, we need better scanners. Ideally a way to scan asteroids and have "hot spots" highlighted with vastly increased ore yields. Instead of just pointing blindly at one asteroid, we'd have to maneuver around and find the good spots. Frontier has confirmed we're getting mineral scanners Soon™. I just hope the mineral yield won't be identical no matter where you point your laz0r.

On a more positive note, I love the interdiction minigame. I nearly got killed in interdiction once because I got interdicted close to a star and I was overheating while desperately trying to escape the interdiction tether. As minigames go, it's gud. You're trying to maneuver towards a moving "escape" vector while the other guy is trying to move towards a moving "approach" vector. The better you are at aiming towards yours, the more the other guys will move around. Whoever reaches a treshold of pointing towards their moving vector first "wins". If you try to escape an interdiction (you can submit to the interdiction by throttling down) and fail, you take a little damage. If you escape or submit, you take none. The interdiction takes just the right amount of time to get exciting without being a chore. And you're actually flying around in supercruise during the interdiction (like when I nearly burned ot a crisp). I had an interdiction escape that failed and other ships joined in shortly after our fight started because we were zigzagging around near a crowded space port.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well mining is usually the more boring activity in space sims or similar games (khm..EVE Online), but as you suggested, they can be a little more exciting, if you have to use your brain and skill while scanning and finding the correct asteroids (just like in EVE Online). I hope they fix it, because I like to carebare from time to time, and mining is great for that.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The refinery module really needs some automation as well. At the moment, if you pick up, say a 0.10 unit copper rock, you can't pick up non-copper rocks unless you empty the refinery first (right panel, navigate to module, purge). Also, if you're scooping up rocks and the refinery reaches 1.0 units worth of ore, you have to process and empty the refinery before you can pick up further rocks. It requires too much silly micromanagement - typically while you're in the middle of another activity (scooping).

Last edited:

titus

Arcane
Patron
Beta 3.01 will be available by 11:00 GMT - the servers will go down before that to implement the update.

You can see the full change log below:

- Protect against infinite loop when generating profiling report from server
- Stop memory error on shutdown causing a crash
- Prevent a null launch pad crashing the game
- Fix crash caused by rings in galaxy map
- Fix server telemetry crash
- Fix crash from broken mission template
- Fix crash from shield bank replication
- Fix for shadow crash on launch pads that aren’t ready
- Fix resource naming for bounty hunter loadout
- Fix crash in icon instance buffers
- Fix for crash when unable to lock vertex buffer for line rendering
- Add debugging to help find missing asteroid chunks
- Fix hardcoded '9000' energy per unit mass which should be '90000', and is causing fuel to run our really quickly
- New time formatter added that shows time as 16h 32min rather than 16:32 - resolves ambiguity in situations where the number doesn't rapidly change
- Added new layers for alpha deferred emissive support – stops some cockpit items sorting incorrectly
- Fixed render sorting issues with emissive materials rendering behind deferred elements
- Alt-tabbing game fixed
- Game starting on wrong monitor fixed
- Mouse not working on multi-monitor fixed
- Ensure we send the ROUTE letter to all the servers we connect to, not just the first – fixes missing NPC’s in session
- Protect against failing to get the launch bay interface when saving
- Fix the ship preview failing to darken when the pause menu is displayed on top of it
- Server now refreshes its mission information when a client connects, meaning that returning to a server before it has forgotten about you will not leave stale data there
- Clamp Wear-and-Tear values to a sensible range

Additional server-side updates have been implemented over the last 24 hours:

- Fixed issue with fines being awarded but unpayable. Newly issued fines should now be payable in any space station allied with the same issuing Major Faction (Alliance, Federation, or Empire)
- Existing unpayable fines will be made payable shortly.
- Allow hardpoints to contain enough ammunition for the point defence turrets
- Number of reliability and performance improvements
- Stopped fines being generated when a reward is given on completing a mission

Keep the feedback coming. Similarly to Beta 2, there will be further updates as the team spot any further issues. Thanks for playing Beta 3 - it's only as smooth as it is thanks to your ticketing and feedback.

Cheers

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Thank god they fixed alt-tabbing. Skype calls were messing with my game time yesterday. bonescraper will be happy to learn about the fuel fix.

bonescraper

Oh, great... So you're spamming me with penises while sitting comfortably inside Azeban City when i'm trying to cool down my Type 6 after a hyperspace jump with a star in front of my face. Enjoy your 66k fine.

BTW 3 patches in one day? Those guys are busy today.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
So looks like I got to pay 50£ for beta and merc edition activated on the release. Fair enough. I loved playing Freelancer but missed previous Elite games. Is it worth to join ya boyz?

titus

Arcane
Patron
The game is worth it. Joining the beta? maybe... It's cool to experiment stuff and not be clueless before the game is actually released but that's pretty much it.

bonescraper

So looks like I got to pay 50£ for beta and merc edition activated on the release. Fair enough. I loved playing Freelancer but missed previous Elite games. Is it worth to join ya boyz?
Well if you really want to pay extra to jump in, go ahead. But like i said, it's one, max one and a half month till release. The game at this point has plenty to offer, but it's quite unbalanced. Space truckin' is the fastest way to make money, then it's bounty hunting. Mining and exploration on the other hand is a waste of time atm (cash-wise). Exploration can be pretty satisfying though.

The game is pretty complex and there's no general guide or tutorial or even manual at this point. So it's nice to get the hang of things early. Especially when your only experience with a game of this type before was Freelancer. Don't expect tractor beams, autodocking, enemy compass... and you'll also have to get used to the ship controls, i sucked hard at the beggining. Oh, and prepare to die and lose all your progress early on :D That feeling when you crash your first bought ship, and you can't afford the insurance fee to get it back... priceless :p

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom