Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

The Fish

Arcane
My enthusiasm has been restrained somewhat by the latest release what with the low encounter rate with other players and changes to the flight model but this new peek of the week looks great. It's a preview of the star fuel scooping system.

peek_of_the_week_54.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My enthusiasm has been restrained somewhat by the latest release what with the low encounter rate with other players
Well it is a beta, not many people can afford a beta version. I assume after release there will be an influx of players.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Outside of the core systems (and even in the core, mostly in conflict zones and near the busiest space ports) it should still be fairly rare to encounter other players. Even after release. There's a whole galaxy for them to hide in after all.

Hopefully they'll expand on the FSD wake scanner to let you hunt/hide from other players. Probably when they implement frame shift interdiction.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Outside of the core systems (and even in the core, mostly in conflict zones and near the busiest space ports) it should still be fairly rare to encounter other players. Even after release. There's a whole galaxy for them to hide in after all.
And this is how it should be done. Even one solar system is enourmusly huge, it makes sence that there are no traffic jams in it.

But yeah, there should be scanners which can be used to track other players.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
My enthusiasm has been restrained somewhat by the latest release what with the low encounter rate with other players
Well it is a beta, not many people can afford a beta version. I assume after release there will be an influx of players.
There's already over 75,000 people playing the beta FYI :smug:
Woa, that's nat bad. The game must be fucking huge if you can hardly meet players with this number.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's 75k players total afaik, not 75k concurrent.

That said, the current beta is 500 systems, with a handful of 'hot spots' (space stations, conflict zones, extraction zones, signal sources) in each. Compount this with the # of players currently inside hangars trading or playing private/solo and you're probably looking at only a few people flying around in a star system at any given time.

Azazel

Arbiter
I'm not sure if the traffic stats for each system count NPC ships as well as players, but if they don't then there's a couple hundred players going through even very obscure systems at the far end of the "pill" every 24 hours.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Pretty sure they count npcs. I saw 2 lakon-9 in a traffic log minutes after beta2 went live

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Multiple Ships in Beta 3
We are delighted to confirm that the feature where you can own multiple ships, which we announced a few weeks ago when launching our pre-order Mercenary Pack, will be included in Beta 3 on October 28th.

This will let you have any number of ships ‘parked’ at any number of shipyards, rather than having to part-exchange them.

When coupled with the enhanced ship outfitting and mission systems from Beta 2, you can see how this will really expand your possibilities in Elite: Dangerous.
How you distribute your personal fleet is up to you; you could concentrate them all in one area, or have them strategically distributed around the galaxy.

There are no restrictions on the number or type of ships you can have or how you outfit them other than the in-game money you need to buy them.

If for example you are a die-hard Cobra fan, you can have multiple Cobras loaded out differently for different mission profiles, trading, exploration, piracy etc. as the situation or your mood demands.
Conversely if you want to experience the advantages a range of different ships bring you, you can keep every ship you buy in the game and mix and match the capability of an Anaconda, the combat agility of an Eagle, the range of an Asp Explorer and the profit from a Lakon Type 9.

Or you can do any combination of these, owning multiple types of any or all ships.

MULTIPLE SHIPS!
:happytrollboy:

Drakron

Arcane
Well I am going to say this despite not being involved on this, I dont disagree with multiple ships BUT there should be parking fees and limits on bases to how many ships can a individual player can park there even if some places could be pretty much unlimited (like planets).

Bradylama

Arcane
Somebody has to maintain your ship while you're 100 star systems away. Having to pay fees to continue owning it makes sense. Maybe if you have good relationships with the faction or system government, you could get a discount.

Drakron

Arcane
Well its more that it takes space, space that a ship that needs maintenance or loading/unloading could use and on big planetary starports that not might be a issue but on space stations with much more limited space? that would be and even a starport would need to collect a fee for their own maintance fees of the installation were they are being housed, this is just storage costs only.

I dont know were this is going but would make sense storage fees would be higher the smaller the place you were want to store it on, this would mean main planets would be not much of a cost since they have the space and the infrastructure but a deep space station would ask for a lot more, this would mean if you want a fleet of ships you could but accessibility to it would not be on a dime, main hub worlds would not cost much, some cost at least to dissuade from having 300+ ships parked and if you want to be on the frontier it would likely come with a much bigger cost.

Norfleet

Somebody has to maintain your ship while you're 100 star systems away. Having to pay fees to continue owning it makes sense. Maybe if you have good relationships with the faction or system government, you could get a discount.
Well, if it's anything like the Elite I remember, I figure you would continue to have to pay crew wages. The notion of a fee paid JUST to own the ship doesn't make much sense, but it stands to reason you might have to continue to pay your crew and docking berth fees. If you're parking a single-man fighter in a cave on an airless rock in outer bumfuck, then I don't see why you'd have to pay anything for this.

Executr

Cipher
Looks amazing. I backed on basic pledge level, so I'm eagerly waiting for it to release. Unfortunately I haven't been following closely the recent updates, but the news about the fuel scoop on stars is great, at least for me, because I'm planning on being an explorer mostly.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Will wait for release......... too many kickstarter projects that didn't deliver or are eternal alpha.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Anyone actually playing this with Oculus Rift?

Me (with the DK2). And it's really awesome. The consumer version of the Oculus really need another big resolution bump though.

I'm playing solo, don't care about the MMO stuff.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Is there any Bulletin/news system in the game already? I remember spending shiload of time just reading them as a kid. Was really shoked when I realized they are not pre-made but you can actually be mentioned in it, like with after nuke bombing of Valhalla for that terrorist faction for hefty load of cash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom