Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Siege - How the hell was this ever popular?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It felt like half-life in a way. You kept going despite not really knowing what you were doing.

kangaroodev

Educated
I don't know how to feel about dungeon siege... I remember playing this from those PC demo CDs and I replayed the demo of the game several times back then, I thought it was absolutely great. So I figured that I should get the full game + the expansion.

Then I got the full game, and I progressed past the area where the demo ends, I think it was some tower. The enjoyment kept diminishing as I got further because it just got repetitive, simple as that. The only tactic that I used is bait one or two powerful enemies and kill them, then repeat, as I was playing on some higher difficulty setting. I thought it would get better but the whole game stayed like that, in other games like in torchlight 2/titan quest I had to use a bit more diverse tactics that just baiting enemies.

If it only had more ways to beat enemies, and it wasn't so repetitive it could had been some of the greatest ARPGs. Listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxwCsV2nzTw

The soundtrack was fucking amazing, the map was awesome (I know it's linear) and it was actually a bit scary to reach the first crypt. I felt like each area had a different enough theme to be enjoyable. I just don't know what to say because I wanted to finish the game because it starts off great, and it's just too repetitive to finish. Besides that the soundtrack, the areas, monster design, even the UI was awesome as hell. I don't remember almost anything from the story though.

So OP I would say that the game was popular because it was a well made game, but the content in it was just enough to keep you interested for a few hours, then nothing new would keep you interested so you play the 20+ hours and finish it, at least that's what I think. A shame because it clearly had some love in it.

kangaroodev

Educated
Oh god damn it, watching Ross's Game Dungeon video and re-listening to the OST just makes me feel guilty about giving this game up, the first time I played it did actually feel like an adventure and the music man... it just draws me in the game (don't know how Ross doesn't think the OST is great though). It's just that it got so repetitive after a few hours, maybe I'll try Ross's advice and completely dump magic in this game. Hopefully I don't get bored of it again, it's hard to just abandon it because a lot of effort went into it, and for a 2002 game it's really impressive.

Cadmus

Arcane
It was a Diablo-like with a nice multiplayer, good graphics, good atmosphere and good music.
I never played more than a few hours, DS2 was also total shit but bigger and better so I played some of that even recently in MP and it was the boringest slog ever.

The skill "system" was quite innovative for a Diablo clone and I remember the time when it came out everyone wanted more Diablo clones.
The game is boring as shit, you can't do shit with your characters, it plays itself and as the OP says you always have to take some fucking detour around some fucking obstacle in your way (this is insane in DS2 especially).

kangaroo change your fucking avatar I get so confused reading your posts

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Space Siege, yuck.
Removing body parts for mechanical replacements, all this to give +5% boost in something. And these human nature question? They're not here, pfffff....

But they are! In a way.

Seth's story revolves around his experiences with cybernetic experimentation. As the game progresses, Seth will be capable of replacing body parts, such as his arms, eyes, or even his lungs, with mechanical parts that will make him better...stronger...faster. These parts will also grant him special abilities that will make the game much easier than it would be otherwise. However, as you increase the amount of Seth's cybernetic upgrades, his "humanity meter" will drain. This acts as a kind of default difficulty setting for the game; you won't switch from easy to hard mode as you get better, but will instead be able to set the level of challenge by either withholding upgrades or going for broke and attempting to make Seth into a walking robot.

Chris Taylor and GPG also use the humanity meter as a way to bridge the divide between casual and hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers will be able to compete with each other by attempting to complete the game with the fewest cybernetic add-ons, while players who simply want to relax and have fun will be able to upgrade themselves fully and enjoy blasting their enemies.

Codexlurker

Savant
The soundtrack was fucking amazing
I'll agree with that.

Would no way in hell play the game again though. Walking every few steps and killing hordes of enemies gets old 2-3 hours in.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Space Siege, yuck.
Removing body parts for mechanical replacements, all this to give +5% boost in something. And these human nature question? They're not here, pfffff....

But they are! In a way.

Seth's story revolves around his experiences with cybernetic experimentation. As the game progresses, Seth will be capable of replacing body parts, such as his arms, eyes, or even his lungs, with mechanical parts that will make him better...stronger...faster. These parts will also grant him special abilities that will make the game much easier than it would be otherwise. However, as you increase the amount of Seth's cybernetic upgrades, his "humanity meter" will drain. This acts as a kind of default difficulty setting for the game; you won't switch from easy to hard mode as you get better, but will instead be able to set the level of challenge by either withholding upgrades or going for broke and attempting to make Seth into a walking robot.

Chris Taylor and GPG also use the humanity meter as a way to bridge the divide between casual and hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers will be able to compete with each other by attempting to complete the game with the fewest cybernetic add-ons, while players who simply want to relax and have fun will be able to upgrade themselves fully and enjoy blasting their enemies.

Can somebody who's played Space Siege confirm that it's piss-easy even with no cybernetic parts

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I only played until the first cybernetic part, but it was really easy. Like, there was a "run, there are too many of them" scripted moment, but I could comfortably stand there killing them as fast as they come.

And from the GameFAQs walkthough:

You should have no problem completing the game staying 100% Human, but by avoiding Cybergenics you kind of miss out on an aspect of fun gameplay, because Cybernetics make you very powerful.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fucking terrible game(s).

Dungeon Siege III should never have been in the same series seeing as how it's completely different, but it is a pretty fun action-game (with some minor RPG bits). Way more fun than the first two if you ask me.

Dungeon 3 was utter shit and a good slap in the face of Obshitian fanboys because they took a game known for lage party sizes and reduced it to a below mediocre diablo clone. DS2 was probably the best of the bunch, the gameplay was actually fun, there was more character building than choosing which weapon/spell to use and those characters could do more than autocast/autoattack.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Dungeon 3 was utter shit and a good slap in the face of Obshitian fanboys because they took a game known for lage party sizes and reduced it to a below mediocre diablo clone. DS2 was probably the best of the bunch, the gameplay was actually fun, there was more character building than choosing which weapon/spell to use and those characters could do more than autocast/autoattack.

Ahahahah oh my, Dungeon Shit was epic in its 'tardness and its pathetic sequel didn't even register, it was ignored and forgotten so fast. Almost as fast as Fallout 4.

DS3 wisely just did its own thing. Certainly the best Dungeon Shit out there, but then again, they're all shit.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

Ahahahah oh my, Dungeon Shit was epic in its 'tardness and its pathetic sequel didn't even register, it was ignored and forgotten so fast. Almost as fast as Fallout 4.

DS3 wisely just did its own thing. Certainly the best Dungeon Shit out there, but then again, they're all shit.

bullshit, just look at DS3's metacritic ( :smug: ), it doesn't even compare with the first 2. It's too bad DS2 didn't do better but that was because of its obscurity, it's a genuinely good game unlike the mediocre 1 and terrible 3.

it didn't even "do its own thing", it was a really shitty vanilla diablo clone whereas DS1 and 2 are fairly unique.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
bullshit, just look at DS3's metacritic ( :smug: ), it doesn't even compare with the first 2. It's too bad DS2 didn't do better but that was because of its obscurity, it's a genuinely good game unlike the mediocre 1 and terrible 3.

it didn't even "do its own thing", it was a really shitty vanilla diablo clone whereas DS1 and 2 are fairly unique.
Didn't you Bethestards disavow Metacritic after your shitgame 4 failed there?

DS3 did it's own thing, with regard to Dungeon Shit and Dungeon Shit 2, never said DS3 was an original thing. Just that it completely, and wisely, ditched whatever the fuck they shat out with the previous Duegeon Shits.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Nobody bombed DS3 (because nobody played it). Its reviews are pretty bad on steam too. The main thing DS3 did was turn it from a party game (complex) to a single character game (dumbed down), so I'm not surprised retards here think it was an improvement.

pippin

Dungeon Siege series wasalways bad and there's no use in denying it.The problem with ds3 wasn't the departure from the formula, but also the usualcomplaint about Obsidian's bugs.

Although to be honest I'm quite surprised by the reaction to the change of style. Didn't knew DS had such a strong fanbase...

kangaroodev

Educated
ok, then at least stop posting gay shit like how you love pixel art, I almost got a heart attack from reading what I thought was my post
You don't like pixel art? That's a shame, because there are some really good looking pixel art games out there. One of the better examples is Dungeon Fighter Online because the team working on it put a massive amount of effort into it. Fortune Summoners also looks great, I don't think any other style would suit these games.

And sorry but I really like the nameless hero, I love gothic.

Tigranes

Arcane
The most surprising thing about DS3 was all the random people coming out of the woodwork to join the Obsidian forums and complain that they were changing everything about the franchise. Which was true, but who thought anyone would miss it?

The most instructive thing about this thread is how many Codexers are neutral-positive about Progress Quest: Screensaver Edition

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I was at a friend's house when i first saw DS. It had just come out. He had a small party and was struggling through one of the first dungeons.
I said i could solo it if i wanted to. They dared me and so i did. Since the xp was shared and my character didn't had to share it with anyone i breezed through the whole game as a melee character.

The game was pretty but long and boring. Boy it did felt long. At the very end i had 3 donkeys just to carry my loot.
I bragged at school, that i had finished the game with just one character, just to find out that they stopped playing a week ago. They never even got to the half of it. What a waste...

The most surprising thing about DS3 was all the random people coming out of the woodwork to join the Obsidian forums and complain that they were changing everything about the franchise. Which was true, but who thought anyone would miss it?
Thats odd. Even more so when DS2 was already somewhat different than the first. I haven't played DS3 and i don't plan to since i had enough of this serie for a lifetime. How different was it? Less automated?

Edit: Nevermind, just read Mastermind's posts.

Last edited:

Shevek

Arcane
Didn't play it for more that 15 minutes or so. A truly crappy game. Maybe people liked it because they could drink coffee and watch the news while playing.

Tigranes

Arcane
Shadowfang DS3 basically is an entirely different game. It's an ARPG. It's got some nice ideas and, surprisingly for an Obsidian ARPG, can get into a pretty good flow and be pretty challenging on hardest difficulty. It's also a very polished release, and now the only game that will ever feature Obsidian's in-house Onyx engine. However, the story is forgettable (true to ARPG conventions), and as expected for an ARPG made by a not-ARPG dev, it's not going to compete with the real big guns in that genre. It's got nothing in common with DS1/2, and might be good for a bargain bin decently fun action romp.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I only played until the first cybernetic part, but it was really easy. Like, there was a "run, there are too many of them" scripted moment, but I could comfortably stand there killing them as fast as they come.

And from the GameFAQs walkthough:

You should have no problem completing the game staying 100% Human, but by avoiding Cybergenics you kind of miss out on an aspect of fun gameplay, because Cybernetics make you very powerful.
Staying 100% human was required to get the girl.

Duraframe300

Arcane

The most instructive thing about this thread is how many Codexers are neutral-positive about Progress Quest: Screensaver Edition

Codex got nothing on them even.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom