Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Siege - How the hell was this ever popular?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
That DS2 mod to play DS1 was pretty brutal. There was a diablo mod as well. I think you could switch up mods on the fly. I made a guy who ended up with like 6-7 wolves running around as companions. I forget the name.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
DS1 is not a bad game if you play it on hard, and you can't just set it to play itself.
Most areas have decent encounter design (one underground passage is mostly trash mobs, though), with some clever use of enemy reinforcements and ambushes., that will keep you on your toes.
So you either play it on hard with lots of micro-management of your squad, and curse at your squad for not following orders, or you play it on normal and quit out of sheer boredom since it's too easy.

I love Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate and Diablo 2, and this game is like a cross between them, so it worked for me. But there's no C&C, T&A or romances, nor a very original setting (it's slightly original in being based on the Roman withdrawal from Britain), so not material for Codex Approval.

Lemming42 DS2 is a significantly better game. The plot and cutscenes are cheese, but the gameplay is a notable improvement. It has a small skill tree system and cooldowns, but the abilities are satisfying enough to where I didn't care. Encounters are more engaging and it has unique enemies. Enemies in general have more thought and effort put into them. Loot is vastly improved with uniques and sets. There are more secrets and things to find, which is a major positive for me. Overall the game feels like a party based Diablo 2 in the best way possible. I don't know if DS2 is worth a play with everything out there today, but it was fun enough for me to play it twice back in 2008 or so.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I can concur that the beginning of DS1 is like real life but instead of Krugs I saw rats. I cannot spin my farm tools around like a ninja though (well, maybe with practice). I dunno why my neighbor's field was on fire though. Deer ate all my plants in the garden.

Ah.. but so many dead... rats.

No music irl though. Psh. I need to mod this reality.

I never booted up DS3.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'd rather have a platter of deer steak than a picture. But i guess both would be great. The deer head on a pole watching me chow down some venison steaks.

(Me) "You're delicious!"

(deer) "Why thank you."

Dungeon Siege is a pretty good game. Remember playing it on local netwrok. Just a bunch of bros blasting skeletons with goblin bazookas. Good time. Maybe filipepe should consider early retirement.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I still say watching those Krug puppies chase each other was cute. Like little pit bull puppies.

Then I slaughtered the Krugs and their pups because... that's what you do in DS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom