Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

La vie sexuelle

Learned
It's been in development for seven or eight years, it would be incredibly foolish to add a new combat system now.
Has it? I somehow doubt it has been in full development for 8 years. Even then, it didn't take too much work to get a turn-based system working in Pathfinder and Pillars of Eternity 2. If you have an RPG system with abilities, it wouldn't take a tremendous rework to put in a turn-based option. It won't be a good turn-based option, probably mostly due to the amount of trash fights everywhere that RTwP invites, but it's going to be there for those who want it. I'm not expecting it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is one.

Judging by the leaked gameplay, Bioware is trying to make something like Dark Souls (Why? "Because it's popular," an EA executive shouted).

I admit, that if, under the influence of BG3, they try to quickly create a turn-based system, it will be something to laugh at.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Has it? I somehow doubt it has been in full development for 8 years
Anthem - 7 years, 2012-2019.
End result from game journos perspective: Whoop-Dee-DOO!
HieAr2w.jpg

Dreadwolf have a great and...ahem, ACHIEVABLE goals ahead.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's been in development for seven or eight years, it would be incredibly foolish to add a new combat system now.
Has it? I somehow doubt it has been in full development for 8 years. Even then, it didn't take too much work to get a turn-based system working in Pathfinder and Pillars of Eternity 2. If you have an RPG system with abilities, it wouldn't take a tremendous rework to put in a turn-based option. It won't be a good turn-based option, probably mostly due to the amount of trash fights everywhere that RTwP invites, but it's going to be there for those who want it. I'm not expecting it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is one.

"Dragon Age 4" has but this is the third iteration. Laidlaw's Dragon Age 4 was canceled in late 2017 and its live-service replacement was reconfigured into becoming a single player game in early 2021.

Pathfinder and Deadfire aren't big unwieldy AAA-games. Steering these ships is difficult and time-consuming. They're having enough trouble as it is shipping the game they're trying to make.

Judging by the leaked gameplay, Bioware is trying to make something like Dark Souls (Why? "Because it's popular," an EA executive shouted).

Bioware exec. It's always been Bioware making the decisions, with the exceptions of broad goals like "we expect this amount of revenue per quarter" and "you need to use our propriety engine on your games from now on" and "there must be a multiplayer/live-service component."

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Bioware exec. It's always been Bioware making the decisions, with the exceptions of broad goals like "we expect this amount of revenue per quarter" and "you need to use our propriety engine on your games from now on" and "there must be a multiplayer/live-service component."

I have never had any doubts about this. EA's relationship with Bioware is like between cartoon villain and a goofy sidekick.

Real stock photo of a Bioware employee:
FqPw-ZyXgAAs-wT

Tytus

Arcane

Choosing Frostbite seemingly was Bioware's decision too. It was influenced by EA, of course. From what I remember, Mark Darrah was talking about on his YouTube channel. He basically said something to the extent of that EA was pleased with DA2. As it had a short dev cycle, didn't cost that much, but also made decent money. So EA was looking forward to a project that would be a similar scope as the next installment. But Bioware was already pushing the limits of the Eclipse engine. So, they needed a new engine. They had the option of buying one, building one or using the one EA already had. And since EA wanted something like DA2 again. They basically decided to "stretch the truth". Went with Frostbite because that way they could promise a cheaper, faster production, while also hoping that in a year or two the management at EA will change, and they will get more money and time. Which did happen. But this decision locked them into Frostbite for the next 12/13 years. So, basically, they chose Frostbite to suck up to EA and gamble that EA will throw more money at them when they won't deliver the game in the time they promised.

9ted6

Educated

Are they that different? My theory of Larian is that they're more-or-less what BioWare could potentially have become, if the Biodocs had cared more about gameplay than cinematics and not been afraid to take some risks. (Except that their games would have been RTwP rather than turn-based of course.)

You can look at Neverwinter Nights and see the path not taken. That game could have been the evolutionary stepping stone towards a BioWare "Divinity: Original Sin-like", but instead it was filed away as a historical curiosity.

The Infinitron Theory of BioWare validated: https://www.gamesradar.com/bioware-...es-dragon-age-had-been-more-neverwinter-like/

BioWare vet says Mass Effect and Dragon Age got "too homogenous," wishes Dragon Age had been more "Neverwinter-like"​

Trip down memory lane

A former BioWare veteran wishes that the studio had done a better job differentiating between their two hit series: Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Speaking to magazine Edge in issue 389, BioWare’s former general manager Aaryn Flynn looked back at the two RPG heavyweights. “We got a little too homogenous between Mass Effect and Dragon Age,” Flynn remarked. “I wish we would have kept more of a PC-centric, Neverwinter-like identity for Dragon Age, and let Mass Effect really be the cinematic storytelling masterpiece that it is.” The studio’s fantasy series certainly began with more Neverwinter Nights influence, but with Dragon Age 2’s action focus and Dragon Age: Inquisition’s MMO-like quests, the series did admittedly lose some of that flare.

Flynn also recently reminisced about how BioWare developers would often start their careers by modding the Dungeons & Dragons RPG, which might just explain the developer’s soft spot for Neverwinter Nights. Nowadays, Flynn leads development on the survival game Nightingale, which puts floating Mary Poppins-types in a fantasy open world. Our preview had good things to say about the game, which is due for release on PC on February 22nd.

Flynn isn’t the only BioWare alum to have recently reminisced about the classics, though. Dragon Age’s ex-lead-writer David Gaider recently expressed his desire for a “PS5-era” remake of Origins, with all the fancy “bells and whistles.” Gaider also remembered his time writing those game’s romance storylines with a loving memory: “god, I hated it so much.”

For a proper trip down memory lane, check out the history of BioWare, as told by the people who were actually there.
Let's check his credits.

7CiZmmm.png

Rhobar121

Scholar

Imagine blaming EA for Bioware's shitty ideas in 2023.

scytheavatar

Scholar

I admit, that if, under the influence of BG3, they try to quickly create a turn-based system, it will be something to laugh at.

The point of reference according to leaks is God of War 2018. You are giving Bioware and EA too much credit if you think they have balls to make a Soulslike.

Making a turn based system is probably impossible, can you imagine adding turn based combat into the GOW games? That would like adding turn base combat into Devil May Cry,

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not convinced this game is going to be like God of War. It's going to be Inquisition but even more action-y and probably without the ability to directly control your party members because that's so 2014 (??). Bioware behind the times again.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

Are they that different? My theory of Larian is that they're more-or-less what BioWare could potentially have become, if the Biodocs had cared more about gameplay than cinematics and not been afraid to take some risks. (Except that their games would have been RTwP rather than turn-based of course.)

You can look at Neverwinter Nights and see the path not taken. That game could have been the evolutionary stepping stone towards a BioWare "Divinity: Original Sin-like", but instead it was filed away as a historical curiosity.

The Infinitron Theory of BioWare validated: https://www.gamesradar.com/bioware-...es-dragon-age-had-been-more-neverwinter-like/

BioWare vet says Mass Effect and Dragon Age got "too homogenous," wishes Dragon Age had been more "Neverwinter-like"​

Trip down memory lane

A former BioWare veteran wishes that the studio had done a better job differentiating between their two hit series: Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Speaking to magazine Edge in issue 389, BioWare’s former general manager Aaryn Flynn looked back at the two RPG heavyweights. “We got a little too homogenous between Mass Effect and Dragon Age,” Flynn remarked. “I wish we would have kept more of a PC-centric, Neverwinter-like identity for Dragon Age, and let Mass Effect really be the cinematic storytelling masterpiece that it is.” The studio’s fantasy series certainly began with more Neverwinter Nights influence, but with Dragon Age 2’s action focus and Dragon Age: Inquisition’s MMO-like quests, the series did admittedly lose some of that flare.

Flynn also recently reminisced about how BioWare developers would often start their careers by modding the Dungeons & Dragons RPG, which might just explain the developer’s soft spot for Neverwinter Nights. Nowadays, Flynn leads development on the survival game Nightingale, which puts floating Mary Poppins-types in a fantasy open world. Our preview had good things to say about the game, which is due for release on PC on February 22nd.

Flynn isn’t the only BioWare alum to have recently reminisced about the classics, though. Dragon Age’s ex-lead-writer David Gaider recently expressed his desire for a “PS5-era” remake of Origins, with all the fancy “bells and whistles.” Gaider also remembered his time writing those game’s romance storylines with a loving memory: “god, I hated it so much.”

For a proper trip down memory lane, check out the history of BioWare, as told by the people who were actually there.
I guess that's what happens when you keep trying to keep chase treading instead of focusing in what you made unique

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Imagine blaming EA for Bioware's shitty ideas in 2023.

Bioware, as a company, has a female mind. She is emotional and indecisive. Strong ideas coming from her sugar daddy, EA.

The point of reference according to leaks is God of War 2018. You are giving Bioware and EA too much credit if you think they have balls to make a Soulslike.

Making a turn based system is probably impossible, can you imagine adding turn based combat into the GOW games? That would like adding turn base combat into Devil May Cry,

Bioware has no balls. However, they may have some vague, strange vision of what Dark Souls is.

I don't know if you've played Dead Rising. The series started as a typical Japanese acrobatics with controls and ended as "lol, chainsaw go brr". Need I add that the last game was made by Canadians?

Aphex81

Scholar
I wish your Touch of Death worked on studios like Bioware, yet it doesn't. I guess your really can't fight Evil with Evil.
It all goes back to the EA vs Activision rivalry. Activision makes COD and has Blizzard, EA makes Battlefield and has BioWare. They even tried to compete with WoW by making SwTor. Fact is as long as Blizzard exists BioWare will exist. The only reason you don't have BioWare making mobile games and card games is they don't have enough employees. If ME:A, Anthem and SwTor were successes EA would have invested more in BioWare but since they all bombed they just keep them arround on life support for the potential comeback. 300 diversity hires won't make a good game.

One thing is funny though, Respawn Enterteinment is making the Jedi soulslikes under the EA umbrella, they might be the damocles sword over BioWares' head. So far they haven't produced a flop so it wouldn't surprise me if they surplanted BioWare as the prime EA-RPG studio.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom