Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Rhobar121

Scholar
I dunno if I asked but does anyone even pretend they're waiting for this game for reasons other than wanting to watch it crash and burn? Seems to me even biowhores have no hope
I'm waiting for the game mainly out of curiosity about what they'll screw up this time and how big of a failure this title will be. I lost hope that the game would be at least good years ago.

DemonKing

Arcane
No doubt they will try and copy elements from anything that has been vaguely successful in the last few years and serve it up as indigestible slop that will sink like a lead balloon.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I look forward to new releases because the more horrible the game is, the more funny the threads about the game will be and that's my main source of entertainment as far as modern video games are concerned.

9ted6

Educated
I dunno if I asked but does anyone even pretend they're waiting for this game for reasons other than wanting to watch it crash and burn? Seems to me even biowhores have no hope
Just here to laugh at it. I could give a fuck less about anything Dragon Age related after Origins. Everything else has been utter shit and as others have said totally divorced from the lore, artstyle, and gameplay of DAO that they might as well be a different franchise.

The only crowd I've seen maintain any actual excitement for it are the redditors who think Inquisition was the best game ever and the gay mage's daddy issues were the best writing ever in an RPG.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
BUT MUH GOTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mT2A6OS.jpg

Elthosian

Arcane

The only crowd I've seen maintain any actual excitement for it are the redditors who think Inquisition was the best game ever and the gay mage's daddy issues were the best writing ever in an RPG.
Case in point: https://www.dualshockers.com/i-played-dragon-age-inquisition-instead-of-baldurs-gate-3/

In my book, Inquisition has secured a spot among BioWare's finest works, and Dragon Age: Dreadwolf is now one of my most eagerly awaited games of 2024, alongside Baldur's Gate 3: Definitive Edition. Frankly, I'm almost jealous of myself for the remarkable gaming year that lies ahead.

9ted6

Educated
Inquisition has it all: a vast world, a captivating storyline, layered companions, epic combat encounters, tons of lore, an enchanting score complete with perfect tavern songs, branching dialogues that lead to rich character interactions
Tm5DDa9.png

even though I'm a devoted fan of all things BioWare, including Anthem and Mass Effect: Andromeda
GPO1VEe.png

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Case in point: https://www.dualshockers.com/i-played-dragon-age-inquisition-instead-of-baldurs-gate-3/

In my book, Inquisition has secured a spot among BioWare's finest works, and Dragon Age: Dreadwolf is now one of my most eagerly awaited games of 2024, alongside Baldur's Gate 3: Definitive Edition. Frankly, I'm almost jealous of myself for the remarkable gaming year that lies ahead.
I hope EA cut this guy a fat cheque for this. This is the gaming equivalent of trying to sell a diarrhea smoothie as the start of a great day.

Aarwolf

Learned
I hope EA cut this guy a fat cheque for this. This is the gaming equivalent of trying to sell a diarrhea smoothie as the start of a great day.

Wel....

"Ukraine-based. Writing about games since 2013, writing features at DualShockers since... well, recently. The one who enjoys not-so-great games like Anthem, Mafia 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, Marvel's Avengers, The Callisto Protocol, Outriders, etc."

Rhobar121

Scholar
If they paid for it, I bet 99% of people would even praise LotR:Gollum. It's worse with people who do it for free, there is no hope for them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Are they that different? My theory of Larian is that they're more-or-less what BioWare could potentially have become, if the Biodocs had cared more about gameplay than cinematics and not been afraid to take some risks. (Except that their games would have been RTwP rather than turn-based of course.)

You can look at Neverwinter Nights and see the path not taken. That game could have been the evolutionary stepping stone towards a BioWare "Divinity: Original Sin-like", but instead it was filed away as a historical curiosity.

The Infinitron Theory of BioWare validated: https://www.gamesradar.com/bioware-...es-dragon-age-had-been-more-neverwinter-like/

BioWare vet says Mass Effect and Dragon Age got "too homogenous," wishes Dragon Age had been more "Neverwinter-like"​

Trip down memory lane

A former BioWare veteran wishes that the studio had done a better job differentiating between their two hit series: Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Speaking to magazine Edge in issue 389, BioWare’s former general manager Aaryn Flynn looked back at the two RPG heavyweights. “We got a little too homogenous between Mass Effect and Dragon Age,” Flynn remarked. “I wish we would have kept more of a PC-centric, Neverwinter-like identity for Dragon Age, and let Mass Effect really be the cinematic storytelling masterpiece that it is.” The studio’s fantasy series certainly began with more Neverwinter Nights influence, but with Dragon Age 2’s action focus and Dragon Age: Inquisition’s MMO-like quests, the series did admittedly lose some of that flare.

Flynn also recently reminisced about how BioWare developers would often start their careers by modding the Dungeons & Dragons RPG, which might just explain the developer’s soft spot for Neverwinter Nights. Nowadays, Flynn leads development on the survival game Nightingale, which puts floating Mary Poppins-types in a fantasy open world. Our preview had good things to say about the game, which is due for release on PC on February 22nd.

Flynn isn’t the only BioWare alum to have recently reminisced about the classics, though. Dragon Age’s ex-lead-writer David Gaider recently expressed his desire for a “PS5-era” remake of Origins, with all the fancy “bells and whistles.” Gaider also remembered his time writing those game’s romance storylines with a loving memory: “god, I hated it so much.”

For a proper trip down memory lane, check out the history of BioWare, as told by the people who were actually there.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I wish your Touch of Death worked on studios like Bioware, yet it doesn't. I guess your really can't fight Evil with Evil.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
To be fair, the studio that made Andromeda has been killed, so it's not like Bioware is immune. This and the new ME are their last chance I'd wager. And now that BG3 is a thing, they are probably shitting their pants. Not that BG3 is all that good, but it's a different style of game than ME and DA2/Inquisition. I wouldn't be surprised if DA4 has a turn-based option.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
To be fair, the studio that made Andromeda has been killed, so it's not like Bioware is immune. This and the new ME are their last chance I'd wager. And now that BG3 is a thing, they are probably shitting their pants. Not that BG3 is all that good, but it's a different style of game than ME and DA2/Inquisition. I wouldn't be surprised if DA4 has a turn-based option.
It's been in development for seven or eight years, it would be incredibly foolish to add a new combat system now.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's been in development for seven or eight years, it would be incredibly foolish to add a new combat system now.
Has it? I somehow doubt it has been in full development for 8 years. Even then, it didn't take too much work to get a turn-based system working in Pathfinder and Pillars of Eternity 2. If you have an RPG system with abilities, it wouldn't take a tremendous rework to put in a turn-based option. It won't be a good turn-based option, probably mostly due to the amount of trash fights everywhere that RTwP invites, but it's going to be there for those who want it. I'm not expecting it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is one.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's been in development for seven or eight years
Not sure it's been that long but it's been long. This whole thing is giving off the same kind of whiff as Anthem.

A debris-pile of a studio with more money than sense, not being able to decide what their next game is even supposed to be on the most basic conceptual level, eventually switching to a full production mode before the pre-production was half done.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik

BioWare vet says Mass Effect and Dragon Age got "too homogenous," wishes Dragon Age had been more "Neverwinter-like"​

in other words, less story-centered and more online-centered. That worked perfectly for Inquisition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has it? I somehow doubt it has been in full development for 8 years. Even then, it didn't take too much work to get a turn-based system working in Pathfinder and Pillars of Eternity 2. If you have an RPG system with abilities, it wouldn't take a tremendous rework to put in a turn-based option. It won't be a good turn-based option, probably mostly due to the amount of trash fights everywhere that RTwP invites, but it's going to be there for those who want it. I'm not expecting it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is one.

But this game is not even RTwP, I don't believe it's a pseudo-isometric tactical game in any way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom