Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Blood magic is the same age old moral dilemma, when you have a genius scientist\genius doctor\general who save the nation\your daughter, with failing heart or other disease and a good-for-nothing redditor\incel\hobo. Would you sacrifice a redditor\incel to save another person's life? According towiki there were some blood mages who healed people and people volunteered to give their blood to them.

It's funny because as the combat got progressively better everything else got worse.

The combat in ME3 is great and in Andromeda actually excellent. But writing in ME3 is p. bad and in Andromeda it's not even professional anymore. Just a bunch of diversity hire zoomers typing some shit on their iPhones.

What the fuck am I reading in this thread about any of the Mass Effect games having good combat. They all suck. They’re garbage third person shooters with a hook of being able to talk to characters with a few different optional dialogue choices between the shooting. You could throw a rock during the 360 era when the bulk of the Mass Effect series was released and hit a better third person shooter than any of the Mass Effect games. The shooting wasn’t all that good, the enemies suck, and BioWare never got the hang of level design...which didn’t help them as they moved away from the more open areas of the first ME game as the series went on.

The best thing about Mass Effect (and about the only good thing) was aesthetic shit, and even there the only aesthetic thing to carry through all the games was the Syd Mead knockoff designs.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Binary Domain was a better cover shooter.
:buildawall:
tumblr_m6k2jyOjpt1qitl8jo1_500.gif

You could throw a rock during the 360 era when the bulk of the Mass Effect series was released and hit a better third person shooter
Afaik ME was the first game to mix TPS with "superhero" abilities.

What better shooters, what are you trying to compare it with, Gears of War?

No it’s fucking not. And I not saying that in regards to it being first, I’m saying it’s not the first one as far as you know. I’m sure you’re well aware that there were games before Mass Effect like the Jedi Knights games that also had third (and first) person shooting and psychic powers just like Mass Effect has. Hell, the way you can use those powers is far better than the way Mass Effect let’s you use them; they’re essentially just grenades in Mass Effect games. Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy came out a few years before Mass Effect too.

And yes, Gears of War, especially Gears of War 2, is a better game an Mass Effect. Off the top of my head, here’s a list of third person shooters that came out during the 360 era that are better than Mass Effect: Vanquish, the Dead Space games, The Outfit, the first two Lost Planet games, Resident Evil 5 and 6, those three Ghost Recon games that came out during that time period, Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, GTA4, Crackdown, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Starhawk, MGS5, the Prototype games, Infamous, the Sandlot EDF games, Binary Domain, Iron Brigade, Mercenaries 2, The Saboteur. There’s like 32 third person shooters that are better than Mass Effect that came out during the 360 era (so about a span of 10 years) when the bulk of the Mass Effect series was released. I’m sure there’s more stuff too. There’s stuff I only ever played demos of like Stranglehold, Wet, Dark Void, and those High Moon Transformer games that seemed like they had better and more interesting things going on gameplay wise than any Mass Effect game has had.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Haven't played Jedi Knight, others may factcheck you on your claim whether the powers are "far better".

Nevertheless saying powers in ME are essentially just grenades is retarded. Have you even played the games? Vanguard or Adept are p. much space wizards.

Stokowski

Arcane
Even BG2 had restrictions to casting and imposed a severe fee to use magic.
It amounted to pretty much nothing. Either pay 5k gold or some Cowled Wizards come after you.
Pretty cool concept, but I think it could've been done far better.

The best thing was if you keep fighting the Cowled Wizards they eventually send some really hefty mage groups at you which were worth excellent xp.

Yeah, I beat the first two Mass Effect games, and played bits of the others. Your powers are essentially grenades in Mass Effect. You don’t have the same level of control over them as you do your powers in Raven’s Star Wars games or Psi-Ops. When you’re playing Psi-Ops two players (where one person is controlling the powers) you have enough control over your powers that you can stand on something, levitate that object in the air, and fly your character around as the other person shoots enemies. You can do that in single player too, but it’s harder. In Mass Effect you just throw your powers into an area like a grenade and they do things like pull the enemies towards the “grenade” or create a space that makes the enemies float in the air.

The Vanguard change power always seemed kind of lame to me. Feels like they wanted to do some cool bullet time super speed power where hitting someone with it would send them flying back, but they couldn’t get it working, so they just did a less interesting cheat for it. Doesn’t help Mass Effect 2 came out the same year as Vanquish, which is like a whole game built around essentially the same power but you do have full control over your moment while you’re doing it. There was this fun game that came out before Mass Effect 2 called Section 8 that did a high speed run power that was like a better version of the Charge power too; game was a first person shooter, but when you used your run it’d put you in third person.

DA2 had better concept for an RPG story imo and game structure. Game got rushed in a year with shit gameplay. Waste of a good setting and a good plot idea.

Dragon Age 2 has a interesting concept. They totally fucked it up, but the concept is interesting. Dragon Age 2 seems like BioWare just couldn’t help themselves, because the whole buildup to release, the pitch was: Smaller personal story that isn’t end of the world stuff. But the whole end of the game is “end of the world” stuff. All that game needed to be was you trying to get by in that city over the years as some adventurer that goes into the Deep Roads. And the Deep Roads was already set up in DA:O as the ultimate dungeon in the Dragon Age setting, so building a whole game around that seems like a good idea. Even back when Dragon Age Origin was new I thought BioWare should make a game just completely built around dungeon exploration so they could really focus on how your party interact with each other. A big thing for BioWare at that time being having different party members with you would give you different interaction between those party member.

The idea for the game is even perfectly built for the shorter amount of time they had. All they really needed for the idea that Dragon Age 2 was going for is the Deep Roads dungeons you explore. You could make other locations that could be traveled to by way of the 2D town map. But all those larger bland town areas could be completely cut at the most, or be constructed as smaller but more distinct sections of the city. Like it’s hard for me to have any sympathy for the amount of time they had, when the idea they’re going for meant so much of what they did do was just superfluous.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I beat the first two Mass Effect games, and played bits of the others. Your powers are essentially grenades in Mass Effect. You don’t have the same level of control over them as you do your powers in Raven’s Star Wars games or Psi-Ops. When you’re playing Psi-Ops two players (where one person is controlling the powers) you have enough control over your powers that you can stand on something, levitate that object in the air, and fly your character around as the other person shoots enemies. You can do that in single player too, but it’s harder. In Mass Effect you just throw your powers into an area like a grenade and they do things like pull the enemies towards the “grenade” or create a space that makes the enemies float in the air.

The Vanguard change power always seemed kind of lame to me. Feels like they wanted to do some cool bullet time super speed power where hitting someone with it would send them flying back, but they couldn’t get it working, so they just did a less interesting cheat for it. Doesn’t help Mass Effect 2 came out the same year as Vanquish, which is like a whole game built around essentially the same power but you do have full control over your moment while you’re doing it. There was this fun game that came out before Mass Effect 2 called Section 8 that did a high speed run power that was like a better version of the Charge power too; game was a first person shooter, but when you used your run it’d put you in third person.

The MMO City of Heroes let you mix gunplay or melee and superhero powers, AND flight AND superspeed, back in 2004, and did it much better than any of these games. Granted it was tab-targeting, but the same company's Champions Online did it better with free targeting in 2009.

ME was remarkably clunky in use, even in its day.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
My one remaining hope for Dreadwolf is that they bring blood magic back. I don't care about the inconsistencies of your blood magic hating companions sticking by you, there are a hundred plot holes in Dragon Age and I don't see why they had to choose to address the one that ruins part of the fun of the game.
Blood magic should also have more consequences and severe ones at that.
Not everyone can use blood magic without sacrifices or some other evil shit. They could make this work if they wanted to, but I don't know if they are willing to devote effort to it.
Agreed, I would love if it had more consequences, both in terms of gameplay and negative reactivity. There's a lot of options too, sacrifices for the big stuff as you mentioned, plus as Solas says blood magic affects your ability to interact with the fade they could expand on that to add the consequence of losing the capacity to use other spells if you overindulge.

That said, like you I'm not hopeful that they'd be willing to put the effort in, and if I had to choose between no blood magic and blood magic that's conspicuously ignored I'd rather have the latter as it's still a lot of fun to play.

The Vanguard change power always seemed kind of lame to me.

1TVWQNP.png

That’s the problem, it’s not fun. A better version of the Charge power would be you having total control of your movement, where you’re moving around in bullet time, your able to shoot while in Charge, and manually running into someone while in Charge takes you out of Charge but also knocks the enemy back like it does in the game normally. What’s in the actual game is essentially just a teleport that pushes enemies back, which doesn’t even make sense with what the power is meant to be, and is like the most boring version of what that power could be. Like I said, Vanquish is a game that’s basically built around having the same power and that game is fucking great.

The MMO City of Heroes let you mix gunplay or melee and superhero powers, AND flight AND superspeed, back in 2003, and did it much better than any of these games. Granted it was tab-targeting, but the same company's Champions Online did it better with free targeting in 2009.

ME was remarkably clunky in use, even in its day.

City of Heroes did not do psychic powers better than Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, or Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. It also doesn’t to superpowers better than other games that were doing superpower like Prototype and Infamous.

Mass Effect’s gameplay is such a mess I’m almost surprised that’s the direction they went. While playing Mass Effect, I was just kind of left wishing they’d ripped off Full Spectrum Warrior if they felt they needed to go real-time.

9ted6

Educated
DA2 had better concept for an RPG story imo and game structure. Game got rushed in a year with shit gameplay. Waste of a good setting and a good plot idea.

Dragon Age 2 has a interesting concept. They totally fucked it up, but the concept is interesting. Dragon Age 2 seems like BioWare just couldn’t help themselves, because the whole buildup to release, the pitch was: Smaller personal story that isn’t end of the world stuff. But the whole end of the game is “end of the world” stuff. All that game needed to be was you trying to get by in that city over the years as some adventurer that goes into the Deep Roads. And the Deep Roads was already set up in DA:O as the ultimate dungeon in the Dragon Age setting, so building a whole game around that seems like a good idea. Even back when Dragon Age Origin was new I thought BioWare should make a game just completely built around dungeon exploration so they could really focus on how your party interact with each other. A big thing for BioWare at that time being having different party members with you would give you different interaction between those party member.

The idea for the game is even perfectly built for the shorter amount of time they had. All they really needed for the idea that Dragon Age 2 was going for is the Deep Roads dungeons you explore. You could make other locations that could be traveled to by way of the 2D town map. But all those larger bland town areas could be completely cut at the most, or be constructed as smaller but more distinct sections of the city. Like it’s hard for me to have any sympathy for the amount of time they had, when the idea they’re going for meant so much of what they did do was just superfluous.
Hate that you're only in the Deep Roads for 20 minutes and it's back to the forced mage vs. templar drama that only happens because DA2 changed everyone in both sides to be braindead.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Hate that you're only in the Deep Roads for 20 minutes and it's back to the forced mage vs. templar drama that only happens because DA2 changed everyone in both sides to be braindead.

Joking aside, DA2 had one of the most interesting game ideas in the history of RPGs. Instead of the story of a savior, the story of an ambitious careerist written for ten or twenty years. Epic! I don't know if it's EA's fault or Bioware's creative decline, but the game that we get is more of a sketch of what could be, rather than even getting close to the full potential it could have achieved.

Turbo normie

Scholar
Someone is sperging over Mass EFfect vanguard's charge because it doesn't fit his fantasy. While it's just a way to speedrun combat to finally enjoy the real content, groping blue alien ladies or testing garrus' reach. :smug:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I thought the Vanguard charge was the best thing about ME2, the one straight improvement over the original.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
That was truly one of the most moistest games of all time

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom