Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DoW mods and expansion

Surlent

Liturgist
Major_Blackhart said:
IMPERIAL GUARD FOREVER!
So far they seem like cannon fodder to Chaos. :P

Anyway there's talk about Game Of The Year version of DoW being released. Seems like it has all features of latest patch and some bonus maps.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So far, it leans towards the Space and Chaos Space Marines in terms of balance. However, while I hate eldar, I still play as Orks, and it is possible to swarm the enemy with a powerful ork army, as long as you can route them.

Atrokkus

Erudite
What about the micromanagement?
I heard the units can't be controled separately one-by-one, only in groups. What the fuck is that supposed to be? I don't think it has SO many units, that group-only selection should be forced...

Fez

Erudite
Playing PC games is not a sport.

The micromanagement side is keeping the fan of that side happy enough in the game. Perhaps you should try playing the game instead of talking shit?

Astromarine

Erudite
metallix, you're full of shit, and you haven't played the game yet. Listen to Uncle Fez and Uncle Astro: go brush your teeth and go to bed, come back when you are prepared to discuss facts.

Oh, and for information purposes. Units can be controlled individually. What you are confused about, since you haven't even bothered to read about the game, let alone play it, is that the basic infantry units for each race are teams of soldiers, not one individual soldier. Much like, for example, in Rome Total War a unit is made of 60 soldiers. Do you complain that you can't control each man in that game too? Go to whatever biased fanboy told you that crap about the game and ask him for me: "Why do you lie?"

Atrokkus

Erudite
Again you forget that I put "I HEARD" before, as you put it, "talking shit."
I was just asking your fucking opinion on the game, but you shut me up like i'm just here to piss you off. Manner up, goddamnit.

And I'm not biased against DoW in any way, I don't judge it because i haven't played it myself (only saw). So please don't whine.

Playing PC games is not a sport.
WEll, I can prove you wrong, but hey: you wouldn't listen anyway.
but still, just visit sites like www.skgaming.com, www.wcg.com, and also come here
And this is not to mention Korean and Chinese progaming infrastructure, which is HUGE.
Are actually aware of the fact that in S.Korea you can actually earn a living (and quite large) by playing StarCraft and Warcraft?

Astromarine

Erudite
well, you stated you thought (not heard. thought) that the game was only good for "fun" and not "sport", thereby disagreeing with the professional organizations like the GGL who have DoW as part of their game lineup. But even for the rest, you don't come off as asking questions. You come off saying "I hear this game is shit and has no management" etc. Therefore you are acting like the typical asshole that comes here saying "NWN pwnz Fallout". So we treated you with the same amount of respect that you yourself treat them. You got the special RPGCodex "Welcome to the idiot" reaction. Good for you. Now ask real questions about the game and we'll talk about it. The game isn't perfect, after all.

Atrokkus

Erudite
If I say "heard" it means that I'm retelling the rumors. If you don't want to ignore that statement, then you should just prove me wrong. That's what I wanted to hear, actually.
It's not like morons saying NWN>Fallout, because the difference is that they know they are right (that's why they're idiots), while I just THINK or FEAR or HEARD. See the difference?
Hmm, well yeah, I should have changed that sentence to "but for a sport? not yet, i think"
sorry ^_^

So we treated you with the same amount of respect that you yourself treat them.
Who? Did I offend any of you? read the above.

_______

Now the thing I know for sure (talked to some progamers) that Eldars are clearly imbalanced and overpowered.
SO my question is: how are the patches? I mean, do they have many balance fixes? How many patches there are (i heard 10)?
WIll there be a new addon or exppack (official)?

It kinda reminds me of Warcraft3 RoC (Classic). There, too, was a huge imbalance in favor of humans. And RoC's days were over on 1.10 patch - and still humans were single most powerful race. Then TFT came out and things started to get much better. NOw it's 1.18ith version (1.19 coming soon) and the imbalance is very small, only in particular match-ups. (for instance, Grubby - the WCG, ESWC champion - is an Orc).

So I kinda hope that DoW follows the similar pattern. If so, then I guess it has future. But if it's left on what it is now, then it'll never come close to War3, let alone SC.

And yes, some professional leagues and tourneys included DoW in their gamelists.
Well, WCG included it just because it aims for the most popular games, and not always the best (for instance, they changed Quake3 for Unreal (which is much worse) last year, and now both are missing). But since GGL did it, it means DoW is getting high hopes, prolly because the patches seem to keep coming.
Well, I'm all for it.

oherror

Liturgist
even in the 1.0 of the game you could win as any race so long as your tactics worked...flanking, raiding, full assualts, even as orcs you could rape the eldar if you used tactics that used all your numbers....

even though the eldars tend to be one sided...in my experiance in the game they tend to die first...ie temp allaince with other players = doom for eldar...

also it is true that it could be used for sport but what really classifies as a sport...i mean when you look up sport in the dictionary what do you see....

sport (spôrt, sprt)
n.
a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
b. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.

only def that it might work with is b but even then it doesn't. Physical activity might work if you mean the clicking of the mouse....but frankly its a stretch...So by definition DOW is not a sport.

Also if your looking at any game/anything in RL and expecting it to be crap most likely you will not beable to see around the flaws/if any.

Atrokkus

Erudite
on stport:
Definitions change, that's obvious.
Playing WarCraft, StarCraft, Dow, Quake or CS professionally has all the basic properties of sport. It requires MUCH practice (even if you are genius, you can't just drop by and win a big tourney), it requires steel nerves and pretty high stamina (during a big tourney you can end up sitting in the club 24+ hours).
Phyisical activity, eh? Well, why then chess is called sport? Cybersport is, of course, much more physical-demanding than chess, and requires a very good hand-eye coordination, reflexes (especially in FPS), and, of course, a very sharp mind (in all genres, not only strategy).
PLus, some of the disciplines involve a lot of teamwork - CS, Quake (4x4), starategies2x2, etc

As an additional argument, I know for sure that in many countreis (including RUssia, Korea etc) computer games are OFFICIALLY considered a sport. We have a Russian Cybersport Federation, for instance, directly affiliated with Ministry of Sport.
But, due to the small age, cybersport is not yet so widespread and widely approven as football, etc. It all comes down to the spectator's interest. Audience is getting bigger each year, that's why many huge companies are getting very interested in cybersport, and now almost all mega-corporations like Intel, AMD, ATI has its teams, players. Players get paid, get equipment, etc. In S.Korea cybersport is very highly-developed. StarCraft is a national game, it's more popular than soccer there. How many channels you have about football? Well, StarCraft has 4 tv-channels, whcih broadcast games live, show news, interviews etc.

So, cybersport is not just a hobby, or an evanescent obsession. It's a real sport, just like others.
Soccer was also frowned upon by most, at the very beginning. Look at it now.

but frankly its a stretch...
It's not muscular-intense, yes. But it requires dexterity and coordination, and a lot of practice.
Have you ever seen a progamer play? Have you witnessed their micromanagement skills?
Well, search first-person VODs and see for yourself.
A strategy (macromanagement) alone will not bring you victory, you will need to micromanage well, if you hope to win against a seasoned opponent.

Also if your looking at any game/anything in RL and expecting it to be crap most likely you will not beable to see around the flaws/if any.
I'm not expecting it to be shit, I just want to get your reaction to quite popular opinon of DoW's flaws.
I'm quite excited about DoW, actually. I plan to get it anytime soon.

Vykromond

Scholar
mEtaLL1x said:
Well, why then chess is called sport?

Because some people are fucking idiots and will call anything "sport" to make other idiots feel better.

Vykromond

Scholar
Calling chess a sport isn't "remotedly [sic] intelligent," it's indefensibly stupid. What you call "cybersport" is far closer to fulfilling criteria for being sport than chess is.

I also have one brain, just so you know. If you have two, like the Ogre Mages in Warcraft II, that explains a lot.

oherror

Liturgist
sure you can anything a sport....even if its a stretch ie fat people eating icecream after being called fat...in there mind the could call the eating mass amounts of food to calm there nerves is a sport. so thus classiflying any thing under the word sport is pointless...just except that your a gamer and enjoy playing "video" games while exercising your fingers and thumbs....

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
If this is the case, the I hereby decree jacking off a sport, as I do it 6 times a day (STILL!) and sweat like a whore in church from the physical exertion.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Anyways, I won't start arguing with you about chess, since I'm not much into that kind of game.
Although still it's your opinion, and it's not shared by most of the people in different sport organizations, and they are not idiots.

oherror

Liturgist
ah chess a sport...yes it could be only if you keep calling him names till he chases after you...bent on hurting you....ah we could call it the geek marathon...

Atrokkus

Erudite
You call geeks anyone who uses brain in sport more than muscles?
(Not that physically-intense sports don't require intelligence)
But still?
What about snooker? it's not physically intense, but it requires dexterity and coordination, just as computer games do.

Vykromond

Scholar
You're coming to a more sensible understanding of sport. "Intensive muscle work" or "involving strenuous physical activity" is a bit too narrow, yes, although it's a very good base to work from. We can say that the more traditional sports that require this are the "most sporting," in a sense. Activities that don't necessarily require specific muscular tone but are nonetheless strongly physical are slightly "less sporting," but still sports. Activities that rely more upon dexterity and physical coordination rather than direct physical exertion are "sports," although they also have a lot of "game" in them. "Cybersports" are almost all eye-hand coordination and 'fast fingers,' containing a bare minimum of physical effort, but with the evolution of the term we can call them "sports," although barely so. But chess fails to even lie on this continuum.

Think about it like D&D.

Traditional sports
REQ: 12-16+ STR
REQ: 5-11+ DEX

Tabletop sporting activities (billiards, table tennis, etc.)
REQ: 10-15+ DEX
REQ: 9+ INT

"Cybersports"
REQ: 7-12+ DEX
REQ: 11+ INT

Chess
REQ: 13+ INT

See? Chess doesn't share a skill check with sports.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Point taken.

It's all pretty true, but I think the definition of "sport" is evolving (just as that of RPG, in a different thread tho), so I tend to believe that STR/DEX will not be that critical a requirement in near future.
I don't think it's for good, or for worse, I'm just considering such bias.

oherror

Liturgist
ok i conced the cybersports, although the above post doesn't include the slight dex that is required to place the pieces...

should look like this:

Chess

REQ: 13+ INT
REQ: 1-2 DEX

but forget this off-topic crap...

lets get back on topic with more expansions being posted that we can try.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I personally love to watch the worlds strongest man competitions. Marius Pudjianowski (sp) is friggin insane.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom