Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DoW mods and expansion

Fez

Erudite
The four shots are all expansion graphics. Notice that the guardsmen are not all the same height, they are promising the units to look different frm each other, like the orc size difference and the PSM parts changing.

Saran

Scholar
I wonder if they'll have an inquisitor in the next expansion (If they do one).

Mission one: Land on the planet only to discover the local populace is suffering from terrible mutations.

Mission two: Send in the IG to distract the local PD Forces while the fleet moves into position.

Mission Three: Exterminatus, the planet is hit by viral bombs, the virus acts so quickly that every single living thing on the planet dies, their bodys rapidly decompose releasing large amounts of methane and other gasses into the athmosphere, one small explosion later the entire athmosphere of the planet ignites, turning the planet into a burnt rock. credits roll. :lol:

I wonder how long it will take for squats to be modded in.

Fez

Erudite
Squats are on the way to being modded in, if all goes well.

I'm wondering what the enemy will be in this game. It could be the Orks and Chaos again, but it would seem likely they'd have something as a surprise in the campaign. Perhaps the Necrons or Tyranids could be included as a non-race or non-playable group, like the IG in the original game were?

Saran

Scholar
I presumed that it would be Chaos due to the ending of DOW, but it would make sense to offer a bit of a change, especially when they have such a rich backgound to work with.

The Necrons would be fairly interesting, but they seem like too big a threat to waste in an expansion, they would be more suited to a full blown sequel.

If they have a non-playabe side in the expansion my guess would be the tyranids, when you consider the number of people that want that along with the new codex and the splinter fleets that are flying around the galaxy it would probably be the most logical choice, even a genestealer cult would do the job of replacing the orks as a "Smokescreen" in the campaign, but i doubt that they will be anything more, unless the "good" and "bad" campaigns end up merging together as the two sides fight against a greater enemy, but i find it hard to see the SM and CSM fighting together.

Fez

Erudite
It might start off with Chaos and then OMG PLOT TWIST(!) into a new threat for both of them.

Fez

Erudite
A PC Gamer hack says he was shown a pre-alpha build of Winter Assault by Relic manager Ron Moravek, who promised "Jerry Bruckheimer" style action. The PCG writer said it "kicked his ass" and was "gnarly and gritty" as "gallons of blood splatter the cold white snow with each laser blast."

The developers are also saying that even with the increased focus on single player, multiplayer is not going to be ignored as "Relic will include a slew of new maps" with Winter Assault.

Apparently the new units added to existing races are intented to balance them against the Imperial Guard.

At least they're trying to make sure they don't break the game's balance with this.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Very cool. Hey, just aside, who would win in a battle: Necrons or the Tyranids? Just something going on in the back of my mind. I put my money on the Necrons, but you never know. I'd also love to see maybe a glimpse of the C'Tan.

Fez

Erudite
I'm not so sure now that GW keeps mixing up the fluff when they feel like a change. The Tyranids were supposed to be the huge and unstoppable threat, then they pulled the cheesy star people from nowhere when they decided to give the old "Android" model a dusting off.

Fez

Erudite
They change them about every so often. It used to be very different back in the Rogue Trader days. Necrons came in a few years ago. I'm not sure when exactly. Still, at least they are not as bad as that recent anime abomination that is the Tau.

Astromarine

Erudite
Current fluff goes: necrons are actually really really old. The whole feel of the race is "undead robots". They have tombs they come out of, etc. Thinking of the C'Tan as Old Ones from lovecraft would help.

As for who would win in a fight? I'd say Nids. But they wouldn't be much interested, as Necrons aren't edible :)

By the way, here are the SM units which are not yet in the game, so could come in the expansion. The others I don't know the army list, so can't tell.

- Chaplain
- New psychic powers for Libbies
- Techmarine
- Veteran Squads (better equipment, stronger)
- Bike Squads
- Attack Bikes
- Vindicator Tanks (HUGE guns)

That's it. If there are new units in the game, they have to come from there. I'd like Bikes myself, and the Techmarine would be cool: like a super-builder with great combat capabilities, repairing, and maybe some accuracy bonuses to close squads.

One thing that would be cool is Chaos units based on the other gods. I think that's the best place they go with CSMs.

Fez

Erudite
Remember that Relic as already made at least one new unit that is not on TT yet and is now going to appear on TT soon, so they are not restricted to current models only.

I'd like to see them work on new powers and upgrades for current units and maybe some balancing too.

I don't think we'll get specific Gods for Chaos as they are trying to keep the armies generic, to suit everyone's schemes. Though we did get the Bloodthirster, that might just be because it's a cool looking uber unit.

Astromarine

Erudite
generic sure, but they did include a Bloodthirster, which is a Khorne daemon. If they, say, make a Great Unclean One and use it as an alternate upgrade instead of a BS it could still be generic.

Remind me, as I am too sleepy: what unit did they make? I can't remember it. Unless you're talking about buiilders? Even if so, the only one they actually made from scratch was the Eldar one, the other three exist in game.

Fez

Erudite
"The main IG hero will be the Imperial Captain, which is just a bit weaker than the Force Commander. For WH40K tabletop addicts: Games Workshop will bring the unit to the tabletop soon."

No info on what it looks like or stats, sorry.

They also got to invent their own SM chapter for the original game, and then GW said it was official. Makes sense from their point of view, they can attract in PC gamers to the TT stuff by making connections, and they get free developed IP for their games.

I agree we could get a Great Unclean One as a unit and keep it fairly generic. People were talking about all themed units for their favorite chapters and Chaos Gods, that is unlikely.

Astromarine

Erudite
pretty unlikely, yeah. I just meant including some of the special units from the gods as part of the army.

Sorry, I thought you had meant the first game, not the expansion. Still, I don't see them adding a new unit to the SM. The IG is their real "kitchen sink" army. The SMs are much more codified, and just came out with a new book. it's a whole different ballgame. Making a new chapter is pretty commonplace, the only thing GW had to do was "define" it a bit in a couple of magazine articles and by using the traits system in the new codex. They didn't make one single new rule for them.

One thing they COULD do is include some units from the Witch and Daemon Hunters. Adding a Grey Knights squad or two would be possible.

Blah. Let's wait and see. This is just me loving to rant about GW. :)

Fez

Erudite
Feel free to rant, everyone else does and the speculation is quite fun. :P

I'm hoping the expansion will live up to the promises.

Grey Knights or Veterans could appear as some sort of limited elite unit, perhaps. What annoys me is that a few people are complaining every time there is a hint of a new unit or race as it might "put a mod team out of business". Those people need to STFU. The whole argument of demanding less content so the mod makers have more to do is so stupid I don't know where to start.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Gotta agree there wit ya Fez. Anywho, maybe they'll put in the Space Wolves SM (maybe :)). Also, maybe like a Daemon Prince or Chosen Terminators for the Chaos Legions. For the Orks, maybe some fun stuff like the ability for Boyz and Nobz to upgrade to Mega Armor and maybe even Different Warlords for each clan (like Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka, I wish), or maybe a slaver, and other things like that. I dunno, Im asking for a helluvalot. Or atleast the Orks clan warbosses get what they need for their clan specific upgrades.

Fez

Erudite
If they don't fix all the broken stuff and the bugs that are in the original game, I'll be annoyed.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
you know, a bug I noticed was with the Orks in a skirmish. If you saved and quit, then loaded it back up, it would think you didn't have any troops on the field, and would allow you to build alot more units.

Fez

Erudite
Yup, that's another golden one they left in. Some people used it for some comedy screenshots and insane 'human wave' tactics.

Fez

Erudite
I wish the sods would hint at what else is appearing in the game. They are keeping it very quiet and pretty much anything could be included.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Hey Fez, or whoever, any advice about which infantry units to build to counter Orks when playing Eldar? I'm leaning towards the spider warpers since their gernades are such powerful anti-vehicle weapons, but I'm not sure thats best. Oh, and I always rush build a few gaurdian squads, so I have a few of those floating around until they killed and replaced with better units.

Fez

Erudite
Against the Orks you should go for warp spiders. They will tear them apart. Once you've got some WS out you might want some Banshees to hold the Orks back while the WS gun them down.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Thanks,

I'm pretty sure its best to use Dark Reapers then for the Marines and Chaos, right? And does the tinker toy walker have any purpose?

Still haven't beat insane with the eldar yet, but I did win a round at harder, but it did take me a few restarts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom