Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Double Fine's latest game: Spacebase DF-9

Hellraiser

Arcane
I'm waiting for them to add more stuff before possibly buying it. What I like is that they have the simulation of space station dwellers already implemented along with the "spaceface" interface. What I want to see are working reactors and a power system, doctors, sickbays, scientists, labs and research along with more FUN like drunken barfights.

My main beef with the concept so far apart from one universal resource* is that the orbital space environment is fairly dull. It's just random asteroids and the occasional derelict popping up, not giving much replayability or different approaches to base building. Although I read that they're planning to make galaxy generation more like dwarf fortress, where you can start a colony say near a space bug homeworld or some other alien race increasing the likelihood of certain events.

Also what would be cool would be taking a page from Deep Space 9 and being able to send colonists in a ship on missions to nearby planets to discover stuff like artifacts, new food or FUN.

*as justified as it is by trek-like replicator tech it makes for a boring and simplistic resource management/economic mechanic. Even adding a non-replicateable "latinum" equivalent from DS9 would be incline as it would facilitate the need for trade.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Also what would be cool would be taking a page from Deep Space 9 and being able to send colonists in a ship on missions to nearby planets to discover stuff like artifacts, new food or FUN.
:bounce:

I always liked how DS9 skewed the exploration in that manner, rather than giving the crew a big Star Trek ship to go fart around on for the first few seasons. That could work extremely well for things like trading, reputation and discoveries to advance along tech trees. Perhaps it could run in a manner similar to Evil Genius's world domination screen.

Hellraiser

Arcane
That's a feature that Dwarf Fortress really lacked, you couldn't send emissaries or interact with neighboring cunts in anyway other than by pissing off elves or humans somehow (usually by killing them, or by selling elves wooden objects). Hell, at the very least you should have been able to send raiding parties and loot some goblin camp. Toady made this really excellent world generator with civilizations, wars and history in addition to the terrain/biome generation, but it kind of did nothing in fortress mode apart from flavor and goblin attack probability. Wasted potential really. Interaction with the parent civilization was also a bit shallow.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Note: Always build new additions to rooms before removing current walls. There is no evacuation protocol on Spacebase DF-9, so anybody in the room undergoing renovations is likely to be blown out into space when a wall is removed for planned construction.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Feels really alpha, but I sense a lot of potential in this one. TBH, I'm more excited about DF9 than about DoubleFine adventure, which I backed on kickstarter.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
ohh snap. I didn't check for an already existent thread in strategy gaming because I equated base building with city building and landed here. Perhaps I will continue the righteous path!!!

I like the sound of nearly everything written here: http://www.spacebasedf9.com/devplans

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
ohh snap. I didn't check for an already existent thread in strategy gaming because I equated base building with city building and landed here. Perhaps I will continue the righteous path!!!

I like the sound of nearly everything written here: http://www.spacebasedf9.com/devplans
I think there was no city building thread when I made it, that's why I put it into strategy. No biggie. :) And I also like the premise of the game. Looking forward to it.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I think there was no city building thread when I made it, that's why I put it into strategy. No biggie. :) And I also like the premise of the game. Looking forward to it.
Then I am helping to usher in the new era (or just new subforum)!!!

Does the game have multiple levels/floors of construction?
What Yaar Podshipnik said. There's only one floor technology at the moment, but the dev plans say they want to add in the ability to have more than one deck.

My latest Spacebase just underwent a catastrophe. For some reason, all the life support systems (all, enough to hold 90 or so people on a station currently staffed by 30) went offline somehow, so everyone died in a matter of minutes. I do like how oxygen works, though. It is a physical property for each room, and when a door opens between two rooms--say, one with 20% and one with 80%--the room with more oxygen will try to even out in the room with less. This can end up blowing people through doorways or into outer space when they try to move through the station. It's quite fun to watch, although normally it means you're failing miserably at doing anything else.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
This is my base

puknJ3N.jpg

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So is there like any updates?

There's been a few, the so called 'Update 4' was released less than a week ago and added researching to the base game

I like the concept and some parts of the execution, but I simply cannot recommend it in its current state.
It's woefully incomplete in all areas, almost devoid of depth, and the AI too damn retarded to be trusted with anything that involves base construction or maintenance.
I've abandoned so many stations prematurely due to AI retardation...

They are absolutely terrible with construction work, say I build a resident area with multiple beds, they'd build ONE bed then immediately go to sleep for 5 minutes, repeat that a few times and everyone's sleeping, and not building essentials like food dispensers or fire extinguishers. And if you don't have fire extinguishers and fires pop up, they'll try to stomp it out until they die spectacularly; coincidentally, a meteor storm was on the way and hit the residence...

And I've seen utter darwin award level stuff from other builders, like this time I asked them to dismantle a ship.
I had taken some precautions for the retarded AI and sealed off all the oxygen inside the life support bays, and forced the air lock open to empty the base of oxygen. then I assigned my builders to destroy it.
They fly over there, destroy one of the outer walls - so far so good - then they destroy the wall connecting this oxygen free room with the life support room, merging the two, and flooding the room with oxygen. The builders then decide, "oh my! there's oxygen here!" and take off their space suits, and seconds later they run around like headless mooks whilst "panicking about lack of oxygen."

tl;dr: go play Startopia or Space Colony instead

Bobbix

I got paid to like Thi4f
It's pretty much bare bones at current moment. Maybe in 1-2 years it will be on Theme Hospital level.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People are surprised that games in alpha state play like games in alpha stage.

Dragula

Augur
The way they are burning through money now, no, I think not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom